Too few miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Too few miles?

I previously test drove some first generation TSXs with manual transmissions and, so far, haven't bought one for a few different reasons. After looking at some other cars, I'm back to the TSX.

So, a couple hundred miles away, a dealer has a 2008 with Nav. and less than 12K miles. I e-mailed and asked for some information, particularly a vehicle history or any details from their mechanics' inspection. That part of my request was ignored (I received the "this car is great and won't last long! But now buy now!" kind of thing). I thought I'd take the drive out anyway and make arrangements for a pre-purchase inspection, but the listing now includes a Carfax. It shows:

Owner 1 - Corporate, owned under two years, put a total of 233 miles on it.
Owner 2 - Ten months, sold it with 9,500 miles.
Owner 3 - Eight months, sold with a 11,500 miles.

I'm probably paranoid, but having a car sit for its first two years doesn't seem like a good idea, unless the owner made sure to take it out every couple of weeks. However, two owners selling the car in under a year doesn't bode well, either. Someone who buys/sells once told me that any car owned for under a year is one of his red flags.

So, I thought I'd share my paranoia with fellow car enthusiasts and see if anyone has some perspective.

Edit - I should mention that I don't think the listed price, while not outrageous given the car, low mileage and current demand, is also not a bargain. It's $22,750.

Last edited by Carraway; 06-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2007 was low mileage when I bought it in '09, and it had been through a couple owners. It runs great, and I am pretty pleased, although I learned one more time to never buy a car at night.
1. It's blue, but not Arctic Blue Pearl. That one's on me, for wishing Acura still sold that color.
2. The dealer repainted it, and didn't do a very good job. I think he didn't put the last coat of clear on it or something. Anyhow, the finish is soft, and scratches easily.

I would take a careful look at the finish. If Carfax says it's OK, I wouldn't worry about the rest of the car. I also have to say, this is not the right time to be buying used. Used car prices are at a ridiculous level right now. I think you are better off financially if you buy a new one. Just add a couple more years to the car loan and you end up with the same monthly payment. Or lease the car for a couple years, and buy it then.
The following users liked this post:
Carraway (06-19-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Racer

Iceman - Thanks. I know it's not the best time for used. The one thing I have going for me, however, is that I'm looking for a manual. That and I'm perfectly ok with walking away from a deal if I don't feel it's right.

I've also looked new, particularly seeing how many new cars are available in that price range. I just haven't found one I liked and, I think, haven't taken to electronic throttle and steering systems. At least the 1G TSXs still have hydraulic steering with Honda's excellent feedback.

I won't be financing and put too many miles on a car for a lease, however.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Carraway
Iceman - Thanks. I know it's not the best time for used. The one thing I have going for me, however, is that I'm looking for a manual. That and I'm perfectly ok with walking away from a deal if I don't feel it's right.

I've also looked new, particularly seeing how many new cars are available in that price range. I just haven't found one I liked and, I think, haven't taken to electronic throttle and steering systems. At least the 1G TSXs still have hydraulic steering with Honda's excellent feedback.

I won't be financing and put too many miles on a car for a lease, however.
Is the selling dealer an Acura dealer? (I would feel better if it is). I wouldn't worry too much about the gap in mileage. The car should still be under warranty (even if it sold early in the model year, it should have at least a few months). And I agree with your pricing observation. Even with the low miles, I'd say it's priced at least around $2K too high. Oh, and I wouldn't put too much stock into a Carfax report. The car being corporate owned (meaning most likely Acura), nothing would show up anyway. Since you have concerns, I'd suggest biting the bullet and making the trip to see and check out the car. You can make your deal then, and hopefully finish out the deal with one more trip.
Carraway (06-19-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Racer

Simba - It's not at an Acura dealer, and I'm a little irked the sales e-mails have focused more on being sales e-mails than answering my questions. Thanks for mentioning the possibility of its being owned by Acura. The "corporate fleet" record is in Torrance, Calif., so you're probably right.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you about the electronic steering system on the new Acuras. The first gen's excellent hydraulic steering is the main reason I replaced my '04 with an '07 instead of buying new.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Racer

Iceman - I may wind up doing something similar. Incidentally, there is an Arctic Blue, CPO 2008 TSX with a manual transmission listed at a dealer in New Jersey. (I saw it when doing a long distance search for MT cars on Acura's website).

As for the one I'm looking at, there is an Acura dealer nearby, but its service department is booked up Monday, so they won't be able to do a pre-purchase inspection (I may have to look for indie shops in the area), and this salesman's e-mails are approaching spam, yet he's never answered any specific questions. The last one ignored my previous e-mail entirely. Maybe I'll head to New Jersey.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Completely agree with you and Iceman about the electronic steering. I test drove a 2G TSX and the steering vagueness really stuck out, (as did the new, large chrome proboscis up front.) Thus, I bought a CPO 1G TSX with 6MT -- and love it.

Not sure where you live, but depending on distance, I think your instinct to go to NJ and check out the other car is a good one. I went out of state to get exactly what I wanted and it was well worth it.

BTW,
Love your avatar. (I'm a cartoonist and you have excellent taste in comics.)
Carraway (06-19-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Racer

Boulder - I'm in Ohio, so it'd be a reasonable trip to New Jersey. Of course, I'd need to visit New York if I was that close.

Glad you like the avatar. I really wanted to use it but was a little unsure given Watterson's copyright struggles, but I hope he wouldn't mind this kind of use.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Racer

Sounds like a fun trip, especially if you go to NY, too.

