TSX on Winter Roads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb TSX on Winter Roads.

Hey Snow Guys and Gals.

Winter is approaching and I was wandering what the TSX handles like in the Snow and Ice. Here are a few questions.

1. How does the traction control work?
2. Does the VSA help on the snow and ice.

Looking forward to some good information....

Alan
Old 09-09-2006, 03:05 PM
k24
Banned

VSA works just fine. Itīs not too agressive and itīs not too passive either. It all comes down to how you want to drive. If you want to have fun (turns with handbrake, ice tracks, etc.) youīd have to switch it off. But if you want to drive safely and you donīt do any funny tricks, you are Very safe with the VSA. With other words- if you have good winter tires and you know how to drive, you can switch it off to have fun. But if the mentioned conditions are not fulfilled, you better keep it on.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:51 PM
TSX4EVR

I picked up my 06 TSX in December and although we had a remarkable winter, we did have a few days that tested the TSX. The VSA worked terrific and it was difficult to put the TSX in a spin.

I had real winter tires and it was only when I was in a real major snow storm that I had to be a little extra careful.

VSA + winter tires + smart winter driving = TSX great in winter

Excited
Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

ok. I just got my TSX 3 weeks ago and I really don't feel like putting winter tires on it(kind'a low on cash right now). I live in Canada so the winter will indeed be severe. I've never had winter-tires before. All my previous cars were driven on all-season tires during winter. Will I be regretting not having winter tires on my car? I never did before.

I don't do stupid things in snow. I have the 6MT which helps a lot during winter(much more control over the car).
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the oem tires will not cut it for fun driving in the snows, light snow you will be fine.

winter tires + snow = awesome and i will not trip the VSA unless i am pushing really hard, tested in the back roads of Vermont/NH winters.

ps, do a search - there's been 3 years worth of winter threads for the TSX
Old 09-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro

So the OEM tire will work just fine for light snow right? had anyone really experienced driving on snow+OEM tire here??? how was it?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Instructor

I went for about 2 weeks with the oem tires last winter before I opted for the snow tires. Toronto doesn't get that bad in the winter but the times it really comes down, I'm glad I have the snow tires.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

one thing u have to keep in mind though is that when your in thick snow and cant get out. you'll have to turn off the vsa to make your car skid to get out.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TsxDriver04
one thing u have to keep in mind though is that when your in thick snow and cant get out. you'll have to turn off the vsa to make your car skid to get out.
Yea, thick snow or deep snow ....I tend to agree otherwise you're going to hear alot of clunking as you rock the car.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PWPTSX
So the OEM tire will work just fine for light snow right? had anyone really experienced driving on snow+OEM tire here??? how was it?
Last year was fine for me in the light snow we had. This year might be different though, as the tread on the OEMs is getting low. Depending on how bad it gets this winter, I might get snow tires. I will see when the time comes. It would kind of suck to get snow tires, then have to shell out more for all seasons in the spring. Hopefully my OEMs will last a bit longer.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TsxDriver04

This is a good one.... I have never thought of that.... I live in Toronto and it was full of snow last winter but I still could manage to get my car off in thick snow.... I guess this is due to the winter tires that I used were fairly new
Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by IranBT
ok. I just got my TSX 3 weeks ago and I really don't feel like putting winter tires on it(kind'a low on cash right now). I live in Canada so the winter will indeed be severe. I've never had winter-tires before. All my previous cars were driven on all-season tires during winter. Will I be regretting not having winter tires on my car? I never did before.

I don't do stupid things in snow. I have the 6MT which helps a lot during winter(much more control over the car).

I will suggest you to put the winter tires on.... the stock tires is not that great in the snow expecially when the snow is thick... I had learnt about it in the hard way....
Old 09-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
advice....OEM + SNOW = Really bad, especially on uneven ground. Last year it snowed while i was out so driving back there was a downhill and an uphill...The snow was approx 2 inches thick. Downhill...almost lost control, skidded for about 3 cars lenghts, ended up using turn slide to stop. Mind you, i was going at most 5 mph.... didn't gas....just slid. Uphill was worst, i didn't know i had to turn vsa off, so trying to get up that hill with vsa on was killer. The car kept trying to compensate for the skid, in turn, i was strugging. a hill of about 2 city blocks on an approximate 25 degree incline, took me, at least 10-15 minutes to get up...Let me tell you, i'll never drive in snow unless i have winter tires.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Drifting

people that haven't used snow tires before won't be keen to try them out because they just don't understand the difference...

I bought snow tires once because my all seasons were worn out about 5 yrs ago... ever since then always winter tires for the winter... think about tires in general like this... it's the only damn part of your car that touches the road, that controls your car... if you have a limited amount of money i'd rather spend it on tires, than any other upgrade that will only help looks or a bit of performance... tires are a very important part of your car, and as such you should treat it like one...

