dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sup Kewl, long time no troll

j/k, how's it going man?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Domn. I actually visit quite often. This site seems to be great even for news of other cars coming down the road. No pun intended!

Things are A-OK. I am pretty psyched that coming for the 2005 model year, Saab will be offering a retro-fit for an MP3 hookup (in the form of an AUX input). What Apple and BMW did with the iPod and 3 Series is pretty cool. Hopefully the Saab interface will allow controlling my MP3 player through the wheel controls.

A couple of weeks ago, I got my baby up to 140 on a straight-a-way highway and oh boy was she smooth! First time ever, I took any car to that speed (even my CL-S). Not that I plan to do it that often, but it is nice to know the car feels as comfortable and stable at that speed as it does doing 55.

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by domn
Sup Kewl, long time no troll
domn is on today!

hey Kewl Please rip into someone today Our resident Euro-fans have been too kind to the noobs lately

How's your car been? Done any advanced calculus on the dash lately?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcg878
How's your car been? Done any advanced calculus on the dash lately?
Yep, I had to keep track of the TSX's I blew by and tried to keep up with me!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 93Kewl
Hey Benth.....you could always go the route I did.....take a look at the Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan. If you are even considering a Passat, you owe it to yourself to take a look.
I actually did drive the 9-3 and it struck me as boring. Perhaps I just don't know anything about cars!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by germanconvert
I actually did drive the 9-3 and it struck me as boring. Perhaps I just don't know anything about cars!
I don't know what model you drove (2.0t vs 2.0T) but I can tell you that the Saab's turbo and stiff suspension makes it just as exciting to drive as a TSX. I don't drive stick so I can't comment on shifting - although I realize that the TSX has one of the smoothest shifters out there.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Not to cause even more confusion, but what about the new Subaru Legacy GT? Of course you will pay full sticker, but still- it's not a trashy as it used to be, in fact its not bad looking at all.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:51 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 93Kewl
I don't know what model you drove (2.0t vs 2.0T) but I can tell you that the Saab's turbo and stiff suspension makes it just as exciting to drive as a TSX. I don't drive stick so I can't comment on shifting - although I realize that the TSX has one of the smoothest shifters out there.
Must have been the "t".
Old 06-25-2004, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Age of owners

I can't believe that... I am 24 years old and I think that I am pretty young to own that kind of car. I know that there is many young drivers that have parents with a lot of money to buy them such cars but I hope it is not the majority. I don't know how bad it is now but I can tell you that where I come from I don't see that many TSX on the road and the typical driver is definitely not that young...

Typical young drivers where I come from buy Civics or maybe RSX but that is it... Damn!

Too refer to the age of the board reader is not really acurate neither as I don't expect older people to read this. As well many of the board member may not be owners of TSX.

I am paying my car myself, and I really think that if parents can buy TSX to their 16 years old childs now I really think that there is too much money in this world!

Old 06-25-2004, 10:58 AM
8th Gear

Not to cause even more confusion, but what about the new Subaru Legacy GT? Of course you will pay full sticker, but still- it's not a trashy as it used to be, in fact its not bad looking at all.
Well I have been anxious to see and drive this but I have practically been stalking my local dealer waiting for a manual to show up. I am pretty sure they are sick of me by now.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Value is a relative thing. In several more months when you don't have to pay almost full sticker for the TSX, maybe, but with the incentives VW has been offering this year that actually make the V6 Passat less expensive than the TSX the choice was easy for me. Had the TSX been closer to its invoice the choice would have been more difficult. It may be a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

HOW DARE YOU BRING SEMANTICS INTO THIS?????

joking aside, most people can get their cars to a little above invoice. you just need some good bargaining skills (see other threads for more info on that). I paid a little under $26k for mine, and that included destination, wheel locks and mud guards ($28k OTD with large CA reg fees and 7.75% tax rate, that's a pretty good deal!).

VWs.......watch out for the maintenance ahead. everyone i've known has issues with theirs, especially with the electronics. like markpintx said:
there must be a good reason for the incentives, hmmmm?

