TSX vs TL vs Accord V6 vs IS250 vs A3

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
about::blank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Berkeley
Yep..the usual suspects! However, all must be automatic as this will be an NYC commuter car adn I haven't the patience to shift in gridlock...that said, I still want to be able to enjoy a spirited country drive from time to time.

I was nearly ready to go with an 06 TSX, but after test driving the auto I was not overly impressed by the lack of oomph
. That said, switching over to manumatic mode did yield some satisfaction although I defintely did not really know what the hell I was doing. Of course, this car really has everything at a price point $10-15k less than the other "luxury" brands with the same options. In New York the IS is coming in at $33k, TL $31k, A3 $29k, and the TSX at $27k. None except the TL are as loaded as the TSX and it seems impossible to find an A3 for the base $25k price. I somehow expect reliability to be a long term issue with the Audi.

Thus, I am most seriously consideirng the TL or the IS250 as competitors. But are they worth the extra $4k and $6k respectively? Any thoughts from the gallery? Or should I just save some $ and go with the Accord?

Can driving the TSX in manumatic mode be fun? Will I learn to use it properly? The standard auto mode somehow took me back to my K-car days...help?!?!
The TSX is a great looking car, essentially the TL with a 4 cylinder. That being said, I think the TL is a better car. The TSX was kind of fun to drive, and it loves to rev, but it just makes noise and doesn't go anywhere. I had one as a loaner while my CL-S was getting serviced and was impressed by the XM and handling, that's it.

Sure the Accord is a common car, but I would seriously consider the EX v6 over the TSX if I wanted quality and power in your price range. The coupe though, the saloon is bottom ugly.

The IS is a cool car, but I would get the 350 and wouldn't even consider the 250, unless I wanted the manual tranny. Go with the A3, fun as hell to drive, the 3.2 over the 2.0. That is if you didn't mind spending 30+.

What about a CTS or 300c?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Don't roll eyes to me, it's sad but true the American buying public does this!
But, you wouldn't know you're in Iceland.
of course I wouldnīt know cause I live in Iceland?

I know that the buying puplic does this! that doesnīt mean itīs not stupid.
people just look at the badge and think their buying gold and if you look at the price tag you might think that german cars were made of gold?

once it was exclusive and snobby owning a german car, they were status simbols cause they were well made and great pieces of engineering, but japanese manufacturers have long since surpassed the germans in almost every aspect of car building. today imo itīs just stupid buying a car that costs way more has less standard equippment and lacks reliability!

anyway of the cars mentioned I would most want to own the TL, choosing between the TSX and the IS would be harder? and I canīt understand why you would put an A3 audi in the same categorie isnīt that a car in class with civics and golfs?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Got-Busa?
. . . I would def go with a 07 BMW 3-series . .
I agree. Do NOT get a TSX. Having a TSX is just like having a mistress that can't wait to hop into bed and do immoral things. Who needs such temptations? I had two BMWs before Got-Busa was even born, and they were great cars, but they were more like wh ... ladies of the evening who couldn't wait to get paid (and was it ever expensive). A good time, but no long-term relationship. That's really good. Who needs the complications that come with such a commitment?
So now, I've got this TSX (with an automatic tranmission, for gosh sakes) and I can tell I'm stuck in this unhealthy relationship for several years -maybe decades. Worse yet, I find the other cars no longer interesting. I can't quit! She's bad for me, but I keep going back!! This car has me wrapped around her little finger! And she looks better every time I look at her. I shoulda bought a Fusion.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Washington
I agree. Do NOT get a TSX. . . . This car has me wrapped around her little finger! And she looks better every time I look at her. . .
she made me go 100 in a 75 zone today. Why won't she quit calling me, and leave me alone? Earlier today, I took her to 7000 - she said that's as fast as she could go - though she was purring like a kitten when we were at 7K, I don't believe her when she says that's it. I have to see if she's really ready for 130mph, or 135 (or more).
Stay away from this car - You've been warned.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
^ ^ Dude, it's okay to love your car; but maybe not to love your car.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Berkeley
Yep..the usual suspects! However, all must be automatic as this will be an NYC commuter car adn I haven't the patience to shift in gridlock...that said, I still want to be able to enjoy a spirited country drive from time to time.

I was nearly ready to go with an 06 TSX, but after test driving the auto I was not overly impressed by the lack of oomph. That said, switching over to manumatic mode did yield some satisfaction although I defintely did not really know what the hell I was doing. Of course, this car really has everything at a price point $10-15k less than the other "luxury" brands with the same options. In New York the IS is coming in at $33k, TL $31k, A3 $29k, and the TSX at $27k. None except the TL are as loaded as the TSX and it seems impossible to find an A3 for the base $25k price. I somehow expect reliability to be a long term issue with the Audi.

