TSX in snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:05 PM
fhwagads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX in snow

So I finally got to drive in some snow this past week and i have to say that it was TERRIBLE! It might have to do to the fact that there was only light flufy stuff instead of heavy snow fall but I had almost no traction whatsoever. It was almost scary driving around. I hope that traction improves with more snow. But just as a warning, light fluffy layer on the road = near disaster in the TSX. I love my car but now I might seriously have to consider winter tires. Let me know if anybody else drove in the snow. Oh im from wisconsin by the way.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

you should definitely invest in some winter tires living up there. The michelins are shit!
Old 11-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahh...Hello neighbor! Good to know I'm not alone in the frozen tundra. I too had to drive in the light, blowing snow. BUT, I am still driving my Accord (unfortuntely not my TSX yet). The good new is that I don't think it was the car! It was a weird kinda snow because of the wind. I had to call the police from the Highway because I saw a car in front of me spin out and land in the ditch. Not cool. My Accord is usually awesome in the snow, but that day I was wetting my pants. I think when we get our usual 50 feet of heavy, wet cold stuff the car will perform up to par. Did I mention how much I want to move south? It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here. Now that's cold. You lucky TSX owners have heated seats. Not fair...
Old 11-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P.S. I have Michelins on the Accord and they are great in the snow.

P.P.S. Where in WI are you? Will be on the lookout for a spinning TSX.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:37 PM
8th Gear

I also had a recent snow experience, but my experience was great. I live up a very steep hill and the TSX didn't hesitate climbing it. Before this I had a Jetta and *had* to get snow tires to make it home...so far, not necessary in the TSX (but keep in mind this is only one snow experience to date). Btw, to compare conditions, we also had light, fluffy snow and a layer of ice underneath.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Invest money on a snow tire like the Nokian :P
Old 11-30-2003, 07:49 PM
5th Gear

I'm up in Appleton, WI. Last Friday we had sleet and blowing snow. The roads were fine but the bridges were all frozen. The first bridge I hit (before I knew they were slick) was on a curve. As I started to slide, the skid control kicked in and I believe it saved me. After I got off the bridge, I saw 2 cars hadn't been so lucky, and both were in the ditch.

So far, the car seems to get along fine. It may need help when the snow gets deeper, but I made it through winters with my BMW 323i without snow tires the past 2 winters.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man didn't realize there was this many people from wisconsin around here

Anyway I was driving around milwaukee Friday but didn't really run into any snow that caused me problems. Hit a frozen bridge but I saw it coming......spun then anyways because I was bored :P . Both sides of the car had a nice layer of ice after driving through it though
Old 12-02-2003, 12:45 AM
fhwagads

Yeah Im from Milwaukee. I was kinda hopeing that it was just some wierd snow. I couldnt believe that my old 94 saturn had better traction than the tsx. The tsx on dry flat road with curves is awesome. But I have to say I LOVE the heated seats. Used them everyday and it helps tremendously. Nice and toasty butt keeps you very very happy when its 30 degrees outside. oh and for the record I know this was a very unfair race but my cousin wouldnt get off me till I raced him in his Infiniti G20. Both stock and auto. SMOKED! lol It was over befor it started.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SaraWI
...It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here. ...
havent heard that expression b4...i cringed trying to picture it
Old 12-02-2003, 01:54 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SaraWI
It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here.
I though it was "cast-iron bra".
Old 12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by STL
I though it was "cast-iron bra".
Brass doesn't rust.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by tony4311
man didn't realize there was this many people from wisconsin around here ....
We need to arrange a meet (in the snow!)

Did I miss the snow? I didn't see any in Madison Seriously, though....Any weakness of this (or any) car in the snow is 100% due to the tires. Put some snows on and you should see a big difference.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Advanced

I'm another TSX owner in Wisconsin... just since this weekend though.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

I picked up some steel wheels and snows from Tire Rack for 600 bucks (205-60-16 Blizzak). They are going on tomorrow and by the looks of NY will get some more snow this week. I'll let you know how they do
Old 12-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

After yesterday's little ice/snow storm I have come to the conclusion that it's 90% driver and 10% tires. I looked out, noticed about 1/2 inch of snow on my road (which is not plowed by the town so it's not a good indication of the rest of the roads) and thought that it wasn't worth putting on the blizzaks just yet on my hybrid. I know the tires that are currently on the hybrid are bad in the snow because I used them last year. Anyway, it turns out that all the roads around my area where completely iced over. My gf and I kept running into traffic jams and witnessing 4WD cars/truck spinning out everywhere.... morons. So we keep taking side road after side road and watching people spin out everywhere. After 2 hours of this we decide to head home and laughed at the stupidity of people driving in the snow.

