Wanting to buy a 2006 TSX, Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaphneLCC
as a poor college graduate, i went out looking for a new car in the last few recent weeks. originally planning on a simple $14-17K MT civic, i just can't pass up the 6 speed MT royal blue pearl tsx. the 2005 civics are gone and the 2006 civics just aren't in my tastes. a evenly matched accord seems like it would be just as much as a tsx if not more. so i have definitely decided to go with the acura.

so, i'm getting ready to start negotiations for a 2006 model 6speed non-navi tsx soon so that the dealer may do an electronic trade for a rgp color that i can't live without.

does anyone know an invoice price for this model? what price should i aim for? what about a few added accessories, which ones and what sort of pricing should i expect and aim for?

much thanks in advance for any advice!
Which dealership are you negotiating with? Jody Wilkinson or Mike Hale Acura? What is your invoice price?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be realistic in your purchase. If you are going to finance the car, make sure you know what your monthly payment will be, and insurance cost etc.. If you are a recent college grad., and your original budget was for a civic. I would stay within the budget and look at the Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Scion TC. Excellent cars, well made, reliable. If you still want a TSX, then find an '05. I'm sure there is a dealer who has a silver or black '05 TSX in stock, would be willing to sell it for near invoice price, and provide a low interest rate compared to the '06.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by jlukja
ExplicitBarbi3 basically called me a dirty old man and made fun of my TSX.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by bradykp
she's buying the car, how can i pick out the transmission? if it were my car i was buying, i'd get it in manua. no doubt.
Just funnin' Brady.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waTSX
Just funnin' Brady.
i know, i'm still a little sour i have to settle for the lame ass "sport shift"

so boring.

i'm gonna take a 6 speed for a test drive if/when a dealer near me gets one, just to see how it rides.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

i know, i'm still a little sour i have to settle for the lame ass "sport shift"

so boring.

i'm gonna take a 6 speed for a test drive if/when a dealer near me gets one, just to see how it rides.
If you do, you're going to be spending all your time trying to find a way to justify buying a 6mt TSX for yourself.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:55 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by swirlie
If you do, you're going to be spending all your time trying to find a way to justify buying a 6mt TSX for yourself.
My thoughts exactly. From your posts, you sound like a 6MT guy trapped in a 5AT body. If you drive the 6MT, you will turn green and rip out of your clothes and part with 28-large.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
My thoughts exactly. From your posts, you sound like a 6MT guy trapped in a 5AT body. If you drive the 6MT, you will turn green and rip out of your clothes and part with 28-large.
nah, i wouldn't.

i'd love to have one, but i take the train into work every day, and i just dont need a car. there's no reason for me to buy one, even if i would love one.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:49 PM
TSX4EVR

So, I've browsed around quite a bit before making the final decision to buy a TSX. Looking around for about a month or two, I have compared every car that I would consider buying with the TSX. And I just think that the TSX is the overall best choice. It has better value and everything that I am looking for in a car.

But first, maybe I should rephrase my opening statement I think I may have misled everyone in saying that I was a "poor" college graduate. Although I'm not raking in the dough, I have managed to save enough to pay off the car, even at 28K. So I suppose the money isn't quite an object in this matter. Although I did begin my search for a much cheaper car, my friend (he owns a MDX and a RSX) led me into the Acura dealer and I just couldn't leave. I saw the TSX and I just can't go back anymore! Sorry for the mislead folks!

My final decision is leaning towards the 6sp non-navi, most likely the 2006 as the Acura dealers here don't have any of the older models in a color that I like (and I rationalized that if I am paying at least 25K on a car, I should spend that extra bit of money for the exact car that I want--color and the extra features I really enjoy, since I plan on keeping it for a while).

Many thanks for the advice all I appreciate it.

Oh, and P.S.: Just thought I would clarify: I am a girl
Hi Daphne, it sounds like you want a car and have the money for it. Get the TSX and enjoy it. I would recommend the 06 TSX and I have been known before to sometimes to sing the praises of the RBP, so great choice in colour.

Both the 6MT and the 5AT are great. Whatever you are most comfortable with you can't go wrong. The only other real choice is nav or not to nav. You will hear words of advice either way. If you are going to be driving/travelling places you are unfamiliar with then it's a good thing to have.

Welcome to the Acura family and Merry Christmas!

