Trade in your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Tried trading it in for a 05 s2000. Dealer gave me 17,500 tops which is lower than i expected for a 04 6MT non-navi with 45k miles. They actually said they could offer more if it was 5AT... They didn't budge on the S2000 so I just bought one private party. When the car arrives I'm selling my TSX.
Did you try Carmax too?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A Cake On
Would you consider going American? There are lots of cars like the Taurus, Impala, Malibu that depreciate like a mother, that would be pretty cheap to own. If you're going to be in a pinch, that might work out for you.
Yea, no I wont be THAT hard up for cash, but thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Senor Rockt:

I'm 10 months into parenthood and it's been great. But I have a few things I'd like to make you aware of to help your decision:
#1: No matter what, don't consider getting pregnant to be easy. For some couples it can take months or years, so planning NOW isn't necessarily the best thing (in terms of finances). Best of luck to you and your wife on getting pregnant, but be aware that it isn't an automatic. So, dont make a drastic financial move based on the "thought" of getting pregnant.
#2: For the first while, babies are cheap. Very cheap. Diapers + boobjuice = happy baby. The baby furniture, trust me, does NOT have to be expensive stuff. Used or consignment store stuff is great here, as long as the stuff is in good shape. They outgrow things so quickly that it doesn't make sense to buy new-everything.
#3: The first real big ongoing expense with kids is child care. I'm not sure on the rates in your area, or what your wife makes, but we just found a daycare provider for $20/day, which is $17 less than the average daycare rate. Just had to look around a bit. So, the wife can go back to work and still contribute to the family income (and not just have it all passed over to the daycare!). Depending on your situation, whether your wife goes back to work or not can likely dictate a course of action for the car situation: If she goes back to work, keep the two safe cars. If she stays home, you sell the TSX or the Accord and buy a $5-$10K point A-B car. Or, as Dom and other have said, the BEST option is to aggressively pay down the car(s?) now, before any buns are in the oven, so that the 3 years remaining on the payments can maybe be shrunk down to 1.5 or 2. By the time your wife gets pregnant, incubates the baby for 9 months, and then has the decision to return to work or not... you will likely have paid off quite a bit of that car.
#4: When you have a new baby around, trust me, you won't be spending much/any money on yourselves (ie: little or no dinners at restaurants, no bar hopping, etc...). This translates into easier car payments, and a better sense of family. We really ntoiced a shift in our budget with the arrival of our daughter. I was STRESSED about money and had buyers' remorse for the TSX, but once the baby is here, everything falls into place and you adapt. Instead of a $60 tie, you buy a $30 tie. Instead of drinking 10 beers every Sat. night, you have a few every other Saturday night. You get what I mean...

I especially think what Dom said is right -- by trading/selling the TSX for the RL, you wouldn't really be putting yourself in any better a position. Take from the left and give to the right <-- this was bang on.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by llJrockll
Damn, that's pretty low. What dealer was this? And who much you pay for the S2K?
This was Acura Libertyville. They were not too welcome to my offer for their s2000 and request for trade in. By raw KBB numbers on trade in to trade in it should've been $4000. I offered $4750 + the TSX for their s2000 and they told me I was off by another $4250.

They wanted $26 or so for a 05 S2000 with 8k miles I just picked up a 04 S2000 with 28K miles for $20,400 after shipping.

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Did you try Carmax too?
I'm going to visit Carmax sometime this week. I just have superficial scuffs and some paint touch up work that I wanted to do before hand, but if they give me enough I'll just go ahead and sell it without going through the headache.

I'd love to give someone looking for this car a good deal, so I'll also try on the forums and won't gouge pricing.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

I'm bored with 05' too. Just had the 30K service (to the tune of $470!) but I really want to get a leftover 06' GTO before they are all gone. I see cars like mine, with similar mileage in the autotrader (but with auto's) for $21K-$23K. I still owe a little less than $21K and wonder if I would be better off waiting a year or should I just trade it before I get too upside-down.

Most of you think the 6-speed will be tougher to sell than the 5AT?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Yea 6MT is probably tougher to sell due to a niche community wanting to own a manual. most drivers are probably 24-35 year old women (my guess from what I've seen on the road).

I was in a 05 GTO over the weekend, that's a fast car. If you're looking for something fun it'll satisfy that thirst, especially in Florida!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
Senor Rockt:

I'm 10 months into parenthood and it's been great. But I have a few things I'd like to make you aware of to help your decision:
#1: No matter what, don't consider getting pregnant to be easy. For some couples it can take months or years, so planning NOW isn't necessarily the best thing (in terms of finances). Best of luck to you and your wife on getting pregnant, but be aware that it isn't an automatic. So, dont make a drastic financial move based on the "thought" of getting pregnant.
#2: For the first while, babies are cheap. Very cheap. Diapers + boobjuice = happy baby. The baby furniture, trust me, does NOT have to be expensive stuff. Used or consignment store stuff is great here, as long as the stuff is in good shape. They outgrow things so quickly that it doesn't make sense to buy new-everything.
#3: The first real big ongoing expense with kids is child care. I'm not sure on the rates in your area, or what your wife makes, but we just found a daycare provider for $20/day, which is $17 less than the average daycare rate. Just had to look around a bit. So, the wife can go back to work and still contribute to the family income (and not just have it all passed over to the daycare!). Depending on your situation, whether your wife goes back to work or not can likely dictate a course of action for the car situation: If she goes back to work, keep the two safe cars. If she stays home, you sell the TSX or the Accord and buy a $5-$10K point A-B car. Or, as Dom and other have said, the BEST option is to aggressively pay down the car(s?) now, before any buns are in the oven, so that the 3 years remaining on the payments can maybe be shrunk down to 1.5 or 2. By the time your wife gets pregnant, incubates the baby for 9 months, and then has the decision to return to work or not... you will likely have paid off quite a bit of that car.
#4: When you have a new baby around, trust me, you won't be spending much/any money on yourselves (ie: little or no dinners at restaurants, no bar hopping, etc...). This translates into easier car payments, and a better sense of family. We really ntoiced a shift in our budget with the arrival of our daughter. I was STRESSED about money and had buyers' remorse for the TSX, but once the baby is here, everything falls into place and you adapt. Instead of a $60 tie, you buy a $30 tie. Instead of drinking 10 beers every Sat. night, you have a few every other Saturday night. You get what I mean...

I especially think what Dom said is right -- by trading/selling the TSX for the RL, you wouldn't really be putting yourself in any better a position. Take from the left and give to the right <-- this was bang on.

All great points.

I especially like points 1 and 4.

I don't wish that on anyone but unfortunately I see and hear about all the time.

Instead of buying $100 jeans you settle for the $20 jeans at Costco.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
All great points.

I especially like points 1 and 4.

I don't wish that on anyone but unfortunately I see and hear about all the time.

Instead of buying $100 jeans you settle for the $20 jeans at Costco.

So its not always "one shot, one kill" huh?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt

Not always.

(unless you're drunk as hell and camping with the wife... and pop the air mattress...)

But yeah, seriosuly, it's not always the easiest thing to get pregnant. We have close friends who have been having unprotected sex for close to 11 years and have not once even had a pregnancy scare. I guess it's the water in his end of town... or whatever. LOL! They're currently seeking professional advice and fertility doctor stuff, and are having a fairly hard time with it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt

Always fun trying, though. You now have a decent excuse to get all the nookie you want. Take advantage now, before you have any kids.

"I know you don't want to tonight, but I'm doing this so we can help our family grow. Trust me, this is not just for fun..."