Tranny swap??? FROM 5AT to 6Ma

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny swap??? FROM 5AT to 6Ma

Hey everybody... i have this dilemma.. i love my tsx however there is one thing that i regret doing ,... buying an auto.. im not saying that its bad im just saying that i wish it was manual because i like manual better.. well anyways what i want to know is if its possible to have the trans swaped out for a manual through acura ??? ( i dont want to void the warranty )
Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you'd be better off just trading in your AT for an MT (whole car, not tranny).
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jtraha
i love my tsx however there is one thing that i regret doing ,... buying an auto..

We've had this discussion before and think its possible. But....

Prepare to lose anywhere from 3-5K going either route.
I'm in the same boat. I've already explored the possibility of trading in the whole car for an MT and it would set me back 4-5K (CAD) for a car with similar mileage. I don't think swapping out the tranny would be any cheaper.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
I think you'd be better off just trading in your AT for an MT (whole car, not tranny).

Really its not worth doing it.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

We've had this discussion before and think its possible. But....

Prepare to lose anywhere from 3-5K going either route.
I'm in the same boat. I've already explored the possibility of trading in the whole car for an MT and it would set me back 4-5K (CAD) for a car with similar mileage. I don't think swapping out the tranny would be any cheaper.
That experience with the Turbo Porsche has left a mark.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Instructor

been asked...general consensus is just trade up...car is too new to be doing that for a decent price...finding a low to middle miles tranny a ecu matching immobilizer and key...do like i'm doing and look in your area for a similar tsx with what you want you may get lucky and break even
Old 01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
That experience with the Turbo Porsche has left a mark.

No, I looked into it a few months back. Found a 2004 PWP/Ebony 6MT with slighly more km's than mine. Dealer wanted me to give him 5K for the trade.

They still have the car.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Racer

Could be done.

My dad has done it before on a 1990 Honda Accord.

TSX is more complicated so I wouldnt even try it.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Instructor

I have done this to a couple civics and integras before but the parts are cheap. Because the TSX is so new the parts are going to cost to much and the wiring is to involved.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Slippy maybe...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
No, I looked into it a few months back. Found a 2004 PWP/Ebony 6MT with slighly more km's than mine. Dealer wanted me to give him 5K for the trade.
My dealer just got back to me regarding trading my 05 5AT for an 05 6MT of nearly the same mileage but without the skirt kit. Even with them giving me a really good value on my trade, I'd have to up my finance term to 60 months from my 48 just to keep the payments the same. That's just insane.

I'm sticking with my 5AT until I buy another car in a few years.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm a llama :(

I'm never making the mistake of buying an auto again, that's for sure...
Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Pro

i dont know why everyone really cares about a manual...
it's an extra headache for no reason, always switching from first to second, then back, arrrgh, whats the point.
especially in a place where you got a stop sign every second street and traffic on every corner.

Auto > * !!!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Tintin
it's an extra headache for no reason, always switching from first to second, then back, arrrgh, whats the point.
especially in a place where you got a stop sign every second street and traffic on every corner.

Auto > * !!!!!
If you don't know, ain't nobody gonna explain it to you, and the point is on top of your head.

It's not a headache for me, it's pure driving bliss.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM

Auto > * !!!!!
Hush. I bet you don't know how to drive a stick.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I was thinking awhile ago about swapping Tranny too. But since all Auto tranny in Acura line-up are 5sp (TSX, TL, and RL), it would be nice to swap something like those 6sp DSG AT from Audi, or 7sp AT from M-Benz. I test drove the A3 2.0T before I got the TSX, the gearbox was soooo smooth, so as the engine. Also the the M-B 7sp AT accelerate faster than their 6MT, it's crazy~!! I know I know, it is impossible, nor it is necessary to extract all the power from the TSX engine, but it would be fun for all our AT driver~!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Motohip
Hush. I bet you don't know how to drive a stick.
i do know how to drive stick, it is driving a car, not conducting open heart surgery.
there is really nothing to it.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 PM

I'd only get another automatic if the car only came as an AT AND it had a powerful engine AND paddle shifters and/or sport mode.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Overlord

i do know how to drive stick, it is driving a car, not conducting open heart surgery.
there is really nothing to it.
No kidding. Some people feel like they've just discovered fire or invented the wheel when they learn to drive stick, and then they stand up and beat their chest as though they are a far superior specimen to anyone who happens to own an auto.

