TSX vs Mazdaspeed 6 Turbo AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HoRRo
Edit: Forgot to note that my bro said the Mazdaspeed6 is a beast, fun to "drive", but he said he wouldn't own one.
Any insight into why not? Is it a perceived reliability issue? Difficult to work on? Poor resale? Poor handling or some other deficiency in driving experience?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:13 AM
iVTEC no koe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Any insight into why not? Is it a perceived reliability issue? Difficult to work on? Poor resale? Poor handling or some other deficiency in driving experience?
Probably just perceived reliability issue. In all honesty, if a company's employees don't have faith in their own cars, do they expect customers to? Maybe I just pay more attention to it, but most Honda/Acura dealerships that I goto, their mechanics and service reps usually drive Honda/Acura vehicles. Even at my bro's Mazda, there's at least 6 Honda/Acuras from the Service dept.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Advanced

I suppose the comparison is valid…when I first mentioned to my brother (who owns a WRX STI) that I was considering a TSX the first thing he did was email me the specs and info. on the Mazdaspeed 6 The Mazdaspeed is an impressive car, it brought back memories of the ltd. edition 323 GTX they did in the late 80’s…awd…turbo..and back then we got excited about 132 hp !

From my perspective I bought the TSX for what it is; refined; well engineered, efficient, and amazingly fun to drive, especially on a nice stretch of hi-way. There really is something to be said for a 7,000 rpm power band and six gears to play with. From that aspect, the TSX actually reminds me more of the Miata with the same attributes that made it such an enjoyable car to own and drive, only in the case of the TSX with 200 hp and a lean luxury sedan wrapped around a capable, stiff chassis.

There is a varied assortment of turbocharged 4 or heavy 6/8 cylinder sedans on the market that cater to the more torque/more load, go big or go home crowd of which the Mazdaspeed is yet another offering. Yet there are very few cars that take the precision approach that Acura applies in the execution of the TSX. In this respect I find the TSX to be very unique offering in this segment. Also the reason why I bought one after looking at pretty much everything else on the market. Just my .02
Old 11-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont like the rims on the speed 6. Also, the AWD is not full time? Why make it AWD if its not full time?

I also dont like the exterior of the Mazda 6...and the mazda speed 6 makes it look worse! Very dated and trying to hard to be cool look.

I have 2 buddies with RX7 and 1 with RX8. The one with the RX8 is trading in for STi.
BTW the FD's are insane!!! I cant believe how much you get pushed back in your seat.

Only mazda I like now is the Mazda 3 and the old miata. Current has those nasty RX8 style Fender FLARES! Nasty!
Old 11-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I think comparing the Mazda with the TSX is valid. A lot of people looking for a 4dr sports sedan will consider them both. The Mazda is much, much quicker than the TSX and the TSX is a more refined, higher-marque, and better-built car. Personally, I would have a hard time paying $30,000 for a mid-size Mazda, just as I'd have a hard time paying $34,000 for a boxy Mitsubishi Evo or the scoop-and-wing crazy Subaru. But I wouldn't race one either, those things are monsters.

Acura is selling the TSX to people who don't want to drive monsters. It isn't just about horsepower, after all. But it's fair to say that the Mazda steps firmly into the TSX's arena with a 70 hp and 100 lbs-ft advantage -- that's got to have the Acura engineers and marketing guys thinking.

the mazdaspeed 6 and tsx are just barely comparable though. they are on opposite ends of the spectrum for 30kish cars. that said, i could see a lot of people comparing them, but i tend to think of the acura as the type of car someone who sees traffic a lot and wants more luxury etc.

the mazda would be nice if you lived somewhere with some nice curvy backroads and no traffic. i live in LA and for me i am pretty sure the mazda would be a worst choice.

as for the rx8 and the 6. someone said the 6 would beat it in a sprint and i'm sure it would. but as they said on top gear, its an easy car to drive fast (the rx8 that is) and that is is superbly balanced car. that is what my one coworker who has one says about it. it has great balance and is light and easy to toss around. its like what 600 or 700 pounds less weight than a mazda 6.

