Two questions - CD-Text and Navi in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 PM
dP-
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two questions - CD-Text and Navi in Canada

Hi all,

Looking at getting a TSX with navi and couldn't find these answered in the forums. 2 questions:

1. Does the cd-changer play cd-text CD's
2. Anyone in Canada have the navi package? How good is it in terms of accuracy and points of interest (ie. updated data)? I live in the GTA and am on the fence on getting it.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure, but I'd try this question on the TL forum since the Nav system is likely very similar.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:14 AM
2005 Acura TSX 6MT in ABP

Originally Posted by dP-
1. Does the cd-changer play cd-text CD's
Thanks!
It does play cd-text cds but does not show the cd-text on the display. An oversight if you ask me.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Super old thread, now risen from the dead...

My 2008 TSX with navi won't display CD-text either...VERY DUMB! No MP3 or CD-text...what the hell kind of hardware did Acura buy? :S

I'm probably going to get a DICE for my iPod and I don't think it will display mp3 tag info either. There's gotta be a way around this.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Search! It's been covered many times.

Please see the A/V forum in Off Topic for more options.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:13 PM

I stand by my post. Searching yielded nothing new. Nobody posts anything from Canada about this problem, or if an iPod kit will display cd-text. USA cars will because of the XM radio, but we don't have that up here...
Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
10th Gear

I actually just started a thread about whether the Canadian and US head units were the same unit. I would suggest that they were but wanted to know why the XM tab doesn't come up on the audio display screen. The person who answered said that they read in another thread that if you unplug the XM then the tab goes away. I would hasten a guess that if you did buy the Dice unit, the tab would pop up if you plugged it in. With the tab, you would get text. Now if only someone from Canada had tried it - either with satellite radio or the Dice unit - and could confirm.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 05 non - navi Canadian car.
And NO TEXT does not display on the deck, I am using the dice unit and have had 2 units sent to me with the same result. the Canadian deck is different, and the text function only come with the car deck equipped with XM function (US car).

I haven't found anyone yet that has had TEXT on a non navi Canadian deck, I can't speak for car's with NAVI but NON-NAVI = TEXT
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM

There's got to be somebody in this country that can confirm or deny. If anything, maybe you could call a dealership and ask them to temporarily install your DICE in one of their navi cars?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM

This is from uncald4

"The DICE kit will use the XM input. No matter if you have a Canadian model vehicle or an American model. All the Honda radio's have the same capabilities within model lines. So, if you have a 2005 to 2008 TSX radio you'll have TEXT."
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AZDJedi
This is from uncald4

"The DICE kit will use the XM input. No matter if you have a Canadian model vehicle or an American model. All the Honda radio's have the same capabilities within model lines. So, if you have a 2005 to 2008 TSX radio you'll have TEXT."

I just ordered one from Dice so I'll tell you in 3-5 days whether it works or not. At the very least, I'll be able to change tracks with the steering wheel controls.

I suspect that it will show text as long as it is hooked up to the Sat input. I can't see them using different head units and Uncald4 sounds pretty convincing.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
According to my knowledge cad dont have xm or the antenna.

They also have a different cd changer screen.

US 05 has a line of 6 cds
CAD all years have a circle of cds.

So im sure their abit differnt, we found this out back in 05 during a winter meet with me and some canadians that crossed over.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 AM

This is directly from DICE....Now all we need to find out is if our Canadian changer supports XM

----EMAIL FROM DICE

Text display will only show up if your system supports factory XM and the XM is not installed. If your car does not support XM, the kit will still work but text will not be displayed.

Best Regards

----END EMAIL FROM DICE
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced

I tried to TELL you guys "Unclad" = Travis and Nick from DICE were my best friends right up until they got my money.

then Travis became a jerk when I told him that TEXT wasnt working, he basically said "oh well call DICE and let me know what they say".

I did CALL DICE and I was lucky enough to actully get NICK on the phone he is a real nice guy but his information is wrong, and it was based on an
"ASSUMPTION" that all the decks CANADIAN and otherwise have the same software and thus can do the same.

I have everything documented from all the e-mails that went back and forth to both TRAVIS and NICK.

They are wrong, TEXT will not work on a CANADIAN car because it doesn't have the same software for the XM function. NOW I AM SPEAKING FOR THE NON-NAVI deck.

Nick did try to help me and send me a second unit, well that one didn't work either. He than said "sorry I don't know what else to do".

End result the DICE unit does not work as advertised No TEXT and only half of the functions that are suppose to work actully work.

I'm not gonna sit here and say they lied but after it was discovered nobody wanted to take any responsiblity.

I asked for contact infor for any other Canadian owners that have a working DICE unit. They both Travis and Nick said yeah sure there's ton's of Canadians with working DICE units.

Well anyone that I've spoken with on the forum or otherwise has yet to say the Unit worked.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
CL9 ABP

Honesty most of us don't care about the display text with what ever were using, I and some older members given up on that.

It was cool when you can control the volume on your ipod and change the songs, even i don't really care for it much.

alot of these things are universal and just fit using the specific connectors.

I stated earlier that US and cad were different since the 04 never had xm and cad never had it either. Thinking that they are the same units produced.

I was wondering why mine looked so different than theirs let me pull up a picture.

us

cad
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM

so why would i want to NOT get the i-linc (musiclink) from acura?

