TSX trade to 11 MDX ...opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
TSX trade to 11 MDX ...opinions needed

So, I currently own two Acura sedans, a TL and TSX, as noted in my sig.
Both cars are fully loaded and bought brand new. My wife has been expressing a lot of interests in an MDX. She drives the TSX. And

We test drove a 2011 MDX Advance/ent and fell in love. Eventually, we would love to own this vehicle. The car that we will likely trade is her TSX. The thing is, her car will be fully paid off in 2013. We have a child that really needs a little more room and a vehicle that is more capable of tackleing family activities. We wanted to wait to pay off her car in order to keep it. It's a great car with zero problems.
When we drove the MDX, we came to the conclusion that it would be a major upgrade from her car. The appraised trade value is $11,000, so that would be knocked off the price of the MDX.

So my questions are:

A) Would you guys suggest we trade now and upgrade, keeping the car note trend going?

B) Wait until the TSX is paid 3 years from now and then get the MDX without trading the TSX?

C) Wait until the TSX is paid 3 years from now and then get the MDX with a trade of the TSX

C) Get the MDX now without trading the TSX, maintaining the payments on the TSX until it's paid off?

An suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it really depends on your budget. You don't want to buried in 2 or 3 car payments. I'd trade in the TSX and get the MDX if you like the MDX more.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
So my questions are:

A) Would you guys suggest we trade now and upgrade, keeping the car note trend going?

B) Wait until the TSX is paid 3 years from now and then get the MDX without trading the TSX?

C) Wait until the TSX is paid 3 years from now and then get the MDX with a trade of the TSX

D) Get the MDX now without trading the TSX, maintaining the payments on the TSX until it's paid off?

An suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on your finances, needs, and future plans.

If you're going to give up the TSX anyway, you might as well go with option A since the trade-in value will be highest (since cars depreciate in value as time goes on).

If you want to keep the TSX as a backup vehicle, then option B or D is fine, depending whether you need the MDX immediately. Just note that if you go with option D, you'll have a lower credit score for a while since you'll have two car loans (lenders will see that you have alot of debt and might be riskier). With a lower credit score, you might want to wait a couple of years before making another major purchase (mortgage, etc).

I would not choose option C. The car would be paid off, and its trade-in value would be lower then. Why give away a paid off car when you don't have to make payments anymore?

In the end, you're the only expert of your life and only you can decide whether you need the MDX now, and whether or not you want to keep the TSX. I would wait a week or so before making a decision. Since you just recently test drove the (new) vehicle, you'll of course have an impulse to buy it. Wait a while so you can think clearly. Maybe a MDX would be nice to have, but maybe the TSX might have sufficient room until your child grows a little bit older? There's a difference between need and want. You may want more space, but perhaps the space you have is all that you need at the moment.

By the way, dealers don't make money off of selling cars, they make money off of trade-ins. If possible, sell the car yourself, and then use the money as a down payment for the MDX (if you choose to get rid of the TSX). The TSX is fuel efficient, so there are people out there who would be glad to buy it off of you (especially in these financial times). That way, you won't take as big of a hit.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Seems to me that that the real question is balancing what makes the most financial sense with what you want. It's likely one or the other...not both.

Keeping the TSX until it is paid off makes the most financial sense regardless of scenarios. You said it has no problems, and I would think it should easily make it until 2013, (sooner than you think, by the calendar anyway.)

Also, unless it has a ton of miles, I'd be shocked if your TSX was not worth a good deal more than $11,000.

But you sound like you want the MDX. If you have extra money in the bank, maybe it's no big deal. But if you don't, I'd stay with what you have. Did you say you just have one child? Can't see the need for so much more space than is afforded by your TSX and TL. We have a 10 year-old and the TSX is plenty of room for the three of us and our dog, too.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
In the end, you're the only expert of your life and only you can decide whether you need the MDX now, and whether or not you want to keep the TSX. I would wait a week or so before making a decision. Since you just recently test drove the (new) vehicle, you'll of course have an impulse to buy it. Wait a while so you can think clearly. Maybe a MDX would be nice to have, but maybe the TSX might have sufficient room until your child grows a little bit older? There's a difference between need and want. You may want more space, but perhaps the space you have is all that you need at the moment.

By the way, dealers don't make money off of selling cars, they make money off of trade-ins. If possible, sell the car yourself, and then use the money as a down payment for the MDX (if you choose to get rid of the TSX). The TSX is fuel efficient, so there are people out there who would be glad to buy it off of you (especially in these financial times). That way, you won't take as big of a hit.
When my 06 was in the shop for the steering hose recall I was given an '11 MDX as a loaner. Wow it was a nice car. We put 60 miles on it overnight (we also live in Houston). The car was very quiet, drove well, very nice quality fit and finish. I think it got about half the gas milage as the TSX. I found the seat bottoms to be hard and uncomfortable after a 'long' drive. We returned the loaner and got the TSX back and soon I forgot about the nice new car. My car has been paid off for some time. This is the best time to own a car when your only expenses are gas and insurance.

