TSX Passener Airbag Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:05 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Passener Airbag Indicator

I have a new 2006 TSX and I noticed that when I start the car the passenger airbag indicator flashes "off" then goes out. Is this normal, I never noticed it until the other day and I swear it didn't start happening until recently. Other than that the car is awesome
Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Does it come on and go off right when you start up the car?

Do you have anything sitting on the front passenger seat?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 AM
6th Gear

Yes it comes on and goes right off when I start up the car and I don't have anything on the front seat. I tried to check it by placing my briefcase on the seat to see if it would stay on but it did not.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by HomeyC
Yes it comes on and goes right off when I start up the car and I don't have anything on the front seat. I tried to check it by placing my briefcase on the seat to see if it would stay on but it did not.
Pretty sure that's normal, then. Check your manual, I think it's just doing a "check" when the car is started up.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:40 AM
6th Gear

I did check the manual but I never noticed it coming on before so I was concerned. I probably just never noticed it, but if someone could verify this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HomeyC
I did check the manual but I never noticed it coming on before so I was concerned. I probably just never noticed it, but if someone could verify this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
My '06 does this as well. The light probably comes on temporarily so that you can always verify that the bulb and wiring is okay.

Your briefcase is probably too light to trip the sensors. I think the weight sensor is actually in the seat back anyway. This is why the seat heater for the passenger side does not include the seat back.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:56 AM
6th Gear

Thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Wonder why Acura made it that way? On my other car the light stay lit to indicate the air bag is off when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. At least you know the damn thing is off.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Brody
Wonder why Acura made it that way? On my other car the light stay lit to indicate the air bag is off when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. At least you know the damn thing is off.
I'm glad it doesn't stay on when the airbag is off. To me, it would be annoying to have a light on all the time, not to mention a light on, to me, means something is wrong.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I'm glad it doesn't stay on when the airbag is off. To me, it would be annoying to have a light on all the time, not to mention a light on, to me, means something is wrong.
The light DOES stay on when the airbag is off. The point of the system is to show you that the airbag will not deploy when someone who weighs little (assumption of a child) is sitting in the passenger seat. It's a wonderful safety system that will probably save kids lives in certain crashes. Most cars require a key to turn it off, but this is not automatic and somewhat useless.

It will not turn the passenger airbag off when the seat is empty, thus the absence of the light. My only gripe about the system (albeit a small one) is that there is no heater in the passenger seat back.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BulldogHockey
The light DOES stay on when the airbag is off. The point of the system is to show you that the airbag will not deploy when someone who weighs little (assumption of a child) is sitting in the passenger seat. It's a wonderful safety system that will probably save kids lives in certain crashes. Most cars require a key to turn it off, but this is not automatic and somewhat useless.

It will not turn the passenger airbag off when the seat is empty, thus the absence of the light. My only gripe about the system (albeit a small one) is that there is no heater in the passenger seat back.
Guess I never noticed it because my light is never on (I'm usually the only one in the car, and never have kids in the car).
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Guess I never noticed it because my light is never on (I'm usually the only one in the car, and never have kids in the car).
I did try it out once with our daughter in the driveway just for kicks. It works.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 AM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same here with my 06!! so i guess this is normal
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I put my backpack on the seat, the light stays lit. I'm assuming that the weight sensor thinks that my backpack is a child car seat.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by studville
If I put my backpack on the seat, the light stays lit. I'm assuming that the weight sensor thinks that my backpack is a child car seat.
How heavy is your backpack? Mine never triggers it.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well let me rephrase... when I have my backpack full of books. Under normal circumstances, my half-full backpack does not trigger it. As for the weight of my backpack when it's full. I'd say around 25-35 lbs maybe even more. I carry around a lot off big books on some study nights.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Why not turn the air bag off when the front seat is empty. To keep it active makes no sense. Just more money for the collision shops and we wonder why insurance rates keep rising.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression the airbag would be off if no one was sitting there. Since that should be a given, the light only needs to light up when a small passenger is in the front seat. I guess I should