TSX v. G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nevermind

Hey guys, sounds like most of you really love the TSX. I test drove one a couple weeks ago and admit it is a great car but seemed to be a little low on torque. I also test drove the G35 and have to admit that car is a lot more fun to drive but the TSX interior seems to be a lot better quality and more options for the price. Anyone compare the two before they made their purchase and can offer me any thoughts? TIA

(Acknowledging the fact that they are two different classes of cars, but just curious since the G35 base with sunroof is about $5k more than a TSX w/o Nav)
Old 04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The TL is a better car to cross shop but this has been discussed a million times here. Try typing in "G35" when you click the button.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:18 AM
5th Gear

k, thanks, sorry
Old 04-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem, noobs are allowed one search exemption!

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer the tsx. I drove the g35 coupe and while I thought it had plenty of power I didn't like that the engine was very loud, the interior looked like crap and I wasn't thrilled with the exterior. So I'd rather have less power under the hood and more standard options and a nicer interior/exterior.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Pro

I only have a chance to open up my TSX on the road about 5 times a week, so an extra $5k to save roughly 7 seconds a week doesn't seem like a good investment to me, especially since you get an uglier car inside and out in the process, while burning alot more fuel.

If you are buying a car for the track, skip both the G35 and TSX and go get an Evo or STi.

The reality of driving in America is that you rarely get to cruise above 75 MPH, and you only get to accelerate as fast as the minivan in front of you. Big power and torque are nice, but the fact is that you use the interior every second that you are driving, and you only get to use all of your engine's power under rare (and illegal) circumstances, regardless of what car you buy.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Powered by Hondanium

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
If you are buying a car for the track, skip both the G35 and TSX and go get an Evo or STi.

The reality of driving in America is that you rarely get to cruise above 75 MPH, and you only get to accelerate as fast as the minivan in front of you. Big power and torque are nice, but the fact is that you use the interior every second that you are driving, and you only get to use all of your engine's power under rare (and illegal) circumstances, regardless of what car you buy.
I'm with you! Especially here in the northeast, your priorities get a little skewed over time.

Living in and around Boston it's better to have a car that is a little smaller, quick and precise (rather than brute force), good in all weather, a slightly forgiving suspension (soften the potholes without losing too much in cornering), and comes nice comforts inside (for the time stuck in traffic). The TSX is all that and a bag a chips!

The Evo and the STi are sweet rides and without question will kick the crap out of our baby performance-wise, but it's deifinitely not the car I'd want for a city commute. And yeah there are plenty of more "comfy" cars, but I don't spend my entire life in the city either. The TSX is the swiss army knife of the entry-level lux market.

Gotta make sure you have the right tools for the right job!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
Rigth on the spot.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Instructor

I was very close to G35 sedan or Saab 9-3.
With Nissan supplier discount the G35 was about 425
and the TSX I have is 350/mo.

The money wasn't the big thing, if the G35 was better
in some way, or in any way made me want it,
I woulda payed.

The TSX build quality, features, comfort, is way above.
The power is more than enough, more than I can use.
The silky smooth elegance of the TSX with better
fuel ecomony, cheaper price, beauty,
everything beats the G35.

I don't jump off the line alot, not important to me.
TSX has top end speed that's for sure, just got to
get the RPM's up to play. If you have to have G's
to plant your butt into the seat, then there's alot
of choices.

Tim
Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Race Director

i've driven both and of course the G35 sedan will beat the TSX of course and the G35 sedan will beat the TL in a drag race, since it has more torque and is rear wheel drive.

but, i feel old when i drive the G35 sedan vs the TSX which I feel like my age 24 yrs old or younger 20-25 age range.

but if it was between the G35 coupe and TSX, definately the G35 coupe, no brainer there! still hoping in a few yrs to buy a G35 coupe to be my 2nd car.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Racer

The one thing I noticed while test driving the G35 was the overall lack of ergonomics in the interior. Plus the interior seems forced and too trendy - wheras the TSX will still look great in the years to come.

We can all argue about the looks, but it seemed Nissan forgot how to design cars with this interior.

A push button instead of a dial, poor button placement, a huge useless clock, etc. etc.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Orangeblood

I have never owned a japanese car until my TSX. I have noted over the years that the styling (exterior and interior) of a lot of Japanese cars leaves a lot to be desired. This dates back to the 70s and 80s.

In my opinion, Datsun/Nissan is the prime offender (B210 300ZX, 280Z 2+2,G35, Maxima, I could go on), followed closely by Toyota (Celica, Celica, Celica, and that Lexus coupe, among others).

Relative newcomer Honda, along with Acura, has never had an offensive design, to my recollection. The corollary to that, I suppose, is a lack of stirring designs. But like it only takes one "aw shit" to undo a whole lot of "attaboys" . . . . I call the G35 styling seppuku, esp the interior, and the Maxima to me is hideous.

The TSX at the Dallas Auto Show in March (where I became enamored) was probably the most balanced, elegant vehicle at the show other than the GT40 and the Jag XK's.