That said I may get an '11 TSX once they are shipping and prices have stabilized. But I really don't NEED to get a new car, the 06 is running just fine. I just WANT a new car. So I'm torn.

If you need more space there may be other options like the RDX, or a used car. The MDX is pricey compared to the TSX. An MDX w/Tech and Entertainment is $48K. That is a lot of money for transportation. What else could you do with that money? Pay down the mortgage?

If you do get a new car you would probably get more for the car if you sell it yourself. Dealers don't offer much on trade ins. You may save the hassle, and there is a sales tax break since you only pay sales tax on the balance of the new car. But even so you will probably be out 1-2 grand by trading it in.

Sleep on it.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by rhannahs19
I think it really depends on your budget. You don't want to buried in 2 or 3 car payments. I'd trade in the TSX and get the MDX if you like the MDX more.
I agree-My niece and her husband had to make the same decision about a year ago-They finally decided to trade their Lexus sedan for the 10 MDX. They have no regrets-now that they have a child with the stroller and all the other goodies.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Suggestions? TSX wagon, for a bunch of reasons. It's 1200 lbs. lighter, $20K cheaper ($34 vs $54), 50% better mileage, and many more (not the least of which...... it's a car not a truck).
Old 10-30-2010, 11:17 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Suggestions? TSX wagon, for a bunch of reasons. It's 1200 lbs. lighter, $20K cheaper ($34 vs $54), 50% better mileage, and many more (not the least of which...... it's a car not a truck).
I agree
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
My wife wanted the MDX also after a test drive. The TSX was her car and it was the 99% solution for what we do day in and day out. Our son is now 12 years old and growing about 1 inch every 8-12 months (only 3 in our family).

I got her to test drive the 08 RDX w/ tech and she loved the size and power. It has everything the TSX is missing and almost the same amount of luxury as the MDX. With the money I saved, I put on the OEM front spoiler, Eibach lowering springs, RonJon rims, and Hondata reflash. The wife love the RDX because it handles better than the TSX, very easy to drive with the extra power (faster than a MDX), easy to park, and very good utility around town and on trips. We sold my old Honda Accord with 190,000 miles and now have the TSX and RDX in the family.

I think we are about 12-18 months away from an all new MDX. I will be ready to trade the 06 TSX for either the all new 2013 MDX or go for a used 2011/2012 MDX advance at a cheaper price.

Unless you have to leave your kid at home because of lack of room, I would wait and put the extra money from the higher MDX payment into the bank to see what the all new RDX and MDX will look like 12-18 months down the road. If you can’t wait, check out the RDX.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Yes, I agree...if space is truly an issue, that's a good suggestion. Why drive a vehicle that's meant for life in the mountains, (with the added cost, heavy duty axles & skid plates, weight, the unnecessary clearance & bad gas mileage that comes with it), unless you really need it?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much far for all the advice folks. It's all being taken into consideration.

The reason we decided on the the MDX is because we usually have family that visit and the 7 seat capacity is a major plus (even if the last row only fits kids). Also, the rear entertainment system would come in really handy on road trips. And we tend to take a lot of those.

The RDX is a superb vehicle, but the seating capacity and lack of DVD is what got us looking at the MDX. Even though the RDX is just as fun to drive as the TSX, I'll save the twisties for the TL and use the MDX as a the people hauler.

The TSX wagon is ruled out because we needed a vehicle lifted off the ground. Here in flat Houston, it tends to flood easily during hurricane season or any sudden downpour. Thus, the need for an SUV instead of a wagon. Even though the TSX wagon is pretty sweet, we had to pass.

Financially speaking, it would be great to have the TSX as a backup vehicle. The car only has 62,000 miles and it's an '05. If the TSX is paid off, I would keep it. It's a great car. But since we have a note, it makes sense to sell instead of trade, that way we can get more out of it.

Here's a pic of the TSX:

And the MDX we are hoping for:
Old 10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Racer

None of the above. I personally would by RDX over an MDX any day even though i would fit better in a MDX, cause im 6'4''.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX408
None of the above. I personally would by RDX over an MDX any day even though i would fit better in a MDX, cause im 6'4''.
What is it about the MDX that turns you off?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Racer

I wouldn't normally offer my opinion beyond the financials & driving characteristics, but since you began the thread by asking for opinions on what to do, I'll add some more in response to your last note.

