TSX vs. Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TSX vs. Hyundai Genesis

I first saw the Genesis in the superbowl ad. Then I went online and checked it out. It starts at under $30K and has 375hp. Granted, that is probably the upgraded engine, and for the v8, you might end up paying $35K, but still a great deal.

It looks very impressive. People still probably wont by it just because of the name Hyundai. But it does seem it puts up a good fight. I thought the TSX was the bang for the buck, but the Genesis seems to be a better bang for the buck.

Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hyundai has sure come a long way. And what's the MPG for that high powered V8?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PACman
Hyundai has sure come a long way. And what's the MPG for that high powered V8?
No idea to the MPG. I couldn't find it on thier website. But i'm sure it's not real good if it's a 4.6L. I think more companies are moving towards smaller engines and throwing in a turbo for better MPG, for example the new TSX and the BMW 335 and 135.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might as well compare a Battleship to a Dingy.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They are two wayyyy different vehicles with different purposes. The Genesis is huge, and supposed to compete with large cars, not sport compacts. According to the Genesis thread in Auto News, the top model will come out around $40k, which IMO is too much for a Hyundai, but whatever, that's not the point. They just aren't competitors.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
The Designer

I think it's a great car however the perception of Hyundai still producing crap from the 1980s still exists. Yesterday at a Super Bowl party when the Hyundai commercial came on a few guys in the room made comments about Hyundai is crap and one guy said that their interiors are made of cardboard. If their only experience was a 1991 Hyundai Excel then perhaps, but often people like these make judgements on a single experience they had that stuck with them. A new Hyundai could have a great interior with a great engine but if people never give them a chance because of their past then they can't win.

I am looking past their history because I know that car companies can change. I don't think they are in the same class as a TSX, they are larger and targeted towards larger cars like the Lexus LS and if you picked a car from Acura I'm guessing they'd be targeting the RL. It isn't meant to be a midsize sporty car but rather a larger more luxurious cruiser with a big engine.

If I did get one I'd get the 6 cylinder, the current horsepower wars to me are meaningless other than digging a bigger hole in my pocket.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Hyundais are solid cars. They're in somewhat the same boat as Acura/Honda. They're perceived as being "cheap" and inferior but in reality are nice cars for an unbeatable price. Consumers are benefiting from the lack of association of the name with quality in terms of pricing. You're getting a lot of car without paying any ridiculous mark up for status.

I had a rental one a bit ago (forget which model, the one that tries to look like a Benz in the front) and was really surprised. The interior was pretty generic but it was a base model rental car. Still, it was a smooth, quiet and solidly built car. Certainly spanks the hell out of any North American competition at a fraction of the price. They're going to be a major competitor in 10 years.

They've even got a FWD rally car that holds it's own against the AWD cars. You have to admit that's impressive.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Just dial 1911

^^^ So then why did you both buy an Acura?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Hyundai's never win comparison tests unless value is the main objective. They are usually heavier and have worse gas mileage. Also, their interiors are bland. Has anyone looked at the Genesis' interior? Its boring and the wood looks cheap to me. I bet it would haul ass in a straight line, but its probably crap in the turns.

In hyundai's defense, they do build quality cars for everyday use. They are a major competitor to Toyota (boring cars for the masses), but Honda, Mazda, and Nissan (fun to drive) buyers probably won't give them a second look.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

I sold new hyundai's for three years , thier not bad car but deff not to par with Honda/Acura not to mention thier resale value SUCK'S!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Quite simply because the Acura was a nicer, more refined car. I'm not saying Hyundai is at the top of the competition, just that they are competing. If I was looking at something more like a base model Accord or Civic, it'd be a harder choice. Hyundai just isn't competitive in the luxury game... yet. I haven't seen enough of this new model to know where it falls in the automotive strata.

Keep in mind how much they're benefiting from mooching off the R&D their neighbors have meticulously accumulated over the last 30 years. They've got a quite a head start and very low operating overhead. They're growing tremendously fast as a result. Don't expect that to slow down any time soon.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by samir786
I first saw the Genesis in the superbowl ad. Then I went online and checked it out. It starts at under $30K and has 375hp. Granted, that is probably the upgraded engine, and for the v8, you might end up paying $35K, but still a great deal.