I was a big fan of snow tires (still am) but no longer associate the value that they bring. I would say in the past, that it was 60% driver and 40% tire... that changed yesterday.

Granted, the majority of the people are not great drivers in the snow so the difference a snow tire will make is huge... more like 40% driver and 60% tire.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Race Director

So, based on these observations the Tsx isn't good in the snow at all? That's one of the reason I bought the Tsx is cause it's a FWD car, maybe I should've gotten a 4wd car instead.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 AM
The Voice of Reason

I have Dunlop Winter Sport M2s and equipped with snow tires the TSX is much better in the snow than the 98% of cars, including AWDs and SUVs, that aren't equipped with snow tires.

I'll give the nod to my Volvo with snow tires over my TSX with snow tires, though, but either one is clearly better than 98% of the other traffic.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Instructor

I was a bit dismayed as well the first time I had my TSX in the snow ('bout 3-4 weeks ago). A bit of research turned up that the stock rubber, in a word, sucks. Looked into several tires that were rated much better overall, finally settled on the Continental ContiExtremeContact (mostly 'cause I got a $250 dollar trade in on the michellins by going with them). Difference in the snow was night-n-day. I imagine with a good snow/ice tire, the winter driving would be even better. As it is, my TSX is now about as good as my 4Runner in the snow.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by bob shiftright
I have Dunlop Winter Sport M2s and equipped with snow tires the TSX is much better in the snow than the 98% of cars, including AWDs and SUVs, that aren't equipped with snow tires.
My wife's TSX and my Mercedes C230 both have Dunlop M2s on. Both cars are fine in the snow and the Dunlops handle very well in the dry weather, and are also pretty quiet.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:16 PM
10th Gear

This car is great in the SNOW

I live in CANADA, the great white north! I have Micheline All Seasons on my TSX. It has been snowing steady for 2 days now. My TSX is great in the snow traction is great. I think it is more the driver than the car!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Race Director

Re: This car is great in the SNOW

Originally posted by ayrton
I live in CANADA, the great white north! I have Micheline All Seasons on my TSX. It has been snowing steady for 2 days now. My TSX is great in the snow traction is great. I think it is more the driver than the car!
are those michelins the tires that are included on the Tsx when you buy it?
Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Advanced

The TSX handles much better than my 00 civic SI did in the snow so Im happy.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mines great. And half the roads by me are pure ice at the moment. Supposed to snow on top of that soon.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll have to keep an eye out for TSX's on my way the next time I fly out of Milwaukee...
Anways...drove in snow a few weeks ago and had no problems, she handled like a champ
She even does great at our work parking lot, it's been iced over for the past few weeks. No complaints about the stock tires here...though I will look for a cheaper alternative once they wear out.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Race Director

yeah it snowed here today in chicagoland, had to drive in the snow, not bad and handled well in the snow. of course i didn't drive fast either. the only time when it felt like it slipped was when i turned left a little too fast, but i wasn't paying attention of the VSA light came on or not. how do u know when VSA kicks in???
Old 01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know the VSA is kicking on when the VSA light flashes at ya. If your not sure where that is, just turn the VSA off and you'll see the triangle in question, it flashes when it's working. Were getting dumped on at the moment and on the way home I turned mine off. It seems to have a hard time turning in deep snow, wants to push bad. You still have the ABS and traction control, it just seemed to turn better with the VSA off.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:52 AM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
So, based on these observations the Tsx isn't good in the snow at all? That's one of the reason I bought the Tsx is cause it's a FWD car, maybe I should've gotten a 4wd car instead.
Here are a few points.

First, get a decent pair of snow tires. Any 4 season tire will be worth sh!t in snow. If you want the best tires for very harsh winter, get the Nokian Hakka-2 Studded (I doubt you would need tires this aggressive). With good winter tires, your tsx will handle like a champ.

Second, drivers are pretty much the faulty party in winter driving. For the first few snow falls, people are usually not comfortable driving in snow. It takes time to get used to the feel of a car on snow. Once you go through a few days of snow, you learn not to be as aggressive as summer driving (for example, do not accelerate in a curve when driving on loose snow).

Also, it's obvious if the person who just got a TSX and had a Civic (as an example) will not feel comfortable since the car is heavier (more inertia) and therefore will use wider tires. The car will not be as agile as the Civic in snow.

I own a Mazda Protege and a TSX and I can say that the Mazda is much more comfortable in snow but the TSX is still a great car for winter. Ask people who drive more than 4 months in real snow, the TSX is more than adequate for winter driving.

I would feel much less comfortable driving a big ass SUV in winter than my TSX (the SUV gives a false feeling of security). Big SUV take forever to stop in slippery surfaces.

just my

Warmest regards

Luc
Montreal, Quebec