What do you do when you pull up beside a cop or when you get pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 06:00 PM
HOWARD911S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Howard911s,

I have a question for you. What typically happens if a cop sees you driving too fast or running a red light but it doesn't happen in their jurisdiction. For instance, if I was speeding in Los Angeles, but a CHP officer or a Torrance PD officer sees me. Would they pull me over? If they did, do they have the authority to issue a ticket if the violation took place outside of their city or jurisdiction?

How about when I'm driving on the freeway and there's a non-CHP cop next to me. Would the non-CHP cop really care about how fast I was going?

GOOD QUESTION! any police officer in a marked vehicle has the power and authority to pull you over and issue citation regardless of the jurisdiction and city boundaries.. HOwever, we do not usually do it, cause when we go out of our jurisdiction in marked car, its usually for some other administrative business and its gotta be taken care off. We want to minimize the chance of getting into some uncalled for situation outside our area, like shooting, pursuit.. use of force incident..BUT! if we see reckless driving, or something of a scale that may cause a hazard to self and public, we can and we have pulled people over... usually no ticket will be given.. cause different jurisdiction and diffierent court date blah blah, but if CHP and Torrance PD want to , they can give you a ticket and even arrest you in City of LA.

ON FREEWAY, yes, like above, any marked police vehicle can pull you over and give you ticket...
Old 09-10-2005, 06:10 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by CERISE
THAT IS VERY VERY TRUE!!!! GUYS (and gals) if u've got ur DL and registration and stuff someplace that u kno EXACTLY where it is, fine in the couple moments you have before he gets to ur car, get it out.

But if u have to go rummaging through your glove box or in the back seat or something, stay put with ur hands on the wheel.

My Girlfriend nearly got shot dead rite in the passenger seat next to me once when I got pulled over while driving through Georgia in the US. she was tryin to get my wallet which I had put in a bag that had been stuffed under the passenger seat, when the cop came up to the car, there she was on her knees lookin under the seat tryna get to the bag. (the car was full of luggage cus we were drivin back to TO from Miami)

Cop was like " MA'AM IF U DO NOT GET YOUR HANDS OUT FROM UNDER THAT SEAT I WILL BE FORCED TO USE MY WEAPON!!"

I can understand that it may have looked like she was actually STUFFIN somethin under the seat as oppsed to tryna take it out, or like she was reachin for a weapon, But it was scary as hell... I've heard bad things bout those Atlanta and Georgia Police...especially where black people are concerned.

needless to say she started panickin and tryna explain to him that she was gettin out my wallet.

as it turned out, the cop left me with a firm "IF I HEAR BOUT YOU SPEEDIN IN MY STATE AGAIN...." and walked off.

that was the first time they started pullin they're guns on me... its happened quite a few times since.... completely not needed!!!

BLESS!!

actually it is completely needed contrary to what most people think. MOST POLICE OFFICER KILLED in the line of duty are from traffic stop, reason? cause when police pull someone over, they usually do not know what the guy had done beyond looking suspicious or speed violation, however!! the guy in the car may be rapist, seriel killer, bank robbery, have 3 strikes on him.. or he may have just SHOT and killed someone in the next city that police do not know about yet! but HE may think the police is after him for what he had done when cops dont even know wat he had done, they just open fire and shoot first.

May i suggest to everyone, to avoid getting shot or misunderstanding, when you get pulled over, TURN ON the dome/interior light of the car, all passenger put your hand either on the dash board or the steering wheel, that way, from far away, police can see well lit interior of vehicle and can see all your hands.. taken that worry away, you guys may get off to a good start.

a while ago, this LA County Sheriff car pulled over a guy. actually was attempting to, the guy stopped in middle of the street on 119th street, got off the car, sprayed the deputies and black white with AK-47 as he got off the car.................. they were pulling him over only for speed violation, hope this share a little bit insight as to why police can be high strung, hands on guns when they pull anyone over....
Old 09-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Advanced

If i se the cops and I am speeding, my radar detector usually
gives me a few seconds notice and i drop to a lower gear.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:04 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by studdly
If i se the cops and I am speeding, my radar detector usually
gives me a few seconds notice and i drop to a lower gear.
true, but 2 things to concern about

1) if u are going too fast. you wont slow down fast enough in that few seconds. so radar is good so long u are doing the speed that will allow u to slow down to enough speed in time

2) if its laser.. its too late
Old 09-10-2005, 07:21 PM
TSX4EVR

I haven't had a speeding ticket for a few years now (had my picture taken a few times by photo radar) but back in my younger days I was stopped by police officers a few times. Sometimes I got off and sometimes I didn't. Sometimes they just reduced the amount of the fine.

