TSX Leather question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Leather question.

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone knows how scratch resistant the leather is in the first gen TSX's? I have a 70lb black lab, and I'm planning on taking her to the vet in my car next week. Anyway's, I'm going to put down a blanket over the leather, but she tends to be kind of hyper, and I'm afraid of what might happen if her paws were to hit the leather. I'm super anal about my car, and I know that scratched ebony leather would look like crap. Anyway's, I was just wondernig if anyone has had any problems with things like boxes, dogs, etc. scratching their leather.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 08-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Racer

my roommate has a rottie that weighs about 120lbs. i've put a fleece blanket down every time she has been in my car and it has been fine. she isnt very hyper but she does move around.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Racer

First thing, I was told that this is not real leather. I have a 3 pound POM who has sharp nails and I always use a towel to cover the leather with. There were some incidents where I didn't have the towel and my leather seat did not show any scratch marks. It looks like it holds up good but I would still use the towel to protect it.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Some of it is real leather, some of it isn't. I wouldn't want to risk scratching it either way. Maybe close the blanket behind the folding seats so it it cant move. (open the folding seat a little, insert blanket, close seat) And either close the bottom in the doors a little or weigh it down on the floor with something. Definately would want to keep that blanket covering the seat as best I could. Or just give the dog a fistful of sleeping pills prior to the trip...
Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I have two 45 pound dogs.
pits.

and I wouldn't let one roam around in the car.
my girl would stay put, but my boy would cause a scene.

so...

I put a crate in the backseat, sitting on a blanket,
and put the dogs in the crate.

yes, both of them if need be.

works perfect.

no need to worry either.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Cruisin'

I have a 60 pound black lab as well, his name is Zilla. He's small for a lab but he's hyper, although well-trained at times.

If I ever have to take him places, I usually fold down the back seats (as if you were trying to use the trunk pass-through) and make him sit on that. Of course I still put down towels. But if he scratches it he scratches what you can only see through the trunk, and that's not that big of a deal.

I'd just be careful that he doesn't get stuck back in the trunk, or things in the trunk are cleaned out so they don't squash your dog.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:56 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got an 80 pound black lab (rock) and hes good in my CL, i put a blanket in the back, but he was looking out the window and got one of his claws in the padding stuff underneath the window sill thing, and theres a teeny mark there, just becareful.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If/when I get a dog, I plan on getting something like this: http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...A2331A0A0.aspx
Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Racer

I have something very similar to what LMT linked to and it works great. I also throw an old comforter on top to #1 give the dogs a softer place to sit and #2 it helps attract all of the fur that gets nervously shaken off. BTW, I've got 50# and 95# mutts and they are fine back there. One always tries to climb up over the center armrest but other than that (and snout marks on the windows), no problem at all in the car.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
JDM Addict

well, the way I see it, the surface of the seats isn't the only thing to worry about.

the door panels, the backs of the front seats, the center console armrest, etc. etc.
are all in possible jeopardy of being scratched with a dog in the car.

do you care?
if not, then just get a blanket or whatever for the seat.

if so, then put the dog in a crate in the backseat.

just do like I do and get a crate big enough and airy enough so the dog can
breathe perfectly well and have room to move around, lay down, etc.

plus the crate will tend to keep the hair loss most confined to the crate, and not
your car's backseat area.

I never put crates in my cars for dogs until I bought $30,000 - $40,000 cars.
now I use the crates.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Here's the definitive leather thread on this forum:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=leather+seats

As has already been stated put something over the seats where the dog is and they'll be fine.

Id be more concerned about the dog putting his paw thru the NAV screen.