if the tsx weighed as much as the rx8, wow, seriously i wish it did, that would be awesome. (rx8 is 2950 pounds MT btw). that said though, you sacrifice gas milage, oil burning and probably some reliability and a ton of torque to get that weight savings with the rotary.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by amadeus303
I came from a Mazda 6s V6 5MT, and it was a great car. The handling in stock form was *noticeably* better than my TSX in stock form, ESPECIALLY the brakes. The manual tranny was very smooth (although it's no Honda). Acceleration was slow even with the V6, but it's expected from a heavy sedan.
I disagree, I drove the 6 many times at last year's Mazda Rev-It-Up (AT) and absolutely hated it. Felt heavy and the steering didn't do anything for me. The 3, RX8 and miata were fun, but not the 6 IMO. I'm sure this Mazdaspeed one is light years different though
Old 11-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Ugly...Not original. Mazda=Ford...hell no...

Wasn't Mazda the company that overstated their HP on the RX8?
Old 11-05-2005, 09:59 PM
TSX4EVR

I considered the MazdaSpeed 6 and the Miata. I don't dislike Mazda as some do. I chose not to get them because I wanted a more reliable, prestigous, more luxurious, tighter sportscar. I was going to get an Acura or a Lexus.

I love Miatas but have to wait until someday that I can afford having a third car. It is not very practical. (and doesn't pretend to be) The Speed6 has a lot of power and features but I wanted a luxury sports car not a speedster.

I think Mazda will do well with both of these models. My choice is obviously still the TSX. Especially once it gets here.

Excited
Old 11-05-2005, 10:09 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by xizor
I disagree, I drove the 6 many times at last year's Mazda Rev-It-Up (AT) and absolutely hated it. Felt heavy and the steering didn't do anything for me. The 3, RX8 and miata were fun, but not the 6 IMO. I'm sure this Mazdaspeed one is light years different though
I don't know Xiz... I had my 6 for nearly 2 years, and on my initial test drive of the 2005 TSX before I finally decided to "upgrade", I was alarmed at how competent I felt my 6 was to the TSX around corners. At worst, I considered them on the same level, although the turning radius on the 6 was a PITB. My father has a 2004 TSX, and the interior fit and finish is really what gave me the idea of trading my 6 in because I was looking for a little bit more "lux". The biggest difference between the 2 cars IMO was on the brakes. The 6 wins that war hands down - it's not even a competition. I still don't know how Acura didn't give the TSX a better kit... I know it's not due to the stock rubber because my 6 had the same 215-50-17 Michelin MXM4's as stock.

With that said, my favorite (current) Mazda is still the Miata. I could never own one unless it was a 2nd car, but that little bugger is fun...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:12 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
Also, the AWD is not full time? Why make it AWD if its not full time?
I think the AWD in the MS6 is similar to the system used in the Evo, which is not full-time AWD either...
Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HoRRo
My bro is a service advisor at a Mazda dealership, 3's are selling really well, but have some brake issues. One particular 3 hit an obstruction against the bottom of the engine, causing the only 2 engine mounts to drop the engine. Mazdaspeed Protege has some turbo issues. RX-8, as most ppl know drinks gas and burns oil like no other. Furthermore, the gas tank is plastic and current owners need to come in so a heatshield is installed. Never knew it was even safe to use plastic for a gas tank. No stories on the other models, afaik.

