VW converts check in

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We also have to keep in mind that Volkswagen introduced the new version of the current golf/jetta approx 2-3 years before this version was introduced in North America. One would think that Volkswagen AG would have ironed all these problems out by year 2000, but then again, this necessarily isn't the case.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Yeah the '04.5 GLI looks promising, I'm a fan of the VR6 line however so I'm sticking with my 24v VR6. It will be interesting how the Mk V's do however, apparantly the VW brass are pushing lots of money into improving the reliability, to try to reverse the trend of VW's being known as unreliable. If the Mk V's don't improve on that then heads will roll.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by TSXforme
We also have to keep in mind that Volkswagen introduced the new version of the current golf/jetta approx 2-3 years before this version was introduced in North America. One would think that Volkswagen AG would have ironed all these problems out by year 2000, but then again, this necessarily isn't the case.

The Golf was made in Germany until a few years ago. In the last 1-2 years, the car came from Brazil (Curitiba). The Jetta is made in Mexico, as is the Beetle.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Intermediate

VWs suck

I apologize for anyone who read this post before - i posted it in a different thread but thought anyone thinking about buying a vw should truly reconsider - here's why...

Vws suck - My wife and I know this for a fact.

1.) Owned 2000 Jetta Lemon - we forced vw of america to buy it back under california lemon law (the car was in for service about 3 times a month - mostly for the same problems)

2.) Owned 2002 Passat 1.8T - car was plagued with problems - 1.8t engine coils all bad, dashboard creaked and popped as loud as a gunshot, had to replace entire radio, air conditioning didn't drain properly so it smelled of rotten eggs every time you turned it on, monsoon stereo sounded average at best and multiple speakers blown after using stereo at average level (around 3), multiple recalls - not just coils - wheel well by gas tank, etc.

3.) This should raise your attention --- The Dealers all suck - at least all in Los Angeles.

We took our car in for a routine oil change to the Santa Monica, CA VW dealer (owned by an !@# named Mike Sullivan - he owns several dealers luckily not Acura) - they called us 2 hours later to let us know that their security guard let a thief walk in off the street and the guard opened the electronic gate for him as he stole our car (the guard said he thought he recognized the theif as a vw employee - nice huh)

so our car was stolen because the vw dealership's policy is to leave the keys in our unlocked cars and they aren't guarded properly (no cameras - nothing) - the dealer won't take responsibility (under the law of mutaul bailment they are liable - but we're thinking of just settling it with our insurance because we can't afford a lawyer) think about that the next time you consider how high car insurance premiums are today...

Anyway, after many sleepless nights, full of rage, we have decided to move on and decided our next car will be the TSX - even if it has rattles and mirrors that aren't heated - the reliabilty of the engine and beautiful design will do just fine.

Any questions??
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Advanced

Owned 1998 GTI VR6 and 1999 Jetta GL... both sucked. The GTI was the better of both but it still was always having issues and both cars where bought brand new and perfectly maintained. No more VWs for me...
Old 06-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Banned

That and I'm so glad to be out of the VWVortex forum. Man that place is filled with dipshits
I strongly disagree.

VWVortex is the biggest automobile forum and my favorite, even if I do not own a VW any longer. The Car Lounge is generally open-minded.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:04 AM
HCF
'Insert witty text here'

Actually, I the car lounge only to be open-minded if you're a flaming liberal who hates SUVs
Old 06-19-2004, 03:46 PM
4th Gear

My previous car was a 1999 Jetta GLX. Biggest piece of crap ever. I couldn't do half the mods I wanted to do because my car was always broke. I can rant forever about that car, I will never buy another Volkswagen.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:43 PM
10th Gear

99 Passat

Had a 99 Passat GLS. 1.8T, 5MT. Loved the way it drove/handled, but after 4 years the car starting falling apart around the drivetrain. rattles, interior pieces coming unglued. I also had issues with the VW service Dept. as well. I've had my Silver/grey nonav 5MT TSX for a little over a year and have been nothing but pleased
Old 06-29-2004, 07:27 PM
ric
Safety Car

No Contest

Am just turning in my 2001 Jetta GLX with sports suspension and 17" wheels. I loved the car at first - great handling, great low-end torque and a fully loaded interior. It has been a lot of fun to toss around, and it became the favorite of the mail room folks for delivery runs........ (Its a company car). It was a costly beast and stood on the showroom floor at the same price as my new TXS. Could have driven a Passat for less. However, the love affair began to fade when both windows descended into the car doors with a shattering sound, the steering link (? I believe) failed, and the car would not shift out of park, the ignition motor needed to be replaced, and I grew accustomed to more idiot lights blinking on and off on my dash than on a Christmas tree. I've had the car towed three times, twice from my high-rise apartment building parking garage (there are two towing agencies who tow out of structured garages in Philly, and I know them both on speed-dial basis), The coil problems (I believe; the dealorship is not talking....) result in stalling out or losing power, whether in bumper/bumper traffic or rattling on the Garden State Parkway at 85. Always exciting, always a thrill, and the joy is that this particular dysfunction is never predictable!!! Combine that with a dealorship staffed by people trained in advance rudeness while they schedule you two weeks out and it all became rather tiresome. I am turning this beast in two months early just to get into a predicable automobile. Moreover, Jetta no longer carries an equivalent to my GLX; they want you to buy some anemically powered Audi A4 instead. Gas mileage has deteriorated to 14 mpg in town, 23 on the road. I will not lease or buy a VW product until they address the design and QC of their electrical systems. And, somewhere else on this webpage, someone has noted that VW has yet to master the art of a dashboard multidisc player, hardly rocket scientistry. I'm a convert. I'm willing to live with less low-end torque for better handling and much much better reliability. I pick up my TSX later this week. I haven't driven it more than the test drive, and it is already better.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:33 PM
ric
Safety Car

