What did you pay for your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:58 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got $750 off sticker and exactly what I asked for on my trade in RL with 126k miles on it. I bought a SSM/6MT. Another dealer had told me there would be no discount off the sticker (non-negotiable) and offered me $1,500 less on the trade. I live in DFW and we have four Acura dealers, a couple of which are highly competitive on price.

I think the fact that I bought a 6MT helped get a better discount because they are not in as high demand due to the traffic congestion. We're not up to LA standards yet but we're trying.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:49 PM
A-TSX Driver...

SSM, No Nav, Auto, Protection Package (wheel locks, window etching, trunk tray) $24,790 (Pre tax & includes destination fee). No, not a demo...Dumb luck, I guess?!?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by hondaboy_tsx
SSM, No Nav, Auto, Protection Package (wheel locks, window etching, trunk tray) $24,790 (Pre tax & includes destination fee). No, not a demo...Dumb luck, I guess?!?
don't dare post something like this without details!

if your details are for real.. you MUST give us a blow-by-blow account of your transaction. Like...

did you have a trade-in?
if so, what?
how much did you get for it?

then, we need to know:

the date of your purchase.
how long did it take to get to that price?
what were the exact circumstances?
what were your negotiating tactics, if any?
is there a lot of dealer competition in your area (helping to drive down the cost)?

and on and on and on!
come on, you owe it to us! :P (especially those of us who are still in the contemplation/shopping mode.. we need some hope for a similar deal.)
Old 07-23-2003, 07:54 AM
dez
I never post !!!

hondaboy_tsx .. that deal is a MERE $143 OVER invoice !! NO WAY !!!

HOW did you do it .. I live in Philly, I'll go there !!!
Old 07-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Advanced

It also depends on who is selling and who is not. Out of 7 dealerships in North to Central Fl, only 2 have come to play.
I have a trade and 2 are at least being reasonable.
Some are about 3k below wholesale on trade with an above avg.
vehicle.
I guess I'm going with the deal at 1100 off msrp and full wholesale on the trade.
I could always wait till next year but the trade will suck worse
and I would not be enjoying the TSX so...
Maybe you will welcome me in shortly with my new TSX.
So do I have to bitch slap the dealer just to get floor mats???
Old 07-23-2003, 06:51 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Originally posted by dez
hondaboy_tsx .. that deal is a MERE $143 OVER invoice !! NO WAY !!!

HOW did you do it .. I live in Philly, I'll go there !!!
Yes, way...Your math is correct $143 over invoice - except, you forgot to account for the value of the protection package as well - which makes the deal even sweeter.

The story is comprised of (1) a comedy of errors on the dealer's part, (2) the fact that I did my homework on what everything was worth, and (3) persistence to negotiate my butt off.

Here we go:
I'll save you all of the details behind the 4 previous dealers I worked with, not to mention the numerous internet searches/negotiations...

In any event, the dealer I bought from was putting the protection package on all of the TSX's they got in and added the cost to the MSRP. From the get-go, I told them I have no need for the protection package, so let's eliminate it from the equation. They agreed, and we started our negotiations from $26,990.

From prior discussions with other dealers, I knew that at that point in time the best deal I'd get was $500 off MSRP. I told the dealer (who wasn't going to budge off of MSRP) that I'd go down the road and buy from another dealership for $500 less. Well, they matched the price - so we're now down to $26,490.

Now the good part...
I had a '97 as a trade. The dealer messed up and quoted me the trade value as a '99. The price they gave me for my trade was $1,700 more than anything quoted (for a '97) in Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, etc...(At that time, I didn't know they quoted me for the wrong year car, I thought they were being generous. )

We shook hands on the deal, but didn't fill out any paperwork at that point in time. I wanted to "think about it"...I called the dealer the next day to tell them I'll take the car, and they then realized they'd made a mistake...It was at this time I too found out they'd thought my car was two years newer - They had a copy of the owner's card, so they obviously screwed up themselves.

Pissed that the dealer was trying to back out of the agreement, I went past my salesman and contacted the sales manager...got nowhere...I then called the general manager and explained to him the situation. We negotiated back and forth for a while before I eventually swayed him in my direction - every time he had a point to prove me wrong, I had a counterpoint to shift things back in my favor. (He'd say he's not making any money on the deal...blah blah blah, I'd say yes you are, the car's valued at "x", with a profit margin of "y", blah blah blah) We talked numbers, contracts (verbal/written), ethics, and general business practices...

End result: To honor the net value of the deal (trade + new car), they agreed to give me $2,200 off MSRP on the TSX and fair market value for my trade.

To top things off, they'd forgotten about the protection package arrangement, and went ahead and installed it (since they were doing it on all the TSX's, they didn't know not to put it on mine). I took delivery, and the rest is history.

Guess I lucked out...They didn't have to honor the deal, but they did. I doubt they'll give another deal like that for a while. Oh well...