TSX meets Radio Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX meets Radio Flyer

Saturday afternoon, as my wife and kids were preparing to leave for a trip to the grocery store, I ran inside to grab the phone. When I came out again, my wife gave me a funny look and said..."Your going to be mad..." My kids had dragged the wagon behind the new PWP TSX and as the garage door opened it caught the wagon and threw it against the rear bumper. It left 3 large scratches and one chip in the bumper that went through to the fiberglass.

Less the 1000 miles... .

I tried wetsanding, applying primer and then touchup paint but the PWP touchup paint is not so good with covering grey primer. and now I have silver scratches. Looks like I'll need to take it to a professional to see what they can do with it.

Someone will ask for pictures but I really don't even want to see it again until it's fixed. Just makes me sick to look at it.

Hopefully, it can be repaired instead of repainted. Well see.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that sucks!

save the receipt and when the kids get older just get the money back from them...

good luck with getting it fixed...i heard PWP is the hardest color to try and re-match...
Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmathew34
that sucks!

save the receipt and when the kids get older just get the money back from them...

Joking, I assume?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn kids
Old 08-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Undercover Slacker

yikes!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
Joking, I assume?
No
Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too heard that PWP is very difficult to match. However, my sister has an 03' PWP Honda Accord and when she got rearended, the body shop got a new bumper and repainted it. As hard as I try to tell the difference, I can't. The paint is seamless.

I had an accident with my TSX and the new bumper doesn't match all that well, unfortunately. Mine is a SSM. Best of luck with the repairs.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmathew34
that sucks!

Sorry to hear the bad news tho man. The first incident is always the worst.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider it "Break in Love". My version was a windshield chip.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you explained to your kid what "grounded for life" means?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the sentiments. I really shouldn't be so bummed about it. Just a car after all and a few scratches in the paint can be dealt with in time.
I should never have left the wagon in the garage. (Moved to a new location to protect the innocent).
My father has someone at a local dealership who uses an airbrush to remove scratches and scrapes like this. ( basically sand, prime, airbrush and clear the scratch using factory touchup paint. I might give that a shot first as it is inexpensive. If that doesn't work out, I'll need to call a good paint shop and get a quote on getting the bumper repainted.

Note to any PWP owners out there. If you are faced with attempting to repair a small scratch that is down to the metal..be sure to use coat of WHITE primer on it before attempting the touchup paint. Don't pull a stupid and use the gray as the PWP touchup paint goes on more like a clear and will leave you with a nice silver color on your white car.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
Have you explained to your kid what "grounded for life" means?
It was really my fault for leaving the wagon in the garage. And my son is only 2 so what can ya do? Later that same day he got into my wife's purse and had lipstick all over the carpet....at least that came out with a bit of effort
Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Acura Paint Pen is a two sided touch up paint pen that dispenses white paint from one side and clear paint (coat?) from the other. You may want to invest in one and have it available/handy. I bought one but haven't had to use it yet. You can find them on e-bay.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
The Acura Paint Pen is a two sided touch up paint pen that dispenses white paint from one side and clear paint (coat?) from the other. You may want to invest in one and have it available/handy. I bought one but haven't had to use it yet. You can find them on e-bay.
Actually, the touchup paint I purchased from the dealership was in a pen/brush combo setup although there was no clear. I was really shocked at how watery the stuff was. My wife has a dark metallic gray on the Odyssey and I had no problems with it when used to fix a small scratch on the left quarter panel. Perhaps I got a bad batch? Any others out there with PWP touchup paint from Acura? How do you find the consistency of the stuff?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
it's not the kids fault...whoever hit the button to open/close the garage door is at fault ;-) Should have checked to make sure everything was clear ;-)
Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
it's not the kids fault...whoever hit the button to open/close the garage door is at fault ;-) Should have checked to make sure everything was clear ;-)
Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Seriously, how are you gonna go and blame a 2 year old?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
PWP Wh0r3

Originally Posted by star_rob
Actually, the touchup paint I purchased from the dealership was in a pen/brush combo setup although there was no clear. I was really shocked at how watery the stuff was. My wife has a dark metallic gray on the Odyssey and I had no problems with it when used to fix a small scratch on the left quarter panel. Perhaps I got a bad batch? Any others out there with PWP touchup paint from Acura? How do you find the consistency of the stuff?

Thanks,
Robert
i bought a touch up from dealership, one side pwp paint, one side clear coat. doesn't really help when the scratch is at the side, cos you have to push down the pen to get the paint out to the brush area, since i have to apply the touch up horizontally, when i push the pen, the paint will drop to the floor instead of to the brush. unless i take out the bumper and reposition it., stuipd acura....

i painted my scratches with white, didn't match, i went sanded the area and gonna try and squeese out some paint from the pen and just use a brush like painting a model. then the clear coat, then wet sand again.

sorry to hear about your scratches, i know how u feel, i scratched my PWP around 4.5km
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Cruisin'

After a lot of research and not wanting to wait for a Langka order to strip of the Acura OEM paint, I went to a local store and purchased a bottle of laquer thinner and the Duplicolor touchup paint (was marked Taffeda white for hondas). I proceeded to mask of the area around my 6 scratches and chips.

I used a small art brush to brush to apply the thinner and was able to remove most of the touchup paint I had previously applied. I rinsed the area thoroughly, removed the masking and then proceeded to put down two base coats of the duplicolor. After that I have added two coats of the acura OEM paint. It looks much better but still a little darker then the surrounding paint. That is kind of strange to me because the duplicolor i put on was noticably brighter then the surrounding paint.

Once it has been built up enough, I'll do a bit of wetsanding and finish off with ScratchX and then wax. The chips will allways be there and unfortunatly, I will always see them. Hopefully, once the process is finished, It won't be so bad.

At least the silver scratches are gone. Once it is complete, I'll try to post pictures so you can all laugh at my paint repair skills.