Two Door TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Door TSX

Does anyone know if there will be a two door version of the TSX in the future??
THANKS
Old 08-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why would there be a two door tsx when the rsx is a two door? Answer, there wouldn't be.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:34 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
no.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:14 PM
More On

Originally posted by briny319
Why would there be a two door tsx when the rsx is a two door? Answer, there wouldn't be.
Actually, briny, I can see plenty of reason. The TSX is a quite different car, and I can imagine that many potential TSX buyers might prefer a 2-door.

BTW there's a duplicate thread; maybe they should be merged.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Actually, briny, I can see plenty of reason. The TSX is a quite different car, and I can imagine that many potential TSX buyers might prefer a 2-door.

BTW there's a duplicate thread; maybe they should be merged.
I really highly doubt that. The back end of the TSX and RSX are already so damn similar. Added to that what are they going to call it? I think if they just redesign the RSX completely to make it a TSX coupe i would understand but otherwise the RSX i think will be the only lower end coupe. Of course the coupe i think people are waiting for is the replacement for CL. I think they are just going to upgrade the RSX as most and not produce a TSX coupe.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by finalheaven
I really highly doubt that. The back end of the TSX and RSX are already so damn similar. Added to that what are they going to call it? I think if they just redesign the RSX completely to make it a TSX coupe i would understand but otherwise the RSX i think will be the only lower end coupe. Of course the coupe i think people are waiting for is the replacement for CL. I think they are just going to upgrade the RSX as most and not produce a TSX coupe.
I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that the next gen RSX will be based on the TSX. Acura did a fine job creating a sports sedan to compete with the 325...but nothing to compete with the 325ci. The RSX isn't even close and was never meant to be. If they make a coupe based off the TSX sedan platform, then they will have 325ci competition. Besides, I think too many people avoid the RSX because it's so cheap and youth oriented. If they bring it upmarket just a little, then they'll attract a bigger audience...the type of audience that's making the TSX sell like mad. I'd buy a "TSX coupe" but I'd never buy the current RSX.

Acura is supposedly bring the TL upmarket a little to compete with the 5 series. The replacement for the CL should compete with the 6 series, IMHO.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:42 PM
More On

I think it might have been mostly before FH's time, but on the old site there was a lot of discussion for a while about TSX vs. RSX, and what we saw was that there are very, very great differences between the cars. To a great extent the cars have different audiences, although of course there is some overlap. (In fact, the starting point for some of the discussions was that an RSX owner would say he was thinking of trading it in for the TSX and he wondered how the cars compared.)

TSX is much more luxurious, roomier, much more comfortable seats (many many TSX'ers said they just couldn't stand the seats in the RSX), more comfortable ride.

RSX is more of a driver's car, with better performance.

The cars are just very different. I don't see how it can be said that the existence of the RSX takes care of any would-be TSX'ers who want a 2-door. Very few of those people would just get an RSX; they'd go completely elsewhere.

Probably the Accord coupe -- which is maybe why Honda/Acura isn't too worried about it.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by briny319
The Civic-based RSX is not by a long shot a 2-door version alternate to the Accord-based TSX. Not by a long shot.

I would love a 2-door TSX, but I haven't heard or seen any evidence of one being developed.

It would be _logical_ (or relatively easy) for Honda/Acura to bring their JDM/Euro Accord wagon here as a TSX wagon. I don't know what kind of market demand there would be for a TSX wagon. On the other hand, a number of manufacturers have been introducing new wagons lately. The field is getting more and more crowded. I'm not a wagon fan, but the concept and market for them has always been there under different marketing GUISES, such as the SUV, XUV, and now the Cross-Over.

I can't see Honda/Acura leaving the 2-door entry-level luxury market empty, but they did discontinue the CL...perhaps to make room for a 2-door TSX????
Old 08-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Racer

TSX is much more luxurious, roomier, much more comfortable seats (many many TSX'ers said they just couldn't stand the seats in the RSX), more comfortable ride.

RSX is more of a driver's car, with better performance.

The cars are just very different. I don't see how it can be said that the existence of the RSX takes care of any would-be TSX'ers who want a 2-door. Very few of those people would just get an RSX; they'd go completely elsewhere.

Probably the Accord coupe -- which is maybe why Honda/Acura isn't too worried about it.
I honestly believe that acura cannot fit another coupe between like you said the accord coupe and the rsx. There will just be too many coupes. The only way i see is that they just redesign the RSX, make it more like the TSX and just completely change it over to a TSX coupe. I think people who drives coupes are more driver orientated anyawys. That is what the RSX provides. Or at least i think that's what acura is assuming. That is true that i would not want to get RSX, however i do not want any 2 doors. Or if i did it would be a full performace orientated like s2000. Or go towards full luxury like and if the new CL comes out. I don't believe however that there is a hole left for acura to fill.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:18 PM
More On

......That is true that i would not want to get RSX, however i do not want any 2 doors......
Me neither, for a reason that might not be true, and I've never seen it brought up here, so.....:

There used to be a feeling that 2-doors are more dangerous to you in an accident -- that they're less solid and you're more likely to get hurt bad.

Is there anything to this? If not, maybe did it used to be true?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Advanced

There used to be a feeling that 2-doors are more dangerous to you in an accident -- that they're less solid and you're more likely to get hurt bad.

Is there anything to this? If not, maybe did it used to be true?
Contemporary 2 doors are not per se more dangerous.
2 door convertibles and hardtops (of which there are very few left on the market) *used* to be more dangerous because, lacking B pillars, they were offered less protection in rollover accidents. Which is why in the mid 70's Detroit stopped making both due to the threat of lawsuits.
Most modern 2-doors are coupes with robust b and c pillars and offer at least as much rollover protection as any comparable car with four doors.
Of course, with modern finite-element analysis design tools, there is no reason why even hardtops can't be as safe as cars with thick B pillars. Indeed, MB thinks so, as witnessed by the current CLK series.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:46 PM
More On

Originally posted by fjtorres
Contemporary 2 doors are not per se more dangerous.
2 door convertibles and hardtops (of which there are very few left on the market) *used* to be more dangerous because, lacking B pillars, they were offered less protection in rollover accidents. Which is why in the mid 70's Detroit stopped making both due to the threat of lawsuits.
Most modern 2-doors are coupes with robust b and c pillars and offer at least as much rollover protection as any comparable car with four doors.
Of course, with modern finite-element analysis design tools, there is no reason why even hardtops can't be as safe as cars with thick B pillars. Indeed, MB thinks so, as witnessed by the current CLK series.
Thanks, FJ -- what an answer! I asked this question to a Toyota dealer a couple of years ago, and from the way he answered it (or, I should say, didn't answer it), it was obvious that he didn't know any better than I did.

P.S. Does this site kick ass or what?
Old 08-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 1killercls
no.
no.

ibtl

PS: Try the RSX
Old 08-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro

I think Larchmont talked about the 2-door TSX coming out
It is for 06 I believe
TSX Convertible only featuring Acura's new V6
hope my info is right

(Yes, I did it again)
Old 08-23-2003, 11:56 PM
More On

Originally posted by moreace
I think Larchmont talked about the 2-door TSX coming out.....
No, I just said there would be good reason for there to be one.

From all I can tell (i.e. from what I've seen on our boards), there won't be one, at least not any time soon.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro

obviously

I was pulling one of my annoying sarcastic comments again
Just used your name to make it seem more real to the n00bies