Want to ditch the 5AT and buy a 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Slippy maybe...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Want to ditch the 5AT and buy a 6MT

Okay guys and gals, here's the situation...

I am financing my 5AT 2005 TSX that I purchased back at the end of March this year. I've got a 4-year loan on it.

From the instant I bought it, I've had buyer's remorse -- sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Lately it's been a lot.

Right until I signed the papers I was going for the 6MT. (I've only owned manual transmission cars until this point.) My father and grandfather were my advisors on this car purchase (my first NEW car purchase) and unfortunately I bowed to their practical points of view and opted for the 5AT at the last moment.

They instisted it would be better in the long run because anyone (read: girlfriend) could drive it if needed, I'd have better resale value, and it'd be better in slow moving traffic. So I caved and bought the auto. (And yes, I still am with my girlfriend.)

Well, today I finally said "that's it!" I can't stand having an automatic. I have lost all the enjoyment I used to get out of driving. I don't even bother to meet with the members of my local sports car club (I used to autocross on weekends) because I feel like an idiot driving a slushbox.

I hate the amount of power that is lost through the automatic transmission. I hate the longer gearing of the 5 speed automatic. In short, I want my manual and I wanted it in my TSX. I literally spent a year waiting to finally purchase one, and it was the only car I wanted. I love Honda products -- they're all I've ever driven -- and the TSX was the only car I wanted to replace my beloved 93 Civic coupe.

So, I guess I'm done whining. I really have tried to sell myself on the practical points of owning an automatic, but I'm still young and want my fun. I want to rid myself of this automatic and buy a 6MT.

Has anyone out there ever traded-in a financed car back to their dealership of purchase to buy another car prior to the end of their loan? What kind of penalties did you have to pay? At this point I really could care less about the money I'm losing on this... I won't be happy if I don't trade over to the 6MT.

Anyone have any input?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, is an auto really THAT bad?

I do agree you should enjoy what you drive.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL funny I feel the same way since day one after purchasing the car. I should've waited for the 6MT. But anyway yeah I'm interested in the trade-in too. But I have a 5 year loan. If I were to trade it in I'll probably get 23K back with a 22K left on the loan. so I have about 1K to down on the new car. therefore I don't think trading it for another TSX would be a good move unless you're willing to take a couple grand loss. but I might be wrong anyone else care to comment?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dam....its over for you
Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No penalty on finance, penalty only on lease. Go get 6MT, you won't regret.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You obviously feel pretty strongly about it. Life is short and uncertain, so as long as you can make the trade without putting yourself in a hole financially, I'd do it.

Sort of comparison: Before I bought my TSX, I was looking at the Accord, Camry, Altima... They were all perfectly decent cars, but each would have just been functional transportation for me. I've wanted a TSX ever since they came out, but I was having a hard time justifying the additional expense. My compromise was that I paid the difference in cash so my payments are about the same as they would have been with one of the other cars. It's only been 3 weeks, but I am positive that by following my gut, I made the right choice.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:03 AM
jmf
Need for Speed

Originally Posted by ryanhook
Okay guys and gals, here's the situation...

I am financing my 5AT 2005 TSX that I purchased back at the end of March this year. I've got a 4-year loan on it.

From the instant I bought it, I've had buyer's remorse -- sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Lately it's been a lot.

Right until I signed the papers I was going for the 6MT. (I've only owned manual transmission cars until this point.) My father and grandfather were my advisors on this car purchase (my first NEW car purchase) and unfortunately I bowed to their practical points of view and opted for the 5AT at the last moment.

They instisted it would be better in the long run because anyone (read: girlfriend) could drive it if needed, I'd have better resale value, and it'd be better in slow moving traffic. So I caved and bought the auto. (And yes, I still am with my girlfriend.)

Well, today I finally said "that's it!" I can't stand having an automatic. I have lost all the enjoyment I used to get out of driving. I don't even bother to meet with the members of my local sports car club (I used to autocross on weekends) because I feel like an idiot driving a slushbox.

I hate the amount of power that is lost through the automatic transmission. I hate the longer gearing of the 5 speed automatic. In short, I want my manual and I wanted it in my TSX. I literally spent a year waiting to finally purchase one, and it was the only car I wanted. I love Honda products -- they're all I've ever driven -- and the TSX was the only car I wanted to replace my beloved 93 Civic coupe.

So, I guess I'm done whining. I really have tried to sell myself on the practical points of owning an automatic, but I'm still young and want my fun. I want to rid myself of this automatic and buy a 6MT.