It looks very impressive. People still probably wont by it just because of the name Hyundai. But it does seem it puts up a good fight. I thought the TSX was the bang for the buck, but the Genesis seems to be a better bang for the buck.

Thoughts?

Kinda looks like a slight copy of a g35 sedan to me. Still give a couple years and Hyundai may be a major competition.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-genesis.html
Old 02-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-genesis.html
"Genesis provides a potent combination of performance, luxury, and value. We think it has the opportunity to be an extremely disruptive force in the large sedan and near-luxury segments."
Straight from the mouth of John Krafcik, vice president, product development and strategic planning, Hyundai Motor America.

They're not competing with Acura, Lexus, Infinity, MB or BMW and they know it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
ridiculously good looking

i cant believe someone tried to compare the Genesis......what should we compare next....bmw 750il?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Seriously... didn't take long for this comparo thread to pop up.

Genesis looks like the biggest wanna be player I've ever seen. Its got the ass of the new 5/7 series, the front of a MB AMG 63, and a big ole' Bentley-like wing stuck on the hood. This car might just be what causes several top luxury brands to re-design their cars to look nothing like this one.

I admit: I'm intrigued, but very very far from: "ooh, gotta go try that one out!" I'll reserve further opinions until I can see / drive one, but it has absolutely nothing in common with the TSX. Except FWD.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The TSX probably has way better handling then the Genesis, but I will reserve any real input, as I haven’t driven the vehicle itself. Personally I love throwing the TSX through corners, it’s an addiction, and it’s one of the things this vehicle does best.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,534 Posts
This isn't really a comparison like others have said. Yeah price might be similar but the cars are in two completely different classes. It after the 5 series and GS350.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
I might have bought another hyundai if it had 6MT and 4-doors along with the other goodies the tsx came with. My first hyundai was a 1988 excel gls, bought new. It had over 200,000 miles when it was totaled by a red-light runner-still had the original engine, clutch, transmission and ran excellent until it's death. I now have a 05 elantra gt-commuter car.
Now I will answer your ? I bought my tsx as it was the one I most wanted after test driving other cars. If fit into what I wanted to spend.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Drifting

^^^ No, it's after people that want one of those cars but are no where close to being able to afford one. It will not be able to compete directly with the real luxury players. Still, I'm sure the people the get them will be pretty happy with it.

One major bad thing is the number of these cars that will be riced to hell and back. Get ready to start gouging out your eyeballs.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM

Might as well compare a Battleship to a Dingy.
lol
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Anyway - saw the commercial and how they were stating it has features of a Benz/Beamer/Lexus...well yea, if you rip the entire body off of those 3 makes.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa...who is this guy? JK...haha...what up Joe! Nice to see you're still around.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Whoa...who is this guy? JK...haha...what up Joe! Nice to see you're still around.
Wassup Ken Dawg...

You know how I do, killin' em softly in Ramblings nowadays...The TL board is a bit weird to me. Way too many boyz with TL's their mommy bought them with the IQ of a walnut.

TSX people are good people
Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Hyundai isn't as bad as it used to be (still bad, I know). I'd pick a Hyundai over any domestic junk.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Hyundai, is making a bold move. They are trying to move their brand upscale. I don't know if this will work. Maybe if they made a separate lux division. Remember the VW Phaeton? By all accounts it was a wonderful car. Reviewers had nothing but praise. However, luxury buyers wanted none of it. They couldn't stomach paying 60-70K for a VW even if it outperformed luxury brand competitors. The new Genesis will not pull any buyers from 5series, E-class, GS, or M. It just won't happen. Those buyers are less price conscious (with those models selling for sub $50K range on top of gas and maintenance). The brand image is too important for them.

Well who does that leave? It will be more of a price conscious buyers. It may snag some in the next bracket (3-series, C-class, G, TL, or IS), however those buyers are equally as brand conscious (especially the German and Lexus buyers).

