Warranty Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Issues

A co-worker of mine that owned a TSX told me that if you bring your TSX to an outside service shop other than an authorized Acura service shop (Acura dealer) to fix your car, that will void the warranty.

Is this true?

Please advise...

Thx.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:24 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only if the shop messes something up. Other then that they can't void anything. For instance if the other shop works on it and for some odd reason can't fix the problem then they might charge you claiming they made it worse.

If you're just talking oil changes and things like that smack your co-worker in the back of the head. :P
Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I don't think it would void the warranty but why are you having a non-Acura shop work on your TSX?

Are you referring to oil changes and the like? I think those are fine where ever you go...but what's an Acura oil change 30bucks? 40 at most, I'd say the extra 20bucks spent are worth the weight in gold if you have issues down the road you can always pull the receipts and say "look I've always had Acura service my car."

Now I can understand not paying for the full 10k, 20k, service checks...I'd just get the oil change and do a major service at 50k or 100k.

But if you have a warranty, you should use Acura b/c the work should be free...excluding mtn.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Racer

your friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about. you do not void your warranty by having someone who won't rip you off, repair your car. read the warranty information if you want more proof.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tehCOW
your friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about. you do not void your warranty by having someone who won't rip you off, repair your car. read the warranty information if you want more proof.
Worse case scenario. You bring it into an independant shop, they mess something up. Only that part of the warranty is void. For example, if you go into an independant shop to upgrade suspension/springs. Acura cannot just void the entire bumper to bumper warranty. So for example if you throw a piston or radiator or something after you have the springs installed. The dealer still has to honor the warranty for the engine. They can however, decline to fix anything wrong with the new springs. They probably still have to honor shocks. Unless they can prove that the new springs in some way damaged the shocks.
Did my examples help? Get the picture?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Worse case scenario. You bring it into an independant shop, they mess something up. Only that part of the warranty is void. For example, if you go into an independant shop to upgrade suspension/springs. Acura cannot just void the entire bumper to bumper warranty. So for example if you throw a piston or radiator or something after you have the springs installed. The dealer still has to honor the warranty for the engine. They can however, decline to fix anything wrong with the new springs. They probably still have to honor shocks. Unless they can prove that the new springs in some way damaged the shocks.
Did my examples help? Get the picture?
But if they want to be dicks in your example they could very well void the struts/shocks(esp with more than 1" drop), axles/CV's(bad angle from drop), VSA troubles (lower height and stiffer roll characterstics)... etc.... Some stealerships are really nasty when it comes to aftermarket parts. The law is on your side but it can still be a hassle.

But if you're just getting routine maintenance there's not a thing they can say about it.