Edit: Forgot to note that my bro said the Mazdaspeed6 is a beast, fun to "drive", but he said he wouldn't own one.
did he say why?

if he was in the market for an awd turbo4, you'd say he would buy the sti instead (since we don't get the evo)?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

Mazda dealer just told me it will be late December before a Mazaspeed6 is available (Colorado).
Old 11-06-2005, 07:29 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by xizor
I drove the Mazda 6 MT (the '05) again recently and I hated it again. It seemed sluggish, heavy, and had a generally cheap feel to the interior. The engine (the V6) seemed overly busy and harsh. I stepped out of it and back into my TSX, and thought to myself, "Now THAT'S an interior." I drove away thinking, "Now THAT'S a buttery-smooth engine and transmission." The new 'speed6 is obviously much more powerful and faster, and they're throwing lots of options at it (fully loaded I'm guessing you've got a $33,000 mid-size Mazda). But I'd never be able to get over that interior and those Mazda badges (call me vain).

For a lot of people, though, the go-fast will be the clincher. I wouldn't want to race one and then, catching up with him at the next light, show him my interior. But, for about the difference in price, I can put a blower on mine (eventually . . .) and then we'll talk. Or not, and keep the money. That's what I love about the TSX.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Cruisin'

the car that i liked the most from mazda was the rx-7 damn that shit was crazy
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To each his own concerning the Mazda6 v6 motor but it feels fine to most 90% of the time, the 10% that I dont like is the low torque.

Its revs like a 4 cyl and has a v6 growl and the tranny mtx shifts very good.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by polytsx
From my perspective I bought the TSX for what it is; refined; well engineered, efficient, and amazingly fun to drive, especially on a nice stretch of hi-way. There really is something to be said for a 7,000 rpm power band and six gears to play with. From that aspect, the TSX actually reminds me more of the Miata with the same attributes that made it such an enjoyable car to own and drive, only in the case of the TSX with 200 hp and a lean luxury sedan wrapped around a capable, stiff chassis.

There is a varied assortment of turbocharged 4 or heavy 6/8 cylinder sedans on the market that cater to the more torque/more load, go big or go home crowd of which the Mazdaspeed is yet another offering. Yet there are very few cars that take the precision approach that Acura applies in the execution of the TSX. In this respect I find the TSX to be very unique offering in this segment. Also the reason why I bought one after looking at pretty much everything else on the market. Just my .02
These last two paragraphs do a great job of summing up the TSX and its place in the marketplace.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I drove the Mazda 6 MT (the '05) again recently and I hated it again. It seemed sluggish, heavy, and had a generally cheap feel to the interior. The engine (the V6) seemed overly busy and harsh. I stepped out of it and back into my TSX, and thought to myself, "Now THAT'S an interior." I drove away thinking, "Now THAT'S a buttery-smooth engine and transmission." The new 'speed6 is obviously much more powerful and faster, and they're throwing lots of options at it (fully loaded I'm guessing you've got a $33,000 mid-size Mazda). But I'd never be able to get over that interior and those Mazda badges (call me vain).

For a lot of people, though, the go-fast will be the clincher. I wouldn't want to race one and then, catching up with him at the next light, show him my interior. But, for about the difference in price, I can put a blower on mine (eventually . . .) and then we'll talk. Or not, and keep the money. That's what I love about the TSX.

I think the approaches between the two companies are different. Acura/Honda approaching it from the luxury aspect with a dash of sportiness, while Mazda approached it from the performance/sportiness aspect with a dash of luxury.

From my driving the two cars (my friend has a 2004 V6 6s), I'd have to give the performance aspect to the 6, especially the brakes. The interior seems to be geared that way too. The TSX luxuries however are untouchable (love the supple leather!) and also more quiet. I'm guessing reliability in the TSX would be better too (although I've had some brake problems of my own...) My friend doesn't like me comparing my TSX to his 6s because he thinks that his car actually competes more with an Accord or a Camry. In some respects, he's correct. I am comparing a more upscale name Acura nameplate to his Mazda, but who said life was fair? Yeah, you can call me vain too!