I don't see a good "reason" to get the MDX. I can clearly see that you and your wife "want" it...but no real need pops out.

Downpours are not likely to cause a car a problem in most cases, especially one with traction control...and if an occasional flood appears, it's just as likely to be too high for the MDX, (not an off-road vehicle.) I live in Colorado, and with the snow we get, I could benefit from an SUV a couple of times a year, but I can easily wait an hour on those 2-3 days for the plows--not even close to worth buying a gigantic vehicle for the other 362 days.

As for space, buying seating for visiting family is also a big jump. My brother did that and regrets it. You could drive two cars if you had to on those occasions and save a ton of money and trouble.

With all that said, there's no bad vehicle in the Acura line-up. (And I'll say this; the MDX is the one Acura big enough to not be completely overpowered by the largely unpopular 'Power Plenum" grill.) Best of luck with what you decide.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 10-30-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
I wouldn't normally offer my opinion beyond the financials & driving characteristics, but since you began the thread by asking for opinions on what to do, I'll add some more in response to your last note.

I don't see a good "reason" to get the MDX. I can clearly see that you and your wife "want" it...but no real need pops out.

Downpours are not likely to cause a car a problem in most cases, especially one with traction control...and if an occasional flood appears, it's just as likely to be too high for the MDX, (not an off-road vehicle.) I live in Colorado, and with the snow we get, I could benefit from an SUV a couple of times a year, but I can easily wait an hour on those 2-3 days for the plows--not even close to worth buying a gigantic vehicle for the other 362 days.

As for space, buying seating for visiting family is also a big jump. My brother did that and regrets it. You could drive two cars if you had to on those occasions and save a ton of money and trouble.

With all that said, there's no bad vehicle in the Acura line-up. (And I'll say this; the MDX is the one Acura big enough to not be completely overpowered by the largely unpopular 'Power Plenum" grill.) Best of luck with what you decide.
Thanks for your input Boulder!

One of the main reasons that I didn't mention was we like to do outdoor activites on the weekends. We have a pair of mountain bikes that I would love to take out on the weekends. Two sedans doesn't really give us that luxury. I'm not much of a pickup truck guy either, so that's out of the question.

The RDX is a nice size ute, but with 2 bikes and the kiddie stuff, space is kind of tight.

I do agree with you on the whole Acura lineup. They make some of the nicest vehicles on the market. Hence, why I would rather keep it in the Acura family. And yes, even though the power plenum grill doesn't really look attractive, it fits the MDX well. The previous MDX grill (07-09) wasn't so bad either.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Let me help you!

We have a pair of mountain bikes that I would love to take out on the weekends. Two sedans doesn't really give us that luxury.
A bike rack would help you out on those weekends. If you do a search, you can find quite a bit of TSXs with bike racks (both on the roof, as well as the hidden one behind the trunk).
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Racer

What is it about the MDX that turns you off?
The 10k difference in price. For a v6, 2 more seats, mostly American than Japanese, 60 more hp, and few other thing but there little things that does not really matter. Overall i would consider a Honda Pilot, 4Runner, Highlander, Pathfinder, or Touareg before i get a MDX. I really don't know why i dislike the MDX but just do. I know when i was looking at cars back 05 i considered getting a MDX but i went in a different direction and got a 350z instead. Yeah if you really like the MDX its your choice but money is the biggest factor. I think financing is stupid unless its 0% or for mortgage on a home(but thats a way different story), anyways i beg you if your TSX is not paid off don't buy a car that you really don't need. Life is full of wants but you won't fulfill them all. For example my TSX was paid in cash(way i perfer of buying cars) and now i want an S5 or Q5 and i have the money but im holding myself back because im thinking about my future, cause i may need for something important. You can make anything..... on paper sound good just make sure you make the right choice. Cause at the end of the day you want to be

Excuse grammar its late lights out for me lol if i can sleep. or ill just go back to studying for cpa. lol
Old 10-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by TSX408
I think financing is stupid unless its 0% or for mortgage on a home(but thats a way different story), anyways i beg you if your TSX is not paid off don't buy a car that you really don't need. Life is full of wants but you won't fulfill them all. For example my TSX was paid in cash(way i perfer of buying cars)
Try getting a mortgage without a history of using credit (financing). Paying for a car with cash has its benefits (cheaper because you don't pay for interest), but not everyone has $30k+ sitting in their bank account waiting to be spent (might as well invest that money in a bond or something). Besides, to get your credit score as high as possible (so that lenders will be more willing to lend money to you, as well as a lower interest rate), you need to borrow money to show that you can borrow and repay money responsibly. A compromise would be better than just paying outright in cash, such as paying for half of the car and financing the other half.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Racer

^You make a good point.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in a similar situation about a month ago.

