Tornado fuel saver

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado fuel saver

Has anyone installed a tornado fuel saver in their TSX or other car? I'm curious because living in california gas prices are outrageous. Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Either you guys don't know what I'm talking about or you guys don't have it installed.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

link?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:01 PM
8th Gear

Caveat Emptor

Caveat emptor... buyer beware!

The 'Tornado' is totally bogus, don't waste your money.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by boo2
Either you guys --> don't know what I'm talking <-- about or you guys don't have it installed.

Ok I'll go look it up.
It's an intake.
Fuel atomization? I am skeptical. If a bunch of you say it works, I might give it some more thought.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:53 AM
6MT Snob

Just say no.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

it's not a fuel atomization... it goes in the intake tube after your air filter... it's designed to maximize airflow through that tube by twirling the air (tornado effect).... if you want a mental picture of what one looks like... it's a round column (2 inches high) with turning vanes spaced out evenly. This piece goes inside the tube.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:in the voice of Bill & Ted:

Bogus, dude.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by DEVO
it's not a fuel atomization... it goes in the intake tube after your air filter... it's designed to maximize airflow through that tube by twirling the air (tornado effect).... if you want a mental picture of what one looks like... it's a round column (2 inches high) with turning vanes spaced out evenly. This piece goes inside the tube.
I'm just quoting from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/torfuelsav1.html

"It causes better fuel atomization, resulting in an increase of gas mileage anywhere from 7-24%."
Old 03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Pro

I guess the idea is to increase intake turbulence (and thus fuel mixing), but by the end of the compression stroke, most of the turbulence would have dissipated anyway. All you are left with is the pressure loss incurred due to the turning vanes blocking your intake. Bad idea. Luckily for them, there will always be idiots willing to buy stuff like this.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

the atomizer in your car is the fuel injection jet... if you can improve the jet then you get a better everything... if you are just squirting in liquid gas... well guess what, no device is goinig to help. So I wouldn't read the hype... which is misleading. It does "help (show me the numbers)" in ramming more air through the same size tube which can aid atomization.

people who buy this kind of gizmos are going to say yes it made a difference... they can "feel" the difference... show me the data to back it up. it's the pay to feel good syndrome (the higher the price the bigger the effect).
Old 03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by DEVO
...people who buy this kind of gizmos are going to say yes it made a difference... they can "feel" the difference... some me the data to back it up. it's the pay to feel good syndrome (the higher the price the bigger the effect).
I'll tell you first hand that it DOESN'T work. I bought one before I had common sense and I might as well have the $69 away.

By the way, if someone wants to buy it, I've still got it laying around somewhere. Just name your price.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:22 PM
DPZ
Advanced

If there were a way to improve fuel efficiency by that much at such minimal cost, don't you think the car companies would have done so already? Oh, that's right, they're probably part of some conspiracy with the oil companies etc.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys for your insight!!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Instructor

On the contrary, I use them in all of my vehicles and they do work to a degree. The better flow means you don't have to trounce on the gas as much and that's the secret to getting better gas mileage.
As at test I recently removed the one I have in my Jeep and drove for a week. It made the vehicle seem considerably less torquey. Because you're pressing the gas more to get the same performance you end up using more gas.
I put it back in and reset the ecu and the mileage increases by about 2-3 mpg. It's even better in the summer.

I put one in my TSX with a K&N drop in and I get much better low end torque. I haven't reset the ECU yet which is how you're going to see a difference and I feel the major reason many haven't seen the results as advertised.

Take it for what it's worth. I feel that our little 4 banger could use all of the torque it can get and a little better gas mileage won't hurt !
Old 03-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I'll believe this when someone puts it on a dyno or an independent group does a full fledge study.

IMO, if its so simple and cheap, why don't companies use it?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Pro

I just don't see how adding blockage to the intake path could ever lead to good things. More blockage=more pressure loss=less oxygen molecules entering the engine=less power.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
8th Gear

Yea, I liked them so much I bought the company

Originally posted by toddstuh
On the contrary, I use them in all of my vehicles and they do work to a degree. The better flow means you don't have to trounce on the gas as much and that's the secret to getting better gas mileage.
As at test I recently removed the one I have in my Jeep and drove for a week. It made the vehicle seem considerably less torquey. Because you're pressing the gas more to get the same performance you end up using more gas.
I put it back in and reset the ecu and the mileage increases by about 2-3 mpg. It's even better in the summer.

I put one in my TSX with a K&N drop in and I get much better low end torque. I haven't reset the ECU yet which is how you're going to see a difference and I feel the major reason many haven't seen the results as advertised.

Take it for what it's worth. I feel that our little 4 banger could use all of the torque it can get and a little better gas mileage won't hurt !
I call BS... gotta be a salesman for the Tornado.

