Warning about Pohanka Acura

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning about Pohanka Acura

Here is the story. Take from it what you will.

December 1:
* Drove from NC to VA (5hrs or so) to look at used 06 TSX 6spd Navi.
* Car looked good besides the mileage being reported incorrectly in email correspondence with salesman and paint damage on the back bumper. Asked if tinting was legal on vehicle, was told yes.
* Dealer lowered purchase price down $300 for mileage and agreed to fix paint issue.
* Decided price was great without any real negotiating, so agreed to purchase.
* Dealer could not fix paint that day so will arrange for it to be fixed later.
* Left dealer satisfied with purchase.
* Received ticket on I-95 in VA for illegal tint.
* Called salesman immediately to inform him that I was not happy about it; left voicemail.

Rest of December:
* Made several exchanges with dealership. They said they'd work the ticket out and remove the tinting. Promised everything in writing, including the paint that was previously agreed only verbally.
* Provided quotes for fixing paint damage and verbal quote from tinting remover (along with contact info)

Early January:
* Salesman says he's working to get check out right away numerous times

January 22:
* Salesman says the dealership will be mailing two checks out covering the cost of the tinting ticket and the paint repair. I respond asking about having the tint removed so I can pass NC inspection.

January 24:
* Salesman says general manager will not approve tint removal and says that since there were no signed documents concerning the paint repair that will not be paid either. Said tint ticket would be in mail.
* Replied to salesman very upset. Told that I would be contacting general manager and was very upset
* Called general manager. Was unavailable. Left voicemail.
* Received email from general manager saying the dealership was not obligated to pay anything. Said the $300 discount during negotiations was for paint.

January 25:
* Replied to email explaining thoroughly dissatisfaction. Said was going to contact Acura and BBB to file complaints.
* Filed complaint with BBB.
* Filed complaint with Acura Client Services.
* Forwarded messages to salesman out of respect, since his name would appear in the complaints.
* Faxed dealership itemized list of expected payments.
* Received call from General Manager. Refused to budge. Said that I was trying to renegotiate the deal after the sale and that extortion via Acura and BBB wasn't going to do any good. Was only returning call because I said it was unprofessional to email me his response when I called. Could not come to agreement. Ended call both upset. Unsure of any resolution. May not receive any reimbursement.

That's where it lies. In retrospect, it's always wise to have everything written down precisely. And if something like the ticket happens, have it written up immediately but expect that it will never be compensated.

It probably would have been a good idea for me to search for dealer recommendations in the forums as well.

Other than that, the experience was great. Good deal, good salesman, great car.

Alas, hindsight is 20/20.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Wow that is really unfortunate. I agree any dealings with a car salesman should be in writing, no matter how small the detail. Most (and I said most!) car salesmen are instinctively shady, and it's pretty impossible for the average Joe to tell the ones who really want to help you from the ones who need to make one more sale for the day/week and will tell you what you want to hear.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Pohanka is actually one of the better dealerships in our area so this comes as a shock. maybe they thought they could screw you since you were all the way in NC
Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow.. u seriously went out of ur way 5 hours for a car?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
thats crazy!!! when i sold cadillacs, i never had a problem putting small negotiations like that into detail. i think it's a purposeful mishap on their part
Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Unfortunately, sounds like business as usual at many dealerships. I agree you'll most likely get no satisfaction with the dealer. Too bad Acura (and evidently most car companies) allows this type of poor customer treatment to continue. And they wonder why people hate to deal with dealerships.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by goon54
wow.. u seriously went out of ur way 5 hours for a car?
I almost did....but that was back in 2005 when used 04s were very hard to come by. The only reason why I didn't go for the deal is because they wouldn't certify it, and I needed that extra peace of mind. But I can see why someone would go out of their way even now, if they can't find the exact car they want (like 6mt, or navi, or whatever).
Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

why didnt u just get a car closer to where u live like theres alot of tsx used ? right
Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx4lyfe
why didnt u just get a car closer to where u live like theres alot of tsx used ? right
From what I've read here, it seems that 6-sp w/ nav are not that easy to come by. If you want something in particular, you go where the car is. Back in 03, I flew to SC from Mass. to bring home my 02 S4 Avant (it was just what I wanted, silver w/tip, low miles).
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up Update

Later January 25:
* Dealer calls and apologizes
* Says he thought I was trying to renegotiate a deal, but after conversing with salesman and seeing the email trail, thinks I'm okay
* Wants to make everything right by following through with the agreements concerning the paint, and also working right by the tint issue
* Awaiting check to cover issues

Yeah, 6spd Navi used were a little hard to come by in the colors I was looking for. I was particular that it needed to be in the 20k-30k mileage range and 06 and later, plus fitting in the budget. The Pohanka one was just that.

