What do you do when you pull up beside a cop or when you get pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 05:09 PM
HOWARD911S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do when you pull up beside a cop or when you get pulled over?

Just want to hear some more kind of excuses tsx driver may give when get pulled over for any kind of reasons..... to enrich my library of collections~~

last time when i got off work at 2am...I only got 1 block away from work....this black/white drove toward me... as soon as he saw me.. he did a 180 (talking to myself OH SHIT!) and pulled me over. 2 guys got off the car... walked up....shine the infamous mag light in my face... 'sir, I pulled you over because.................OH SHIT', i said 'no shit...can I go home now'....cant believe he didnt recognize my car.. and he ran my plate, but didnt wait for the dmv return and came to me he became the laughing stock for next week...

FUnny thing was... that day, he was determined to give ticket... 1) he pulled over a firefighter....no can do... 2) he pulled over this chick who just burst out crying as soon as he walked up to her..... (he too soft hearted).. 3) he was sooooooooo determined when he pulled me over and saw me................ cracking me up.... overall a bad day for him....
Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 PM
HOWARD911S

Also curious about what you guys think and do when you pull up beside... drive in front of.. or behind a cop.... not sure if you guys know this... but.. the normal peoples instinct is to slow down scared of getting a ticket....police get so frustrated surrounded by all these cars slowing down in front. beside, and behind him... he cant tell them to go faster, and he cant go faster himself.. hahaha its a glorious powerful trap
Old 09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Last time I was pulled over (first time in the TSX... enjoying VTEC on some open back roads), I was cresting a very flat-ish hill, at the same time as the cop of course. He flashed the cherries and pointed towards the side of the road...

I immediately pulled over, knowing I was in the wrong. He was blunt, but courteous, and I didn't try to make any excuses, etc... just sucked it up. He clocked me at 129 in an 80 zone (km/h). That's a ticket worth over $350 and I believe 5 or 6 demerit points. OUCH.

He came back to my car after I gave him the license and registration and insurance papers, and had knocked it down to 14 km/h over... which is $45 + $10 "victim surcharge" for a grand total of $55.00 and zero demerits.

Being forthright, owning up to your indiscetions, and not trying to use the 'ol excuse book on any seasoned cop, will normally get you this nice treatment.

Mind you a few years back I was at a red light waiting to turn left, following some friends for a late night soup (Pho.... yummy). We were dicking around and when the light went green I dropped the clutch form about 5000rpm (Integra) and squawked the tires for a good 5-8 seconds...

Well whaddya know, waiting at the now-red light, in the direction I was turning, was guess-who.

He pulled a U-turn and pulle dme over right in front of the restaurant where about 50 people were eating to the pleasant flashing of cruiser lights outside. I was a bit emabrassed, yes. My excuse to the cop: "Sorry, just got a new clutch put in a few days ago and forgot how much it grabs... sorry 'bout the noise".

He was like "yeah, whatever, jackass"... and about that time I heard his radio on his shoulder say something about a B&E at a location about 3 blocks from where we were, so he threw the license and registration back in the car and said "good thing for criminals - its your lucky day".

Hahahaha.... yeah even though I got off easy on that one, eating that late night soup with a ton of other people looking at me like I had comitted some horrible crime, was lesson enough. LOL.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I see a cop...I always move to the right one lane if I'm in the fast lane. I won't necessary slow down unless I'm speeding.

I also usually try to avoid making eye contact. Is it a good or bad thing to make eye contact?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard911s
Also curious about what you guys think and do when you pull up beside... drive in front of.. or behind a cop.... not sure if you guys know this... but.. the normal peoples instinct is to slow down scared of getting a ticket....police get so frustrated surrounded by all these cars slowing down in front. beside, and behind him... he cant tell them to go faster, and he cant go faster himself.. hahaha its a glorious powerful trap
My wife went on a ride-a-long a few times and always told me that the cops were SO aggravated by this...

One of the cops' even pulled someone over for not pulling to the side when the sirens and cherries were on... he was gonna give her a ticket for being "DWO" (driving while oriental) but decided against it and just gave her a very very stern warning to pull the fuck over next time she sees flashing light behind her... HAHAHA... too funny.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Is it just me, or is the original poster's story a bit hard to understand?

Could be me... but I'm just checking

The cop says Oh SH*T and somehow the guy gets off without a ticket? Uhh... whatever you say dude.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:51 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Reminds me of one time a few years ago... I drive quickly on a stop sign... The cop stops me and tells me: You didn't see the stop sign?

