Tracking your TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracking your TSX

I know there are few who actually take their TSX to the track.

(Better than those "2fast 2furious" wannabe kids doing wannabe street racing and crashing into other cars.)

Anyways, anyone actually did damage to their TSX while tracking? If your TSX is a dedicated track car and have a commuter car, then I think it is pretty fun thing to do, but if your TSX is also a commuter car, why do you track it? Insurance won't cover it if something happens to it, and you end up taking the bill.

I'm assuming the typical response will be "You just gotta know how to drive." or "People who crash their cars on the track don't know how to drive and shouldn't be there."

OK, but then how do you know that you won't crash? Some douchebag who can't drive can clip you at a corner and send you flying into a wall.

Japan was famous for this. Some idiot will track their expensive car, which is also a commuter car, and then crash it, due to their fault or others fault. He would then drive it out of the track and crash it into a tree. Then the insurance take the bill.

BTW, this trend became popular in Japan at one time, so cops cracked down on it, and poor-ass racerboys got arrested.

I also knew a stupid kid who tracked his Celica GTS (spoiled high school kid) and crashed it. I asked him if he was OK. His response was, "I'm ok. But now I gotta call the insurance company." I told him that he was retarded. He called the insurance company anyways, and the claims adjuster just laughed at him for being an idiot.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't track my car but I have taken my bike. I'd be pretty apprehensive about taking my car simply because it is my only one and it's a bit on the pricey side to risk losing my entire investment for a bit of fun.

You're right though, if you're going to the track you have to assume that wrecking is a very real possibility. The extremes at which you are operating your vehicle are nothing at all like what's possible on the street. Even if you're a douche bag street racer, your first time on the track you'll be pushing your vehicle and more importantly, yourself 10 times further than you ever have before. Once you've been on a track you'll understand why "racing" on the street is the lamest thing ever.

And for what it's worth, at just about every single amateur track day, the only passing is on the straights. Your TSX will get eaten alive because it's strength lies in the corners and the second you try to make a move on some one there, you're black flagged and thrown out. It's just too risky to let a bunch of inexperienced idiots go diving into the corners two wide. A lot of the time the track will enforce a minimum following distance through turns even.

Don't get me wrong, track days are fun as hell. Just don't expect to actually be racing anyone other than yourself.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:46 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Hands up anyone who first thought that this thread was about actual tracking of your vehicle if it was lost or stolen or tracking-in-the-eyes-of-a-concerned-parent-type topic?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
detour

Originally Posted by cestmoi
Hands up anyone who first thought that this thread was about actual tracking of your vehicle if it was lost or stolen or tracking-in-the-eyes-of-a-concerned-parent-type topic?
thats what i thought too first glance at the thread topic
Old 02-03-2008, 05:21 PM
iVTEC no koe

Organized track events are about learning the limits of your car and improving your own driving skills safely in a closed road.

There are strict safety measures that organizers put in place to reduce driver and vehicle risks.

At the end of the day, it's safer for the driver and the general public that someone takes their car to the track instead of the streets. Why would you care whether or not people are risking their daily drivers?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way I'd do track as I don't trust other people, but AutoCross can be pretty fun. (not that I've taken my TSX out yet... or ever would, of course, seeing that I'm guessing Acura's warranty people wouldn't like it.......)

Subaru gave a free year membership to SCCA, so we took the WRX out a bunch of times. GREAT way to find out just what a car can do-- legally! Our regional chapter got access to a road course this next season, so we'll DEFINITELY be doing that!! .....Not in my car of course.... and certainly not to be acknowledged in writing.....
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

Check your insurance. My friend wrecked his EVO at the track and everything was covered.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
AutoX may be a better option. Lots of go and slow speeds, using mostly 1 gear, and a lot of turns. And you're taking turns on the course, rather than having another car right next to you. Watch out for the cones....wouldn't want to come home with orange bumpers.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
AutoX may be a better option. Lots of go and slow speeds, using mostly 1 gear, and a lot of turns. And you're taking turns on the course, rather than having another car right next to you. Watch out for the cones....wouldn't want to come home with orange bumpers.
I did this once when I had just bought my car. It was a lot of fun and I definitely learned a lot about how the car handles (or doesn't handle) in certain situations. I also learned a lot about drving with VSA, without VSA, in automatic (as I have a 5AT) and in sport shift mode.

The only reason I don't do it more often is I'm not into buying tires all the time.

I think I have some footage my dad shot of me doing the race. It's pretty pathetic (I don't claim to be a race car driver by any means). lol. If I find it/still have it, maybe I'll Youtube some of it for all to laugh at. lol