The dealership in the end was very apologetic. I think that when the request for the checks to be signed off came before the general manager and he didn't realize that we'd had tons of very courteous email and phone conversations before that point. And when he rejected it and said that they wouldn't pay, I felt like I had been given a run-around and sent a very couple upset emails along with a couple phone calls. I guess my last responses fit some kind of profile for a bad sale and he reacted as such.

Ironically, I think he was worried that I would slander his name online. I did post it here, mostly out of courtesy to other TSX shoppers, but I tried to be the least negative that a person upset could be and I never mentioned his name. Thus, I'm updating to make sure people know the results.

So, that's the update. Sounds like it will all work out, but it was still a very difficult experience. Moral: Stay courteous even when you are upset and always get things in writing, even minutiae.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 AM
TSX

Awesome you got things straighten out.

Go Wolfpack!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
glad to hear things worked out for you. I also live in NC and bought my 06 6spd MR/eb w/nav from Lehigh Valley Acura in Emmaus, Pa. I was able to buy it at a excellent price thanks to being friends with the service manager.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm glad they apologized. Pohanka's known for their great service.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you kidding? Pohanka is known for great sales, not service. Pohanka's service department is known for screwing things up. I cannot in any fair conscience recommend that dealership, and I live 5 minutes from them. I go out of my way to avoid them.

Just search other Pohanka threads, or god forbid look at the pictures of D West's car after they broke his front lip spoiler.

To the OP, I am glad they appear to be following through with you, as it is only right. You were lied to and they should make good on it. Do not become complacent until you have that check in your hand and are fully satisfied with the resolution.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eidji
Later January 25:

Ironically, I think he was worried that I would slander his name online. I did post it here, mostly out of courtesy to other TSX shoppers, but I tried to be the least negative that a person upset could be and I never mentioned his name. Thus, I'm updating to make sure people know the results.
Don't worry about the slander. Everyone should post this kind of experience with dealerships regardless if it was settled or not. We're paying for premium brand and should expect superior service. The sales person can't get things right the first time and gave you a run-around with the sales manager isn't acceptable.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if there are any outstanding issues that need to be addressed prior to you driving the car off the lot with it in what you deem to be "perfect" or "acceptable" condition, you should always get them taken care of before you purchase. i went your route when i bought a 2005 6spd with nav from Radley Acura (definitely recommended over Pohanka), as the leather trim was sticking out slightly on my steering wheel. like you, i was told that they couldn't fix it that day but that i should bring it back the following week and they'd take care of everything.

fast forward...brought it in, they tried to fix the steering wheel but it was a lost cause so they tried to replace it on the spot...they ended up scratching the hell out of it, and also, they ran out of the tiny little screws that holds the wheel on, so they gave me my car back with a steering wheel that could have potentially been pulled off the steering column. awesome. on top of that, the steering wheel was now crooked. it was like 9pm and there was nothing i could do about it and it took another 7-10 days to get everything cleared out.

lesson learned. do NOT sign any of the paperwork until they fix the car to your satisfaction. if they refuse, then find a car that is in perfect shape already. there isn't just one car for you, no matter how rare you think your combo is.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
What are you kidding? Pohanka is known for great sales, not service. Pohanka's service department is known for screwing things up. I cannot in any fair conscience recommend that dealership, and I live 5 minutes from them. I go out of my way to avoid them.

Just search other Pohanka threads, or god forbid look at the pictures of D West's car after they broke his front lip spoiler.

To the OP, I am glad they appear to be following through with you, as it is only right. You were lied to and they should make good on it. Do not become complacent until you have that check in your hand and are fully satisfied with the resolution.

No, My car was messed up at Radley's. I think they are not getting there act together, but they HAD to be the worse for service. I have to bit my nails anytime I take my car there for service.