Warning: Dealers have a "shared" database with YOUR info!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning: Dealers have a "shared" database with YOUR info!

I've been working with a local dealer for a new TSX and as I approached my final "negotiating" stage I received a phone call from another dealer who picked up my info from either edmunds.com or autobytel.com (I filled out a form).

Long story short, the guy tells me he can do better than what he "sees" I did a deal on elsewhere. At the dealer I did do the deal with I went direct -- right off the street.

The guy that tells me he "saw" my deal was pretty much dead on with my info, so I know the shared info DOES exist. And no, the two dealers are not sister companies.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to clear this one up, dealers do not have the ability to share customer information between dealers. That would be a huge violation of the Privacy Act. If YOU go log onto a site that shops around for you, you are the one sharing your information and sending it to multiple dealers. They aren't getting the info from the other dealer. That would also be in violation of the Bailey Act if they were to provide information to other dealers regarding a customer's details. As a person that has worked in sales, sales management, and F&I for Honda and Acura for nearly 4 years, my words are solid.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

I filled out a form online and submitted it to a bunch of dealers. (Dealer A).

I walked in off the street to Dealer B, and I did NOT submit my online request to them.

I "did" the deal at Dealer B.

Dealer A called me and said, "I see you did a deal at xxxx (Dealer B) and we could have done the car for a little better price".

That seems to me like there's information sharing going on.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Master in Science

I got a similar e-mail while shopping for a Prius, except I had not yet contacted the other dealer. I think the sales people just take guesses when they don't hear immediately from you.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

not possible to share. the salesman dupped you into thinking he actually knew something. dealer tricks.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by davidct
I filled out a form online and submitted it to a bunch of dealers. (Dealer A).

I walked in off the street to Dealer B, and I did NOT submit my online request to them.

I "did" the deal at Dealer B.

Dealer A called me and said, "I see you did a deal at xxxx (Dealer B) and we could have done the car for a little better price".

That seems to me like there's information sharing going on.
This is the last time I get to flame you on this one. I'm telling you, YOU sent YOUR information to both dealers when you made an inquiry on a web page to get price quotes from multiple sources. They contacted you to try to get a deal. They both probably had no idea as to what the terms of the deal were. It's called selling. Try to give one the idea that there is a better deal waiting if you leave the other dealer. The probability of being frustrated with making multiple trips and just signing up upon the second trip is high. How do I know all of this...read what I said above. I've been around a little while.