Has anyone out there ever traded-in a financed car back to their dealership of purchase to buy another car prior to the end of their loan? What kind of penalties did you have to pay? At this point I really could care less about the money I'm losing on this... I won't be happy if I don't trade over to the 6MT.

Anyone have any input?
I did the exact same thing. Had an auto, traded it in at 3k miles for a 6MT. Cost me $1,500, but well worth it. Miss the SS a little sometimes and the option to not have to shift, but overall it was the right thing to do.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Got Phó?

i say do it what ever makes you happy. Maybe you'll get a new color.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If youre going to take a loss, go for it and take a MTX TL.

Get it right the 2nd time, not the 3rd or 4th.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
- Sounds like you should just do it regardless of the money.
- Being this close to the release of the likely more powerful 06, I'd wait til then.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by calgary2800
If youre going to take a loss, go for it and take a MTX TL.

Get it right the 2nd time, not the 3rd or 4th.

Where in his post did it say ANYTHING about a TL?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Ok this is a slight but I have a question...

my only regret is not going to Canada and getting a PWP/Ebony... is that even possible?? What kinda taxes would I have to pay etc...

I'm just wondering because I'm hoping people will tell me its impossible with emissions laws etc, although I doubt that's true.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Slippy maybe...

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only one that's felt this way, nor will I be the first to take a car back so soon after purchasing it.

dom, I was thinking that over last night. I could trade in now and get a better finance rate on an 05 than I am paying, or I could hold off until fall to see what Honda has up their sleeves for the 06 TSX. (Time to talk to my friend at Honda.) Mind you, the longer I hold onto the car, the less it'll be worth when I trade it.

As for the TL, maybe I'll take a look at one just to look at one, but I still lean toward the TSX.

Hrmmm.... decisions, decisions...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Instructor

I understand your concerns. When I went to buy my TSX my girlfriend wanted me to get auto so she could get it and my parents gave me the resale lecture, the truth was that its my money and the 6 speed is what I wanted. I bought the 6 speed and couldn't be happier. My recommendation is to get the 6 speed in a couple months give your auto a little time so you don't take a bath financially on it.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

I say go for the 6-spd. A few grand is a small cost compared to years of driving enjoyment.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by ianS
No penalty on finance, penalty only on lease. Go get 6MT, you won't regret.
Go swap it!!!

Though Dom(n) brought up a very good point... hang in for a little longer and might as well get a '06. At least by then you could even possibly swap for a '05 that the dealers want to get rid of more badly.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
Ok this is a slight but I have a question...

my only regret is not going to Canada and getting a PWP/Ebony... is that even possible?? What kinda taxes would I have to pay etc...

I'm just wondering because I'm hoping people will tell me its impossible with emissions laws etc, although I doubt that's true.
Forget about it. Those goofy canadian gauges that only display KPH would never pass inspection in VA. Plus, the amount of money you would put into the car to get it to comply with US regs would be money better spent on a paint job if you're really that concerned with getting the color right.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Forget about it. Those goofy canadian gauges that only display KPH would never pass inspection in VA. Plus, the amount of money you would put into the car to get it to comply with US regs would be money better spent on a paint job if you're really that concerned with getting the color right.

So goofy that pratically the rest of the world uses them
Old 07-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
So goofy that pratically the rest of the world uses them
Damn you, , you stupid ian
Old 07-14-2005, 03:02 PM
VSA Rocks

At least you didn't consider the tranny swap.

You're considering the right thing: Just sell your auto for a manual.

I can't believe how many out there are willing to spend thousands for the tranny swap when they can simply just buy a 6-spd. For example, I have a friend who's so sick of his auto Integra that he's going to spend $4k for parts & labor.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn you, , you stupid ian
I've seen some metric distance signs around. Makes everything seem so far.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
I've seen some metric distance signs around. Makes everything seem so far.
You guys should really join the rest of the world. Your military has
Old 07-14-2005, 03:10 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
- Being this close to the release of the likely more powerful 06
I see this brought up a lot, but is there a firm source of info regarding this? I know that VTEC.net has this listed in their Model Release Matrix. While I respect the knowledge they have there, I still won't trust this one piece of info until I see something solid about the hp bump from Honda.

Sorry for being off-topic.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vwong
I see this brought up a lot, but is there a firm source of info regarding this? I know that VTEC.net has this listed in their Model Release Matrix. While I respect the knowledge they have there, I still won't trust this one piece of info until I see something solid about the hp bump from Honda.