My answer was: No I saw it, it's you I didn't see.

The cops laughed so hard that he let me go without a ticket...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:55 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by tekn0mage

The cop says Oh SH*T and somehow the guy gets off without a ticket? Uhh... whatever you say dude.
He's either a cop himself or works in that field... certainly seems like the cop knew him.

I'm sure he'll clarify later.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:11 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by tekn0mage

my bad.... i just got off work and left the station about a block, those 2 cops that pulled me over are my co workers.... the 'OH SHIT" when he saw me was nothing... should have seen his expression!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by Tsx536
When I see a cop...I always move to the right one lane if I'm in the fast lane. I won't necessary slow down unless I'm speeding.

I also usually try to avoid making eye contact. Is it a good or bad thing to make eye contact?
Eye contact is fine... we get amused when we look at the drive beside us and they dont dare look back or at our direction.. but if they casually glance over and smile or nod, its perfectly fine with us, I smile back myself , but making a casual eye contact is perfectly fine~
Old 09-09-2005, 06:20 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by YBA
Reminds me of one time a few years ago... I drive quickly on a stop sign... The cop stops me and tells me: You didn't see the stop sign?

WAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH THAT IS A GOOOOOOOOOD ONE!!!!!!

have an old funny cop story to share with u guys...

these 2 cops went to this call and found 3-4 suspects.. they were separated searching the house. and the BOOT (BOOT is the new graduate from academy on probation) ran into those guys herself and she proned them out on the ground, lay down. spread all 4 limbs..

She then called her partner whos name is "Neil"!!!!!!!! those 4 gang banger tried up got up and assume """KNEEL""" position.. but being new and overwhelmed by this situation. 1 vs 4, she ordered them lay down prone again.. then she called her partner in louder voice """NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"*** those gang member mistaking it to order them to *********KNEEL*********** got up.. then the boot told them to stay the fuck down........

Finally the partner who's the training officer came and helped her take all 4 into custody...... those gang banger were scared shitless and told the training officer """ BOY. THANK GOD YOU CAME.. WE WERE SURE THAT BITCH WAS GONNA SHOOT US ALL""""
Old 09-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Racer

If I get pulled over, I just play it straight and polite. If they ask me if I know what speed I was going, I never say a speed. I did that once and sure enough that's what I got ticketed for. That being said, I've never been given a break while getting ticketed. I've gone to court to get them reduced a few times and that's worked very well.
If a cop drives by me, I just drive like normal. If I'm on a highway and speeding and see him too late, I don't slam on my brakes, that's just admitting guilt. I just ease off the gas a little and keep going a little slower.
I have been approached by a few pricks though, no offense Howard. A few years back, I was going speed limit on the roads near my house at night. A car came up behind me, tailgated me and had their highbeams on. It was a one-lane road so I sped up a bit in the hopes they'd get off my ass and turn their beams off. Soon as I did so, lights came on and the jerk pulled me over. He then proceeded to interrogate me for 15 minutes and do the informal light search of the car meanwhile as if I had stolen the car. It was very rude and very aggravating.
Generally, as a single male under 25 with a sporty car, I get no breaks no matter my demeanor.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:26 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by theElio
If I get pulled over, I just play it straight and polite. If they ask me if I know what speed I was going, I never say a speed. I did that once and sure enough that's what I got ticketed for. That being said, I've never been given a break while getting ticketed. I've gone to court to get them reduced a few times and that's worked very well.
If a cop drives by me, I just drive like normal. If I'm on a highway and speeding and see him too late, I don't slam on my brakes, that's just admitting guilt. I just ease off the gas a little and keep going a little slower.
I have been approached by a few pricks though, no offense Howard. A few years back, I was going speed limit on the roads near my house at night. A car came up behind me, tailgated me and had their highbeams on. It was a one-lane road so I sped up a bit in the hopes they'd get off my ass and turn their beams off. Soon as I did so, lights came on and the jerk pulled me over. He then proceeded to interrogate me for 15 minutes and do the informal light search of the car meanwhile as if I had stolen the car. It was very rude and very aggravating.
Generally, as a single male under 25 with a sporty car, I get no breaks no matter my demeanor.

no problem at all.. I know quite a few pricks myself... though my co workers.. I still consider them full time prick and not fit for the job.. some of them think they are god.... quite stupid... generally. those prick dont treat us much better than citizens, they think they are on top of the world~
Old 09-09-2005, 06:31 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work with police all the time so I am very relaxed around them. Yes they are there to enforce the law, but bottom line is that they are human and deserve to be treated as such. I don't change anything when driving and if they are next to me I give the nod and 95% of the time get it back in return. I am not that ass hat that waves to every cop they see. I have never been issued a moving violation, when I was young I heard someone say "I never got a ticked I didn't deserve" and for some reason that struck a cord with me and I just don't break the law, or if I do its only because someone else is doing something MUCH worse in my sight.