I'd just wish they'd put a V6 in the TSX instead of the 4 (but that would cut into the TL sales?) to have a little more power. Maybe that would compete better with the Mazdaspeed 6, which I'm sure will have great performance. I'm pretty sure the TL can take on the Mazdaspeed 6 though. Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Yui
Pro

Would the turbocharger from the Mazda 6 be transplantable to the TSX? They're using 2.3L inline DOHC in the 6 after all...
Old 11-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yui
Would the turbocharger from the Mazda 6 be transplantable to the TSX? They're using 2.3L inline DOHC in the 6 after all...
They are not even the same car or engine.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxwins

I'd just wish they'd put a V6 in the TSX instead of the 4 (but that would cut into the TL sales?)

I hate this argument. I know its not the thread for it but...

do 330 sales cut into 530 sales?
do 550 sales cut into 750 sales?
do IS350 sales cut into GS sales?
do G35 sales cut into M35 sales?
so A4 3.2 sales cut into A6 sales?

and the list goes on. Everyone BUT Honda offers engines options it seems.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by LalchandYamlajat
They are not even the same car or engine.
Yeah, but I'm reasoning that the engines may be similar enough that you could take the turbocharger and set it up on the TSX. Why hasn't this been done already for the TSX anyhow? Is it the already very high stock compression ratios?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dom
I hate this argument. I know its not the thread for it but...

do 330 sales cut into 530 sales?
do 550 sales cut into 750 sales?
do IS350 sales cut into GS sales?
do G35 sales cut into M35 sales?
so A4 3.2 sales cut into A6 sales?

and the list goes on. Everyone BUT Honda offers engines options it seems.

I think Dom asks a valid question. From my point of view, and I know I am sounding like a broken record; I bought the TSX for what it is, NOT what it is isn’t. I have no desire to own a thirsty, hi horsepower, six cylinder TSX. I like the hi-revving, well engineered, economical free nature of the TSX exactly the way that it is.

Aside from the TL, if you get into the six cylinder game suddenly you have the 3 series BMW’s, The IS Lexus, The Mazdaspeed, the G35’s, The Maxima SE, the Altima SE-R, The Jetta GLX and Passat and the list continues.

I will maintain that the TSX is in a class almost all to its own – only the Volvo S80 and Audi A4 really seriously compare. About the only thing I would support for the TSX is all wheel drive and possibly a sportwagon version. But that is just me…..
Old 11-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yui
Yeah, but I'm reasoning that the engines may be similar enough that you could take the turbocharger and set it up on the TSX. Why hasn't this been done already for the TSX anyhow? Is it the already very high stock compression ratios?
There is no engine mag. system for the TSX, thats why no has done it. Some people have, tho.

Plus, you cant use the Mazda turbo is because you need a different manifold.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
3rd Gear

Mazdaspeed 6 DRIVEN (by me)

See the review I did on the Edmunds Inside Line site - TSX and Mazdaspeed 6 are two very different cars - I have a TSX, could easily get a Mazdaspeed 6 - but I'm not - still the Mazdaspeed 6 is one of the top 3 fun-to-drives I've ever driven (and I've driven almost all the $25K-$50K scoots out there lately)...

Being a current Acura TSX owner, previous TL-S owner (but former Mazda Millenia owner and still a Mazda fan) I felt an obligation to get one of the first shots at the Mazdaspeed 6, which I did today 11/25 (local Mazdaspeed-authorized dealer got two in on 11/22)...POSITIVES - Awesome power in gears 1-5 and an almost Honda/Acura precision to the 6-speed (throws could be shorter, however)...Good fun was had with the Bridgestone summer tires on the snow covered roads of Western NY (although I drove it on just wet roads as well during the 15 mile test)...AWD system had excellent response and brought the rear end in nicely...DSC was good too - not overly intrusive...A firm ride but decent (seemed harsh when I got back in the TSX but the these are different cars for somewhat different purposes)...I'm anxiously awaiting Acura to give the SH-AWD treatment to the TL (or TSX) but the Mazdaspeed 6 could change that. Still need to compare to a Subie GT which brings me to the NEGATIVES...Interior is far better than a "upscale" regular Mazda 6 but not to the level of Acura, Honda, Toyota or Subaru...Kind of lacking the feel for a $30K+ car...Overall, however, a true Evo or WRX STI for grown ups
Old 12-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by klossfam
See the review I did on the Edmunds Inside Line site - TSX and Mazdaspeed 6 are two very different cars - I have a TSX, could easily get a Mazdaspeed 6 - but I'm not - still the Mazdaspeed 6 is one of the top 3 fun-to-drives I've ever driven (and I've driven almost all the $25K-$50K scoots out there lately)...