To get off I would basically tell true stories that perhaps they found entertaining. I one time got out of my car and walked bow legged to the police officer telling him that I was speeding home to go to the washroom as I had Vietnamese food for lunch and it wasn't agreeing with me. He smiled, warned me and let me go.

I once was racing home in Toronto way back when the speed limit was still in mph and the limit was 70 mph. I was going over a 100 mph in my Honda Civic CVCC. The cop pulled me over and I sheepishly said that I didn't realize I was speeding. He said like hell, I lost you back there and you were going over a 100 weaving in and out of traffic. He gave me a ticket, but for only 10 mph over the limit.

I'm a little wiser now and drive a little slower. The police officers here let you go about 9 kph ( 5+ mph) and they won't bother you. I know that back in Toronto you can go 20 or 30 k (15+ mph) over the limit on the 401 and not raise an eyebrow.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
You have photo radar out where you are eh Excited. I remember when they had that in Toronto,.......there was talk earlier this year of bringing it back,......ppl HATE IT. I dont think its going to happen here,..but ya never know. I know it would get me hahahaha.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Typically, how much over the limit on highways can a person go without raising suspicion? 5mph over, 7mph over???
Old 09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by NickR
Typically, how much over the limit on highways can a person go without raising suspicion? 5mph over, 7mph over???

5-10 mph usually , wont cause any trouble, but dont be doing 5-10 mph over and weeving in and out of traffic...

do not attract attention is the key word
Old 09-11-2005, 09:10 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by West6MT
You have photo radar out where you are eh Excited. I remember when they had that in Toronto,.......there was talk earlier this year of bringing it back,......ppl HATE IT. I dont think its going to happen here,..but ya never know. I know it would get me hahahaha.
I used to live in Toronto when it first came out. The first day most people noticably slowed down not knowing what to expect, but slowly but surely drivers went back to their normal speeds. I was still living in TO when it was removed.

If you are paying attention, most times you can spot the photo radar vans but every once in a while they find a really good spot to hide. The only good thing is no points and no hit to your insurance.

I have a feeling that I will have a few pics taken in the TSX. I will have to keep it clean so it looks it's best.

Excited
Old 09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
HOWARD911S

in los angeles. we have installed lots of red light camera. and they are all active, taking pictures and issing tickets..
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Saw the thread from the azine front page. My first and only ticket ever was for my comptech exhaust being too loud. Haha. In retrospec, the officer was probably suspicious as to why i was going 40 in a 45 at 11pm at night and why I passed up on going through a yellow. She was following me for a solid 3 minutes with her lights off, but I noticed her for the spot. 85 dollar ticket. they were cracking down on street racers that weekend.

But back on topic, I usually try to just act normal around them. If I see a cop around me, I usually tend to go as fast as he is as long as he's not up to anything (like, if he's going 50 in a 45, and i'm behind or beside him I will too.) My best cop experience was out in Emporia (probably the most notorious speed trap city in VA. The speed limit changes from 60 to 55 to 45 to 35 in a 2 minute time span. Anyway, there was a cop that busted a U but didnt appear to be goign after anyone. I was in the right lane in the TL going around 4-5 over, but the car infront of me was driving like a granny and going a solid 9-10 over. I wanted to get over to the left lane to make the pass, but the young lady in the car beside decided she wasnt going to let me in even though i had space at the time. She closed the gap fast and passed me going 7-8 over (not bad, but her desire to keep me from getting infront of her was so blatantly obvious and assholic, seeing that the drive infront of me was going so unnecessarily slow). I got over behind her, and the cop comes behind me flashing lights, i move over infront of the van to get over to the shoulder, the cop looks over at me and gives me this half knod smile, and pulls over the lady who wouldnt let me over. It must've been the funniest thing I'd ever seen. Haha, as sorry as I feel for all my friends with horrible police experiences, and as sure as I am that i'll have a bad night with some too, that story right there keeps them A-okay in my book
Old 09-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Got Phó?

If i have a radar and you guys pulled me over, will you take it away?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Racer

i got pulled over a week or two cop saw me doing 55 in a 45 did a 180 and pulled me over before he got to my car door i had my license and insurance sticking out, he then told me he pulled me over cause he clocked me doing a 55 on a 45 and i said i was really sorry i only saw on my speedometer that i was doing 50 and im really really sorry about it, he said that was ok and asked me if i had any warrants on my licenses or any of that sort i said no sir and then he asked me if he could check and i said sure, so he went behind my car checked with dmv and in a min he came back saying they were taking too long to check and told me to have a nice night and be safe and slow down and let me go
Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unmarked cars...

