TSX or 325xi - Which has more room?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX or 325xi - Which has more room?

Curiosuty from another thread led me to www.acura.com where I clicked on the TSX, then compared the interior space to the BMW 325xi. When I looked at the TSX, I thought it felt more spacious in the backseat and about the same in the front. Here is what the comparison showed.

Interior Dimensions:
......................................TSX.....325x i...Advantage
Headroom (Front).........37.8.....38.4........BMW
Headroom (Rear)..........37.3.....37.5........BMW
Legroom (Front)............42.4....41.4........Acura
Legroom (Rear).............34.2....34.4........BMW
Shoulder Room (Front)..55.4....54.4........Acura
Shoulder Room (Rear)...53.5....54.2........BMW

Anyone else surprised? 4 to 2 in terms of interior space? I know I was...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

tsx still bests the 325 by.3 in overall dimensions if you add them up

yes i have my calculator handy. finals tomorrow
Old 12-11-2003, 12:34 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those standard specs for the bmw probably dont include a moonroof, which will reduce headroom significatly.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro

Originally posted by accsueprstar
tsx still bests the 325 by.3 in overall dimensions if you add them up

yes i have my calculator handy. finals tomorrow
I was just about to do that myself, thanks for saving me the time! Nice Pics too, I think that lip spoiler looks great and should replace that tacky factory spoiler. Nice looking car!
Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 AM
More On

Just sit in them, B-D.

(You can learn a lot from that "Emperor's New Clothes" story.)
Old 12-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro

Originally posted by fdl
Those standard specs for the bmw probably dont include a moonroof, which will reduce headroom significatly.
Those numbers were off of Acura's website, so I am sure they would have used the worst number available. After all, they did forget to list "Power Passenger Seat" as even an option (because they don't have it) and only listed Power "Drivers" Seat. Ahhh, the games they play...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Re: TSX or 325xi - Which has more room?

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Curiosuty from another thread led me to www.acura.com where I clicked on the TSX, then compared the interior space to the BMW 325xi. When I looked at the TSX, I thought it felt more spacious in the backseat and about the same in the front. Here is what the comparison showed.

Interior Dimensions:
......................................TSX.....325x i...Advantage
Headroom (Front).........37.8.....38.4........BMW
Headroom (Rear)..........37.3.....37.5........BMW
Legroom (Front)............42.4....41.4........Acura
Legroom (Rear).............34.2....34.4........BMW
Shoulder Room (Front)..55.4....54.4........Acura
Shoulder Room (Rear)...53.5....54.2........BMW

Anyone else surprised? 4 to 2 in terms of interior space? I know I was...
TSX is bigger overall than 325 front and back. I dont know about your number, but I sat in both.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
Just sit in them, B-D.

(You can learn a lot from that "Emperor's New Clothes" story.)
I have, many times, that's where the "Is anyone else surprised, I am" came from...
Old 12-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Instructor

I used to drive a 2000 323i which is the same size as a 2003 325 and I would have to say the difference is size is negligable at best. They both have adequate room in the front and enough room for shorter people in the back. I actually feel a lot more comfortable in the BMW or the TSX than my wifes ML320.

I could not tell much of a difference between the BMW and the TSX and I am 6'3'' and 240lbs.

On the other hand in a suburban or a yukon my head hits the roof.
I wanted a porsche and couldnt fit in the carrera or the boxter. Then I came back to reality and got the TSX. The BMW just had to many problems once it hit around 50k miles.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:18 AM
More On

I have, many times, that's where the "Is anyone else surprised, I am" came from...
Thank you, B-D.

Another lesson, I guess, in the limitations of stats. We wanna look at them, but we don't wanna take them as the last word.

When the stats conflict with the obvious, go with the obvious. Even morons know that.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro

Re: Re: TSX or 325xi - Which has more room?

Originally posted by jumpper
TSX is bigger overall than 325 front and back. I dont know about your number, but I sat in both.
LOL, "My Number?"

Those are factory specs for both cars pulled from ACURA's own website, not something I made up. And according to those numbers, the BMW should be bigger in 4 of those 6 areas?
Old 12-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Registered AssHat

Aren't those stats also just a function of the rear legroom when the seats are pushed forward? Thus if the BMW has a longer track, wouldn't it have bigger numbers, but the same "usable" space?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Those are surprising numbers. My friend's 330i feels smaller in the back than my TSX (where I admittedly do not spend much time). I assume those would be the same dimensions as the 325xi??

"People can come up with statistics to prove anything, 14% of all people know that." - HJS

Good luck on your finals accsueprstar
Old 12-11-2003, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: TSX or 325xi - Which has more room?

LOL, "My Number?"

