What's the difference between a TSX and Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between a TSX and Accord?

What distinguishes the U.S. TSX and U.S. Accord other than the make and appearance that attracts people to buy the TSX over the Accord? Most of the comfort and luxury features in the TSX can be had in the Accord. The Accord can be bought with a more powerful engine than the TSX. So what's the difference that makes people prefer the TSX over the Accord?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
appearance!! lol
Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Advanced

the 03+ accord is a boat compared to the tsx.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Racer

The TSX has been engineered to be a sportier drive than the North American Accord. It handles better.

In my test drive of both (top of the line V6 Accord), I felt a firmer suspension with the TSX, so I felt more bumps, but I also felt each bump was slightly better cushioned in the TSX. Sounds paradoxal I know, but the road feel is excellent in the TSX, while remaining comfortable IMO.

The Accord is better if you don't care so much about driving dynamics and prefer a softer ride. It also has the V6 available.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Acura badge!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM
The Mac

Basically, the TSX would have been the accord for the US, but people are just too big (fat) in the US to fit comfortably. The trend for American cars is, the bigger the better. Yes, if you're an undisciplined eater. No, if you prefer drivability.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord is built in Marysville, Ohio
it has only 15 % "content" from Japan, which is the transmission.
85% is from America.

Acura TSX is built in Sayama, Saitama, Japan
that's right, 95% "content" from Japan. only 5% from america, which is our A/C system.
its brand name, engine quality, fuel economy, and etc.

now we can call TSX real japanese product, not honda accord.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The US Accord is a luxury model. The TSX is clearly an upscale sport sedan, with a few extras that I don't think you'll find in a US Accord. Of course, OP, you appear not to have read any automotive reviews or the Consumer Reports overview. There are pronounced differences.

What swayed me from an Accord V6 EX to a TSX ... Acura's service reputation, reliability, and a plethora of thoughtful amenities. Oh, and the TSX was more fun to drive than the "more powerful" Accord. It has more zip from a more efficient (?) engine.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Racer

The TSX is much sexier than the US Accord... duh
Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Racer

like most people said.....it looks way much better than the US Accord
Old 08-18-2007, 03:15 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by tdizzle26
What distinguishes the U.S. TSX and U.S. Accord other than the make and appearance that attracts people to buy the TSX over the Accord? Most of the comfort and luxury features in the TSX can be had in the Accord. The Accord can be bought with a more powerful engine than the TSX. So what's the difference that makes people prefer the TSX over the Accord?

Use the search, young Skywalker.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Advanced

Hmmm, I dont get it . The car is made in Japan so its better ? So Honda factories in Japan have more strict guidelines on quality than US Honda factories ? Some of Hondas senior engineers are Americans and Europeans that desighn for all 3 big markets . So I guess Americans and Europeans just suck and are lazy and cant screw a bolt on ?

A honda product is a Honda product no matter where it is manafactured and has the same quality control and standards across the board .
Old 08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jaehshim
Honda Accord is built in Marysville, Ohio
it has only 15 % "content" from Japan, which is the transmission.
85% is from America.

Acura TSX is built in Sayama, Saitama, Japan
that's right, 95% "content" from Japan. only 5% from america, which is our A/C system.
its brand name, engine quality, fuel economy, and etc.

now we can call TSX real japanese product, not honda accord.
4Cyl Accords for the NA market are built in Ohio, Japan and Mexico. Just worked on a '07 JHM Accord a couple days ago.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
edmunds comparison tool is your friend

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...=3&tab=pricing
Old 08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Race Director

basically all the edmunds says is the TSX is only less than $1000 more than the Accord and it has a longer warranty and roadside assistance.

the ugly looks of the Accord made me not want to trade in my 6th gen Accord sedan for a 7th current gen Accord. so i looked at the TL first, but couldn't afford it and the RSX was too small, so glad they decided to bring the "real" Accord to the USA.

still wish they had a small v6 option in the TSX too. people say it can't fit in the TSX, but how come the 5th gen Accord 1995-1997, there was a V6 in there and it was about the same size or even a little smaller than the TSX??
Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The US Accord is freakin' huge!! I didn't want a big car, so I didn't want an Accord. (I like the interior of the TSX better too, but the size difference, and generalized "boat-ness" of the Accord made it a non-choice)
Old 08-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by infantry
Hmmm, I dont get it . The car is made in Japan so its better ? So Honda factories in Japan have more strict guidelines on quality than US Honda factories ? Some of Hondas senior engineers are Americans and Europeans that desighn for all 3 big markets . So I guess Americans and Europeans just suck and are lazy and cant screw a bolt on ?