Excited
Old 12-25-2005, 04:06 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

FINALLY, someone who understands that paying cash (for a car like this) is always, always, always more worth it over paying a financial institution if the car is driven personally (as opposed to business). If you think you can recover the effective cost of financing/leasing through investments you are most likely wrong. Maybe a 4% GIC is as close as you'll get. Pay cash!!! If your flat broke, then buy a cheaper car......used perhaps.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

I just traded in my 04 TSX for an 06 TSX and can tell you that you are making a wise decision. I was looking to upgrade to an IS350 or G35 Coupe but once I got over the sticker shock I was not that impressed overall with what you pay for. So I stumbled onto the 06 TSX while on Edmunds trying to get the best deal on the IS350 or G and I never looked back. For the price it is one of the baddest cars out there. So with the money I saved I got the underbody kit, ordered some 19's, put tint and an M3 spolier. Now I got more looks and have a bad ass car note!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by jimstsx
I apologize..I didn't see that she wasn't a dude until just now.

With that said....I would go for whatever car makes you happy Miss.

Just trying to give my opinion and stay PC.
So, uh, Jim, know a few guys named Daphne do ya?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by excited
Hi Daphne, it sounds like you want a car and have the money for it. Get the TSX and enjoy it. I would recommend the 06 TSX and I have been known before to sometimes to sing the praises of the RBP, so great choice in colour.
Excited
"sometimes" he says. Hehe, keep it up, though. RBP is beautiful.

Originally Posted by Ellas9
FINALLY, someone who understands that paying cash (for a car like this) is always, always, always more worth it over paying a financial institution if the car is driven personally (as opposed to business). If you think you can recover the effective cost of financing/leasing through investments you are most likely wrong. Maybe a 4% GIC is as close as you'll get. Pay cash!!! If your flat broke, then buy a cheaper car......used perhaps.
Merry Christmas!
I just paid for mine straight up with a cheque. Much less to deal with. I also hate the idea of living with monthly payments. I know I'm going to own this car for a long time, so why not get the money matters out of the way right away and enjoy my time?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Ellas9
Merry Christmas!
Originally Posted by swirlie
I just paid for mine straight up with a cheque. Much less to deal with. I also hate the idea of living with monthly payments. I know I'm going to own this car for a long time, so why not get the money matters out of the way right away and enjoy my time?
i'm sorry, but if you cant make at least a 4% return on your money, there's something wrong with you. www.hsbcdirect.com pays 4.25% on a money market account. you can buy a long term CD and make around 5% return. get into more savvy investing, and it really is unwise to pay cash for something of this nature. hell, a lot of credit cards will offer you 2-4% on the life of tha balance if you have good credit.

if paying cash is less of a hassle for you, then fine, but don't argue it is a wise "investment" decision, because the cash you just sunk into the car is at a negative return (besides the immense fun you have driving a TSX, if you can dollar value that). anytime someone will loan me money, i'll take it, because 9 times out of 10, i can put my money to better use than the bank is charging me for it!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

Sorry, I've been offline for a few days. I'm still here though!

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
Which dealership are you negotiating with? Jody Wilkinson or Mike Hale Acura? What is your invoice price?
>Went into both actually. I am initially dealing with Mike Hale as my friend who bought two Acuras introduced me to his salesman. So far they made me this offer: Invoice (26K give or take)+500+89 (detail fee as we would have to do an electronic trade for the RGP)+275ish(protection package). We (my parents and I) countered with another offer, OTD for 27.5K and they said they would call as the general manager wasn't there, but they never did. Obviously a possible sales tactic to wait for our call and see how desparate we are for the car.

When I first went into Jody Wilkinson, they mentioned some free oil change for life? (maybe it was a few years? months? I can't remember.) deal with the purchase of a new car. I am going to try and talk to them tomorrow morning about what sort of deal I can get from them.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Sorry, I've been offline for a few days. I'm still here though!

>Went into both actually. I am initially dealing with Mike Hale as my friend who bought two Acuras introduced me to his salesman. So far they made me this offer: Invoice (26K give or take)+500+89 (detail fee as we would have to do an electronic trade for the RGP)+275ish(protection package). We (my parents and I) countered with another offer, OTD for 27.5K and they said they would call as the general manager wasn't there, but they never did. Obviously a possible sales tactic to wait for our call and see how desparate we are for the car.

When I first went into Jody Wilkinson, they mentioned some free oil change for life? (maybe it was a few years? months? I can't remember.) deal with the purchase of a new car. I am going to try and talk to them tomorrow morning about what sort of deal I can get from them.

