Top Speed of TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by biker

I would never drive in the US as I drive on the Autobahn. The idocy level is much higher in the US.
The roads in the US (specifically the Northeast) are not built for speed. However, I hear that the Autobahn is plagued with congestion and accidents as well.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metrathon
What's the problem here? 120 is "crazy"? LOL !!! Driving in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Belgium or France constantly within 130-155 ... that's why we have 3 (three) lanes on an highway. The first is <=60, the second 60-100 and the third for the cars going fast. You know, like over 200hp. If you can't or don't want to go fast, take the first 2 lanes.
And you'll gonna die either way if something happens ... no matter if you do 60 or 150.
I hear ya, too bad we won WWII

Old 10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
The roads in the US (specifically the Northeast) are not built for speed. However, I hear that the Autobahn is plagued with congestion and accidents as well.
The good thing about accidents on the Autobahn is that when they happen, the offending party usually removes him/herself from from the gene pool permanently.

I know that was morbid, but ever cloud has a silver lining?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, unfortunately. Because of the speed, both events. They have aggressive real-time signaling telling them to do max 60 but everybody goes higher. As a result, they will pile up.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The good thing about accidents on the Autobahn is that when they happen, the offending party usually removes him/herself from from the gene pool permanently.

I know that was morbid, but ever cloud has a silver lining?
Maybe sometimes, but my Austrian boss told me that he once saw an accident on the Autobahn where the offending party killed a mother and baby.

I know it can and does happen here as well.

Speed kills, doesn't matter where in the world you are...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

some road builder once told me that German Autobahn is built with better material that has rubber-like compound in it so it has certain elasticity. The result is less bumpy/cracked roads and better grip. Said this will never ever happen in the US cause we want everything cheapo
here.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Ca for three months and they seemed pretty civilized and drove carefully.
LOL, this has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read here...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by blackjackman
I hear ya, too bad we won WWII

Man, you have a strange sense of humor Chef...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

some road builder once told me that German Autobahn is built with better material that has rubber-like compound in it so it has certain elasticity. The result is less bumpy/cracked roads and better grip. Said this will never ever happen in the US cause we want everything cheapo
here.
Yes, but they are VERY noisy and pretty old. And they are working ... everywhere. Site after site. But I guess this is the only country in the world when you can do more than 155 ... if you can.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joerockt
Man, you have a strange sense of humor Chef...
you mean sarcasm ?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

LOL, this has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read here...
Hey ... they SEEMED. I know I have a shitty english. I give you guys credit cause u live there.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Just dial 1911

Hey ... they SEEMED. I know I have a shitty english. I give you guys credit cause u live there.
Oh no, it had nothing to do with your english, just the fact that you though CA drivers were civilized lol...

A lot of assholes out here on the road, and im one of them!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Just dial 1911

you mean sarcasm ?
You need to learn to use your smilies seriously...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Anyway, to be back on the track, I intend to buy an Accord here (TSX in US). I know that I won't go more than 120-130, cause I'll kill the car. I'll be happy if I'll be able to cruise at 130 still listening to music at a decent volume.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
ric
Safety Car

"Genius"? I would like to be one ... anyway, you're too jumpy. Take a deep breath and relax. I didn't know that drivers in US are poorly trained. I was in Ca for three months and they seemed pretty civilized and drove carefully. One thing made me crazy, the fact that on all three lanes everybody was doing the same speed. So if you wanted to do more, no way.

This is not right.
If you found California civilized and filled with careful drivers, then I would suggest that your reality base is skewed.................. (by that high-speed driving on the Autobahn and the Autostrada?) I doubt that very few large cities in the US can claim sensible drivers; most have an aging infrastructure overtaxed by highvolume use and filled with folks for whom road rage is a daily opportunity to "vent". Few folks are truly trained how to drive either proactively or defensively. Moreover, we've been infected with SUVitus, in which folks who drive gas-guzzling ill-handling tanks that block view and have the turning radius of the Queen Mary have infiltrated every road and lane in this country, driving in a manner that suggests that they devoutly believe that because they are big, they are invincible, especially in ice and snow. Nothing worse on the freeway than some Soccer Mom in her Lincoln Navigator (for safety, honey), talking on her cellphone to her lunch partners - with blind spots the size of Rhode Island to the side and rear and the concentration of a gnat.