The "Tornado Fuel Saver" has been checked out on a chasis dyno, under controlled conditions, and proven totally useless (except at separating fools from their money).
Old 03-25-2004, 10:32 PM
10th Gear

This same post has been occuring periodically on VWVortex for the past few years. Somebody always posts this and a long thread ensues. It seems funny that some guy comes up with a design that all the engineers at all of the car manufacturers have never thought of over the course of 100 years. I have heard of guys putting this device in turbocharged cars-before the turbo Well, people have to make a living.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Ok - I'll tell you what, I'm going to come by next week and remove the tornados from each of your vehicles for one day, and then you can tell me what day it was
Old 03-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

On the contrary, I use them in all of my vehicles and they do work to a degree. The better flow means you don't have to trounce on the gas as much and that's the secret to getting better gas mileage.....
You're probably just feeling that "syndrome" that DEVO was talking about. How can something that you stick in a pipe make the fluid flowing through the pipe go faster? It can't.

On top of that, fluid continuity and momentum conservation dictate that the turning produced by the "tornado" thing must come from somewhere. Where? The linear momentum (along the axis of the pipe) of the fluid. So overall, your air rushes in more slowly due to an extra viscous loss.

Just curious: Did you install these devices in the spring? That's the trick these "fuel economy booster" guys usually use.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Instructor

"On top of that, fluid continuity and momentum conservation dictate that the turning produced by the "tornado" thing must come from somewhere. Where? The linear momentum (along the axis of the pipe) of the fluid. So overall, your air rushes in more slowly due to an extra viscous loss. "

Duh !?
The vanes twist the air into the vortex , that's where the turning comes from.

It's called angular momentum. The same reason why an ice skater speeds up when they pull their arms in.
The center of any vortex is at a higher pressure (and speed) than the outside.
Why do you think a vortex is formed in a water drain ?
Why do you think tornados in nature have that distintive cone shape to them ?

The higher pressure is what's benefitting your engine.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

...Duh !?
The vanes twist the air into the vortex , that's where the turning comes from....
You're missing my point. Energy is lost in the transition from a "straight" to a "twisting" flow. Period. There is friction between the vanes and the air flowing past them. In order for this device to give you a benefit, it has to violate the second law of thermodynamics (which it does not do).

The answer to both your questions is: fluid continuity, momentum conservation, and energy conservation. Fluid mechanics is a very well-defined science (if you can manage to solve the PDEs).
Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro

The center of any vortex is at a higher pressure (and speed) than the outside.

The higher pressure is what's benefitting your engine. [/B]
Well, you sort of got one thing right, but almost everything else you said isn't. In a vortex, the cirumferential velocity is indeed highest near the center (this is called the vortex 'core'). However, this means that the static pressure must be lowest at the core (you aren't doing any work on the fluid, so the total pressure can only decrease). Bernoulli proves this. In addition, Crocco's Theorem says that total pressure loss is proportion to vorticity; the more 'swirl' you add to flow, the more pressure you lose. This 'Tornado' piece of crap adds viscous losses, as Clutch said, then you get vorticity losses as well (from Crocco's).

There are only a few things you can do to improve intake performance; make the fluid go slower (i.e. bigger diameter), make the walls as smooth as possible, and keep the air as cool as possible. The aforementioned device does none of these things.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: Yea, I liked them so much I bought the company

Originally posted by SiHawk
I call BS... gotta be a salesman for the Tornado.

The "Tornado Fuel Saver" has been checked out on a chasis dyno, under controlled conditions, and proven totally useless (except at separating fools from their money).

Originally posted by TSXDDS
It seems funny that some guy comes up with a design that all the engineers at all of the car manufacturers have never thought of over the course of 100 years
Old 03-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Conceptually yes...energy is lost but it's accelerated by the vortex the twist/swirling is where the resulting horsepower comes from in the combustion chambers.
If you stir a drink are the precipitates dissolved more quickly ?
Yes and why ?
The Twist !

This is one of the fundamental concepts when it comes to generating horsepower.
Look at Hemi Engines which BMW and Mercedes have been using for years. Its the basis of performance from multivalve engines.

No one is forcing you to buy it...I'm not trying to persuade anyone here to. I'm merely conveying my experiences with tornados in my 4 vehicles and they've all worked well for me.

Here's peoples feedback on another vortex generator....