Do you mean RBP (Royal Blue Pearl??) if so, GREAT CHOICE. you can see pics in my post of the RBP/parchment
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27474

i'm still shaky when posters say "protection package" because every dealership seems to have a different "package" so it'd be nice to know what you're getting for $275.

we bought the trunk tray and the all season mats from curry acura (ny) ebay store. i think the mats were $97 and the tray was 75. the cargo net is $29, but they didn't have time to install it, so we got it at our dealership for $32, plus like $25 installation. supposedly it took about 45 minutes because they have to take the trunk panels off to screw in the holders. seems like a job we coulda did ourselves this weekend, but for 25 bucks installation, it was worth my aggravation. so thats $232 right there. i hope you're getting more than those three things (and i hope it's not the splash guars, i think they look horrible on this gorgeous car, splash guards are for SUVs and pickups)

invoice plus 500 is a great price. 89 "detail fee" is funny. they aren't hitting you with a "documentation fee"?? if that's the price with no more hidden fees, and they can actually show you that they are getting the car from a local dealership, that's good. given my recent experience, i'd ask if they also have on ordered, just in case.

the dealer i purchased from claims that if they sell a particular color combo, and another dealer has it, that other dealer HAS to swap with them if they haven't sold it yet. i don't know how true this is, but my experience at my first dealership tells me it isn't. then again, my first dealership told me 400 lies, so who knows if they ever even tried to locate my car.

you want 27,500 out the door including taxes? wouldn't that mean he's selling it to you under invoice?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Do you mean RBP (Royal Blue Pearl??) if so, GREAT CHOICE. you can see pics in my post of the RBP/parchment
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27474

i'm still shaky when posters say "protection package" because every dealership seems to have a different "package" so it'd be nice to know what you're getting for $275.

we bought the trunk tray and the all season mats from curry acura (ny) ebay store. i think the mats were $97 and the tray was 75. the cargo net is $29, but they didn't have time to install it, so we got it at our dealership for $32, plus like $25 installation. supposedly it took about 45 minutes because they have to take the trunk panels off to screw in the holders. seems like a job we coulda did ourselves this weekend, but for 25 bucks installation, it was worth my aggravation. so thats $232 right there. i hope you're getting more than those three things (and i hope it's not the splash guars, i think they look horrible on this gorgeous car, splash guards are for SUVs and pickups)

invoice plus 500 is a great price. 89 "detail fee" is funny. they aren't hitting you with a "documentation fee"?? if that's the price with no more hidden fees, and they can actually show you that they are getting the car from a local dealership, that's good. given my recent experience, i'd ask if they also have on ordered, just in case.

the dealer i purchased from claims that if they sell a particular color combo, and another dealer has it, that other dealer HAS to swap with them if they haven't sold it yet. i don't know how true this is, but my experience at my first dealership tells me it isn't. then again, my first dealership told me 400 lies, so who knows if they ever even tried to locate my car.

you want 27,500 out the door including taxes? wouldn't that mean he's selling it to you under invoice?

AH! Yes I did mean RBP. Don't know what I meant by RGP.

I got the feeling that they didn't include the documentation fee because he mentioned something about how they have the lowest ....something about papers and documentation, can't remember his exact words.... fees in town. So, I figure there were more fees to come.

My dad gave the 27.5K figure. Someone on this forum (sorry I can't remember who!) reported some consumer report figures with the holdback and my dad calculated this into his figures. Basically it was about $500 over that number I think? I didn't think this was a possible number but it never hurts to try and use it as a bargaining platform.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Still Lovin my 06

AH! Yes I did mean RBP. Don't know what I meant by RGP.

I got the feeling that they didn't include the documentation fee because he mentioned something about how they have the lowest ....something about papers and documentation, can't remember his exact words.... fees in town. So, I figure there were more fees to come.

My dad gave the 27.5K figure. Someone on this forum (sorry I can't remember who!) reported some consumer report figures with the holdback and my dad calculated this into his figures. Basically it was about $500 over that number I think? I didn't think this was a possible number but it never hurts to try and use it as a bargaining platform.
it doesnt hurt to negotiate, but remember, holdback is the dealer's holy grail, and they're not parting with it. mentioning it to most is an insult to them, and they get very defensive. basically "holdback" exists to help cover the "costs" of a dealer having a car on the lot and costs of having to sell the car (advertising, interest, maintaining it, etc).

granted, if they're ordering a car and turning it right over, that "holdback" cost for them is very low, they still arent giving that up. there's nothing wrong with negotiation around the invoice including destination though. plenty of dealers are coming withing 500 of invoice, so there's no reason you shouldnt get that price and maybe have him throw some accessories in as the dealbreaker, since accessories cost them nothing.