As for high speeds and injury/death, the statistics are fairly damning; the higher the averge speed, the more fatal and high-injury accidents occur - whether they are single or multi-vehicle accidents. I suspect that will pan out across international borders - and yes, there are fundamental differences between an accident at 55mph and an accident at 132mph. I don't like those statistics, becaue I like driving fast, though my taste for it tops out at about 110, frankly, and I rarely have the opportunity to do that with any modicum of safety these days. But unfortunately, speed kills. So do drivers who approach driving with the skill and grace of a hippo dancing to Swan Lake.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Anyway, to be back on the track, I intend to buy an Accord here (TSX in US). I know that I won't go more than 120-130, cause I'll kill the car. I'll be happy if I'll be able to cruise at 130 still listening to music at a decent volume.
Listening to music will be down the list of priorities when drivng 130.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

My friend, maybe you got me wrong. Civilized has litltle to do with skilled. They were correct and respected the rules. Maybe in a town like Paris or Bucharest, they would die at the first intersection. Or maybe they can't park without smashing all the cars arround. I don't know this. But they didn't broke the rules.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

I'm really amazed. List of priorities? But why? The lane is FREE in front of you and STRAIGHT and you can TRUST your car. What is the problem?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ric
If you found California civilized and filled with careful drivers, then I would suggest that your reality base is skewed.................. (by that high-speed driving on the Autobahn and the Autostrada?) I doubt that very few large cities in the US can claim sensible drivers; most have an aging infrastructure overtaxed by highvolume use and filled with folks for whom road rage is a daily opportunity to "vent". Few folks are truly trained how to drive either proactively or defensively. Moreover, we've been infected with SUVitus, in which folks who drive gas-guzzling ill-handling tanks that block view and have the turning radius of the Queen Mary have infiltrated every road and lane in this country, driving in a manner that suggests that they devoutly believe that because they are big, they are invincible, especially in ice and snow.

Frankly, though the signage was a bit baffling, driving in the urban traffic of Rome, Florence and Vienna were preferable, imho, to driving in Philadlephia, Boston or LA - all cities that I've had more than a passing opportunity to drive in. Driving 405 out of LAX after flying the redeye west to get to a client meeting, heading down to SOrange County................. truly scary for me, tho you TSX'ers out there do it all of the time..........

As for high speeds and injury/death, the statistics are fairly damning; the higher the averge speed, the more fatal and high-injury accidents occur - whether they are single or multi-vehicle accidents. I suspect that will pan out across international borders - and yes, there are fundamental differences between an accident at 55mph and an accident at 132mph in terms of the nature of the traumatic injury(s). I don't like those statistics, becaue I like driving fast, though my taste for it tops out at about 110, frankly, and I rarely have the opportunity to do that with any modicum of safety these days. (the freeway between Cheyenne and Denver was my favorite for highspeed driving, but only if the patrol was working the south side of Denver) But unfortunately, speed kills. So do drivers who approach driving with the skill and grace of a hippo dancing to Swan Lake.
Very well put ric.
Cruising the always under repair Autobahn at 95mph yesterday was a true pleasure - not just because I had confidence that it was very unlikely others would pull some typical US type idiot move - but I could just to the :cop: on the side of the road without fear of an award.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Race Director

The fastest ive gone was 100, many times, very securly also. Never had the opportunity to open her up past that yet... yet...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
B A N N E D

No, AT drivers are smart, responsible citizens....
i like that..haha
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Just dial 1911

My friend, maybe you got me wrong. Civilized has litltle to do with skilled. They were correct and respected the rules. Maybe in a town like Paris or Bucharest, they would die at the first intersection. Or maybe they can't park without smashing all the cars arround. I don't know this. But they didn't broke the rules.
I dont know where you were driving in CA, but I see people run red lights all the time, hardly ever actually stop for a stop sign, cut people off, flip people off, never use a signal, etc, etc...I dont call that civilized...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
B A N N E D

anyone that regularly has the urge to do 120 should swerve off the road and head straight for the nearest telephone pole
Old 10-20-2004, 01:26 PM
10th Gear