I have driven about 2500 miles behind the wheel of marked Trooper cars and unmarked BCI cars and the expression and reactions from people on the road is funny to say the least. For the officers of the law I am sure it wears them thin, which is why I just continue as I was, as if they weren't there.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by YBA

Luc, that's funny, I am going to have to remember that one!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I just acted sorry and scared as shit (which wasn't hard to do). And I got my ticket reduced from $200+ and 3-4 points to a $75 dollar ticket with no points. Just try and be courteous, it works in my experience.

I get to go on a police ride-along in November for my Law and Order class. I can't wait. It is the coolest class ever. I even get to train in their "Shoot/Don't Shoot" scenario videogame room!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
iVTEC no koe

I personally don't really say anything and just take the ticket. However, one time this cop remarked that I have a heavy foot and that I had 2 previous speeding tickets. I was like "Really? I thought it was only one....". He seemed rather annoyed that I wasn't aware of how many tickets I've gotten, but in all honesty, I get them so often, and take all of them to court, I can't remember which ones were reduced or removed.

Howard, do cops really expect people to know what is on their driving record?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was hauling ass up I75 with the wife and child in the car. Though I was being very observant, somehow this cop came flying up behind me. I thought to myself, great... another opportunity for the wife to say I drive too fast... well, I got lucky, he was on his way to the scene of an accident about 4 miles up the road... lucky me.

Generally speaking, I don't do anything when a cop gets near me. Not running a front license plate in Ohio will get you a ticket. The less attention I draw, the better I am.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:06 PM
:brakejob:

are you a cop?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:23 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by HoRRo
I personally don't really say anything and just take the ticket. However, one time this cop remarked that I have a heavy foot and that I had 2 previous speeding tickets. I was like "Really? I thought it was only one....". He seemed rather annoyed that I wasn't aware of how many tickets I've gotten, but in all honesty, I get them so often, and take all of them to court, I can't remember which ones were reduced or removed.

Howard, do cops really expect people to know what is on their driving record?
more or less yes... if you have shitty driving record... you will know ,may not remember how many ticket, but at least know you have a bad record... and the ones that has clean record with 1 ticket on it... we expect them to know.cause its just 1, shouldnt hard to remember... but yes.. generally police might think you are BSing.. if you tell them u have no idea about your driving record
Old 09-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

Well usually between the time it takes me to SLOW DOWN... Turn down my Stereo system.... pull over.... Park.... Turn off car.... get out wallet, Licsence, Registration and insurance papers.... IVE CURSED THAT DAMN COP AND HIS MOM LIKE 96 TIMES!!!! (...JK...)

I juss look straight out the glass, let him come to me, I already have my papers out and im handin them to him out the window before he gets to me....

we dont say much....

no disrespect to the cops in this world personally, Im sure at least some of u are good people wen that damn SUPERMAN cape and costume u call ur uniform is off... but I cant help but get really frustrated wen in the middle of the nite, wen Im crusin along wit my girl...juss cruisin!!! Not racing... not REALLY speeding ( fine i do admit, I wasnt under the poseted 60 km/h or 100 km/h or watever... but I wasnt thinkin I was on the Autobahn either!!!) Im alone on the road....then out of no where these cherries are flashin in my rearview, flashlites are blindin me in my face, and these cops are got they're hands on they're guns, lookin like they ready to shoot me in the head cus I was doin wat, 70?!?!?

its not needed... I admit, I wasnt doin less than 60... but unless im flyin down the road doin a buck sixty like I stole this damn (oh so freakin sexy, sleak, beautiful 2005 PWP TSX) car, you dont need ur freakin guns out to give me a damn speedin ticket, thats gonna get dropped wen u dont show up to court anyways!!!!

I dont really meen to sound so ignorant and bitter...but i am a lil pissed off... its degradin!!