You could also do it entirely by phone and online.

I found my car in Florida, which was nearly 1,800 miles for me. I talked with the Acura dealership about it in detail, and then had a friend who lived in the area check it out & drive it. (Merely confirming my belief that the car was in pristine condition.) After that I negotiated the price down over the phone and took care of all the financial details via email & fax. The car was shipped to me. It was really very easy.

But NJ is close enough to you to be a trip that is well within reason.

Some big advantages to the car being a CPO are the 150 point inspection, the extended full & powertrain warranties and roadside coverage, new floor mats, etc. Another little known bonus is that you have Acura's Certified program 3 day return policy. (In my case, the dealer made it beginning the day I received the car.) If you went and picked up the car and in the (unlikely) event that you decided halfway home that you did not like it, you can change your mind.

As for Watterson, you're right; he has had some trouble with people using his characters without permission. From what I've read, he mainly dislikes people profiting from T-shirts with Calvin swearing, etc....but does not really mind stuff like your avatar.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 06-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Racer

I've wondered about that, particularly the cost of transporting it. Given my schedule, it's tough to get some free time, especially during normal business hours. The CPO program does look pretty good, although I did decide not to buy a CPO TSX a bit ago. (In that case, I saw things I interpreted as the previous owner's not caring for it and the dealer's spending as little as possible). I didn't know about the three-day return policy. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

As for the avatar, that's similar to what I was thinking when I decided to go ahead and use it. Incidentally, I recently learned that Watterson lives in the same region I do. I was surprised, anyway.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Racer

There are several major car shippers that allow you to get quotes; with both zip codes they can give you a quick estimate. My car cost about $900 to ship 1,800 miles. (A 3,600 mile round trip for me otherwise)...there's no way I could go get it and drive it back for that...the gas, flight, mileage on the car, and my time...it was an easy decision in my case.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the earlier dealer. I have a feeling the handling of the CPO process varies at dealerships, just like anything else. If the dealer in NJ sounds straight up about answering your questions, maybe they will be fair with you. One thing is certain, the warranties will hold up and be honored anywhere.

I recall reading that Watterson grew up in Chagrin Falls, seem to think he is still there(?)

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 06-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Carraway
I've wondered about that, particularly the cost of transporting it. Given my schedule, it's tough to get some free time, especially during normal business hours. The CPO program does look pretty good, although I did decide not to buy a CPO TSX a bit ago. (In that case, I saw things I interpreted as the previous owner's not caring for it and the dealer's spending as little as possible). I didn't know about the three-day return policy. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

As for the avatar, that's similar to what I was thinking when I decided to go ahead and use it. Incidentally, I recently learned that Watterson lives in the same region I do. I was surprised, anyway.
Maybe someone that lives near this dealer would be willing to check out the car for you. Where in NJ is this dealer.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Racer

Boulder - Thanks. $900 for that distance is pretty good, considering the time, fuel and labor involved. As for the earlier CPO TSX, I was fairly disappointed. I at least got to take a decent test drive through some interesting roads in it, but I was quickly calculating the cost of redoing what they did cheaply. I haven't contacted the NJ dealer yet. I may have to, the communication with the Toledo dealer just became frustrating, and it looks like the car is gone. Maybe its new owner will post here.

From what I understand, Watterson is still in the area, but he's moved, as people keep trying to track him down. Hopefully those people are more stable than some of those who stalked JD Salinger.

nj2pa2nc - Depending on what happens after the next week or so, I may look into that. The NJ dealer is Acura of Denville.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
If you decide to go to that dealer in Denville-it is not that far from NYC (you can either stay on Route 46 or go on Route 80.
Carraway (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Racer

Thanks. I've had to focus attention on some other things, but I should have some time over the next few days.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Carraway,

In reading your posts, the treatment you are getting from the dealer is concerning. Is it a real dealer (like a Toyota dealership that happens to have a TSX) or is this "Bob's quality cars".

My brother recently did the e-mail thing with a "Bobs used cars" dealer that was 200 miles away. He got the same vague e-mails. So he made the drive, and when he saw the car up close he said, the car looked like someone had driven it through a gravel pit. The upholstry was torn, the 'ding' marks were everywhere, tires were shot. This was after the salesman told him it was in great condition over the phone. The pics on line didn't reveal any of these issues - you had to get close.

So the fact they won't give you straight answers is a red flag to me. I would not make the trip unless they answered your questions directly and I'd also demand more pics if some part of the car is not visible on line.

I hate to be overly paranoid - could be a great car. But since it sounds like you have a drive in front of you, they should be more accomodating to get you the information you are after.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Racer

Thanks. This was at a Honda dealer, but I decided to look elsewhere given the problem with getting any answers. The car is no longer listed, although I kept getting stock e-mails with "TSX" fit into a few spots for a few days after the listing was removed. There are a couple other candidates, but all are a decent drive away.

Last edited by Carraway; 06-27-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Clarity, parataxis.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Racer

Update, if anyone's interested. I got a couple days free and planned on heading to NJ, but I was just told the car is sold. Ah well. Maybe whoever bought it will stop by.

Curiously, the first car at the Honda dealer appeared to be sold over a week ago, but I received another e-mail saying that it's in inventory. I guess either the guy doesn't know it sold or there was an issue. I would just ask if he ever answered my questions.