Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,753 Likes on 2,536 Posts
theres a good fellow tsxer
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers! to you for coming out in one piece, and kudos to the TSX for taking care of you. Makes me think about how lucky I am to get home to my family every night with so many distracted, unattentive idiots driving cars on the streets of my city.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That'll buff right out.

Glad you're ok.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Professional Newbie

jeeeezus man, that looks harsh, both sides at once! glad ur okay

curtain and side bags went off i assume? think they helped?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
iVTEC no koe

I know for my insurance, if the (new) car gets written-off in the first year of ownership, the payout is the same amount as the cost of purchase.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look closely at one of the picture through the windows, you will see the distinctive pink side curtain airbags. I was involved in a crash in an Acura TL and I remember the side airbags were also pink
Old 10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro

same, i had a 99 jetta VR6 (RIP), and was in an accident that totaled the car...also had pinkish airbag.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Thanks TSXuck for getting those posted for me. Sorry to those of you that couldn't see the pics, or had trouble. I'll def. bookmark imageshack for future posts...

To answer some questions... the lady was going 45. I was going 45. She has minimum insurance coverage, so I am going through my insurance for everything (remember she is responsible for 3 other cars - besides her own).

As for the insurance total value of my car. I'd rather not say at this point, mainly because I still have to figure out exactly how much I've paid, etc. My initial feel is that I will be out a little (a couple of payments), but I guess I would chalk that up to 10 weeks of use??

As for my injuries... still not fully known... but right now, spine out of place, ribs out of place, possible tearing of tissue... essentially: lots of back and neck pain. again, nothing broken (thank you God for letting me buy that TSX before getting in that accident!)

And yes, 4 of the 6 airbags deployed. Both fronts, and the driver side and side curtain. And yeah, they are kind of a flesh-color/pink/whatever. The driver window blew out, so I was glad I had the side curtains... no cuts at all on my face. only my arms.

Here's some airbag pics (sorry bout the blurry one)

Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by mgoblu
As for my injuries... still not fully known... but right now, spine out of place, ribs out of place, possible tearing of tissue... essentially: lots of back and neck pain. again, nothing broken (thank you God for letting me buy that TSX before getting in that accident!)
Make sure you go to plenty of physiotherapy for that spine injury. I got t-boned, spine shifted as well, sucks now, at 25, got lower back problems, can't stand for long durations.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks, it looks like my car in a few year , Glad everone is ok
Old 10-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro

What can I say??? You are one lucky dude. I'm old enough to remember when if you got T-boned on the driver side by a car doing 45+/- MPH we'd be asking "where do we send the flowers." BTW what make of ride was she driving?

Looking at the pics I am amazed at how well the TSX took that hit. The passenger compartment looks to be intact and the car itself looks to be relatively "squared-up." One of the major reasons I bought this car was for safety and self-defense against brain dead DMF'ing drivers; aka: 4 wheeled killing machines. I am curious to hear from you how the side air bags worked in all this metal mayhem. I'm sure you don't even want to think about what would have happened without them.

Once again - Glad to hear you're basically OK and still blogging away.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mgoblu
To answer some questions... the lady was going 45. I was going 45. She has minimum insurance coverage, so I am going through my insurance for everything (remember she is responsible for 3 other cars - besides her own).
"the lady" ? .....I got another name for her.

Damn, spanking new car and this, sorry dude.

What trash can was "the lady" driving ? where was this ?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:38 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To see the pics right click on the link and select "copy link location" and then paste the link in the URL field in your browser. You can't click on the links directly because the website that is hosting them doesn't allow linking from other sites. But copying and pasting the URL works.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Advanced

I'm curious to see what happened to the lady's car....... since ur TSX did so well in the crash. I hope ur injuries arent too serious.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Advanced

The chick was driving an 05 Cobalt. Not really sure of the damages to her car (I couldn't see it afterwards). Also, just to clarify... the police report says another car travelling in the opposite direction of me (also with green light), hit the lady first in her driver side rear as she tore through the intersection (I did not see/do not remember any of that)... that caused her to turn slightly as she plowed into me. Her passenger side front smashed into my driver side front (see pics). I think we then smashed into each other side-to-side, causing all the rest of the damage to my driver side. That collision propelled me through the intersection sideways, through a road sign and into a fourth car.

Again, this is all info I got from the police report. My recollection is different. All I remember is the front of her car smashing into the front driver side of my car, I remember the sensation of spinning/floating, and I remember a couple of more hits. Then I was at a complete stop, my door would not open, and the fourth car was blocking both my passenger doors from opening. So I waited for the firemen to come and cut the hinges of my door and fold it back toward the back of the car (freaked me out big time).

I don't remember the airbags going off. It happens so fast, you don't realize they went off until you see them lying there deflated. So I don't know how much they stopped me from moving into my door more. But I know that airbags only help on the first hit... the additional hits (road sign and fourth car) were airbag-less hits. As far as airbag injury... only some burn on my left arm from the side airbag.

Anyway, the only injuries I appear to have are "minor" for now. I am optimistically praying and hoping for a full recovery and no additional pain down the road. It sounds like some of you have experienced differently, and I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Wow, glad to hear your ok, luckily the TSX is a great car to be in a crash with...hope it all works out. Are you going to buy another TSX?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
cmf
ATCer

Damn, that's crazy. I'd take her to the cleaners, just for being stupid (running a red light) and just in case you have problems later in life.

Good to know you survived something like that, and safe to say the TSX has a well built shell.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Advanced

I know that the airbags go off because of hot air. But if you get in an accident like right after u start the engine and drive willl the airbags deploy?? I alwayz wondered bout that since there is prob not that much hot air in the engine.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your TSX, but on the plus side it you around to purchase a new one.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by asethi16
I know that the airbags go off because of hot air. But if you get in an accident like right after u start the engine and drive willl the airbags deploy?? I alwayz wondered bout that since there is prob not that much hot air in the engine.
hot air from a chemical reaction. theyre electic. a signal is sent to the bags to set off a chemical reaction that creates an excessive ammount of hot air and a VERY short period of time.
at the fire dept we used to set off the airbags in the cars we used to practice maunvers on by putting them in a pot hole and then running wire a distance away and setting them off with a car battery.
fun to watch. kinda loud but happens really quick
Old 10-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Advanced

oh wow thanx Xtremespeed thas interestin