Originally Posted by benth
Now my only remaining hope is that the TSX can attract the same class of lady...
probably a step up if anything. yes!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
"BMW owners are twice as likely as other motorists to believe they dress more fashionably than most people. Fewer Beamer owners prefer making things from scratch; for them buying ready-made products is more likely."
yuppies..... :sqnteek:

love some of what bmw does, but can't stand their drivers. i'm hoping my rep as a bmw driver hater will spread throughout the nation by the time i die....i'm guessing at the hands of a bmw driver.

now i just have to work my rep for my disdain of mb drivers.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:54 PM
8th Gear

This might be the weekend! I need to move around some of my buckets and then I will be ready to go.. I won't be eating lunch for a few months but what the hell!

If only my Integra wasn't burning a quart of oil a month I wouldn't need anything for a few more years, but as it is...

Hope the ROI is worth it!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

This might be the weekend! I need to move around some of my buckets and then I will be ready to go.. I won't be eating lunch for a few months but what the hell!

If only my Integra wasn't burning a quart of oil a month I wouldn't need anything for a few more years, but as it is...

Hope the ROI is worth it!
Don't mean to butt in, but maybe you should hold off on this. Sounds like you are ready to have a panic attack over this! Having a hard time parting with the money? Take a deep breath- this won't be the last car you ever buy.

Sounds like your back is up against the wall with the Integra- were you taking it in for regular service checkups?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:25 PM
8th Gear

heh. You're a funny guy. My friends do think I am a bit of a jackass for taking so long to make this decision, but it's my money not theirs.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Instructor

I think you should choose a car which suit your lifestyle; something you can afford over the long run not a car that you think your age fit into.

ie) if you do a lot of highway driving, get a car with good mileage/tank
ie) if you have a huge family, get a van
Old 06-25-2004, 08:31 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the market for a new car and I am really struggling to find the right match. I have owned Acuras before (2, in fact) and so I have a certain comfort level with them but there are a couple things about the TSX that are holding me back. First is that I could spend a bit more and get a lot more power in a car. I am not a tuner so while I appreciate that the TSX may have great potential I am not really interested in getting into mods. A few more K can get you a lot more car these days!

Second, and probably more important, is that during my ownership of this next car I will pass the 40 mark and I honestly don't like the idea of seeing a 25 year-old everytime I look behind the wheel of every other TSX I meet on the road. No offense to the younger members of the board, but the TSX does seem to be targeted at a younger crowd and I am not sure I fit into that crowed anymore.

I love the looks of the car and it handles pretty well, it's just this emotional hump I am trying to get over. If I were buying a second car, the TSX would be a slam dunk, but as an adult, the TSX just doesn't seem like the more mature choice. The TL is an amazing looking car but just bigger than I am comfortable with. Perhaps I am overthinking this and I should just look elsewhere, but there is something soothing about the TSX that makes it difficult.

Anyway, has anyone else gone through this same dilema?
Do me a favor... dont buy Acura. People that dont realize clear value and how perfect this car is for a well off 19 year old or a comfortable car for a mature adult piss me off... the beauty of the tsx is its abiltiy to be a fun to drive toy when you want it to be, and a nice entry level luxury vehicle when you want to be a little more spohisticated. take ur mature ass to an infiniti, audi, or bmw dealer go buy a G35, A4 or 3 Seires... u dont deserve a TSX.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 PM