I purchased two Turbonators™ and definitely noticed the increase in power. I placed one in my Chrysler Sebring and immediately noticed the increase in power. It was more than I expected. I am already noticing the improved gas mileage. I like them so much, I am ordering two more for my brothers. Now, it feels like my car has a turbo charger." - Dr. Brian Coyle (San Jose, CA)

"I have a 1997 Chevy 350 Pick-up. The first time I checked my miles per tank after installing The Turbonator™, I recorded an increase of 72 miles. I couldn't believe it so I checked it several times after that and to my astonishment, I am getting 70+ more miles per tank. I just had to call you and thank you for your product." - Bryan Patrick (Derry,NH)

"In a completely stock 99' Dodge Neon sport, I gained ten horses and went from 34-37 wheel horsepower to 44-47 wheel horsepower (using a G-Tech Pro performance meter). I have also noted (when I drive responsibly) a gain in gas mileage. I also lost a full second off my Quarter-mile times; from 16.8 to 15.8 and probably could have done better with more time with the G-Tech."
-Francis Mize (Cincinnati,OH)

"I'm getting about a 10% increase in horsepower and much better gas mileage. I want to thank you, I'm really impressed."
-Joe Labador, Oxnad, California

"I have almost 100,000 miles on my car. After installing The Turbonator, the performance improved dramatically. I estimate 10 to 15 more horsepower and better throttle response."
-H. Nyugn, Austin, Texas

"I am very pleased with The Turbonator. It only took a few minutes to install and the performance of my Chevrolet Caprice increased 10-15%. I have also noticed my car goes about 50 to 70 more miles per tank! Thank you Turbonator.com"
- D. Kessler, Buffalo, NY

"This device made my Pontiac perform smoothly and with faster acceleration. I honestly felt a 20 horsepower gain. It's hard to believe considering it's such an inexpensive device. Within a two month period, It paid for itself from the gas savings. I told all my friends about it and they now think it is as incredible as I do."
-Donald Roberts, Boise, Idaho

"After The Turbonator was installed, my car's overall response and torque was much improved. I'm getting about 30 more miles per tank and at least 10% more power, probably more."
-Chris Bowles, Hawthorn, California

"I must say I experienced an immediate improvement in power and my throttle responds better as well. I have also went from 21 MPG to 27 MPG in the city."
-Brian Hiltz, Los Angeles, California

"I work for a large pizza chain and as you can guess, I do a lot of driving, about 80 miles a day. After installing The Turbonator, I noticed that I don't have to stop for gas as much anymore. I think I am getting about 3 to 4 more miles per gallon. I told the other drivers and they are now using it too."
-Jim Likus, Miami, Florida
Old 03-26-2004, 02:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
You know what they say, there's one born everyday......
Old 03-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Pro

Todd, I could get testimonials from dozens of people saying that they got a 15% power increase by ramming a turd into their exhaust pipe, but that doesn't make it true.

Yes, valves are designed to increase turbulence, which in turn improves mixing of fuel with the air. However, nothing you add a foot upstream of the valves (where the flow is moving 10 times slower) can possibly have ANY effect on the flow into the combustion chamber.

This product is a sham; you would think the automakers with their complex hybrid drivetrains and variable valve timing would have slapped some turning vanes in their intakes if it actually did something to improve performance.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Instructor

As I'd said before, I'm just calling it as I see it. This is a forum and I'm telling all of you what I've experienced. You can talk turds, you can talk Fluid dynamics , you can talk Thermodynamics and Quantum Mechanics for all I care but what I'm telling you is the truth and my experiences.

Havent driven the TSX for about aweek because as I'd said in my previous note I was driving/testing the Jeep.
I installed the T device in the TSX last weekend. I'm even running a mixture of half 93 and half 89 octane fuel.
I thought I'd try this instead of the 93 that I normally do to eliminate any octane advantages.

My results so far.

1. Driving my normal commute which is about 60% highway The gas guage hasn't yet hit the mid point and I've over 190 miles on the tank. This is a first. I drive this car all the time , the same route and the best I've seen in the past is 192-194 miles with the needle solidly at the half tank on my car.

2. As I'm pulling onto Rte 9 today, a two lane highway. Two kids waiting at the light in a suburu wagon obviously gun it to try and squeeze me out. I'm at almost a full stop in 2nd gear, I punch it, the car chirps the tires and I'm outta there! I don't do this often I'll have to attest, but it's never done this either. I'd even slammed 2nd once a while back running with a guy in a GSR from a light before my mods and it didn't even chirp the tires.
I know it's terrrible for the tranny but ...you only go around once.

4.) Later Today, I've a F150 pickup truck driver next to me at the light.
With a big roar he guns it at the green. My lane runs out in about 100 feet. I rev it out, chirping the tires in second which it has never done before either as I'd mentioned previously.

As I'd said, I'm only telling it as I see it...
It's never done any of these things before. For test purposes, I will remove the Tornado and the K&N and drive for a week as I'd done previously with the Jeep.