The TSX, BMW 1-series, IS250, or the new Mercedes CLC segment price range definitely makes the Genesis price more competitive comparatively speaking given the features offered. However, these buyers probably aren't in the market for such a large car and are more predisposed to the sport tuned dynamics. Plus brand image is also a consideration (to a lesser extent with the Acura buyers).

People likely to buy the new Genesis are those who fully load their Maximas, Avalons, or Accords. A fully loaded Maxima, Avalon, or Accord runs low $30s. Throw in some Chrysler 300c or Charger drives to that mix. It's still a gutsy experiment.

I have an 05 TL. I will fully own it in about 1-2 more years. When I'm in the market for a new car 2-3yrs from now, I don't think Hyundai will be on that list unfortunately.

As much as we Aziner like to think we're above the fray, in terms of brand snobs, we aren't. Acura is considered a premium brand to most, even though it's more niche than MB/BMW/Lexus.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 PM
The Designer

Originally Posted by Reach
Seriously... didn't take long for this comparo thread to pop up.

Genesis looks like the biggest wanna be player I've ever seen. Its got the ass of the new 5/7 series, the front of a MB AMG 63, and a big ole' Bentley-like wing stuck on the hood. This car might just be what causes several top luxury brands to re-design their cars to look nothing like this one.

I admit: I'm intrigued, but very very far from: "ooh, gotta go try that one out!" I'll reserve further opinions until I can see / drive one, but it has absolutely nothing in common with the TSX. Except FWD.
It's not FWD, its RWD.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
hmm...

Not exactly a fair comparison...this is Hyundai's new flagship, compared to Acura's smallest car. The commercial compared it to a BMW 7 series and a Mercedes S-class, so I think those would be better comparisons =) On another note, I've heard (very small) rumors that the engine is going to be used in a new coupe, which could be interesting. On another another note, imo, hyundai is for someone simply on a tight budget that wants a good car. I'm not sure if this ultra-lux-sport is going to work for them at that price-they want to raise their company's cred, they need to also raise the price (as much as I hate the fact, it is somewhat true. A company cannot be upper class unless it's...upperclass.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Race Director

Hyundai at least isn't stubborn and is taking chances something Honda/Acura doesn't do.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
cl9alltheway

i used to work at a hyundai dealership...and i drive a tsx. dont get the hyundai. true hyundai has come a long way but.....they still have lots of nonsense problems left and right even cars like the veracruz that was comparable to a lexus. japanese cars are still the best, the south koreans still need to get some of the kinks out of their cars. just got my tsx 2 months ago and I LOVE IT! i think 08 is redesigned too.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=LukeaTron]The Hyundais are solid cars. They're in somewhat the same boat as Acura/Honda. They're perceived as being "cheap" and inferior but in reality are nice cars for an unbeatable price. Consumers are benefiting from the lack of association of the name with quality in terms of pricing. You're getting a lot of car without paying any ridiculous mark up for status.

Are u serious? They are not even in the same sea as an ACURA..cmon man, please tell me you are smarter than that.... :shakehead
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE=jeowen]
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
The Hyundais are solid cars. They're in somewhat the same boat as Acura/Honda. They're perceived as being "cheap" and inferior but in reality are nice cars for an unbeatable price. Consumers are benefiting from the lack of association of the name with quality in terms of pricing. You're getting a lot of car without paying any ridiculous mark up for status.

Are u serious? They are not even in the same sea as an ACURA..cmon man, please tell me you are smarter than that.... :shakehead
I said somewhat the same boat and by that I was referring only to public perception. As far as the way the public views the Acura brand, it's by and large considered inferior compared to their competition - Lexus, BMW, MB and to a lesser extent Infiniti. It's not that people don't consider Acura a luxury brand, they just don't consider it to be in the upper echelon of luxury. All of us here generally know that this is a problem with perception and not a physical problem with the cars.

I think it's in large part emblematic of Honda/Acura's commitment to building practical cars. The cars that are considered top tier luxury cars are usually well above and beyond practical to the point of ridiculous excess.

