TSX cavorting in snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:25 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX cavorting in snow and ice

Got TSX last Wednesday. Thought it'd be *fun* to drive it to work today (53 miles each way, Interstate mostly) in a handy-dandy snowstorm. Not blizzard of northern clime proportions, but enough ice, packed snow, and general poor conditions to cause every knucklehead out there to strut their stuff. I love a challenge!

Still in break-in period so I had to keep speeds low, under 90 (ha ha, how about under 55 mph, and mostly 30 to 40mph).

Car tracked nice and straight, no surprises, one tiny moment of almost imperceptible loss of grip going over icy bridge area. Stopped a few times in traffic at stoplight, on uphill grade, with ice and snowpack under tires. Nothing dramatic upon resuming movement, although in one case where it was really bad the TCS and VSS made its presence known.

Wipers wiped, heater heated, seat heaters cooked, defroster defrosted, radio kept us entertained, and knuckleheads were adroitly avoided fortunately. Crud accumulation pretty significant, but came off splash guards with minimal effort. Car wash just before getting home made it look spiffy again

Final analysis post-trip through winter wonderland: this car can handle moderate snow and ice quite nicely. Tires (OEM) at least adequate. Just thought I'd post this for folks who might be concerned about TSX as a winter car. Your mileage may vary; should not be taken in conjunction with depressants or before swimming. Use no hooks.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:47 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have TCS?

i thought only VSA?

but thanks for ur input!
i'll be driving in a lot of snow next month..
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Love Heated Seats!

This is my second winter in Canada's north. It is currently -30C. The car performed great last winter in temperatures as low as -42C (~-40F). I used to let it idle for 15 minutes in the morning to warm up. Not a great idea, but -40C is mighty cold!

I used the stock tires last winter and stayed out of the ditch all winter. I just installed Blizzaks. They seem to be fine. I'll know more in the next few months.

BTW, any more Northerners out there? I'm at 60 degrees north.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Snow is coming to town any days now, glad to hear someone's experience with the TSX in snow. Now I can face the weather in my car with some confidences. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Gentlemen Racer

Originally Posted by TSXMiata
This is my second winter in Canada's north. It is currently -30C. The car performed great last winter in temperatures as low as -42C (~-40F). I used to let it idle for 15 minutes in the morning to warm up. Not a great idea, but -40C is mighty cold!

I used the stock tires last winter and stayed out of the ditch all winter. I just installed Blizzaks. They seem to be fine. I'll know more in the next few months.

Whereabouts are you?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by NeoChaser
we have TCS?

i thought only VSA?

but thanks for ur input!
i'll be driving in a lot of snow next month..
VSA includes both a traction control system and a stability control. I set off the TCS part all the time - stability control only very rarely.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Boy Genius

Whitehorse?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcg878
VSA includes both a traction control system and a stability control. I set off the TCS part all the time - stability control only very rarely.
Dumb question for those w/o a TSX... how do you know when you set off which? Is there a light for each?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I was in about 3 inches a couple weeks ago in the dutchess/westchester county area of NY. I know its not much snow, but the T handled it flawlessly, not a moment of concern. Was on the Taconic (tight and windy) for an hour and a half and it was smooth the whole way. The stock tires felt pretty confident, but i'm sure snows would be a improvement.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Dumb question for those w/o a TSX... how do you know when you set off which? Is there a light for each?

No just a light for VSA. But they work togther so I think setting off one autpmatically sets off the other.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by domn
No just a light for VSA. But they work togther so I think setting off one autpmatically sets off the other.
I guess you really can't make a distinction. What I meant to say is that I will not infrequently hit the gas too hard from a stop in wet weather and cause the wheels to slip - VSA will then kick in, the light will come on, and it'll cut power to the spinning wheel (as a traction control system). Very infrequently I'll f**k up in a slippery turn, causing the car to understeer too much, and the VSA will kick in by braking the inside front wheel, the light will go on, and the car will be jerked back to it's relative intended path (as a stability control system does).
Old 11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it gets cold enough that there's a time where there's no point in freezing your ass for nothing.

60 Degrees North? Where the hell are you? Inuvik?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:41 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcg878
I guess you really can't make a distinction. What I meant to say is that I will not infrequently hit the gas too hard from a stop in wet weather and cause the wheels to slip - VSA will then kick in, the light will come on, and it'll cut power to the spinning wheel (as a traction control system). Very infrequently I'll f**k up in a slippery turn, causing the car to understeer too much, and the VSA will kick in by braking the inside front wheel, the light will go on, and the car will be jerked back to it's relative intended path (as a stability control system does).

Ahhhhhh! thx thx
Old 11-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Love Heated Seats!

I'm in Fort Smith, NT. Closest dealer is 1400 km away, in Edmonton. You need an Acura when your're this far away. Don't want to have too many problems!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You gotta be the northernmost TSX driver!