Turn Radius and Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Radius and Weight

What's the cause for the TSX's turn radius to be so huge? It's a bit annoying sometimes. My usual U-turns on certain streets now turn into 3-point turns Although this isn't a much of a problem, I did have to slightly alter the way I drive into a parking space (due to the wide turn) by turning in sooner. I used to drive a 2003 Camry SE (4 cylinder) and the turn radius was noticeably smaller than the TSX. Are there any mods to reduce the turn radius? Probably not huh? otherwise, I would read about it and see tons of recommendation for it here and there on this board >_>

Second, how is the TSX so heavy? it's obviously smaller than my Camry but it is almost 200 pounds heavier (I THINK! I researched the numbers a month ago but never got around to asking this question ). Even with the extra some 50-hp over my Camry, torque is only some 2 lbs more than my Camry yet it kicks off from a stop a lot better. Before I bought my TSX, I was thinking all that extra HP over the Camry would lost in trying to pull that extra weight. I was wrong... and that's good My TSX>>>my Camry

So now...weight and turn radius. enlighten me ^_^
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Pro

The turning radius is a byproduct of two things: wheel base length (longer the wheel base wider the turning circle) and second the degree to which the front wheels can turn. I cannot speak to why it is “so heavy,” but 200 isn’t that much. Add alloy wheels instead of steelies, some anti-roll bars, and more sound deadening and you are there. Plus the 4 cylinder in the TSX is larger than the one in the Camry and therefore most likely weights more. As far and being quicker off the line just a most aggressive gearing to the transmission and shifting a little quicker and the TSX will blow the doors off of your Camry.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The turning radius is the result of the TSX being FWD and using a double-wishbone suspension. The double-wishbone suspension limits the amount the wheels can turn and, as a result, increases the turning radius.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Pro

Correction to my own post: The new Camry's also have a 2.4L engine and so does the TSX. The older Camrys had a 2.2L engine which could be part of the difference, but I don't know what year Camry you had. I also thought of more things that add weight. Navi adds 20 or 30 pounds, a stiffer structure weights more (which the TSX has, getting in a Camry from a TSX is like going from driving a wooden spoon to driving a piece of cooked spaghetti), an automatic transmission weights over a hundred pounds more than a manual transmission. I am done making my list of weight adding feature...I am sure people can add many more.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Racer

I agree, I hate our turning radius. My girlfriend's pathfinder has a way tighter turning radius than my car does. I don't know about the double-wishbone suspension explanation because all of the Hondas and Acuras I've driven have had much tighter turning radiuses than the TSX.

I thought I remember reading about a steering rack swap for the TSX, but I don't remember what car it was swapped with. Or maybe it was an Integra and Civic swap, it's too early to think right now. haha
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Yes, the TSX turning radius is literally almost "worst in class". I don't know of a car of it's size that has a wider turning circle. It was almost 40 feet in the 04-05 models, but it's published as 38 feet now.

(My last car had a 33 foot turning circle -- it could practically do a U-turn on a 2 lane road... ).
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JayRoam
I agree, I hate our turning radius. My girlfriend's pathfinder has a way tighter turning radius than my car does. I don't know about the double-wishbone suspension explanation because all of the Hondas and Acuras I've driven have had much tighter turning radiuses than the TSX.

I thought I remember reading about a steering rack swap for the TSX, but I don't remember what car it was swapped with. Or maybe it was an Integra and Civic swap, it's too early to think right now. haha
Yes, but all Hondas and Acuras have had greater than average turning radiuses. If you compare it over the years, they are almost always near the top in terms of the size of the turning radius. It's just natural to the way double-wishbone suspensions are set up.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
If you look at how a double wishbone suspension works, you can see that it can only turn so far. The setup they choose works with the car well, but honestly is it a big deal just pull into a driverway and come out. Or don't even do u turns heh...

I mean its a small thing you don't really need everyday.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Time to Climb

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
i agree our turning radius could be better. it feels like you're circumventing a lake compared to the mdx!!! that suv is as nimble as they come, very impressive.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My first car was a Mercedes that could turn on a dime. It was like a dog chasing it's tail. I don't think the turn radius of the TSX is bad...I suppose I've become accustomed to it. When doing u-turns at intersections, I will go right slightly before beginning the u-turn.

3-point turns aren't bad...although I have a hard time judging distances out the back window of my TSX. I always stop 2 or 3 feet away when I think I'm just inches away.

By the way, fish008's statement about the long wheelbase makes sense. The RSX has a shorter wheelbase but its total length is shorter anyway. And the accord has the same wheelbase as a TSX, but since its total length is longer than the TSX, maybe it'll seem as if the accord turns better (when in fact, they turn the same and it's just psychological)? The wheelbase for a 2003 camry se is longer than the TSX (107.1 compared to 105.1). However, the camry's length of 189.2 is longer than the TSX's 183.5. That means the front would seem like it's turning alot more than that of the TSX.