Retort

Trying to answer everyone's questions. 1. Yes my car is a manual. 2. Thanks, Next time I'll put it in 5th, I was in 6th last night. I don't speed on residential roads, I was on an Interstate late last night in Connecticut actually. I don't want to get into a "Speeding war" but The TSX doesn't feel like it's moving until you hit 80. I think I need to go to the AutoBahn.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Race Director

I'm really amazed. List of priorities? But why? The lane is FREE in front of you and STRAIGHT and you can TRUST your car. What is the problem?
The problem is that there is very few places where the lane is FREE, well at least not for long. I could have done that on the Autobahn yesterday (plenty of folks passed me doing about 120, while I was in the middle lane cruising at 90 - side note - the 5th gen USDM Accord feels quite secure/comfortable at 100) but it would have lasted about 30 seconds.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Where the fuck were you?

I lived in California for 17 years and never knew of a haven for drivers like that?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

I dont know where you were driving in CA, but I see people run red lights all the time, hardly ever actually stop for a stop sign, cut people off, flip people off, never use a signal, etc, etc...I dont call that civilized...

Driven in Cali since I was 16 and I've had more near death experiences than I'd like to remember. (SUVs nearly plowing into you on the freeway at 65mph because they didn't see you while changing lanes is fucking scary...)
Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 925tsx
anyone that regularly has the urge to do 120 should swerve off the road and head straight for the nearest telephone pole
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Tuxedo Cat

What's the problem here? 120 is "crazy"? LOL !!! Driving in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Belgium or France constantly within 130-155 ... that's why we have 3 (three) lanes on an highway. The first is <=60, the second 60-100 and the third for the cars going fast. You know, like over 200hp. If you can't or don't want to go fast, take the first 2 lanes.

And you'll gonna die either way if something happens ... no matter if you do 60 or 150.
He's talking MILES PER HOUR, you're talking Km/h. 120 translates to roughly 192 for you.

The max limit in most European countries is 120 or 130 km/h. http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/driving_tips.htm. Only in Germany, on some of the roads, can one legally drive at anything in excess of 130.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Tuxedo Cat

I'm sure he's talking Km/h. About 80mph.

With the number of Euros on here, I think we should all be careful about specifying what measurement we're using.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
No, AT drivers are smart, responsible citizens....
i have hit 125mph...it was still pulling to the point where i feel certain 140's are possible, i just said that was enough for that night...

AT btw, also i believe someone said the AT has a higher top speed because of the taller gearing???
Old 10-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX
He's talking MILES PER HOUR, you're talking Km/h. 120 translates to roughly 192 for you.

The max limit in most European countries is 120 or 130 km/h. http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/driving_tips.htm. Only in Germany, on some of the roads, can one legally drive at anything in excess of 130.
I think he was talking mph.. he said he topped at 120 in previous post.. he couldn't have topped out at 120km/h..
Old 10-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm with sauceman. Did you remember that you have to be in 5th to get max power? Pretty typical for lots of performance cars. The top gear is there for best efficiency, not for best power. It's counterintuitive, but on many cars you need to be in the lower gear to get yourself up to top speed. In some cars you can shift back to the top gear when you're done accelleratiing, and in others you need to stay in the lower gear even just to maintain the speed.

Most cars with restrictors on them have them there in order to prevent you from going faster than the stock tires allow. 130mph (H rating) and 149mph (V rating, minimum Z rating) are pretty common on lots of cars.

Our TSXs come with V rated tires, but even on a downhill straightaway, are unlikely to ever be able to get to 149mph. Drag holds them back long before then. You may be able to get a bit past the 133mph drag limit if you have a tailwind and/or are going downhill where gravity helps a bit, though the wind speed is an order of magnitude more important than whether or not you're going uphill or down.

btw i believe those speed ratings on the tires are a rating for sustaining that speed for a full hour with recommended loads...
Old 10-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by sipark
I think he was talking mph.. he said he topped at 120 in previous post.. he couldn't have topped out at 120km/h..
Original guy was talking mph for sure. The response, saying that speeds in Europe are normally 130-155 was definitely NOT mph.