A long time ago; I'd say about a year ago, I made a post expressing my disgust with people on this board coming on here asking wether or not they should buy the TSX. Most members agreed with me and I'm sorry that I can't find it, I ran a search. I think I need to devise such a post that someone should make a sticky, unfortunatly I work 24/7 now-a-days and dont have time to get that detailed... so heres a short version... You are on a board full of TSX owners, some of us have issues but for the most part you are with a bunch of enthusiasts of course we're gonna recommend our cars. In addition to that all it takes is 10 mintutes to read around the board and see the general consensus. Car Talk is one noob after another asking if they should buy the TSX and its getting on my nerves. If you can't see the obvious value of this vehicle over ALL of its compteition, or that type of value isn't what you seek in your next vehicle, then take ur ass over to the bmw/audi/infiniti boards. its getting freakin annoying.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
A long time ago; I'd say about a year ago, I made a post expressing my disgust with people on this board coming on here asking wether or not they should buy the TSX. Most members agreed with me and I'm sorry that I can't find it, I ran a search. I think I need to devise such a post that someone should make a sticky, unfortunatly I work 24/7 now-a-days and dont have time to get that detailed... so heres a short version... You are on a board full of TSX owners, some of us have issues but for the most part you are with a bunch of enthusiasts of course we're gonna recommend our cars. In addition to that all it takes is 10 mintutes to read around the board and see the general consensus. Car Talk is one noob after another asking if they should buy the TSX and its getting on my nerves. If you can't see the obvious value of this vehicle over ALL of its compteition, or that type of value isn't what you seek in your next vehicle, then take ur ass over to the bmw/audi/infiniti boards. its getting freakin annoying.
Looks like someone's self-worth is a little to wrapped up in the car they drive. Get over yourself.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Racer

I made a post expressing my disgust with people on this board coming on here asking wether or not they should buy the TSX
Get over it. That's the beauty of these forums. They are not just for the "gee-whiz I love my car owners" but also for people that seek opinions, facts, play devil's advocate, etc.

Plus, it says something about the TSX that it is an accessible car for YOUNG adults. However, some may want to move past that to autos that take a little bit more than a "well off" Mommy and Daddy can buy for a kid.

When I was a kid, everybody wanted a Camaro, TransAM, or Monte Carlo. They were the cars to have. At this point in my life, I don't think that's the type of car I would want to drive.

I think the original poster wanted some input about whether the car had a "kiddie" stigma.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Advanced

the TSX is a good car but for its value there are small things that Acura left out, the trim is luxurious but if you have AT the doors doesn't automatically locks when you put it in drive plus the US version doesn't have DRLs compared to the Canadian models
Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
"The median age of a BMW 300 series owner is 40.9 years and their median household income is $54,000. BMW owners are twice as likely as other motorists to believe they dress more fashionably than most people. Fewer Beamer owners prefer making things from scratch; for them buying ready-made products is more likely. And they broadly interpret the Bible, says Mediamark."

I think it's pretty darn interesting if BMW 3-Series buyers earn less than Honda Accord buyers!
That is very fascinating. This is a pure WAG, but I'd wager that the mean income of BMW owners is higher than for Accords. It's not that surprising that there would be a number of lower-income people buying BMW. The BMW marque is so symbolic of "wealth" that many buyers buy beyond their means or spend a disproportionate amount of their income to get one because of what they perceive it says about them.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:57 AM

Looks like someone's self-worth is a little to wrapped up in the car they drive. Get over yourself.
:noob: Coming on here to find out people's oppinions and the pros and cons of the TSX yes makes sense. Dont get me wrong. But how many people are gonna ask; is this right for me? I mean people come on here and ask about Eibach Springs; after a while people start saying.. hey use the search function figure it out. Why is this not hte case with everyone asking the same question, is this for me? My point is like damn do some reasearch and figure it out... u want owner's oppinions... all you have to do is search and see what people say about thier cars. Oh one guy has a problem with tranny's one guy has a problem with rattles, another guy has nothing wrong since the day they bought it... all it takes is a bit of reading before you understand the pros and cons the strenghts and weaknesses of the car... but how many times have you heard hte question "hey guys should i buy a 3 series an a4 a is300 or an g35" i mean is acura-tsx.com here to evaluate everyone's needs for a vehicle? and if so, id like to make a suggestion... lets make a seperate Forum for it.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

have fun when your car is in the shop several times a year :fingerfawk:
Old 06-26-2004, 03:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
have fun when your car is in the shop several times a year :fingerfawk:
If I had a Golf, Jetta or Bug I might be worried. Passats, as they are manufactured in Germany have a much higher reliability record- not as high as Acura, but not bad either.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

I've been reading over this thread and have seen a lot of references to demographics. The cost of a car is always going to figure into the mix when a company decides who to direct their advertising towards. Buy a car because you like it, not because it's marketed towards you - big difference
Old 07-04-2004, 10:45 AM
ric
Safety Car

I am in the market for a new car and I am really struggling to find the right match. I have owned Acuras before (2, in fact) and so I have a certain comfort level with them but there are a couple things about the TSX that are holding me back. First is that I could spend a bit more and get a lot more power in a car. I am not a tuner so while I appreciate that the TSX may have great potential I am not really interested in getting into mods. A few more K can get you a lot more car these days!