A honda product is a Honda product no matter where it is manafactured and has the same quality control and standards across the board .
So how would you explain the quality control difference between the TSX and TL? I wanted a TL, but bought the TSX because I didn't want the headaches that came along with the TL...
Old 08-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by pollofrito21
the 03+ accord is a boat compared to the tsx.
and as a result gets worse gas mileage, doesn't look as nice, etc, etc, etc.

Doesn't hurt that the TSX has leather standard, either
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Other than the v6 opt on the Accord, there is nothing else the Accord has that compares to the TSX in the luxury/sport category. Just having a few extra hp does not make a sports sedan. Look at Altima, Camry, Fusion, G6, Passat, etc.. (Mazdaspeed6 is the only exception to this group). They all have v6 engines and you can purchase options that equal or exceeds the TSX price.

You will find a lot of comparisons of the TSX to Maxima, G35, TL, Audi and BMW. The TSX just needs a turbo and/or v6 option for 2009-2014 model years.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 PM
6MT or Death

As Mark pointed out the TL vs. TSX comparison would somewhat indicate there must be a difference between the Japanese and American factories.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced

You know the diffrence between a chevy and a honda in quality are ? About 3 defects per 1000 . Very insignificant to say the least . I drive a Acura because I like the car, not who makes it . My father owns a corvette and a new Cadillac and I wouldnt classify either or as peices of crap . Just one of those subjuects that kind of get under my skin, that the American worker is inferior .
Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Pro

Svelte, lithe canyon carver vs cushy grocery getter.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro

If you have to ask, then the driving characteristics of the TSX probably won't really matter that much to you, and the equipment list of your appliance-on-wheels is probably all that really matters, and you'll be perfectly happy with the Accord.

Reminds me of a 13-year old nephew of mine, who asked his dad at a cookout what's the big deal about steak when hamburgers are just as yummy.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Car Nut

^ ^ ^
Nice analogy!

Seriously, test drive both and you won't ask anymore!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You know the diffrence between a chevy and a honda in quality are ? About 3 defects per 1000 . Very insignificant to say the least . I drive a Acura because I like the car, not who makes it . My father owns a corvette and a new Cadillac and I wouldnt classify either or as peices of crap . Just one of those subjuects that kind of get under my skin, that the American worker is inferior .
It's not all about statistics. People can quote various statistics to support their side. Most of the people see the differences due to their personal experiences. My family used to be an American/European only family. We got so tired of all the break-downs...so we decided to try a Japanese car. Now we don't have to treat our Japanese cars as well as our American cars...they'll still be far more reliable and dependable.

It's not that the American worker is inferior. In fact, I think Americans are the best trained with the best access to equipment and technology. The problem is the work ethic of Americans. While Japanese build their cars with pride in their product, Americans want to shave off work here and there. (Just like how my co-workers screwed me over today =P) I live near where a GM plant used to be. A former co-worker had bought a car made at that plant...and I think even took a tour there. Anyway, she noticed that the workers would be across the street during their lunch hour, and they'd go back to work all drunk.

Think of all your former jobs...you can probably remember people who skipped steps, minimized the amount of work produced, etc. The American mentality is individuality...it's all about the person. Asian mentality is the group, whether it be family or work.