No Contest

Am just turning in my 2001 Jetta GLX with sports suspension and 17" wheels. I loved the car at first - great handling, great low-end torque and a fully loaded interior. It has been a lot of fun to toss around, and it became the favorite of the mail room folks for delivery runs........ (Its a company car). It was a costly beast and stood on the showroom floor at the same price as my new TXS. Could have driven a Passat for less. However, the love affair began to fade when both windows descended into the car doors with a shattering sound, the steering link (? I believe) failed, and the car would not shift out of park, the ignition motor needed to be replaced, and I grew accustomed to more idiot lights blinking on and off on my dash than on a Christmas tree. I've had the car towed three times, twice from my high-rise apartment building parking garage (there are two towing agencies who tow out of structured garages in Philly, and I know them both on speed-dial basis), The coil problems (I believe; the dealorship is not talking....) result in stalling out or losing power, whether in bumper/bumper traffic or rattling on the Garden State Parkway at 85. Always exciting, always a thrill, and the joy is that this particular dysfunction is never predictable!!! Combine that with a dealorship staffed by people trained in advance rudeness while they schedule you two weeks out and it all became rather tiresome. I am turning this beast in two months early just to get into a predicable automobile. Moreover, Jetta no longer carries an equivalent to my GLX; they want you to buy some anemically powered Audi A4 instead. Gas mileage has deteriorated to 14 mpg in town, 23 on the road. I will not lease or buy a VW product until they address the design and QC of their electrical systems. And, somewhere else on this webpage, someone has noted that VW has yet to master the art of a dashboard multidisc player, hardly rocket scientistry. I'm a convert. I'm willing to live with less low-end torque for better handling and much much better reliability. I pick up my TSX later this week. I haven't driven it more than the test drive, and it is already better.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Wow, this thread sounds like a broken record...

Keep in mind, I'd say its safe to say that the vast majority of guys who have switched back to Japanese after owning VW's are the guys who have had major problems. VW drivers tend to be very loyal, and if you give them a reliable car they will be customers for life. Knowing that, this is probably the reason why everyone on this board has seemed to have problems.

Unfortunately, I fall into the category that many of you fall into...

I owned a 2002 GTI 1.8T, had it for 15 months, put 52,000km on it. Fun as hell to drive, comfortable, but thats about the only things desirable about the car.

Mine suffered from the usual list of problems; coilpacks, MAF sensors, O2 sensors, window regulators, broken cupholders, rattles etc...

I even had one day where the O2 sensor and MAF sensor went at the same time...the car stalled and I had to have it towed into the dealer. After they were replaced and I was leaving the dealer, I went to roll up the window and the focking regulator went!

I also had 2 wheel bearings replaced, had a severe water leak in the hatch that was channelling water into the backseat causing mold to grow underneath the floormat... :sqntfawk:

Needless to say this car was bad news, and I couldn't wait to see it leave my driveway.

Then I picked up a 2004 A4 1.8T, expecting only slightly less problems. But so far, the car has been far better than expected! I have not had a single problem out of the norm besides a shifter knob that was peeling (replaced under warranty).

I now have 42,000km on the A4, and despite excellent reliability so far, the thought of owning this car beyond warranty scares me. Therefore, its time to go back to Japanese...
Old 06-30-2004, 08:43 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
I now have 42,000km on the A4, and despite excellent reliability so far, the thought of owning this car beyond warranty scares me. Therefore, its time to go back to Japanese...
Don't do it!

Just kidding. Actually, the TSX seems much less Japanese-like like than other Hondas. It's not at all soft and it's handling is best-in-class for a FWD car.

I feel the same as you do regarding the VW problems, but I haven't had (knocking on wood) any significant issues on my 01 Jetta WE in over 2 years, so I'm still straddling the fence. There is something to be said for having "3 year old car serenity", and that last car payment being only 11 months away is something I'm thinking about, too.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

Old 07-01-2004, 08:32 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys, had a 99 Passat GLS 1.8T 5MT. loved the way it drove/handled & the interior. BUT, after five years the car started falling apart around the drivetrain. interior pieces falling off, rattles, etc. I traded it in on my silver 6MT Nonav a year ago and have been very, very happy.