TSX secret admirer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
He told me he I was the ONLY ONE FOR HIM!
He is a slut. He says that to all MTs.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
:wtf:

Old 09-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ricecake
YOU TOO?!?!!!!11 Domn, you're killing me...
Old 09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by ricecake

and @ this thread
Old 09-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by domn

Then what the hell am I doing wrong? My wheels are covered in brake dust even after taking a quick 2 minute trip to the variety store?
I dunno are you picky or what? the brake dust from TSX is almost like nothing comparing to Volvo, BMW, MB... etc. A lot of bimmer owner used to clean their rim once a day! They can make your silver rim turn black in 1 day! not just a thin layer of brake dust. I have changed my pad to pbr deluxe which generate a lot less dust but then the stopping power on my 328i is worst than my tsx now. Well, I still like the brake feel on TSX or even my old lude than my bmw with the stock pad. but yes... I hate everything on my bmw after I have my tsx!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helicobacter Pylori
I'm the only one hating the brake
i m backing u up dood...
Old 09-14-2004, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
How tall are you?
I tried adjusting the wheels and everthing. Still too close.

I am 6'2" with disproportionally long legs.

Damn!
Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sol-tsx
I've never, ever had a problem with the brakes on my TSX, even in emergency stops. I agree with the others above who say it's the tires. The OEM Michelins are crap.

I've never had a problem with the TSX's stopping power, and I really like the brake feel (Accord brakes are too sensitive for my taste). In the one or two cases where I really had to stomp on the brakes in my TSX, the ABS kicked in (on dry pavement).

I feel a tire upgrade would improve braking distance by a noticable/significant amount.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Hoth
Just imagine you were driving 70 mph on the high way, other people in Volvo T5, BMW 3, Audi 1.8T, Subaru on the highway are driving at the same speed. All of you saw an obstacle at the same time. All of you slammed on the brakes at the same time.
First, I agree with the others that the most reasonable upgrade is tires. There's no way a modern Acura can't lock up the OEM tires. Thus, as pointed out, you're not brake-limited, you're traction-limited.

Also, in your above hypothetical, what will make even more difference than sheer braking power is:
1) reaction time: no way a group of freeway drivers all slam their brakes on at the same time. If you're alert, you'll more than make up for a 20ft difference. How often do you cover 20ft at 70mph? Like once every .5 second? So a half second reaction time diff makes a big diff in real world braking.

2) braking style. I read a study that the average driver does not know how to use ABS brakes properly, especially if steering is needed during panic braking. Basically, most people are afraid of locking up the brakes, so they don't do what is needed, which is to stomp on it like you want to put it through the floor. And if most people need to steer during a panic stop, they generally reduce brake pressure, which again is not correct with ABS.

So besides buying new tires, your second-best investment would be a 3 day Bondurant driving class. EVERYONE thinks they're a better driver than they really are. Only when you do a high performance driving school do you realize how much room for improvement there is.

By the way, IMO you should think twice about your list of desired mods (brembos, lightweight hood, trunk, battery, titanium exhaust, etc.). I mean, the stock TSX is a big step up from your Passat in terms of chassis refinement. Of course, I could see upgrading the wheels/tires, but I'd think twice before doing the more exotic stuff. You already have an S2000; when you want true high performance driving, don't pour huge $$ into the TSX, just drive the S2000! It's an incredible car, especially the '04!

Or just sell both cars and get an M3. I love the TSX, but an M3....
Old 09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
10th Gear

Dude, of course this hypothetical case means all other conditions include driver reation time remain the same. Otherwise this comparison just won't work.

M3 is tempting. It is really tempting. Another two years right? I think I can wait.

Also, in your above hypothetical, what will make even more difference than sheer braking power is:
1) reaction time: no way a group of freeway drivers all slam their brakes on at the same time. If you're alert, you'll more than make up for a 20ft difference. How often do you cover 20ft at 70mph? Like once every .5 second? So a half second reaction time diff makes a big diff in real world braking........................................... ...............................................
..................Or just sell both cars and get an M3. I love the TSX, but an M3.... [/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by acoga
First, I agree with the others that the most reasonable upgrade is tires. 1) reaction time: no way a group of freeway drivers all slam their brakes on at the same time. If you're alert, you'll more than make up for a 20ft difference. How often do you cover 20ft at 70mph? Like once every .5 second? So a half second reaction time diff makes a big diff in real world braking.
And are you driving behind the 3-series? Because if you are, and it's a new one, it'll have the LED lights, which will turn on faster and make up for the deficit in braking in the TSX.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supraken
I'm with you..... everytime when I brake a little hard, it feels like the forward momentum decrease too slowly or car is not going to stop in time..... and when I tested the brakes on TSX loaner , I stomped on the brake from 40mph and it didn't slow down the wheels/car enough so that the tires will make a difference....no ABS kick in, no loss of traction with tires.... just not enough braking power....

I'm sure some better tires are needed too tho....

Yes, it's just your feeling. But the car is designed that way. It's designed so that it resists nose-diving when the brake pedal is hammered... giving you the feeling that the car's not stopping right!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Brakes stopped me from nailing a guy who made a illegal right on a red.