That plus I was going east on the gardiner into downtown TO one day, in a heavy snow storm when a camaro infront of me spun out and into the guardrail in the fast lane.. nose to the rail, ass end sticking out into the fast lane... now if i had regular tires i would've smashed into him going a buck ten, but with my snow tires i was able to swirve around him, while the three cars behind me all piled into the camaro all doing well over a hundred k at the time...

so to make a long story short, you won't be sorry for spending some dough on winter tires... even the cheapest winter tire is better in the winter than any all - season..
Old 09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, think of it this way:

- With one set of tires, your tires will only last say 3 years (~75,000km), and those won't be "joyful" years, as the OEM tires are good at nothing but average at most things.

- With dedicated winter tires (on winter steel rims) and OEM's for the spring/summer/fall, you'll get a good 4+ years out of your winter tires (depending on mileage and conditions), plus 5-6 years out of your OEM's (again, depending on your conditions and mileage and driving style).

- With dedicated winters on dedicated steel rims, plus GOOD summer tires, you can sell your nearly-new OEM's for say $450-$500 CAD, but the winters with that (16" is just fine), and then come spring, buy some nice summer tires to HAVE FUN with. Since the OEM tires can't take fast or sharp corners without screaming in agony, and can't perform well in any category except "last a god damn long time because they're hockey pucks with holes in them", they're worth replacing if you enjoy driving your car in a spirited fashion.

Personally, I have winters on OEM Honda steelies (Michelin Acrtic Alpin... nice ice and snow tire), plus Toyo Proxes TPT for the other 3 seasons, as they're decent in all conditions and are quiet, plus have MUCH better grip than the OEM pos tires. The Toyo's came with the car when I bought it used from the dealer... otherwise I'd have opted for full ZR rated tires to have some serious fun.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Another question is will both wheels pull (positive track) or will only one spin....

Alan
Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Pro

Question! so if i wanna buy a set of winter tire, i would get the 16 inches?? and what kind of rims do you guys used with the winter tire??? total cost = ??
Old 09-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Drifting

^^ it depends on what size rim you have... the smallest rim you can go is 16 to clear the rotors... and then you get tires to fit those...

total cost depends on the quality of tire you want... i'd say anywhere from 500 - 800 bucks for decent winter tires on steelies... not the cheapest but not the most expensive either...
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Racer

Is there a benefit to steel wheels aside from the lower cost? Do you need to buy fugly hubcaps?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I've picked up 2 extra OEM Rims, and I'll be putting some Blizzak tires on those for the front this winter. I'm not fucking around with all seasons with the hills and such around Pittsburgh.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

i wouldn't mess around either, especially with hills/mountains.

i'd run a 16" rim with 205/60/16 winter tire set. save some money on the smaller size too...
Old 09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronin317
I've picked up 2 extra OEM Rims, and I'll be putting some Blizzak tires on those for the front this winter. I'm not fucking around with all seasons with the hills and such around Pittsburgh.
you're only running winter tires on the fronts? oem tires on the rears?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jswim99
Is there a benefit to steel wheels aside from the lower cost? Do you need to buy fugly hubcaps?
- let the salt eat away at your steelies, rather than your high-priced rims.
- easier to swap tires/rims, and maybe cheaper too, when spring/winter hits.

you can buy caps if you'd like. i don't think it's necessary (strictly cosmetic).
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Actually, after doing some reading, I think I may just go with a set of 16"steelies all around, as the 16" tires are half the friggin price of the 17" Blizzaks...plus, it looks like the Viking Snowtechs might be a better purchase. I could probably do all that for $500...not bad.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 PM

Definately do NOT run 2 winter tires at all. Run 4. If you MUST run 2, put them on the BACK. It's better to have understeer, than to oversteer (no traction in back w/ winters on front, OEM's on back). Oversteer = spnining on ice = Disney on ice but more expensive and more destructive.

Run 4, be safe.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Actually, after doing some reading, I think I may just go with a set of 16"steelies all around, as the 16" tires are half the friggin price of the 17" Blizzaks...plus, it looks like the Viking Snowtechs might be a better purchase. I could probably do all that for $500...not bad.

I have the Vikings and they performed very well for the low price tag, they were rated 2nd best snow tire from what I remember.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Drifting

^

where did you buy them, and how much OTD (balance, and installed)?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Canuck

First off..i guess people missed the other point of having a snow tire is that it has a lower operating temperature then all seasons. Winter tires stay soft in colder weather as oposed to all seasons which harden.

Any snow tire, even the cheapest ones are better then all seasons in the winter.