Being a current Acura TSX owner, previous TL-S owner (but former Mazda Millenia owner and still a Mazda fan) I felt an obligation to get one of the first shots at the Mazdaspeed 6, which I did today 11/25 (local Mazdaspeed-authorized dealer got two in on 11/22)...POSITIVES - Awesome power in gears 1-5 and an almost Honda/Acura precision to the 6-speed (throws could be shorter, however)...Good fun was had with the Bridgestone summer tires on the snow covered roads of Western NY (although I drove it on just wet roads as well during the 15 mile test)...AWD system had excellent response and brought the rear end in nicely...DSC was good too - not overly intrusive...A firm ride but decent (seemed harsh when I got back in the TSX but the these are different cars for somewhat different purposes)...I'm anxiously awaiting Acura to give the SH-AWD treatment to the TL (or TSX) but the Mazdaspeed 6 could change that. Still need to compare to a Subie GT which brings me to the NEGATIVES...Interior is far better than a "upscale" regular Mazda 6 but not to the level of Acura, Honda, Toyota or Subaru...Kind of lacking the feel for a $30K+ car...Overall, however, a true Evo or WRX STI for grown ups

You write for edmunds?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I went to test drive the first of the Mazdaspeed6's to show up here in the DC area.

Positives
-interior is a solid improvement over the standard 6
-power definitely feels present
-manual transmission is excellent
-ride is excellent (very similar to the TSX's)
-noise isolation is pretty good, though not quite as quiet as the TSX

Negatives
-exhaust sound could be more aggressive
-steering wheel is not great
-reliability still an unknown
-clutch engagement point not very evident

Overall, my impression was a good one. Unfortunately, the Mazda dealer tried to screw me. I highly doubt that Mazda would have more stringent credit requirements than Acura.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

wow...this is hot .......looks great
Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I went to test drive the first of the Mazdaspeed6's to show up here in the DC area.

Positives
-interior is a solid improvement over the standard 6
-power definitely feels present
-manual transmission is excellent
-ride is excellent (very similar to the TSX's)
-noise isolation is pretty good, though not quite as quiet as the TSX

Negatives
-exhaust sound could be more aggressive
-steering wheel is not great
-reliability still an unknown
-clutch engagement point not very evident

Overall, my impression was a good one. Unfortunately, the Mazda dealer tried to screw me. I highly doubt that Mazda would have more stringent credit requirements than Acura.
I agree with your positives, though the gearbox felt a bit notchy at times. Not as silky as the TSX.

Again, I mostly agree with your negatives... but clutch engagement was not very evident? To me, it's engagement was quite evident. It was also a VERY VERY short travel and like it was over-sprung. It was almost like I had to fight it when initially releasing the clutch. After a couple cms of travel, it lightened up noticeably. (Think door position stops where the door just stays open... but opposite. It always wanted to jump off the floor. I hope that's clear to somebody... ) Total clutch travel was probably only 5-10 cms, and engagement point almost instant... barely off the floor.

Overall, though, it was a fun ride. All that power comes fast.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

I miss my 323GTX

[QUOTE=polytsx]I suppose the comparison is valid…when I first mentioned to my brother (who owns a WRX STI) that I was considering a TSX the first thing he did was email me the specs and info. on the Mazdaspeed 6 The Mazdaspeed is an impressive car, it brought back memories of the ltd. edition 323 GTX they did in the late 80’s…awd…turbo..and back then we got excited about 132 hp !