As for the original post...there was a thread about this last year I believe.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro

you should be flamed...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 AM

Trolls aren't worth the fuel.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Poser / Fanboi

You know the diffrence between a chevy and a honda in quality are ? About 3 defects per 1000 . Very insignificant to say the least .
Actually it's more like 30 in 1000, which is still small, but again, there's more to it than statistics. IIRC, Japan has done wonders not in the engineering realm (not that they're bad there, they just haven't beaten American firms) but rather, in improving processes. Here (again, IIRC) they have excelled beyond anyone's imagination... and if you have a more efficient (read: cheaper) build process, you can one of do several things: 1) sell your similar-quality cars for much cheaper, undercutting the competition (this is what used to happen); or 2) throw some of your savings back into the cars, yielding a car that costs the same as others, but is much nicer. #2 is the current course of many Japanese manufacturers. Indeed, many people are now willing to pay more for Japanese cars not just for reliability but because they also have better materials, better component fitment, more innovative features, etc. All because they saved enough money on the build process that they could do all the extra stuff and still sell at a reasonable price.

I'm a Honda Fanboi - so perhaps there's bias in there. But there was a recent NYTimes article on how Toyota is kicking every other motor company's ass, and I'm pretty sure this was the gist of the article. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to see the US motor companies catch up, but they seem to be more interested in selling crappy SUVs at maximum profit than actually improving their technology or processes. So they will go bankrupt.

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
It's not that the American worker is inferior. In fact, I think Americans are the best trained with the best access to equipment and technology. The problem is the work ethic of Americans.
There's an obvious stereotype forwarded here that is revolting. I'm an American of European descent (a little Native American thrown in there too), and I work my ass off. I know other Americans (from other descent - European, Asian, Indian, African, Indigenous American), all of whom are hard workers. Don't tell me there's a work ethic problem with Americans. Some Americans, maybe; but I doubt any country's workforce is comprised entirely of "super workers".

You can make an argument from the differences in the collective philosophies typically part of Asian societies -vs- the more individual-oriented philosophies of Europe and the US, but don't tell me it means all US workers are lazy and cut corners because that's patently false.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I thought we were talking about the difference between the TSX and Accord
Old 08-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by silkk8482
I thought we were talking about the difference between the TSX and Accord
Yes but isn't it interesting how things evolve?

An Accord is not just an Accord!

And actually, since the Accord is US-made, and the TSX is made in Japan, we're still on topic!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Actually Americans work more hours than any country in the world so their is no question of work ethic . And yes the Japanese are fantastic workers and build superb quality . The Japanese econimy is not as productive as the combined econimies of California, Oregon and Washington .
Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced

I love my Acura and I own two other honda products because I think they are great cars . So dont get me wrong, Im a honda Head, but the quality of my wifes Accord is awesome and I refuse to beleive that its build quality is Inferior to my Acura . Its not a acura, thats for sure, but they are two diffrent vehicles with diffrent engineering standards .
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced

I recant the econimy statement, Its the combined econimys of California, New York and Texas .
Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

I drove my friend's Toyota Avalon and somehow I could tell it was made in the US before I found out it actualy was. I don't remember what it was that tipped it off, maybe the design, or the paneling materials, or maybe the super springy suspension. Something did though. I did not care for that car at all. It couldn't be more average and anonymous if it tried.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Actually Americans work more hours than any country in the world so their is no question of work ethic . And yes the Japanese are fantastic workers and build superb quality . The Japanese econimy is not as productive as the combined econimies of California, Oregon and Washington .
Gee, I thought that Japan was leading the world in male middle-age heart problems, partly due to a heavier normal workload per capita.
I love my Acura and I own two other honda products because I think they are great cars . So dont get me wrong, Im a honda Head, but the quality of my wifes Accord is awesome and I refuse to beleive that its build quality is Inferior to my Acura . Its not a acura, thats for sure, but they are two diffrent vehicles with diffrent engineering standards .
Thank you! I thought several of us were making good cases for the TSX and (US) Accord being differently engineered and produced cars, but to no avail. Some trolls just will not budge from the view that "an Accord by any other name is still an Accord."
Old 08-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Poser / Fanboi

+1 Agree almost completely.