Thus, I am most seriously consideirng the TL or the IS250 as competitors. But are they worth the extra $4k and $6k respectively? Any thoughts from the gallery? Or should I just save some $ and go with the Accord?

Can driving the TSX in manumatic mode be fun? Will I learn to use it properly? The standard auto mode somehow took me back to my K-car days...help?!?!
If an auto's a must, I personally wouldn't trust a Honda V6/auto combo.
I know 2 people who had to get their's replaced (CL and Accord).
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
None of the above, get a G35c or sedan u'll beat all of those cars above easily
Yup
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Speed Freak!

Originally Posted by h1coupe
it just says there that it has abs, traction control, service computer/trip computer, rain sensor and some small crap all which can be found on the TSX, itīs just put down in so many words

BMWīs have not been known for their standard equipment, german cars are always more expensive and less equipped then their rivals. and I for one have never understood why you would want a car that costs much more is less reliable and worse equipped, just because itīs german?
Are you kidding, please re-read and go learn something about the car. With the exception of a few of the computer features, the TSX has NONE of those standard features.

Since you guys are talking about the market, it brings up a good discussion on "standard equipment." You have to realize that the TSX is built for the US market. The BMW is built for the WORLD market and have everything optioned for a reason. Lots of people don't want or like some of that stuff. BMW is targeting a bigger group of people and not just a small nitch like the TSX.

So what you are saying is if you could get a fully loaded 325i for $29k you wouldn't be driving a TSX!?!!?!

Where are you getting your reliablity info? I assume you are talking about the entire BMW line up NOT just the 3-series. In that aspect I would agree because the 7-series has problems as with a few other models but it isn't any different than the RL. The 3-series is in a different league and has a lot better history than you think or know....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Speed Freak!

Originally Posted by psteng19
If an auto's a must, I personally wouldn't trust a Honda V6/auto combo.
I know 2 people who had to get their's replaced (CL and Accord).
You want to bring up quality, I am on my second transmission in my TL and my coworker is on his third....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Is turning into a snobbish elitetist prick part of the BMW buying experience? :gheylaugh: Cause if it is, I'll stick with my TSX.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Is turning into a snobbish elitetist prick part of the BMW buying experience? :gheylaugh: Cause if it is, I'll stick with my TSX.
It's in the manual. It explains how to act when you see non-BMW drivers.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL, turn signals must be an option that nobody gets on the BMW.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
LOL, turn signals must be an option that nobody gets on the BMW.
LOL.

The only BMW where pricks are on the outside.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
LOL.

The only BMW where pricks are on the outside.

Are those forks?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Are those forks?
yes, it looks like. Gives new meaning to "stick a fork in it".
Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Racer

Are you kidding, please re-read and go learn something about the car. With the exception of a few of the computer features, the TSX has NONE of those standard features.

Since you guys are talking about the market, it brings up a good discussion on "standard equipment." You have to realize that the TSX is built for the US market. The BMW is built for the WORLD market and have everything optioned for a reason. Lots of people don't want or like some of that stuff. BMW is targeting a bigger group of people and not just a small nitch like the TSX.

So what you are saying is if you could get a fully loaded 325i for $29k you wouldn't be driving a TSX!?!!?!

Where are you getting your reliablity info? I assume you are talking about the entire BMW line up NOT just the 3-series. In that aspect I would agree because the 7-series has problems as with a few other models but it isn't any different than the RL. The 3-series is in a different league and has a lot better history than you think or know....
oh wow maybe the features on the TSX arenīt exactly the ones on the beemer but then the TSX has something else the beemer doesnīt have. all in all the TSX is fully loaded(except maybe for navi or something like that) and the beemer isnīt thatīs a fact. still bmwīs cost way more!