BLESS!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
iVTEC no koe

hehe, CERISE, it definitely sucks. I find that in the GTA+surrounding areas, York and Peel cops are the worst.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brakejob
are you a cop?
:cop: meet :cop:
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by curls
Being forthright, owning up to your indiscetions, and not trying to use the 'ol excuse book on any seasoned cop, will normally get you this nice treatment.
I got off with a warning for doing a deliberate impression of Jason Bourne in my residential neighborhood at 2am. Why? Because I was stone sober, because I was a designated driver driving a very drunk person home so they wouldn't drive, and because I admitted that it was "in retrospect, the dumbest s--- I'd done all month." The cops had a good laugh at my expense and told me to be on my way.

Be respectful and honest with cops, and in most cases, they'll be respectful back. "Lines" don't work--they've heard 'em all before.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by jlukja
:cop: meet :cop:

who?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

who?
brakejob is a police officer in the Bay Area (SF)
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
HOWARD911S

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He had a great thread going in OT, called "Ask a cop anything" I think. Its good to have the law here so we can ask questions and such. By the way guys, I think you're way underpaid. I wouldn't want your job. no offense
Old 09-09-2005, 09:27 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by jlukja
He had a great thread going in OT, called "Ask a cop anything" I think. Its good to have the law here so we can ask questions and such. By the way guys, I think you're way underpaid. I wouldn't want your job. no offense

jlukja, got a link for that thread? Tried searching, but no hits.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
This is totally true. I didn't get tickets 3 out of the last 4 times I was pulled over because I told the cop the truth each time and apologized for my actions. They even let me off once when I was street racing and laying rubber through 1st and 2nd gear (obviously not in my TSX). They're so sick of hearing people lie to them, when someone tells them the truth, they appreciate the honesty.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:01 PM
iVTEC no koe

nevermind, after going thru 15 pages, finally found the thread.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Howard911s,

I have a question for you. What typically happens if a cop sees you driving too fast or running a red light but it doesn't happen in their jurisdiction. For instance, if I was speeding in Los Angeles, but a CHP officer or a Torrance PD officer sees me. Would they pull me over? If they did, do they have the authority to issue a ticket if the violation took place outside of their city or jurisdiction?

How about when I'm driving on the freeway and there's a non-CHP cop next to me. Would the non-CHP cop really care about how fast I was going?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Luckily for me, I have never received a ticket or been pulled over (have only been driving a few years keep in mind). I suppose I dont really speed too much over the limit,....like 120ish 130ish on a 100kph hwy like the 401/403/QEW in Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara region. Those speeds are pretty normal for most drivers so I dont stick out and Im pretty sure cops dont bother to pull over anyone doing 120 on a 400 series hwy in Ontario most of the time anyway. If I see a police officer and make eye contact I will give a nod or something,.........if not I just pretend like they are not there,....slow down a bit if I feel I might be going a bit fast. I always get out of their way if im in their lane so they can pass me.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Typing with G4 Powerbook

Last ticket I got was last fall in my old Accord on the beautiful Sunshine Skyway birdge driving from St. Petersburg home to Bradenton.

I have been driving that bridge every day for 6 years and I KNOW that when the weather is good on a friday, the cops are usually using an airplane and a stopwatch. After I got out of a big clog of slower traffic and got to the downhill side of the bridge, I thought to myself, lets see if this boat will do 120. There was NO ONE in front of me for at least a mile (very rare!) and I was so focused on the road, that I missed the little Piper Cub circling overhead. So did the 3 other cars that were running right behind me. At the rest area at the end of the bridge, there were 4 FHP cars waiting for us.

I stopped, opened all the windows in the car so the cop could see I was not hiding anything and before I even had time to play stupid, he said "the airplane got ya." My only response to him was "g*d-dammit". Long story short, it had been 7 years since my last ticket...an amazing fact...and I have never had an accident. The trooper was very friendly and conversational with me. He told me not to be angry with the Highway Patrol because they only make $1 for every ticket they write, the rest goes to the county. Whatever.

At least the guy was cool, I took the pinch like a man and he wrote me up for 79 in a 65. Still cost me $220 and another $35 for the on-line driving school. I was just glad he wasn't a d*ck and didn't arrest me for breaking the triple digits!!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Burning Brakes

i am so polite to cops hwen they pull me over and they always give me ticket. most of ticket-free stories are when people do not act so polite. well.. i wish i knew cops were watching me first of all
Old 09-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Burning Brakes