Used '04 TL or brand new TSX???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 08:28 AM
G35 Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used '04 TL or brand new TSX???

I know, i know, one is used, one isn't. I am having a tough time deciding which to go for. IF I can get a used TL for about 29K (NAV, 15K miles) or a new TSX for about 27K (w/NAV) it is a tough decision. The TL has:
-More power
-more room
-IMHO, better looks
-more options like memory seats, more power features in the seats, etc.

The TSX has:
-More fun factor
-better handling
-more point and shoot since it seems so much smaller
-better gas mileage

It is hard to do!! I think I need the room of the TL when I go out at night and other people are in the back, plus the extra power will feel good compared to my other car. Though I don't usually drive with many people in the car, it is nice to have the extra room. The better gas mileage of the TSX is a big plus considering this is the car that we would take on long trips (we take about 6 350+ mile trips a year).

I know this is a decision that I need to make myself, but I want to see what others have used to decide on the TSX over the TL. Maybe Acura should cheapen out the TSX or raise the price on the TL to make them less competitive with each other!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
I would take the TL. My feeling is:

TSX (no nav) < TL (no nav) < TSX (nav) < TL (nav)

15K miles is nothing for an Acura.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Race Director

What year TSX, 05? They got some power feature additions of that helps any. Personally, im not really comfortable buying a used car, so id probably opt for the new TSX. But either way, it's a win win situation
Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Personally, im not really comfortable buying a used car, so id probably opt for the new TSX.

Same here. Unless you can find a mechanic that you trust to give the used car a really extensive inspection, I’d be a little wary of a TL with only 15,000 miles. Either they really didn’t like the car, decided to move up to a new RL or they had some problems.

I assume the warranty left over on the TL is transferable.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think a 04 TL under 30K is i'll probably take the TL.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:49 AM
nothing but acura

At least you are choosing between two winners. I think you will apprciate the added low end torque and standard feature in the TL. As long as you keep up with the preventative maintinence, and I'm talking about going 200k miles, the transmittion is the only part you have to worry about going bad in a honda product. So an extra 15k before you buy it just means that its broken for you to start the fun faster.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:52 AM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
What year TSX, 05? They got some power feature additions of that helps any. Personally, im not really comfortable buying a used car, so id probably opt for the new TSX. But either way, it's a win win situation
Yeah, it would be an '05. The power passenger seat is a plus, but considering my wife and I share cars, the memory seats are a nice plus (TL) since my wife is 5'2" and I am 6'2".

That is my dilemma. Buying a used car. I have done it before with good luck, but when you are spending 30K, you don't want to make any mistakes!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:20 AM
6 speed yo!

Originally Posted by brett
Same here. Unless you can find a mechanic that you trust to give the used car a really extensive inspection, I’d be a little wary of a TL with only 15,000 miles. Either they really didn’t like the car, decided to move up to a new RL or they had some problems.

I assume the warranty left over on the TL is transferable.
lol....15k miles is nothing.

i just saw an 00 TL with 175k miles for sale yesterday. as said in an above post...only the transmission was a problem.

get the TL.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:34 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I looked at the TL and TSX (05s) w/nav. For me personally, price is not the biggest issue since the TSX is basically $30 and the TL $35. and when you're spending that much anyways, a few thousand bucks should not be the driving force.

I am choosing the TSX b/c it's a nimbler car, has a better view (my wife is shorter than I am and could not see well over in the TL), and just doesn't feel as humongous. Perhaps I am used to driving a smaller car...
Old 11-20-2004, 04:42 PM
White and Nerdy

I originally set out to buy a TL, hooked in by the looks. Long story short, I felt that:

1. the TSX handled better than the TL - during the test drive, I spun the tires on the TL pressing the gas not even halfway down trying to turn onto a busy road...yes, power is nice, but I can't imagine on a winter road wanting the tires to spin like that, also the torque steeer issue. The TSX just felt more solid to me, and it did (and has done) everything I have asked of it, driving wise. I know that is subjective, but thats my take on it.

2. got better gas (but reportedly not by too much)

3. Had much better reviews from both the automotive press and owners reports online.

4. Built in Japan (I freely announce my bias on that issue)

5. I didn't need XM or bluetooth, so why should I pay for them?

6. Everyone and their mother has a TL around here now...TSX is more unique (again, maybe a personality hang up on my part, or where I live)

7. I could save $5,000 !!!! (not as much of an issue for you, however, given its a used TL)

I agree its a win win situation. Initially, I really liked the looks of the TL, but the more I look at the TSX, the more I think that its a prettier, nicer looking car than the TL. Yeah, it doesnt have that mean look that the TL has, but the TSX has some very interesting lines and it really grows on you after a while. Its subtile, rather than in your face. I realize that this is all subjective, but thats my take.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Instructor

I see your delima...i was in a similar situation. but here is something to think about...go on any used car site...autonation.com, cars.com and see how many used TLs you can find. Then see how many used TSX you can find. '04 to '04. You will find there are more '04 used TLs for sale and less '04 used TSX...point being...not as many TSX's in the market -> higher resale value.

But the TL is also a great car. Plently of power, about as quick as a G35, and the navi with bluetooth is incredible. And don't forget the DVD audio system!

I guess i didn't help much with this one, huh?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsxhondatuner
lol....15k miles is nothing.
I agree if it has been properly driven and maintained. However, if it has been run into a curb, in an accident, beat, etc., there will be trouble. You should be cautious when purchasing any used car, regardless of the mileage. While a reputable dealer will keep trash off his used car lot, not all of them will. Just be careful.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:09 AM
ric
Safety Car

TL vs TSX has been posted a number of times, and you can find any supporting opinion you want to justify what you want to do. I evaluated both the TL and TSX for lease - cost difference per month was only abut $50, not a dealbreaker. I went to the dealer frankly thinking that I would lease the TL, and test drove the TSX for a lark and ended up leasing it instead.

Mine is a company car, and I note that it carries four folks from time to time. While I wouldn't go on a cross country trip with four folks, it holds four adequately for a one/two hour stint - back seats are not bad, back armrest and beverage holder is a real plus.

I went with the TSX because of many of the reasons cited, including nimble handling, smaller body to navigate (much of my driving is in a large city with an older infrastructure of streets). I found the TL to be a bit heavy and not nearly as sweet in handling.

If you want to objectify your effort, create a list, and number each asset and debit; add up the score and make your decision.

And - listen to what the folks have to say about buying used. My wife always does, but she always has an independent mechanic review the car beforehand. I would question as to why a one-year old car is on the market (divorce? Moved? bankrupt? traded in for an RL? or an accident? beater miles - inner city stop/go, short trips - can age a car more quickly than highway miles). 15,000 miles is nothing for a TL, which is why most folks keep their cars for more than one year.................. and those 15,000 miles are negligable if they have been "good" miles - accident free).