I looked at a demo RX-8 before buying the my 05TSX. The steering was unbelievably quick. I was swayed by fold down seats and a lot better gas mileage.
I had an '88 323GTX years ago with suspension and boost mods. It scared the hell out of my passengers and drifted beautifully in the snow. If the Mazdaspeed 6 is buit as smart as the GTX( oil cooler and oil jets on bottom of the pistons etc...) it would worth looking at but it doesn't seem to have the solid grown up feel of the TSX.
I drove the Scooby GT at the parking lot day thing. It's fast, the interior is not in the same league ( and someone toasted the 5sp so I tried the AT and was not impressed. ( and the seats don't fold down in the sedan )
(if I could afford two 34000CDN cars....)
Dmon
Old 01-20-2006, 09:45 AM
6th Gear

Im sure that when it comes down to it, the mazda drives just as got, probably even better than the tsx. And i'll admit it looks hot too. But lets be honest, there is something to be said for owning an accura. Im sure that not everyone would agree with me, but I know that at the end of the day (when I'm done busting my ass to pay for either of these two cars) I would feel better about having an Acura in my driveway than a Mazda.
You are going to pay more money for the Mazda, and you are going to get a lot of car. But what you wont get is that feeling of prestige that comes with the TSX. I know I sound conceded, but that is the straight up truth of it.
And last, but not least, women are going to be MUCH more impressed when you pick them up in the Acura rather than a Mazda. More times than not (and I am very aware that there are exceptions) they have no idea whats under the hood--all they see is the Acura emblem and not the emblem that their mother has on the front of her minivan.
Hey, thats all Im saying...
Old 01-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I don't know about you guys/gals, but I'm sick and tired of all the threads that start with
TSX vs. .........

Next thing you know it will TSX vs. Kia Rio...........

Mazda's are crap other than the Rx-8.
Hmm, I'd say that of all the Mazdas, RX-8 is the BIGGEST piece of crap. To consider that car as a worthy successor to the RX-7 is just blasphemous.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Hi all,

I might get flamed for this, but I just traded my '04 TSX AT for a loaded '06 MazdaSpeed6/NAV. I was very close to trading for an '06 TSX 6MT/NAV. In fact, I was on my way to the Acura dealer, but stopped off at the Mazda dealer on my way. I totally agree that the TSX interior and dash is much more refined and has nice luxo features like dual climate, memory seats, bluetooth, etc., I found that the Speed6's interior is pretty classy. Sure, the MS6 has obvious cost-cutting measures, such as seat track ends that aren't covered with plastic trim, visor screwheads that are visible, flimsy trunk trim, and crappy floormats.

However, the Speed6 is just so much more powerful than the TSX, and I felt that the (small) compromises in Speed6 luxury were worth the power. The car handles great, too.

Under heavy acceleration around cloverleaf freeway onramps, the TSX would understeer quite a bit and I'd have to back off. The Speed6 took that same curve with much more confidence.

That being said, the TSX would still be my second-choice sport-sedan. Still a great car.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Drifting

^

nice car, dude.

the speed6 does have a very appealing configuration. turbo-4, awd, 4-door...
Old 01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by XPLORx4
Hi all,

I might get flamed for this, but I just traded my '04 TSX AT for a loaded '06 MazdaSpeed6/NAV. I was very close to trading for an '06 TSX 6MT/NAV. In fact, I was on my way to the Acura dealer, but stopped off at the Mazda dealer on my way. I totally agree that the TSX interior and dash is much more refined and has nice luxo features like dual climate, memory seats, bluetooth, etc., I found that the Speed6's interior is pretty classy. Sure, the MS6 has obvious cost-cutting measures, such as seat track ends that aren't covered with plastic trim, visor screwheads that are visible, flimsy trunk trim, and crappy floormats.

However, the Speed6 is just so much more powerful than the TSX, and I felt that the (small) compromises in Speed6 luxury were worth the power. The car handles great, too.