If this were a Corvette or NSX forum, then yes, I'd probably mock people who bought an auto. But it ain't. We're talking about a small 4-cyl luxury car, and for most people, not having to stomp the clutch every 10 seconds in rush hour traffic constitutes a luxury feature.

MTs are not for everyone, especially the majority of commuters. I wouldn't want a stick for a daily driver (again.) But it is a lot of fun for a weekend car. So until I can afford a weekend car in addition to my daily driver, I'll be sticking to automatics. And you can bet that my MT weekend car will be a far sight more performance-oriented than a TSX.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Motohip
I'd only get another automatic if the car only came as an AT AND it had a powerful engine AND paddle shifters and/or sport mode.
For me, I won't get this car because I only want manual with a clutch.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
No kidding. Some people feel like they've just discovered fire or invented the wheel when they learn to drive stick, and then they stand up and beat their chest as though they are a far superior specimen to anyone who happens to own an auto.

If this were a Corvette or NSX forum, then yes, I'd probably mock people who bought an auto. But it ain't. We're talking about a small 4-cyl luxury car, and for most people, not having to stomp the clutch every 10 seconds in rush hour traffic constitutes a luxury feature.

MTs are not for everyone, especially the majority of commuters. I wouldn't want a stick for a daily driver (again.) But it is a lot of fun for a weekend car. So until I can afford a weekend car in addition to my daily driver, I'll be sticking to automatics. And you can bet that my MT weekend car will be a far sight more performance-oriented than a TSX.
I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's because we're older. I had a manual when I was younger...been there, done that.

Yep, if I get a real sports car, manual is the way to go. But come on, you guys talk about the neccessity of a MT to get the performance on a heavy, 4 cyl., 4-door sedan that can't get to 60mph within 7secs. Give it a rest. I'm not saying you can't enjoy your MT, but don't act like the AT spoils the car.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:14 PM

I don't know...I'd get an auto on a luxury car, but on a 4 cyl car it's so underpowered to have an auto. I'd probably get it if I lived in an area with endless trafic though.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Pro

i couldn't agree with Beoshingus and themayor more.

If i can afford a weekend car, then of course i would get a really nice MT sports car. but since i can barley afford A car, and i need one to do all kinds of driving, i am better off getting something that wont make me curse every time i see a stop sign or traffic.

i do understand that MT is fun, and that honda/acura makes a great gear box...to each their own. i guess.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That sure didn't keep me from converting my AT Accord into an MT, and then buying a 6MT TSX. Despite me living in my car. 6MT for me is pure bliss.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by sauceman
That sure didn't keep me from converting my AT Accord into an MT, and then buying a 6MT TSX. Despite me living in my car. 6MT for me is pure bliss.
I was directing my comments only to those who are of the mindset that the concept of an AT on this car is worthless.

Although, I will say that I find the idea of converting a car from AT to MT a bit extreme...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM

I was directing my comments only to those who are of the mindset that the concept of an AT on this car is worthless.

Although, I will say that I find the idea of converting a car from AT to MT a bit extreme...
Is that what you got from my post? Seriously?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Got Ramen?

you're better off trading or selling your car and for a 6MT model. not worth the trouble and money to convert your ride. plus selling a converted car down the line is another issue.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

THANKS ALOT TO EVERYONE WHO PUT IN THIER

i appreciate it ..
Old 02-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

True, true. I think AT is a good thing on most any car. I would hate to know that an old man enthusiast would have to be deprived of the pleasures of driving the T because of his arthritis preventing him from toying with the clutch much.

As for the tranny swap, I've done it on my Accord, actually I paid a pretty skilled tech to do the job, and it was rather well done, but still pretty complicated, and you always have secondary problems afterwards anyways. If you want it done perfectly, it will cost you so much it will be prohobitive: You'd have to change the wiring, ECU as well as the instrument cluster. It's greatly preferable to have a totalled car beside yours to be able to scavenge it for parts, because you're gonna need A LOT of them.

I'm sure things would be even more complicated with the TSX.