DICE is supposd to be better because of text and searching and all that; but if i'm not even gonna get those things....???

Does text-to-speech work on the canadian musiclink?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

Hey:

So now that my R4 unit is on the way, does anyone have a pic of the back of the head unit where I'm supposed to plug it in? I know it can go in as either a CD changer or in place of the XM unit. I don't want to attach it to the wrong port and then complain that text doesn't work when in fact it could.

Thanks.

AZDJedi - if for no other reason, get the Dice because it is half the price of the ilink.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
CL9 ABP

There is only one port in the back its a bit hard to reach but you can feel it.
Its like press down on the clip and it should pull out.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Thanks!

Good to know that I can only plug it in to one thing.

How does the stereo differentiate between a CD changer and Satellite radio though with only one input? The latter allows text while the former doesn't?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Just to throw in another datapoint, I've got an '05 non-navi that has XM (unplugged)... No text with the IceLink R3.

It did display song names with XM radio...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
CL9 ABP

I'm pretty sure one supports the text and cad and 04 does not its just a basic cd display
Old 04-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Canuck

Hmmm.

According to the navi update webpage (the page where you buy the navi discs), Version 3.40 for the 05 TSX added feature was "The TSX offers XM Radio navigation control ".

I have the 3.30 version. For those of you with the DICE and navi, which navi version do you have?

I wonder if you use 3.40+ version of the navi, will you get text since the software for navi is on the 3.40 version of the disc?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

I finally installed my Dice today. I have an 08 TSX with Navi and live in Canada. The Dice unit works as advertised. I have the text info under the now there XM tab. There is no text on the little screen up at the top where the clock is, but I have all the info on my Nav screen.

For those Canadians with Navi that were wondering, it works just fine.

Now, can someone who has a Dice tell me which scroll setting on tab 6 leaves the song name on the bottom while scrolling the band and the album on the second row up? It never really is described in the manual.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 PM
dP-
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arcanum777
I finally installed my Dice today. I have an 08 TSX with Navi and live in Canada. The Dice unit works as advertised. I have the text info under the now there XM tab. There is no text on the little screen up at the top where the clock is, but I have all the info on my Nav screen.

For those Canadians with Navi that were wondering, it works just fine.

Now, can someone who has a Dice tell me which scroll setting on tab 6 leaves the song name on the bottom while scrolling the band and the album on the second row up? It never really is described in the manual.

Thanks
Canadians don't have the XM button...

This is the email I got direct from DICE...so no dice.
To my knowledge, the Canadian Honda systems do not have the XM button as it is not available in Canada, is that correct? Our kit supports text only in XM mode so if you do not have that feature available, the system will not support text from our kit. The Honda-R4 kit will still work with your car, just minus the text display.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:08 AM
10th Gear

Mine doesn't have the XM script on it but the CD/Aux botton cycles through the XM tab as well. It's funny though because even though the XM tab on the top of the display is before the CD Changer tab, when you push the mode button it skips over XM to CD and then jumps back to XM with the next push.

I didn't do anything special or anything to get it to work. I simply set the Dice's dip switches for SAT operation and then removed the battery leads, took out the compartment below the CD changer and plugged in the Dice. The plug had something in it and was on the bottom of the radio - if that means anything to anyone. I thought it was on the back but it was on the bottom. Does anyone know what was plugged into it? I was expecting it to be empty because I don't have XM.

I was pretty sure that the radio unit was going to be the same in both the US and Canadian cars. The Navi disk is the same so I was hopeful that all I had to do was plug in the Dice. Thankfully, I was right.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder if you can change songs using ipod if you have DICE. I just bought a product called iSimple and I can only change songs using car radio.(ipod simply displays it's in use by other equipment)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Luded
I tried to TELL you guys "Unclad" = Travis and Nick from DICE were my best friends right up until they got my money.

then Travis became a jerk when I told him that TEXT wasnt working, he basically said "oh well call DICE and let me know what they say".

I did CALL DICE and I was lucky enough to actully get NICK on the phone he is a real nice guy but his information is wrong, and it was based on an
"ASSUMPTION" that all the decks CANADIAN and otherwise have the same software and thus can do the same.

I have everything documented from all the e-mails that went back and forth to both TRAVIS and NICK.

They are wrong, TEXT will not work on a CANADIAN car because it doesn't have the same software for the XM function. NOW I AM SPEAKING FOR THE NON-NAVI deck.

Nick did try to help me and send me a second unit, well that one didn't work either. He than said "sorry I don't know what else to do".

End result the DICE unit does not work as advertised No TEXT and only half of the functions that are suppose to work actully work.

I'm not gonna sit here and say they lied but after it was discovered nobody wanted to take any responsiblity.

I asked for contact infor for any other Canadian owners that have a working DICE unit. They both Travis and Nick said yeah sure there's ton's of Canadians with working DICE units.

Well anyone that I've spoken with on the forum or otherwise has yet to say the Unit worked.

I am a Canadian 2006 TSX with Navi owner, just got the DICE R4, they do display text as advertised.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

hey vincent, can you change songs using ipod while its hooked up to the car?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by n3ok318
hey vincent, can you change songs using ipod while its hooked up to the car?

not if you wanna text display, when in Text display mode, everything on ipod is locked down. if not in Text display mode, ipod is fully functional

PS. it works with iphone as well, only ipod part of the iphone is locked down