Blacksburg,VA....VA Tech, what are you studying ? Engineering ?
I'm an engineer .
I work on embedded software for fiber optic automotive networks on Audi, DaimlerBenz and Porsche automobiles ....yes cars do have networks.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch ?!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:16 PM
10th Gear

Toddstuh:
If you want to prove that the tornado works, than instead of testing with and without it, go to a dyno day and do a couple of pulls with and without it. That would provide us with hard evidence that there is some benefit. Anecdotal stories do not prove its efficacy-it is likely that with some research you could find just as many people who were dissatisfied.
I will tell you the reason that I have an objection to this product and I will not spit theorems at you. Honda engineers spend (likely) considerable time to produce an intake tract that allows the air to resonate at certain velocities. This resonance increases the velocity of the intake air yielding a denser charge. I disagree with placing a device in the intake that interferes with those resonances, unless considerable time is spent developing the device individually for each car. I have not been able to find research done by the company that indicates that the device is specifically designed for the TSX except to find a diameter that will fit the intake.
Toddstuh-Please do not take my reply as a flame-this post actually peaked my interest to see if there is a benefit to the tornado fuel saver.

Eric
Old 03-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro

Blacksburg,VA....VA Tech, what are you studying ? Engineering ?
Is it that obvious? :P

I got my degrees from VT, now I'm working at a small aerodynamics company in blacksburg.

Yeah, pull some dyno's with and without the 'nado, prove us all wrong. I'll be the first to publicly put my foot in my mouth if you get any gains with that thing.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It cracks me up every time I see someone posting about resetting the ECU after adding this or that to the car. It shows the person knows absolutely nothing about how the ECU works or how the ECU uses its build-in programs along with the various sensors to maintain a optimum a/f in closed loop mode.

There are certain reasons to reset the ECU such as clearing the stored error code(s) after replacing a defective component that triggered the MIL or for troubleshoot. Resetting it because you added a filter is not it.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up 1st tank results...

Ok, here are my results ... after having installed the Tornado in the TSX last week, my first tank of gas my mileage improved to 30mpg from a consistant previous mileage of 27-28 mpg best since I've owned the car.
I generally use this car for commuting to work which is a solid mix of highway and city and stop and go thus my driving route hadn't been altered for this test.
I hadn't reset my ecu but thanks for your input on the subject. I've found with my Jeep , after resetting the ECU my mileage improves 2-3 mpg or more depending on the outside temps.

I actually work with embedded microcontroller software in the automotive industry on automotive networks. We use the same ST-10 microprocessors as the ECU types do. Apparently, looking at the closed loop system in which the ECU operates, the parameters(ie the input values from the sensors) in which the ECU software is operating upon have changed. Its another program whom operates on input parameters.
Since the primary purpose of the ECU is to regulate the air/fuel mixture Just perhaps this increase in mileage is a result of the ECU adjusting to an increase in air flow flowing past the mass air flow sensor and more efficient combustion. More air is beneficial for any type of combustion whether it is inside an engine or a barbque grill.

How would you explain a sudden increase in mileage if nothing else has been altered in the system ?

Regardless, I'm very happy with my gain in mileage especially with the current gas prices.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Outnumbered at home

My guess is you were driving with gas mileage more in mind since you put it in (subconsciously or not).

As most have said if it was this easy to improve mileage every manufacturer would be doing it.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:05 PM
8th Gear

Originally posted by 95gt
My guess is you were driving with gas mileage more in mind since you put it in (subconsciously or not).
Agreed.

Todd wants to believe it works so bad, he makes it work through a change in driving habits, and viola what-do-you-know it works! (but only because he drove more conservatively.) Classic placebo effect. All the engineering facts and common sense in the world will not convince these kinds of people.

I happen to be an engineer for a business jet manufacturer in Wichita, and know a thing or two about airflow, including flow into engines. I guarantee the "tornado" installed on a fuel injected engine will do no good, and will likely cause a loss in efficiency.

However, if Todd's happy spending money to trick himself into driving more conservatively and saving a bit of gas that way, then good for him.

For the rest of us, save your money and drive more efficiently, if you choose, to experience the same net effect.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
FYI..

Honda/Acura don't use MAF sensor. They use Manifold Absoulute Pressure (MAP) sensor and it doesn't measure air flow. The TSX has it on the intake manifold.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Just dial 1911

This is great. Todd, there is no way you can be this naive. Your posts are the same as infomercial. Filled with fluff and not backed by any real facts. Im starting to think your the "designer" of this wonderful product.

Your tires churp now because of this gimmick? Thats the best one so far...Keep em commin!
Old 06-21-2004, 06:18 PM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by autox17
I'll tell you first hand that it DOESN'T work. I bought one before I had common sense and I might as well have the $69 away.

By the way, if someone wants to buy it, I've still got it laying around somewhere. Just name your price.
Uh, if it comes with a large decal -- window preferred, but right-on-the-paint OK -- you can name *your* price.

And keep the thingie. I just want the decal.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Holy resurrected threads, Batman....
Old 06-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Holy resurrected threads, Batman....

Quick Reply: Tornado fuel saver