Used 2008 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
m54
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used 2008 TSX

New around here, I'm thinking about purchasing used 08 TSX with about 130k KM ( 80,000miles ).

Before i go, i'd like to know as much info on the car and what to look for. I've done a decent amount of reading, i know that 06+ receieved some nice refinements, i'd just like to double check to make sure i'm not missing anything!

I know of the warped rotor issue, but that should be taken care of with aftermarket rotors , not too worried about that one.

I read briefly something about the door lock actuators ? Can anyone expand on that?

Anything else i should be looking at or paying close attention to?

Black 2008 with Nav, 80,000miles, approx $13,500

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m54
New around here, I'm thinking about purchasing used 08 TSX with about 130k KM ( 80,000miles ).

Before i go, i'd like to know as much info on the car and what to look for. I've done a decent amount of reading, i know that 06+ receieved some nice refinements, i'd just like to double check to make sure i'm not missing anything!

I know of the warped rotor issue, but that should be taken care of with aftermarket rotors , not too worried about that one.

I read briefly something about the door lock actuators ? Can anyone expand on that?

The door lock actuators will (most likely) fail eventually - most of the Honda/Acura models have the same issue as they share the same basic part/design. There are a few DIY replacement threads on this forum which are fairly good if you are so mechanically inclined. The front passengers side failed on mine at 83k miles, but the other ones surprisingly look OK still (93k miles now).

Other than that, the alternator failed a few months ago (~$250 to replace it at my local mechanics), the sensor which measures the accelerator petal position (APP) failed last month, about $200 to replace that. Oh, the rear brake pads from Acura/Honda suck - I replaced mine with Hawk ceramics and all is good. I have not had the rotor warp issue.

So, all in all, not too bad for a 2006. Still to this day I enjoy driving the car very much. BTW, the only mod I have is the Comptech RSB, which IMHO is the best mod for the buck.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by m54

The most important thing you could do would be to try and get your hands on a service history. 80K miles is not heavy lifting for a Honda, but regular, scheduled, maintenance (at a minimum) is extremely important, and key to making these cars last. I had an 05 (sold 1-013 with 178K miles) and my wife still drives an 07 (w/ 210K miles) and both were/are pretty bulletproof. Not much more than wear and tear and maintenance for both. The power door lock actuator thing is a long standing problem with Honda (I had to replace one in my 1992 Honda Accord EX almost 20 years ago), though it seems to be the luck of the draw (replaced the driver's door actuator in the 05 at the 3 year mark, and nothing yet for the 07). Same for a few other items, like the starter and alternator. I'm not familiar with the history of the NAV system as far as reliability is concerned. With the exception of some of the 04's, overall, the 1st gen TSX was/is very reliable. At 80K miles, and 6 years old, your 08 should be ready for new brake fluid (replace every 3 years regardless of mileage), and is probably ready for new coolant and a complete AT (or MT) fluid change. Other than regular maintenance and wear and tear items (air/cabin filters, oil and filter, probably an alignment, brakes), you should be good to go for another 25K miles or so before any real major maintenance (spark plugs and adjust the valves at 105K). The engine has chain driven cams (so no belt to replace) and there's no maintenance interval on it, though a few have had problems here. Those may have been poor maintenance though, and with regular oil changes, again, any problem is probably the luck of the draw. The 08's are the last of the breed (and the rarest, since the 2nd gen was introduced in like March 08). I assume your car is Canadian, so I can't comment on the price.