I didn't get into this when I wrote the long-winded rant above, but really by improving the process Honda (and thus, Acura) engineers have enabled better quality/materials in their finished products regardless who's doing the work on the manufacturing line. At this point I would think the differences between US-made and Japanese-made Hondas are minimal. I would be interested in hearing otherwise.

Unfortunately, because many US-based motor companies (GM, Ford) do not have as efficient processes, their products suffer. But it would be wrong to say US Automakers' products are as bad as they used to be; they make pretty good cars. Honda/Toyota have just pushed harder, and in my and the market's opinion, do a better job. The world market rewards the best - Toyota is about to become the #1 world automaker.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I own a TSX, in the last 15 years we've only bought new or used Japanese cars. I also audit GM. Let me tell you, the Impala is an amazingly well built car - not sure what the stats say but people I know with them, don't have a problem and the car delivers better performance than promised including better real world actual fuel efficiency than a V6 Accord. I know people with Accords there wonderful - but don't say that GM in particular is building inferior product, they are not. And by the way our 91 Aerostar had zero problems, marginally better than our 96 Camry. But....resale - there are many people who don't understand or believe what I've said and hence resale suck on North American cars. But if you are looking for value and don't mind the design of a GM car, and you want to keep it for a long time (hence residuals not an issue on leases, and resale) then you should visit your GM dealer - you will be suprised.

Accord vs. TSX - okay - I'll just scratch the surface on this one - our TSX looks and is smaller than an Accord - yet it weighs the same or more depending on trim, tranny. How can this be? THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE GROUND UP IN ARCHITECTURE. The question is do you appreciate the thousands of differences from aluminum suspension components to a rear air diffuser to auto roll down and up windows from the key lock/pad for the extra money.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced

mmmm, interesting conversation here. The US Accord has exactly the same interior as my 2006 UK Honda Accord Tourer, however, my 2006 UK Honda Accord Tourer has the same body as the US Acura TSX, albeit a wagon. So how does size come into it, the interiors are identical. You guys just have too much choice on your hands.! So essentially, the US Accord interior would drop straight into the TSX, so they cant be that different
Old 08-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellas9
I own a TSX, in the last 15 years we've only bought new or used Japanese cars. I also audit GM. Let me tell you, the Impala is an amazingly well built car - not sure what the stats say but people I know with them, don't have a problem and the car delivers better performance than promised including better real world actual fuel efficiency than a V6 Accord. I know people with Accords there wonderful - but don't say that GM in particular is building inferior product, they are not. And by the way our 91 Aerostar had zero problems, marginally better than our 96 Camry. But....resale - there are many people who don't understand or believe what I've said and hence resale suck on North American cars. But if you are looking for value and don't mind the design of a GM car, and you want to keep it for a long time (hence residuals not an issue on leases, and resale) then you should visit your GM dealer - you will be suprised.

Accord vs. TSX - okay - I'll just scratch the surface on this one - our TSX looks and is smaller than an Accord - yet it weighs the same or more depending on trim, tranny. How can this be? THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE GROUND UP IN ARCHITECTURE. The question is do you appreciate the thousands of differences from aluminum suspension components to a rear air diffuser to auto roll down and up windows from the key lock/pad for the extra money.
I'm not gonna debate accord vs. tsx other than to say for me it's all about the better handling of the TSX and the styling. But I do want to second you on American made build quality at GM going way up since the late 80's-mid 90's. It's the styling, cheapo materials, and past reputation that American car companies need to get beyond these days.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hondatourer
mmmm, interesting conversation here. The US Accord has exactly the same interior as my 2006 UK Honda Accord Tourer, however, my 2006 UK Honda Accord Tourer has the same body as the US Acura TSX, albeit a wagon. So how does size come into it, the interiors are identical. You guys just have too much choice on your hands.! So essentially, the US Accord interior would drop straight into the TSX, so they cant be that different
No, the US Accord has a wider interior than the UK Accord Tourer. They look the same but if you take a tape measure to measure the length of the trim across the dash, they are different.

Quick Reply: What's the difference between a TSX and Accord?