If you want cheap snow tires that rated really well, try the Snowtech Vikings (off brand of continental). I bought a set of 4 (16 inchers) for $400 CAD and a set of Motegi rims for $450.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by curls
Definately do NOT run 2 winter tires at all. Run 4. If you MUST run 2, put them on the BACK. It's better to have understeer, than to oversteer (no traction in back w/ winters on front, OEM's on back). Oversteer = spnining on ice = Disney on ice but more expensive and more destructive.

Run 4, be safe.
Curls is 100% correct. Some places won't even sell you 2 winter tires by themselves.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
^

where did you buy them, and how much OTD (balance, and installed)?

Got them from Wheel's Direct in Scarb last year (Markham & Sheppard) and they came up to $600 including steeles (installed/balance/tax) 16" . Get them early cause they will be packed for days when the first real snow fall hits.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I called the honda dealer here, the accord offset 16" steel wheels that fit the '06 TSX are $45 each...the tires (Viking) are going to run about $66 each in 16x6.5. Not bad, not bad. I'm going with all 4.

I was originally looking to go with only 2, as that's what my dad used to do back in the day on the Olds Delta 88 Royale Broughm, but that was rear wheel and, admittedly, old school as fuck.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Racer

I am a student currently living in a snow belt area of the US...

Although I am here for maybe for another year or so, would getting a set of ultra-high performance all season tires be a benefit over the OEMs? I am thinking of getting a set of the Toyo Proxes 4
Old 09-15-2006, 11:33 AM

but that was rear wheel and, admittedly, old school as fuck.
LOL I love the hoensty!

You'll be really happy with the Vikings on all 4 corners. And good choice getting the OEM Honda/Acura steelies. $45 USD sounds about right, and is a fair price for sure.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ishakir

Although I am here for maybe for another year or so, would getting a set of ultra-high performance all season tires be a benefit over the OEMs? I am thinking of getting a set of the Toyo Proxes 4
If you are looking to drive the car in ANY snow, I'd say the Proxes 4 would SUCK.

Get dedicated winter tires, and use the Proxes-4's for the other 3 seasons. or, stick w/ OEM tires all around.

The proxes-4 and other "Ultra high performance all-season" tires will suck in the snow. Theyre labelled All Season because they technically might pass the "M+S" rating, which is mainly based on tread design... not rubber compound formulation or ice-biting sipes, etc... and overall, the M+S rating is bullshit.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by Ishakir

Again, don't forget that winter tires have a lower operating temperature (hardening) then all season tires.

Think about this. Would you rather spend $600 on steelies and dediccated winter tires or pay a few hundred to thousands to repair an accident ot to get towed out of a ditch?

Also, sine you have deciated winter tirs to swap out, your all season/summer tires will last much longer.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by Othello
Got them from Wheel's Direct in Scarb last year (Markham & Sheppard) and they came up to $600 including steeles (installed/balance/tax) 16" . Get them early cause they will be packed for days when the first real snow fall hits.
Got a set of steelies and vikings from them too execpt the steelies did not fit my car. The steelies would not clear the caliper and made a pinging sound when driven. Lucky I didn't make it off the parking lot before I figured out where that pinging was coming from.

Also, if your going to use steelies, get some caps for the exposed hub so that the hub will not rust out.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
From the tire rack

Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1
(4) 205/60-16
$356.00

New Steel Wheel (Black Painted)
(4) 16X6.5
$184.00

Package Total: $540.00

Install Blizzak REVO 1 tires in sets of four only.

Are these tires any good?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by kostantinos
From the tire rack

Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1
(4) 205/60-16
$356.00

New Steel Wheel (Black Painted)
(4) 16X6.5
$184.00

Package Total: $540.00

Install Blizzak REVO 1 tires in sets of four only.

Are these tires any good?

Problem with Blizzaks is that they lose thier winter rating once the treadwear goes down to 50%. After the first 50% wears out, it's rated an all season tire.

The reason being that the first 50% of the tread is ultra soft and needs some harder compounds to support the softer compound.

Blizzaks will wear much faster then other snow tires.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
too bad
thats the only package deal they offer

anyone else know of a package deal around $500-600 shipped?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Bumping this back up...I've got my 16" Honda Steels...but I can't seem to find a tire that I like.

It's been fairly mild the past few winters, and I want performance more than ice traction (more wet/slush days than ice). I'm having a fuck of a time trying to find the Viking Snowtech's anywhere locally, and everyone I call that can order them tries to swing me to the Winterforce tires instead in that price range. There is one place online that has the vikings for $66 in 205/60/16, but then there's $40 worth of shipping and $14 per tire for hazard, then I'd have to get them mounted, balanced, and put on for another $65...I'm almost at $100 per...dammit.

Then there's the Michelin Pilot Alpin's and Nokian WR and Hakkas...and apparently the Cooper Glacier Grabber (from my usual garage...). There's too many damn choices and too much to consider...

Quick Reply: TSX on Winter Roads.