My 04 TSX had been paid off for a couple years already and I was enjoying having no car payments. However, the car was starting to need repairs every couple months this year, which was getting annoying, but even more important was our new house. We found ourselves needing a vehicle with more utility nearly every week. We had to borrow a friend's truck several times for various things, and trips to Lowes were not working out for my TSX.

So for a few reasons, I started considering the move to some sort of SUV. It took a while for me to be ok with that, as I really loved my TSX. I never owned or drove an SUV before, and I honestly didn't like it it at first. I knew I had to get over that, though, because our needs were changing quickly.

It came down to an RDX or MDX for me, but the MDX would have had to be used to be in my price range. It was a tough decision, but I went with the RDX mostly because A) I couldn't fathom paying such a high price for a used vehicle, and B) the MDX is rather large, although it's very comfortable and the space would be nice when needed, I just don't need it every single day.

About 5 weeks after the trade, I'm happy with my decision (although I still miss my TSX ).

For your decision, I think you really need to be honest with yourself and spend some time evaluating whether you really need the space of the MDX. If it's going to pinch you financially, I'd avoid it. You can always get one for your next vehicle. They are very nice, I understand the draw.

As for car payments and keeping the TSX, I would just trade the TSX whenever you decide to do the purchase. It's tempting to keep it - I thought about it as well - but you will still need to insure and maintain it, so it's not really "free". It wouldn't be a lot to keep it, but it's definitely money that could be used elsewhere for savings or whatever.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Try getting a mortgage without a history of using credit (financing). Paying for a car with cash has its benefits (cheaper because you don't pay for interest), but not everyone has $30k+ sitting in their bank account waiting to be spent (might as well invest that money in a bond or something). Besides, to get your credit score as high as possible (so that lenders will be more willing to lend money to you, as well as a lower interest rate), you need to borrow money to show that you can borrow and repay money responsibly. A compromise would be better than just paying outright in cash, such as paying for half of the car and financing the other half.
Totally agree. If you can pay cash, then by all means do it, but most people need to build credit, so making payments on a car is a good thing. I put about 75% down on my RDX and financed the rest at 0.9% to build more credit. I already have a good score, but our house is in my bf's name until we get married, so my car loan and credit cards are my means of building credit.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I was in a similar situation about a month ago.

My 04 TSX had been paid off for a couple years already and I was enjoying having no car payments. However, the car was starting to need repairs every couple months this year, which was getting annoying, but even more important was our new house. We found ourselves needing a vehicle with more utility nearly every week. We had to borrow a friend's truck several times for various things, and trips to Lowes were not working out for my TSX.

So for a few reasons, I started considering the move to some sort of SUV. It took a while for me to be ok with that, as I really loved my TSX. I never owned or drove an SUV before, and I honestly didn't like it it at first. I knew I had to get over that, though, because our needs were changing quickly.

It came down to an RDX or MDX for me, but the MDX would have had to be used to be in my price range. It was a tough decision, but I went with the RDX mostly because A) I couldn't fathom paying such a high price for a used vehicle, and B) the MDX is rather large, although it's very comfortable and the space would be nice when needed, I just don't need it every single day.

About 5 weeks after the trade, I'm happy with my decision (although I still miss my TSX ).

For your decision, I think you really need to be honest with yourself and spend some time evaluating whether you really need the space of the MDX. If it's going to pinch you financially, I'd avoid it. You can always get one for your next vehicle. They are very nice, I understand the draw.

As for car payments and keeping the TSX, I would just trade the TSX whenever you decide to do the purchase. It's tempting to keep it - I thought about it as well - but you will still need to insure and maintain it, so it's not really "free". It wouldn't be a lot to keep it, but it's definitely money that could be used elsewhere for savings or whatever.
Well, we've decided that carrying multiple car payments for a vehicle we won't use everyday, doesn't make financial sense. We are emotionally attached to the TSX for various reasons. One, being fun to drive and the other for avoiding major accidents. However, the MDX does all that as well (I don't know about being as fun to drive as the TSX, but it handles well with the SH-AWD)

I was actually following your thread when you traded for the RDX. It's nice btw! I really considered the RDX, but the space wasn't sufficient for our needs. Hence, we moved to the RDX's big brother.

You're right...a paid car still isn't technically "free." And that money can go elsewhere, like a savings for our little one.
Priority's trump emotions anyway.

More than likely, I would wait for Acura to start their incentive program before I make a move. That also gives us more time to enjoy the TSX before the switch.