The point I was trying to make is that this perception caps the price Acura is able to charge for the vehicles and still be able to sell them. This is quite advantageous for those of us who are able to look beyond image and see the extremely reliable, practical, yet still very luxurious car behind it all. Hyundai is in a similar position only their target buyer is not so much us. They're aimed at a different demographic who can't afford the level luxury the European and Japanese manufacturers are producing. They are not trying to compete in a realistic sense.

I think a real hurdle they're going to have to overcome is the fact that their main competitors are the American manufacturers. A lot of people that buy American cars are fiercely proud of that fact and will automatically discount a Korean car as garbage because no one builds em like America (wisely). They have a relatively small slice of the market who would even consider their vehicles. Luckily their products seem to be of superior quality in comparison to their American competition so those who do take the plunge are likely to become full fledge converts.

I think the idea behind this new car is that they want a more mature offering for those who bought one of their cheaper cars and liked it. Those buyers are now older with more disposable income and want to move up in the world. I'm betting their strategy is going work fantastically. They're essentially mirroring exactly what Honda and Toyota did from the late 80's up till now. Everything Hyundai is doing, they figured out from watching the Japanese for 30 years. It's hardly a bad idea.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Maybe I'll look at a used one for 10K
Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
The reality is the Hyundai is generally running about one generation behind in the NVH wars vs. Toyota and Honda. They make nice cars that are good value but have weak resale. They prop that up with extras like the warranty program and stuffing the vehicles with "standard" equipment.

The current weakest point for Hyundai is their engines. Not the power, that's fine, but the fuel comsumption. Their NVH issues with engines are getting ironed out, but they still almost always trail the pack in MPG.

Last year's JDPower surveys put Hyundai either tied or within spitting distance of Acura in almost all catagories...of course Honda was much better than Acura, go figure...so it ain't your father's cheap econ crapster.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well said Luke, i see your view and its a great point. We could do a model by model brake down as far as the "upper echelon" goes, but we will spare all of that..as i did alot of research and test driving before the purchase of our TL-S..and what i found was for the luxury/performance/price...Acura is on top. Unless you have the 50 to 80 grand to step into that next level. And for the Genesis..I nod my head for a company trying..however U8INIT, a few quotes before this one..sums it all up for me - resale value-
Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 AM
B A N N E D

a friend of mine works for hyundai and i got to drive his genesis around for a little bit. my initial response was "wow this is a hyundai?". the car looks alot better in person, a little too mature for my taste but I could see why people would consider purchasing one. the quality of the seats felt alot firmer and more comfortable than the tsx's. i would compare it to bmw seats if yall have ever sitten in one you'll know what im talking about. the car definatly has alot more oomph compared to the tsx as well but it still felt like i was driving a boat. i thought the tl was kinda bad compared to the tsx but the genesis felt really heavy around corners but i guess for every day driving its not bad. i was really impressed with the sound system in the car. good highs and lows in the stock system but it might be because it had the premium audio package in the car. i wish i had more time to play with it but it left a good impression with me.

overall if they can keep this car with most of the available options for under 30k i think it will sell well.. some of you older folk (no offense :p) should take a look at it if you're in the market for a new car.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Pro

[QUOTE=joerockt] Wassup Ken Dawg...

You know how I do, killin' em softly in Ramblings nowadays...The TL board is a bit weird to me. Way too many boyz with TL's their mommy bought them with the IQ of a walnut.

There's nothing funnier than the truth.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Pro

It should be compared to the rl, however with the new redesign i would rather have the hyundai the RL looks horrible
Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Drifting

I'm sure the RL will put the Genesis to shame in the quality department but I must sadly admit that the new RL will lose the battle over looks. I dunno, if they do something about that grill it could be a fair fight but from what we've seen... poor RL.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Man, the new Genesis > RL in terms of looks. Thought the 2009 is "re-design" but somehow it looks like Genesis, just not as good...

2009 Acura RL Front

2009 Hyundai Genesis

2009 Acura RL rear

2009 Genesis Rear

Old 02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Drifting

If you could somehow get the Genesis nose on the RL (with a little Acura flare of course), you'd have a real winner. That grill is just an eyesore though. The hind quarters of both are pretty shapely but I like the RL's more.