Second, and probably more important, is that during my ownership of this next car I will pass the 40 mark and I honestly don't like the idea of seeing a 25 year-old everytime I look behind the wheel of every other TSX I meet on the road. No offense to the younger members of the board, but the TSX does seem to be targeted at a younger crowd and I am not sure I fit into that crowed anymore.

I love the looks of the car and it handles pretty well, it's just this emotional hump I am trying to get over. If I were buying a second car, the TSX would be a slam dunk, but as an adult, the TSX just doesn't seem like the more mature choice. The TL is an amazing looking car but just bigger than I am comfortable with. Perhaps I am overthinking this and I should just look elsewhere, but there is something soothing about the TSX that makes it difficult.

Anyway, has anyone else gone through this same dilema?
Well - haven't you raised a pretty firestorm, judging from the responses to date on this thread? Let me add some flames....... I'm 55, and I don't give a damn whether the car is "age appropriate"........ what does that mean, anyway? At 55 I'm supposed to retire to the driver's bench of a Lincoln Town Car???!

By the demographics of this website that I have seen to date, I am way too old, way too rich and way too educated to be driving a TSX. Geez, what a shame! It is small, nimble, gas-thrifty, understatedly elegant, comfortable for driving around the city and comfortable enough for freeway driving (Philadlephia, the eastern part of Pennsylvania and the entire state of New Jersey). Who cares if I am underbuying my income and/or my age? Is some Demographic Cop going to hove into my rear view mirror to sieze my car and force me into an Audi A6 so that I won't offend?

Seriously, I considered the TL (too big for me, and the handling felt soft on my test drive) , the Volvo s40 2004.5 (a tank albiet a small and well-made one), the BMW (whatever it might be as a car, it is now also such a tiresome cliche) and the G35, (sweet, but a bit big for me) and refused to look at a Jetta/Passat until VW tends to their electrical problems (I don't care where they make them.....). Yep, you can get more power for not much more money (to that end, look at that slab-sided new Chrysler sedan that starts at $24,000 and is clearly intended to revive the American Land Yacht....) but I am past the stage where chipping at stoplites excites my heart (it used to, I will confess; maybe that is the age talking after all.......)

as for the subthread that has been running on the relative sartorial splendor of BMW drivers vs Acura drivers, I buy my shirts from a custom shirtmaker in the suburbs of Philadelphia and my suits and slacks from an internet tailor in Bangcock, Thailand. I don't give a damn whether my wardrobe is trendy or stylish, but rather that it fits, works, is of good cloth and wears like iron while fitting my atypical form. Geez, the same thinking that went into selecting my TSX - matrix of quality/cut/cost.

As for the car's chickflick potential, I am happily married, my wife is retired from her job as a senior PR executive and, before that, a cage dancer at a notorious bar in New Jersey (not where we met...). She buys a Toyota once a decade whether she needs to or not. Her son does drive a 4/drive Toyota Tundra, but he is 6'-7", teaches basketball and skiing and lives in Steamboat Springs Colorado. I don't think either of them cares what people think of them in their respective vehicles, either........

If ya like the car when you drive it and you think you are going to enjoy it past the age of 40, buy it. If folks have a problem with someone over 40 having identifiable fun in a "young person's car", they can deal with it with their therapist.......... Sorry for the rant, man, but I'm not of an age that I apologize to anyone for any life decision I make, much less my choice in cars......................
Old 07-04-2004, 11:21 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
I suggest a BMW 330i if it has to be in the same size range as the TSX.
That's exactly what i was thinking!
Old 07-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ric
By the demographics of this website that I have seen to date, I am way too old, way too rich and way too educated to be driving a TSX. Geez, what a shame!
lol ... I think you forgot "way too humble"
Old 07-04-2004, 03:50 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcg878
lol ... I think you forgot "way too humble"
oops. I did.