Sorry for being off-topic.

No, but all signs point to 10-20 more HP.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
You guys should really join the rest of the world. Your military has

Naw, the US attitude is that the rest of the world should join us.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
Naw, the US attitude is that the rest of the world should join us.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Top notch 6MT

Actually my speedo gauge (yes, on my TSX) has MPH markings, although in smaller fonts, they are there!

To me, the goofy part is that Canada being part of the common wealth, etc. doesn't use the imperial measuring system. Nonetheless, I am glad to be using Metrics
Old 07-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Actually my speedo gauge (yes, on my TSX) has MPH markings, although in smaller fonts, they are there!

To me, the goofy part is that Canada being part of the common wealth, etc. doesn't use the imperial measuring system. Nonetheless, I am glad to be using Metrics
How about the total mileage guage, it still shown in km. So when a used Canadian car going to sell in US, the seller will puzzle why I am going to buy a car with 100000mi? but actually, it is 100000km!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by ianS
How about the total mileage guage, it still shown in km. So when a used Canadian car going to sell in US, the seller will puzzle why I am going to buy a car with 100000mi? but actually, it is 100000km!
Oh, that's right... damn. But at least the unit of measure is also indicated on the display, isn't it? (ain't sure now, have to go to the car to check... anyone verify this?)
Old 07-14-2005, 03:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Oh, that's right... damn. But at least the unit of measure is also indicated on the display, isn't it? (ain't sure now, have to go to the car to check... anyone verify this?)

It is. And KPH is also on US cars.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by dom
It is. And KPH is also on US cars.
Thanks.

It would be a nice excuse to get out of speeding tickets driving with a MPH gauge in Canada.

"but officier, the speedo was at 50 (MPH)... this IS a 50 (KM/H) zone, isn't it?"

Old 07-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm a llama :(

Thanks.

It would be a nice excuse to get out of speeding tickets driving with a MPH gauge in Canada.

"but officier, the speedo was at 50 (MPH)... this IS a 50 (KM/H) zone, isn't it?"

That only works for a US car in Canada.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Motohip
That only works for a US car in Canada.
Totally. That's why I have to pay extra attention when driving my car down to WA
Old 07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
No, but all signs point to 10-20 more HP.
Then, the question is, can the changes be retrofitted to existing models? Yeah, I just want some bolt-on 20hp solution!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by vidgamer
Then, the question is, can the changes be retrofitted to existing models? Yeah, I just want some bolt-on 20hp solution!
Hondata reflash maybe the closest thing. Although it isn't focused on peak hp gain, it does improve torque output and power delivery throughout the rev band, decreases the VTEC high cam kick-in to 5k rpm, raises fuel cut to 7600rpm (from 7300rpm).
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 AM
wiz
Pro

I have the same feeling, but in reverse. I wish I would have gotten the auto instead of the MT. I love driving a manual, dont' get me wrong, but it is really just not that practical in Atlanta traffic, as well as the fact that my fiancee cannot drive a stick and doesn't seem to be learning that well. The TSX is a smaller vehicle anyway, so we'll probably get rid of it for something bigger in the near future anyway as I'm sure we're going to need it in a couple of years.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

No, the unit is not on the display!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Luke 1:37

I'm having the same kinda of feelings, but I think I'll remedy this by looking into getting a Honda CBR Probably won't happen anytime soon, but we'll see.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I'm having the same kinda of feelings, but I think I'll remedy this by looking into getting a Honda S2000 Probably won't happen anytime soon, but we'll see.

My version.....
Old 07-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Slippy maybe...

So back on topic...

Here's an update on my situation: I've called my salesperson from the dealer and she got back to me initially with some pretty bad numbers.

To keep my finance payments where they are, I'd have to fork out almost $8000. Apparently now that the finance rate on the new 05 TSXs is down to 3.9%, it'd be hard for them to sell my car on the used lot (with a used rate of 7.5%).

After hearing that I was feeling like that was it. I was stuck with the auto... at least for a while longer. Then, the next day, my salesperson called me back.

They've got a person who's motivated to buy a lightly used 05 spec'd out just like mine, and buy it outright (no finance). So they made me another offer: $4500 down if the potential buyer wants my car, and my rates will stay the same. That to me is reasonable.

We'll see where it goes from here...

Quick Reply: Want to ditch the 5AT and buy a 6MT