What kind of VTEC does our TSX's have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 03:35 AM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of VTEC does our TSX's have?

the new K series has the i vtec that i know..

but there are versions of it, ie vtec-e (not sure of the correct name)
which is found in the k20 160hp model (Civic Si, RSX Non-S)
where Type S has another kind of Vtec which is more performance
oriented... and has vtec on both intake/exhaust (dono how that
works either) just wondering if our version of k24 have those?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have the one on both intake/exhaust... and the timing changes as well... i-vtec (i think the i stands for intelligent)
Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

All of the K-series engines have what is known as i-VTEC (yes, the "i" is for intelligent). The difference between i-VTEC and VTEC of past comes from a new integrated system called VTC (variable timing control). This new supplement enables the intake cam to be constantly variable, rather than having to hit a certain rpm to engage its higher output modes. In addition to the new camshaft-timing system, the engine is now driven by a timing chain (rather than a timing belt). It also has 3 modes of engagement of its output modes, as opposed to the 1 mode that the older VTEC systems have ( that hit at 1 rpm to get full engagement). It enables smoother acceleration, a flatter torque curve, and a feel that a 4-cylinder engines are not known for (a buttery smoooth torque delivery without the jerkiness normally associated with cars that have high torque peaks with no flatness). Not only is it a great way to improve the feel of a little engine, but it also has more spaced-out maintainance intervals and lower emissions with improved fuel economy. Honda has this new system that is a win-win for consumers. You still get a fun 4-banger that is not only easier to own and maintain, but is also better for the environment. Not bad for the little motorcycle company that could.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

Timing chain...sweet! So there's no need to change it every 90k miles or so like I did in my 90 Integra?
Old 02-26-2004, 10:16 AM
UK Spec

Originally posted by DEVO
you have the one on both intake/exhaust... and the timing changes as well... i-vtec (i think the i stands for intelligent)
awesome!
thanks...
Old 02-26-2004, 10:16 AM
UK Spec

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
All of the K-series engines have what is known as i-VTEC (yes, the "i" is for intelligent). The difference between i-VTEC and VTEC of past comes from a new integrated system called VTC (variable timing control). This new supplement enables the intake cam to be constantly variable, rather than having to hit a certain rpm to engage its higher output modes. In addition to the new camshaft-timing system, the engine is now driven by a timing chain (rather than a timing belt). It also has 3 modes of engagement of its output modes, as opposed to the 1 mode that the older VTEC systems have ( that hit at 1 rpm to get full engagement). It enables smoother acceleration, a flatter torque curve, and a feel that a 4-cylinder engines are not known for (a buttery smoooth torque delivery without the jerkiness normally associated with cars that have high torque peaks with no flatness). Not only is it a great way to improve the feel of a little engine, but it also has more spaced-out maintainance intervals and lower emissions with improved fuel economy. Honda has this new system that is a win-win for consumers. You still get a fun 4-banger that is not only easier to own and maintain, but is also better for the environment. Not bad for the little motorcycle company that could.
thanks KB...

Old 02-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Racer

wow!!!....great information, thx!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Burning Brakes

it's pretty much the samething that toyota has in VVTL-i or the vvti which has been around for about 5 years now with the constant variable timming instead of the old vtec rpm engagement point.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by gilboman
it's pretty much the samething that toyota has in VVTL-i or the vvti which has been around for about 5 years now with the constant variable timming instead of the old vtec rpm engagement point.
Yeah, Honda's only had it for 4 years now.