Under heavy acceleration around cloverleaf freeway onramps, the TSX would understeer quite a bit and I'd have to back off. The Speed6 took that same curve with much more confidence.

That being said, the TSX would still be my second-choice sport-sedan. Still a great car.
Good luck with it, it seems like a nice car.

Just an update, perhaps meaningless.

In the 4 MazdaSpeed6 reviews I've seen so far...

- Finished 4th behind the Jetta GLI, Accord and TSX (Feb C&D)
- Second vs Legacy GT B Sepc (Feb MT)
- Finished 1st vs Impreza WRX (World of Wheels Canada. Both are 35K CAD)
- Finished 1st ahead of Legacy GT B Spec and Audi A4 (Jan/Feb Speed)

Doesn't seem to be as big of a hit as I would have expected among the automotive press.

EDIT: Actually finished first in the Speed comparison.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dom

- Second vs Legacy GT B Sepc (Feb MT)
- Finished 1st vs Impreza WRX (World of Wheels Canada. Both are 35K CAD)
- Second to Legacy GT B Spec but ahead of Audi A4 (Jan/Feb Speed)
i'm curious to know how they evaluated this comparison.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:47 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally Posted by dom
Good luck with it, it seems like a nice car.

Thanks!

Regarding the C&D test, they didn't have the well-equipped GT, so that's why they dinged it.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Race Director

I take it back, I test drove the Mazda 3 I like it. But, Mazda as a whole car brand, I still don't like them at all, plus I hate their commercials making the Honda, Toyota, and Nissan test engineers look like desperate idiots. I would pick a Altima SE-R or Maxima over a Mazda 6 anyday.

My friend and my parents had bad car experiences with their MPV and Mazda 626.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Drifting

^

i think mazda has come a long way from their mpv's and 626's.

but, i understand your concern. it's hard to ignore past quality issues when deciding on big-ticket items.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by odawg55
And last, but not least, women are going to be MUCH more impressed when you pick them up in the Acura rather than a Mazda. More times than not (and I am very aware that there are exceptions) they have no idea whats under the hood--all they see is the Acura emblem and not the emblem that their mother has on the front of her minivan.
Hey, thats all Im saying...
Ugh. I resent that..

Oh, and I also took a Speed6 out for a test drive today and i was very impressed. However, there were some definite low points. Some of which were mentioned, but I'll recap. First, I agree the Navi is not as nice and, yes, I will be purchasing navi. Second, the interior was cheap. Overall-the car is not as "refined" as was said above. I also happen to think $35k is waaaay too much for a "Mazda." For 35k I want to say I own an Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW--whatever. Mazda just doesn't scream class.

The high points were the obvious speed, the brakes. I also liked the remote for the Navi. That was cool. Plus, the remote start is nice. No pass thru for the trunk, though. I was very much reminded of the ride in my friend's Sti while riding in the Speed.

I still think TSX is "the one", but I would be foolish not to investigate my options...

I was wondering if anyone here has owned Mazdas in the past and what kind of problems, if any, they experienced or even what the conceptions of Madza are from the people here. May help weigh on my decision, as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:31 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by SaraWI
I was wondering if anyone here has owned Mazdas in the past and what kind of problems, if any, they experienced or even what the conceptions of Madza are from the people here. May help weigh on my decision, as well.
I haven't owned Mazdas but I have looked at them at several car-buying junctures in the past 15 years. My impression is that they build a competitive car and, of late, have actually discovered some styling that Ford could certainly learn from. That said, I, too, would feel cheated in the "arrive in style" department pulling up to the dinner party in my $35,000 Mazda. Especially when there are so many excellent choices in luxury brands in that price range, the Mazda's allure comes down simply to horsepower.

So, it really does depend on what you want for your money. My concept of Mazda is as a not-as-good-as-Honda-and-Toyota alternative. Not as anything like a luxury marque.

Quick Reply: TSX vs Mazdaspeed 6 Turbo AWD