I have nothing against bmw. there are beemers I would love to own like the M cars and the high end 5 and 7īs. But if I were to go out and buy a new car and I could afford one of those I would always end up buying a Honda/Acura, a similar car that costs less and then I would use the money I had left over and Iīd buy a CBR1000RR or something on those lines.
the bmw offers nothing that the Tsx doesnīt have but still costs more.

and the reliability thing is a fact and if you donīt know that the honda/acura has much better reliability then the BMW(all lines) and all german cars for that matter then you should maybe go and read up on it sometimes when you get a chance
Old 04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Racer

and just so you know if I could get any of those cars for 29$ I would jump on it!
were not as lucky as you guys. the cheapest 3series 318i over here costs around 43$ and the top of the line accord/tsx costs around 43$ also.

so I ask who in their right mind chooses a measly 318i which doesnīt even have an engine as an option, over the 2.4l executive accord which comes fully loaded?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Speed Freak!

so your telling me that itīs classy and shows your status if you pick the lesser of two choises

itīs just a fact that in this day and age there is no way to justify the price difference in german cars vs other!
german cars used to be this and that but now adays their just overhyped badges!!
Of course, you have that with any brand. Regardless of the quality, you have people that will ONLY buy Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, etc... but that has nothing to do with what you guys are trying to turn this into. Status symbol....

Maybe a Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bugatti, etc....but a BMW...

If you guys can't see the justification in price for options and safety features, you never will. Have fun with the TSX if that is what makes you happy.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Speed Freak!

the bmw offers nothing that the Tsx doesnīt have but still costs more.

and the reliability thing is a fact and if you donīt know that the honda/acura has much better reliability then the BMW(all lines) and all german cars for that matter then you should maybe go and read up on it sometimes when you get a chance
You're right, the BMW offers way more and that is generally why the reliabilty shows better on paper because a Honda has far fewer things to go wrong than a BMW.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Speed Freak!

Originally Posted by dom
Poor baby, not getting any love from a BMW driver. Hold on, let me get you a tissue. It will all be okay.... :gheylaugh:
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

So I guess your off to a BMW forum then?

EDIT: Not that you'll have a choice if you keep this up. :gheylaugh:
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Speed Freak!

Berkeley,

Another car you might want to look into is a Subaru Legacy GT. Plenty more power and in the same price range as the TSX/TL. Plus it has AWD so it will be a bonus in the winter...
Old 04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Poor baby, not getting any love from a BMW driver. Hold on, let me get you a tissue. It will all be okay.... :gheylaugh:

So seriously, after signing the paperwork, do they bring you to a room and explain how to become a prick? I mean obviously some people don't need this specialized training (i.e you) but I'd imagine not everyone who buys a BMW is a pompeous ass prior to taking delivery.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to find out for myself.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Speed Freak!

What are you talking about?

No one was being a prick until you come in here with the snobbish elitest prick.....CRAP remark. Who's being the pompeous ass now? Pot calling the kettle black.....

He asked if any of the other brands were worth the extra money and I pointed out the benefits. If you are going to get all mad about it, that is not my problem. Sounds like a case of the short man syndrome....
Old 04-06-2006, 12:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

No one was being a prick until you come in here with the snobbish elitest prick.....CRAP remark.
What made you think I was talking about you. Maybe it was just a general statement. Well it wasn't. Your "BMW has this and that and nothing can compare option wise" attitude annoys me.

Who's being the pompeous ass now? Pot calling the kettle black.....
How am I being pompeous? I feel that BMW owners are for the most part jerks. Just my opinion. (Though that somehow seems factual)

He asked if any of the other brands were worth the extra money and I pointed out the benefits. If you are going to get all mad about it, that is not my problem. Sounds like a case of the short man syndrome....
I've stated many times on this board that I'd be interested in a new 3 series, no hiding that. But fact remains I'm spending my money far more wisely.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Speed Freak!

Why are you bothered that another car has more options than yours? That is not our problem but.... "YOURS!"

You have taken a survey from every BMW owner and can prove that they are jerks, okay. Didn't realize your goal in life was to be accepted by BMW owners...

Spend your money how you want if you think it is wise, that is all that matters.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Why are you bothered that another car has more options than yours? That is not our problem but.... "YOURS!"
I'm not denying that is has more options. Of course it does, it costs several thousands more. Its you attitude about it that bothers me.

You have taken a survey from every BMW owner and can prove that they are jerks, okay. Didn't realize your goal in life was to be accepted by BMW owners...
Where did it say I surveyed anyone. I said it was my opinion. Although it seems mant people have that same opinion for some reason or another.
Although I admit it mu life's goal to know why BMW owners turn into arrogant pricks upon purchasing one. (IMO of course )

Spend your money how you want if you think it is wise, that is all that matters.
Exactly. I never said you made the wrong purchase. Just don't try and force the BMW propoganda about how all those options are worth the extra coin down everyone's throat. A large part of that extra $$$ is for the badge on the hood.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Racer

You're right, the BMW offers way more and that is generally why the reliabilty shows better on paper because a Honda has far fewer things to go wrong than a BMW.
I see your one of those guys

you think that when the people who do surveys on reliability, compare the cheapest car with no options from one manufacturer to a fully loaded car from another company?