Also, Honda engines like to rev. You need to get your RPM's up and keep them up there to get the specified torque. If you have a manual, you should be able to accelerate better than your camry. I haven't driven the auto, so I don't know if you'd have to go into SS for that.

As for weight...the TSX comes with alot of stuff standard. I don't know if your camry has bluetooth, 6-cd changer, etc. Goodies=weight.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 PM
beware of perverts

I have a hard time turning into parking spots, it always feels like I'm cutting it close but after I park I have all this space left.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced

turning Radius

Originally Posted by Zyuan10
What's the cause for the TSX's turn radius to be so huge? It's a bit annoying sometimes. My usual U-turns on certain streets now turn into 3-point turns Although this isn't a much of a problem, I did have to slightly alter the way I drive into a parking space (due to the wide turn) by turning in sooner. I used to drive a 2003 Camry SE (4 cylinder) and the turn radius was noticeably smaller than the TSX. Are there any mods to reduce the turn radius? Probably not huh? otherwise, I would read about it and see tons of recommendation for it here and there on this board >_>

Second, how is the TSX so heavy? it's obviously smaller than my Camry but it is almost 200 pounds heavier (I THINK! I researched the numbers a month ago but never got around to asking this question ). Even with the extra some 50-hp over my Camry, torque is only some 2 lbs more than my Camry yet it kicks off from a stop a lot better. Before I bought my TSX, I was thinking all that extra HP over the Camry would lost in trying to pull that extra weight. I was wrong... and that's good My TSX>>>my Camry

So now...weight and turn radius. enlighten me ^_^

Yep, that is why I will never buy another acura sedan again, all of them have a 39ft radius. The first gen tl had 34ft. second gen tl 36ft. Acura keeps on adding bigger and wider tires. I wish they would fine tune the suspension and keep smaller tires so that the turning radius would be smaller. Instead of taking the easy ruote and slapping on bigger/wider tires for better handling. Case in point second generation legend coupe only had 16" tires and handled pretty well.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I don't think that tire size would have that much impact on turning radius...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nguyendminh
Yep, that is why I will never buy another acura sedan again, all of them have a 39ft radius. The first gen tl had 34ft. second gen tl 36ft. Acura keeps on adding bigger and wider tires. I wish they would fine tune the suspension and keep smaller tires so that the turning radius would be smaller. Instead of taking the easy ruote and slapping on bigger/wider tires for better handling. Case in point second generation legend coupe only had 16" tires and handled pretty well.

yeah. i'll never buy a car because of its turn radius either!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
yeah. i'll never buy a car because of its turn radius either!
WHAT? Are you kidding? I sure hope so...this might be a bit of an over reaction. Sure the turning radius isnt that small but to not buy another Acura sedan ever again might be a bit of a stretch. Going to almost any other manufacturer is going to sacrifice quality and reliability...then we will see what really matters in a car and how unimportant turning radius is.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cibs
^^ I don't think that tire size would have that much impact on turning radius...
The tire size doesn't, necessarily, but the wheel size does. The larger the wheel diameter, the wider the turning radius. Don't ask me to explain the physics of it, but it is that way on every FWD double-wishbone suspension car I have ever owned.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fish008
WHAT? Are you kidding? I sure hope so...this might be a bit of an over reaction. Sure the turning radius isnt that small but to not buy another Acura sedan ever again might be a bit of a stretch. Going to almost any other manufacturer is going to sacrifice quality and reliability...then we will see what really matters in a car and how unimportant turning radius is.
by the red text...

in case you were not aware, red text denotes sarcasm
Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Cruisin'

should've thought about it when u test drove it...
Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The tire size doesn't, necessarily, but the wheel size does. The larger the wheel diameter, the wider the turning radius. Don't ask me to explain the physics of it, but it is that way on every FWD double-wishbone suspension car I have ever owned.

the double wishbone suspensin alone does not acount for th wide turing radius. It is a combination of engine, suspension, tires size etc....

Look at the 4cyl accord 36ft, v6 accord 39ft, tsx same 4 cyl (physically) but has bigger tire so the 39ft, 95-98 tl 34ft engine mounted logintudinally., 99-2003 tl 36ft.

like I said it is a combination of everything.

However I would love to get the Acura MDX, the turning radius is the same or better in most cases as all other suv. 37ft ?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fish008

No I am not kidding I hate wide turning radius vehicles. I had a 98 3.0 CL with 39ft, sold it and bought a 96 3.2 tl 34ft radius. Like I said the wide turning radius bothers me and it might not bother other people. So that is why I will never buy a Acura sedan again. I will probablt buy a 4cyl accord 36ft, would love the v6 but has 39ft radius, so nope.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by v62kaccord
should've thought about it when u test drove it...

true. When I test drove we never did a u-turn. From now I will do a u-turn when test driving vehicles and looking at the specs more closely especially the turning radius.