We have a few unmarked vehicles (charcoal impalas) cruising the freeways. My wife says she will not stop for an unmarked vehicle at nite....I have told her to get off freeway into well lit public area...any thoughts??

I t would not take much for a crazy to get blinking red lites and impersonate as they kill you....
Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 PM
slr
Advanced

i just got a ticket yesterday for driving 50 at a 40 in front of my aprtment. I wasnt using my radar.. There's a slowF150, he was like 25mph or less. I was passing him, then a cop was already in my tail.
"Do you know how fast you were driving??"
"No, i was just trying to pass that car"
"you were 49.5 at a 40, i'm giving you a ticket, you can take the DSC or get a trial, if u're lucky, I wont be there"
I've been 120mph and I got pulled over for 49.5...
Old 09-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Racer

Howard911s,

I also have a question for you too regarding a license plate cover over the rear of my license plate. Is it legal to have a rear cover over my rear plates? It is not the tinted kind, but is all clear. I heard it is not legal to have anything over the rear plates but want to make sure before I pull it off. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
HOWARD,

Are you a commissioned officer with patrol duties?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Because Of You

They let me go all the time by some unknown reason.
only one time the guy gave me a ticket for blocking him in the freeway...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:53 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Howard911s i didnt see you post this, but what is the best line you have ever heard doing a traffic stop?

in reference to my reply in another thread, i would just like to say i do have respect for police for the most part , think you have a tough job that not many people can handle. its just getting tailgated and seeing police randomly disobey traffic laws (for no reason) really pisses me off...I really see this too often where i am from...Suburbia, NJ

driving through VA, a State Trooper nagged me, I Admitted to speeding 20mph ^ and even called him "sir" and he let me off without even a warning, that was good police.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by bignips
Howard911s i didnt see you post this, but what is the best line you have ever heard doing a traffic stop?

in reference to my reply in another thread, i would just like to say i do have respect for police for the most part , think you have a tough job that not many people can handle. its just getting tailgated and seeing police randomly disobey traffic laws (for no reason) really pisses me off...I really see this too often where i am from...Suburbia, NJ

driving through VA, a State Trooper nagged me, I Admitted to speeding 20mph ^ and even called him "sir" and he let me off without even a warning, that was good police.
there are so many instance where we have to disregard traffic rule and not light up and no sireen. i.e. hostage situation, someones house being broken in, citizen on phone with us, we dont want to alert them as it is. robbery in progress with hostage, or silent panic alarm, we wanna get there asap wthout ouor presence being known. these, normal people are not exposed to and nobody explain to regular folks, therefore lots of impression on police disobey rule for no reason all the time.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Instructor

How is it that cops are supposed to protect us but isntead, they just put fear in our hearts?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=danishj]How is it that cops are supposed to protect us but isntead, they just put fear in our hearts?[/QUOTE

Fear of getting arrested, going to jail, doing time, getting shot keep the bad hearted somewhat in line and us normal hearted safe from them. Imagine if there was no fear......
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Instructor

I live in Vancouver, Canada, haven't got a ticket here for 8 years. However, last year, I got two when I was going to the States. I got ticket for both times and without any discount. One was 70mph in 60mph (I was really going 70, nothing more) and the other was 60mph in 50mph (same situation). What's dumb was, during both times, the speed limit just changed (dropped 10mph) and I didn't know the signs very well and didn't see it. They were friendly, even guided me out of where I was, but ticket was a must for them. No luck for me...
Old 09-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by stogie1020
HOWARD,

Are you a commissioned officer with patrol duties?
Bump
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was 16 I was driving my grandpas truck going 40 in a 30 and got pulled over. My dad is a retired cop, and my brother is a cop that worked with the guy who pulled me over. My dumb ass could have gotten out of it, but didn't mention who my brother was. To top it off, I never went to traffic school and they sent my dad a letter in the mail that my drivers liscense would be suspended. My secret was out and my brother got it taken care of. I was a real dumb ass.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Smile

Some very good info.

The part where you put your hands on the wheel and passenger on the dash when getting pulled over kinda makes me feel like I am guilty of some big ass crime and that I have finally got caught and I am giving up now. But then again better to be alive than get shot right?

I got pulled over once with my modified civic before and the reason I was told was because someone with the same name as mine was wanted. I was doing less than speed limit cuz of traffic plus I was stuffed from lunch so I usually drive good when stuffed.

I wonder if cops focus at the really really bad drivers. The ones that can't signal when changing lanes, don't look at bling spots, drive really really slow, etc...they are the ones that pisses alot of people on the road and make drivers more reckless. I have had guys pull right into my lane doing 20 below speed limit while I am at speed limit.