I think we're all misunderstanding each other.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by savage
btw i believe those speed ratings on the tires are a rating for sustaining that speed for a full hour with recommended loads...
Yeah, I think that's true. It's for continuous use with full load and most of the tires would be fine for brief acceleration beyond that speed. Nonetheless, most companies will tend to restrict cars below their rated tire speed.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Yeah, I think that's true. It's for continuous use with full load and most of the tires would be fine for brief acceleration beyond that speed. Nonetheless, most companies will tend to restrict cars below their rated tire speed.
Better safe than have to face the consequences of the litigious American society.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Tuxedo Cat

here.
Those friction compounds don't last very well in hot weather conditions, making them unsuitable for use in much of the US. Germany has much more moderate weather than even northern US locations. Those compounds are occasionally used for friction overlays on airport runways, but usually only in places with moderate temperatures that are limited to smaller commercial aircraft, and with the understanding that resurfacing will be necessary every couple of years.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From my experience driving in SoCal the average speed out on the freeways, NOT during rush hour, is around 70-75mph and on some sections of the 405 or the 710 you keep up with traffic in the fast lane only if you do 80mph. The TSX is very stable at 80 and the one good thing about SoCal drivers on the freeways is everyone pretty much keeps to the same speed (+/- 10mph). Under these conditions the relative speed to the car next to you is only 10 mph which gives you plenty of time to react, as long as you're paying attention and not on the phone, or dicking with the radio or putting on makeup using the mirror. So yeah, I speed and do 80, maybe 85 if I don't look down at the speedo for a while, but doing 120mph on the freeway is crazy and will sooner or later get either you or someone else killed or seriously injured. At those high speed differentials there is NO way you have time to react to sudden lane changes or other changing conditions and even if you do you won't control your reaction. So please, if you're gonna test the upper limits of the speedo do it on the track or on the autobahn where its legal. And racing at high speeds on the freeway is just double dumb. My
Old 10-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jlukja
From my experience driving in SoCal the average speed out on the freeways, NOT during rush hour, is around 70-75mph and on some sections of the 405 or the 710 you keep up with traffic in the fast lane only if you do 80mph. The TSX is very stable at 80 and the one good thing about SoCal drivers on the freeways is everyone pretty much keeps to the same speed (+/- 10mph). Under these conditions the relative speed to the car next to you is only 10 mph which gives you plenty of time to react, as long as you're paying attention and not on the phone, or dicking with the radio or putting on makeup using the mirror. So yeah, I speed and do 80, maybe 85 if I don't look down at the speedo for a while, but doing 120mph on the freeway is crazy and will sooner or later get either you or someone else killed or seriously injured. At those high speed differentials there is NO way you have time to react to sudden lane changes or other changing conditions and even if you do you won't control your reaction. So please, if you're gonna test the upper limits of the speedo do it on the track or on the autobahn where its legal. And racing at high speeds on the freeway is just double dumb. My
Old 10-20-2004, 05:38 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlukja
Probably the only way to do it; my experience with 405 was driving out of LAX at about 2:00AM your time, 6:00 AM my time in a rental pig towncar, hitting the freeway to my client in Orange County when every freak in LA seemed to be hitting the road; traffic still dense, a bunch of post barclosing drivers along with the occassional cokehead driving some contraption with body parts falling off in the fast lane........... Tried to not be a moving target, keep with the speed. Never drove 405 when it wasn't highspeed bumper/bumper with a bunch of lanechange dudes zipping in and out. Life was a lot simpler after I started to fly into John Wayne, even with their rocket takeoff from the runway for sound attenuation. (Was a great client, though, and used to head in early to LAX and have dinner at the 7th Street Bistro before heading to LAX - great wines by the glass - then get on a redeye back to Philly - one stop in Vegas for drunk broke gamblers - and arrive just in time to get to the office............ did it for eight weeks, sometimes twice a week)

Only place I could ever get past 100+ consistently was on the freeway from Denver to Cheyenne, and then only if the trucks were driving 90 (meaning the patrol was working the other side of Denver). Was driving a Mercedes 300, stable as a locomotive on an uncomplicated drive. Wouldn't do it again.....................

New Jersey provides similar driving to LA, in some ways and have to hit the stride of traffic, and deal with lockbumber contact; Jersey turnpike can be 75/85 or a parking lot depending on whether some trucker with a load of chickens has overturned driving up from Delaware to NYC.......... but it does slack off a bit from 4:00 AM to 6:00 AM; I never could figure out a time when 405 was light...................

Quick Reply: Top Speed of TSX