But really - afraid of looking too old for the car?
Old 07-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ric
But really - afraid of looking too old for the car?
Oh I agree completely. But Acura was writing about me when they picked their target demographic
Old 07-04-2004, 09:31 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by majormojo
That is very fascinating. This is a pure WAG, but I'd wager that the mean income of BMW owners is higher than for Accords. It's not that surprising that there would be a number of lower-income people buying BMW. The BMW marque is so symbolic of "wealth" that many buyers buy beyond their means or spend a disproportionate amount of their income to get one because of what they perceive it says about them.
.....lending at least some credence to the folklore that "a guy will buy a BMW if he has a small penis". Or is otherwise insecure. Problem is BMWs really are darn good cars, typical owner or lessee's insecurity or not! I'd buy an M5 in a flash if it were a "Hyundai"!
Old 07-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm Bling Bling !

No offense, but can anyone explain to me what difference age makes in the decision of what car to purchase?

I have read through this thread and still don't get it. If by your late 30s (seemingly past adolescence?) you are concerned about the age of strangers on the road driving the same car or what others think of you at your age in your car, what does this say about you?
Old 07-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by drk8ngl
No offense, but can anyone explain to me what difference age makes in the decision of what car to purchase?

I have read through this thread and still don't get it. If by your late 30s (seemingly past adolescence?) you are concerned about the age of strangers on the road driving the same car or what others think of you at your age in your car, what does this say about you?
I think it's status symbol vs. practicality...
Old 07-05-2004, 07:43 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I think it's status symbol vs. practicality...
D'ya mean that if you are under 30 it's a status symbol and if you're over 30 it's practical? Or is it the reverse? An inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ric
D'ya mean that if you are under 30 it's a status symbol and if you're over 30 it's practical? Or is it the reverse? An inquiring mind wants to know.
Oh no...not at all..

I just think that some people buy their cars based on where they are in life...
Example: high school/college, a civic. After getting first job, a TSX. Then a TL..then an RL...etc. I saw this alot at the company I used to work for...as our engineering managers progressed down the chain, they drive a more expensive car each time they get promoted to the next level...if that makes any sense..

Then there are those who buys cars based on practicality or what they want out of a car. Kinda like why pay for an expensive car when you can pay less for a car that has everything that you need without all the extra stuff that you'll rarely use.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:32 PM
10th Gear

Oh no...not at all..

I just think that some people buy their cars based on where they are in life...
Example: high school/college, a civic. After getting first job, a TSX. Then a TL..then an RL...etc. I saw this alot at the company I used to work for...as our engineering managers progressed down the chain, they drive a more expensive car each time they get promoted to the next level...if that makes any sense..

Then there are those who buys cars based on practicality or what they want out of a car. Kinda like why pay for an expensive car when you can pay less for a car that has everything that you need without all the extra stuff that you'll rarely use.
Well I have read a few reviews here in Australia, and one stated that the Euro/TSX would be a great upgrade from something like a Civic, how right they are, I own a 2001 Honda Civic Sports and am getting my Arctic Blue Euro today I am 27 btw, so I guess I fit the TSX/Euro profile, and yes I am getting the Spoiler and Tinted Windows so I guess I really am the target market of Honda/Acura !
Old 07-07-2004, 08:37 AM
The Voice of Reason

I saw this alot at the company I used to work for...as our engineering managers progressed down the chain, they drive a more expensive car each time they get promoted to the next level...if that makes any sense.
It makes a lotta sense if the company is paying for the car! (If my current company was, I'd be driving that M5!) Otherwise, it depends on the company's culture. My boss drives a Camry, and my boss's boss drives a New Beetle. (The corporate themes are "conservative", "efficient" and "frugal".) If I showed up driving an S-Class, everyone would think I'm getting paid too much. (Which I am, but there's absolutely no point to advertising that fact!)