Oh well.

Very good posts
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

i do admit there are good cops but sometimes they are bastards. there was this one time when i was driving at night. i was like a few hundreds feets away from the light that was green than than i saw cops flashing their lights so i stopped, but they didnt move so i accerlerated again but than he honked at me so i stopped. after that he drove by n gave me a finger. than i was like wtf someone u expect to protect u giving u a finger is uncall for.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by TsxDriver04
i do admit there are good cops but sometimes they are bastards. there was this one time when i was driving at night. i was like a few hundreds feets away from the light that was green than than i saw cops flashing their lights so i stopped, but they didnt move so i accerlerated again but than he honked at me so i stopped. after that he drove by n gave me a finger. than i was like wtf someone u expect to protect u giving u a finger is uncall for.
did you stop in front of him, in the middle of the road? Pull over to the right!! Thats what he wanted you to do.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 AM
10th Gear

I believe that if you're upfront with a cop, they go easier on you. I took an offramp once to skip about a 1/4 mile of freeway traffic and pulled an illegal u-turn through a median to get on the next onramp and he magically appeared in my rearview. So he asks me, "how much time do you think you would've saved doing that?." I tell him, "I don't know... a minute or two?" He smirks, warns me that he'll be at that spot all day, everyday, and to tell my friends and family that and walks away. I'm sure it would've been a different story if I told him 15-20 minutes.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I pull out my PBA or DEA card and tell him to f*ck off

JK, but I do pull out the card (uncle is retired NYPD detective) and act scared and like I've never been pulled over before.
Gotten away probably 6 times (out of 6 times) for stupid things (blocking the box in NYC, illegal U turns, busted headlight, tint) and only a couple times for speeding.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TsxDriver04
Chicago PD is not always known for their demeanor. Especially if you get caught when you live in suburbia - they always wanted to know just why I was in Chicago.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

what seems to be the officer porblem?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

WHEN I SEE A COP and im speeding, i slow down by NOT pressing the BRAKES, cuz like someone said, its admitting guilt. and you get his attention, I have seen many cops pull people over after they slam on the brakes cuz their speeding.

What I do is, (this has happened before)
1) DOWN SHIFT (engine braking)
2) Pull handbrakes in a slow slow motion,
and BAM you just went from 90 --> 65mph without using ur brakes .....
hopefully ur not racing, and the person behind you crashes up to you.....
thats a mess...

DONT STREET RACE!!

TSX is meant for autoX. hehehehe
Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

i give the old Military ID and be polite and respectful and very truthful.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rpappi
i give the old Military ID and be polite and respectful and very truthful.
I would motion like i'm pulling a gat on him as he's walking up. They LOVE that kind of stuff.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:50 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

thats always a good start. and right before he gives you a pat down you should piss yourself.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by acura_ak
Howard911s,

I also have a question for you too regarding a license plate cover over the rear of my license plate. Is it legal to have a rear cover over my rear plates? It is not the tinted kind, but is all clear. I heard it is not legal to have anything over the rear plates but want to make sure before I pull it off. Thanks.
Depends on your state. In AZ, no cover of any kind. Not sure about CA, but probably the same.

Believe it or not, if you see a police officer at a restaurant or coffe shop, feel free to walk up and ask him or her. More often than not, if you are polite (and don't sneek up!) you will get a very informative response, and not a lecture. Give it a try!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
If i have a radar and you guys pulled me over, will you take it away?
Not unless it's illegal in your state. And don't try to hide it, whenever I saw suction cup marks on the windshield, I would chuckle to myself and look for the coiled cord under the passenger seat....
Old 09-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by raheel616
i got pulled over a week or two cop saw me doing 55 in a 45 did a 180 and pulled me over before he got to my car door i had my license and insurance sticking out, he then told me he pulled me over cause he clocked me doing a 55 on a 45 and i said i was really sorry i only saw on my speedometer that i was doing 50 and im really really sorry about it, he said that was ok and asked me if i had any warrants on my licenses or any of that sort i said no sir and then he asked me if he could check and i said sure, so he went behind my car checked with dmv and in a min he came back saying they were taking too long to check and told me to have a nice night and be safe and slow down and let me go

Best way to handle it. Appologize, be polite regardless, and more often than not, you will get a warning, or at least a reduced ticket. I used to ask people (after they were honest about speeding, etc..) to give me the most creative excuse they could think of, then no ticket. I should write a book with what people came up with!

OK, three in a row, I am done for tonight.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by feelgood13
I would motion like i'm pulling a gat on him as he's walking up. They LOVE that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: What do you do when you pull up beside a cop or when you get pulled over?