Those are factory specs for both cars pulled from ACURA's own website, not something I made up. And according to those numbers, the BMW should be bigger in 4 of those 6 areas?
HA HA, I didnt mean that you made up your own number. I meant the number that you posted. To me, 325 is very similar in size with IS300 (I drove it for a year), which is very small for my taste. I felt alot more room in TSX.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro

Thank you, B-D.

Another lesson, I guess, in the limitations of stats. We wanna look at them, but we don't wanna take them as the last word.

When the stats conflict with the obvious, go with the obvious. Even morons know that.
Unless those stats help the TSX, in which case they are rock-solid information collected by the worlds foremost experts and should be held in the highest regard, never to be questioned. You might be the worst one on this board larch... At least you make me laugh though.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
More On

Unless those stats help the TSX, in which case they are rock-solid information collected by the worlds foremost experts and should be held in the highest regard, never to be questioned. You might be the worst one on this board larch... At least you make me laugh though.
Thanks for the superlative, B-D, even though it's bad.

But actually I plead innocent. I love stats and I use them a lot, but I also love the phenomenon of how they're sometimes misleading or even flat-out wrong -- I truly enjoy the irony of it, and I love seeing others of my basic ilk making asses of themselves with statistics. Hell, I've done it myself a few thousand times, but I've been cured for some time.

For example, you don't see me going around quoting those stellar 0-60 figures that we've sometimes seen for the TSX -- even though some of them have been obtained first-hand by yours truly, in person. Why not? Because I see that everybody who knows what they're talking about keeps saying the TSX just isn't a very fast car off the line, and it's people who if anything should be biased toward the TSX, and I figure that's a far better index than any stats, including ones that I witness, so I stuff the stats.

About the interior room stats: As I've said before (a few times), this is the one part of car specs that has always struck me as not very reliable, be it about TSX or any other car. I've wondered if part of the problem might be what Lung just said, but I didn't worry about it too much anyway, because of what I said in that "Emperor's New Clothes" post: Just sit in the damn cars, and you'll see. Also, any number of readily-available sources give subjective impressions of the rear comfort, and, unlike the specs, I've always found those subjective impressions reliable and helpful.

You can criticize me for a lot of things -- for not knowing as much about cars as a lot of other people here, for having bad taste in cars, and for being a general moron. But you can't criticize me for mis-using stats to pump up the TSX.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro

But you can't criticize me for mis-using stats to pump up the TSX.
If only I had time to use the "search" feature... I'm just playin' with you larch, but you do have the TSX fever worse than anyone else on this board. I am beginning to wonder if you think ANY car on the planet is better than the TSX? If you got to choose 3 cars for free, no strings attached, what would they be?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
For example, you don't see me going around quoting those stellar 0-60 figures that we've sometimes seen for the TSX -- even though some of them have been obtained first-hand by yours truly, in person.
Sorry to get off topic here but there's 2 things I'd like you explain when you have some time Larch. First of course is the differences between the TL and TL-S and secoondly and even more importantly is how you obtained a stellar 0-60 time from your Auto TSX. I mean the best I could do on my stopwatch was a 9 sec pass with VSA on. How on earth could you have gone faster? or is it a big joke that I hav'nt picked up on yet?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:52 AM
More On

Originally posted by domn
.....the best I could do on my stopwatch was a 9 sec pass with VSA on. How on earth could you have gone faster? or is it a big joke that I hav'nt picked up on yet?
Well, another reason I don't talk about it is that I know it's not very believable. As I've said, I wonder if my particular TSX is some kind of mutant -- I mean, such great 0-60 times, NO rattles...... I dunno, I used to play the violin a little, and doing a 0-60 in an AT is kinda like playing a violin, except it's with your foot. Oh BTW I never tried it except when the tank was almost empty, and when I was on a diet.

About what 3 cars I'd pick for free, no strings attached:

(1) TSX 5AT CG w Nav
(2) TSX 6MT ABP w Nav
(3) totalled TSX off of e-Bay, to really get down to things

So you can't say I'm just biased toward the car that I have.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro

Originally posted by domn
Sorry to get off topic here but there's 2 things I'd like you explain when you have some time Larch. First of course is the differences between the TL and TL-S and secoondly and even more importantly is how you obtained a stellar 0-60 time from your Auto TSX. I mean the best I could do on my stopwatch was a 9 sec pass with VSA on. How on earth could you have gone faster? or is it a big joke that I hav'nt picked up on yet?
Because his TSX is magic! Larch is a good guy, but he lives somewhere inbetween fantasy and reality when it comes to the TSX. Larch believes in God and God is a TSX...
Old 12-11-2003, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
About what 3 cars I'd pick for free, no strings attached:

(1) TSX 5AT CG w Nav
(2) TSX 6MT ABP w Nav
(3) totalled TSX off of e-Bay, to really get down to things

And I believe him too.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'