TL = TSX on steriods + a way to fool us Americans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL = TSX on steriods + a way to fool us Americans?

I was thinking to myself... the TSX and the TL share very similar features externally and internally. the TSX (JDM Accord) has been out over there for a year already, having said that both USDM and JDM have had their new shape and looks... but the TL... juss to me is like a TSX on drugs and it is a easy and simple way to bite us Americans in the ass. The new TL is a product for America by Americans Honda engineers.

To me it is the "inspire" of JDM in America. But its like... these two cars really virually have no differences that make them too much apart... a bigger engine and the cabin size a few inches bigger... for a 6K more on the tag. this is 2004...

2003, the TSX(JDM Accord) came out and they already have all the advancements on the cars, now when they get new plans for the TL, they juss bite off of so called "year old" technology? Why do we Americans get screwed all the time? I mean to me the TL is hand me down technology from a TSX with a bigger body to fit us Bigger Americans... why don't they do something inovative with our cars before the rest of the world...

And why do we get jipped on making a so called "luxury named" car when it is a Honda... maybe well peeople can't justify paying for a 60K honda car (the RL)... so they had to go around the marketing scheme and make another name to fool us....

I love my TSX, but I juss think the TL could be more than what it really is... Because if it was me, I can't justify paying another 6 to 8K for a car that don't really have THAT much of a HUGE difference... to me now... the tsx is...

1999 Four door Acura Integra and the TL back in the day... see now that was majorly different...

but now 2004, the cars don't seem to have much difference besides the bigger engine and a few more inches on the body.

long live the TSX =D

CG/ No Nav/ 5AT
Old 10-09-2003, 10:40 PM
More On

I agree that the cars are much more similar than we were expecting -- despite there being many large technical differences, and many extra features in the TL, and some difference in size.

As I've said, I think most of the public will view the TL and the TSX more as different trim levels of the same car than as different cars. Kinda more like the BMW 325 vs. 330, rather than 3-series vs. 5-series. Of course I don't mean that the specific differences between the TSX and the TL are anything like the ones between the 325 and the 330, just giving an example. And, you gotta admit, we had been assuming the distinction between the TSX and the TL would be more like the distinction between the 3 and the 5.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Advanced

but larch, that is how it shoud be isin't it? I mean without the TSX in the line up, all the cars have their own specific reason to be there...

the RSX for the younger college folks
the TL for the executive corner office directors
the CL for the sportier older folks
the RL for the retired or a older and richer folks
and the MDX... well for the majority of America =D hehe

as said before the TSX is a replacement for the four door integra... so what the heck happened? so u saying this four door replacement for the integra is and should be close to a TL? dang that is really wierd.

but my point is the TL and the TSX should be like a 3 and a 5 series because then it seems like they are really filling all the gaps... the TSX is a great car, I love mine... but it juss makes me feel all wierd inside to know that a TL really got nothing on me, and all our other fellow acura tl people are getting jipped because their car is juss mine with a 70 more ponys and what have you.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:01 PM
More On

I wouldn't try to say how it should be, and I didn't say it's a problem one way or the other.

My only point about this is that the story is different than what people were expecting, and in fact they were expecting another story so much that they're having trouble absorbing this. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and the reason they're not absorbing this is because it's not true.

But I think it is, and I'm trying to help get the word out. (As you are also.)
Old 10-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the TL is worth an extra six over the TSX. In addition to a larger engine and substantially more power, you get lots of extra features, and a bigger more substantial car. Sure, the TSX is a great deal but so is the TL.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 PM
More On

Originally posted by darth62
I think the TL is worth an extra six over the TSX. In addition to a larger engine and substantially more power, you get lots of extra features, and a bigger more substantial car. Sure, the TSX is a great deal but so is the TL.
But Darth, I'm sure you'd agree that opinions like this are tentative at best until the person tries the car!

For example, how do you know you'll like the TL's handling enough? How do you know how much you might need to "subtract" for less desirable handling?