I think you have to take a real good look inside now and think this thing through!

I have seen this from alot of BMW owners/enthusiasts, they always seem to think that the bmw comes poorly out of reliability surveys because they have so many standard features and there is so much in them that can go wrong, but cars like Honda( who mind you are almost always better equipped then a comparable bmw) have better reliability because there is nothing in them that can go wrong?

You seem to think that the people who do those surveys are complete morons that havenīt got a clue and know nothing about their profession.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Are you sure own a BMW? I dun know ne E46, E36, E30 owner that think their BMW is ne close to 10% as reliable as a Honda! Do you want to know how many of E46 owner in Toronto already running on the second tranny(including mine)? I am afraid it is more than the total bad tanny of all the Honda for the past 30 yr. Oh! did I mention every E46 that I know are already have their water pump, control arm, vanos, window regulator replaced! And also even all the M3 owners agreed that Honda has a way more smooth MT than BMW.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

BTW - ianS is most definently the exception to the "BMW prick" rule.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Cruisin'

Just get a Lexus:

More features than BMW
Lower price
Better reliability
Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM
ABP TSX

I would need to see real color pictures of each BMW to make an informed decision acutally. Plus someone direct me to the most friendly BMW board so I can about everything.

Busa takes the for one of the 'est in recent memory.

:whocares:

Last time I checked this was still an Acura enthusiast board. Go over to Car Talk and spew about BMW.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
BTW - ianS is most definently the exception to the "BMW prick" rule.
Hey, I still really love the look of my BMW with the beautiful BBS. Well, actually I love the BBS more than the BMW, so think I am a "BBS prick"
Old 04-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Speed Freak!

Man you guys get your panties in a bundle so easy.

You can really tell my attitude via a post on an internet forum... I thought mods were suppose to put fires out not dump gasoline on them.. j/k

Lexus is where it's at!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 PM
ABP TSX

Lexus is where it's at!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Speed Freak!

Originally Posted by gsclifton
Last time I checked this was still an Acura enthusiast board. Go over to Car Talk and spew about BMW.
Last I checked this THREAD was about comparing OTHER cars to the TSX. Go over to car talk and spew BS in another thread...
Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Speed Freak!

Originally Posted by ianS
Are you sure own a BMW? I dun know ne E46, E36, E30 owner that think their BMW is ne close to 10% as reliable as a Honda! Do you want to know how many of E46 owner in Toronto already running on the second tranny(including mine)? I am afraid it is more than the total bad tanny of all the Honda for the past 30 yr. Oh! did I mention every E46 that I know are already have their water pump, control arm, vanos, window regulator replaced! And also even all the M3 owners agreed that Honda has a way more smooth MT than BMW.
I haven't had any problems with a BMW tranny, I HAVE however had problems with my ACURA TL tranny. As previously mention I'm on my 2nd and coworker is on his 3rd...

I haven't had any of the other problems you have mentioned. Maybe you got a LEMON...

All the M3 owners agree huh.....show me an M3 owner that agrees that a Honda has a smoother MT than BMW. Now you are just typing crap....
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I haven't had any problems with a BMW tranny, I HAVE however had problems with my ACURA TL tranny. As previously mention I'm on my 2nd and coworker is on his 3rd...

I haven't had any of the other problems you have mentioned. Maybe you got a LEMON...

All the M3 owners agree huh.....show me an M3 owner that agrees that a Honda has a smoother MT than BMW. Now you are just typing crap....
Is this your first BMW? What options did you get on it? Final cost?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Speed Freak!

I currently don't have a BMW. We looked at the TSX for my wife but she has decided that she likes the 325i a lot better. We are holding off for now to see what the 07 model brings (and never buy a first year car regardless of make). Fingers crossed for the rumored 328i which should have increased HP to around 235 and maybe more color options. With everything I would like on it, it should be around $36k.

We are still shopping though until then. I like the Legacy GT more and more but can't decide..... If they will put the RDX Turbo motor in the TSX next year maybe we will be back looking at them again. Until then still looking....
Old 04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Racer

if Iīm not mistaken the s2000 always getīs praises on having about the slickest tranny of all sportscars. and I am certain that the NSX as well as the S2000 both have smoother trannys then any BMW.

Honda is the biggest engine manufacturer in the world and if Iīm not mistaken they are now the 3rd biggest car manufacturer in the world, that to me tells me that they know what the hell their doing.

Quick Reply: TSX vs TL vs Accord V6 vs IS250 vs A3