USA Spec MP3 Adapter, where did you route your cable through?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA Spec MP3 Adapter, where did you route your cable through?

I've heard you only have to take out the one compartment above the "Not an astray compartment" to install the USA spec. If so, then how do you route the cable that goes to the IPOD? when you replace the compartment? Did you drill a hole in it?

THanks,
Chris
Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you mean the storage bin not "NOT AN ASHTRAY".

When I did an install for another member, I drilled a hole in the back, right in back of where the light is. He stores his Ipod in the storage bin.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Chris

Is there any other way to do it then drillin the hole? that seems like the best option but I just want to make sure noone has done anything else clever? Also, how do you get the stupid storage bin off? It doesn't want to come off with sheer force, where do you apply pressure?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

shifter down all the way. Then put fingers under the try pull fowardly out and lift a very little pull hard but smooth.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do a search, there a bunch of different threads about removing that bin... it really is as easy as they say... put your hands in, press to the outsides and pull towards you... it takes ALOT of force to get it out the first time... then it gets easier...

i drilled the hole as well.... how else are you going to route it? you're gonna have to drill a hole somewhere unless you want a wire poking out of the footwell area running up to your cup holder...

you won't see the hole cuz it's so dark back there, just make sure you make it big enough for the small end of the connector to go through...

i also didn't put the hole at the bottom of the pocket (to keep small things from falling through if i want to put them in the pocket) i put it closer to the top of the rear 'wall'.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what you do, do not pull by the door. It will break long before the pocket comes out.

I did something 'clever' I think if you want a harder wiring option. I removed the small box in the center armrest compartment that has the aux input and cig lighter power. I used a dremel to make a small notch just big enough for the ipod cable wire. With it still out, I used a wire fish tool to run the cable under the shifter and past the 'not an ashtray' back to where the USA SPEC unit lives. This way, I keep my ipod in the top area of my center armrest.

But, the much easier way is what's up top. Drill a small hole in the top/back of the storage pocket just big enough for the small end of the connector, and run it through there. Keep your ipod in that storage area. Close the door and no one will ever know, so its nice and theft-deterrent as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

i just did the install about a month ago and didnt do any drilling.

my ipod is stored inside the glove box...routing the wire over there isnt too hard either. theres just enough space near the bottom left side of the glove box to route the wire through. from there i just passed the wire behind the plastic cover by the passenger footwell.

closing the glove box needs a little more force now because of the thickness of the cable, but nothing too bad. it actually helped get rid of my glove box rattle though!

hope that made sense...if you want i can try to post pics
Old 12-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Your mount location should also be determine by what mode you run the USASpec in. If you run it in direct mode, where you control the songs yourself via the Ipod, you probably want to put it somewhere easily accessible like the storage bin. If you are running the other mode where you will control it mostly via the stock HU, then the glovebox or center armrest are great places to store it out of the way.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Your mount location should also be determine by what mode you run the USASpec in. If you run it in direct mode, where you control the songs yourself via the Ipod, you probably want to put it somewhere easily accessible like the storage bin. If you are running the other mode where you will control it mostly via the stock HU, then the glovebox or center armrest are great places to store it out of the way.
I am strongly thinking about getting one of these and can you choose the diffrent songs you want through the hands device on sterling wheel and switch to a song also on the ipod? I can be confusing when asking questions I know but i hope that wasn't to confusing.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Red_TSX
I am strongly thinking about getting one of these and can you choose the diffrent songs you want through the hands device on sterling wheel and switch to a song also on the ipod? I can be confusing when asking questions I know but i hope that wasn't to confusing.
This is my understanding of it. If you put it in non-direct mode.

Buttons 1,2,3,4,5 on the factory stereo will be 5 different playlists. You need to generate these playlists in Itunes. At this point, you can use your steering wheel controls to go forward and back through the tracks. Button 6 will be assigned to all tracks on the Ipod.

The USASpec also has an AUX input. I won't talk about how you interface with that, because it might just confuse people, but let me know if you want clarification.