You don't. Of course, maybe you'll like the TL's handling even better, and this will be an extra "addition." But I bet it won't be.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:19 PM
Not an Ashtray

Can't disagree with you at all.

In all honesty, I don't want to try it right away, because I'm afraid I'll want one!
Old 10-09-2003, 11:23 PM
More On

Originally posted by darth62
Can't disagree with you at all.

In all honesty, I don't want to try it right away, because I'm afraid I'll want one!
Have no fear. Not too much to "worry" about, unless you wind up liking the TL ride a lot more than the TSX ride.

You know, this thing about the TL being like "TSX on steroids" -- I think that's almost backwards. If anything, the TSX is the TL on steroids but without the swelling and weight gain. The TL is like the TSX after missing a few weeks at the gym.

P.S. Just being a little provocative. But I mostly mean it.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Kidd

as said before the TSX is a replacement for the four door integra...
The TSX is not a replacement for the Integra at all. If anything, the EL is closer to an Integra 4-door replacement, although the EL leans heavily on Civic styling. And there's no doubt that the EL is positioned below the TSX, right where the Integra would be.

The Integra is/was positioned differently, priced differently, and
appointed differently than the TSX. The TSX is a distinct step up from anything any Civic-based Integra 4-door was ever.

Furthermore, outside North America, the Acura RSX IS the Honda Integra. The Integra lives on and has not been replaced.

The Integra's next of kin--Civic, RSX, and (Canadian) EL--are built on the same platform as the Integra--which the TSX is distinctly NOT.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by larchmont
Have no fear. Not too much to "worry" about, unless you wind up liking the TL ride a lot more than the TSX ride.

You know, this thing about the TL being like "TSX on steroids" -- I think that's almost backwards. If anything, the TSX is the TL on steroids but without the swelling and weight gain. The TL is like the TSX after missing a few weeks at the gym.

P.S. Just being a little provocative. But I mostly mean it.
I still don't like the TSX's ride, but I also have to admit that I've gotten used to it and don't really care anymore.

I think I would like some of the extra features in the TL and the extra power. But, I could also seem myself holding onto the TSX a while longer.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Re: TL = TSX on steriods + a way to fool us Americans?

And why do we get jipped on making a so called "luxury named" car when it is a Honda... maybe well peeople can't justify paying for a 60K honda car (the RL)... so they had to go around the marketing scheme and make another name to fool us....

Familiar at all with who owns Jaquar (Ford) and Saab(GM)? These subs started out as independents then were bought by one of the big 3, yet it's common for them to share the same platform as many of the GM or Ford-branded models. Luxury "subsidiaries" (for lack of a better word) of companies normally known for lower-priced autos are nothing new. It's a matter of branding geared towards certain sectors of the market.

Or perhaps the TSX is the TL after popping a couple Midol...Not as bloated and just a tad perkier...
Old 10-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro

Re: TL = TSX on steriods + a way to fool us Americans?

Because if it was me, I can't justify paying another 6 to 8K for a car that don't really have THAT much of a HUGE difference... to me now...

Basically what you pay for IS the bigger engine and the bigger car. What else would people pay more for? The more money you spend the more power and bigger car you get, of course unless you plan to buy like a Lexus SC, but that's another subject. Everything you defined about why you wouldn't pay more for a TL is EXACTLY why someone will pay 6K more for a TL over a TSX, more power and bigger car. This just shows you how packed the TSX is with features.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:53 AM
More On

Re: Re: TL = TSX on steriods + a way to fool us Americans?

Originally posted by ricecake
......Or perhaps the TSX is the TL after popping a couple Midol...Not as bloated and just a tad perkier...
Not bad, not bad.

Or how about this, it's the rumble in the jungle: TSX vs. TL = Ali vs. Foreman

P.S. Let's see, who won that fight......

P.P.S. Please don't bring up "how do they look now."