Tinting Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting Question

Hello. I want to tint my TSX's windows but I have a few questions before I go forward with the decision. I've been debating with myself for weeks and none of my friends' cars have tinted windows so I can't preview anything. I'm planning to go with a 25% tint.

My question are as follows:

1. For those with "heavy" tints (25% up), is the road noticeably less visible at night? when it is raining/snowing? raining/snowing and at night?

2. Anyone here who is supposed to wear glasses to drive but doesn't? Does having tint makes you put your glasses back on to see?

3. Anyone here with 25% tint? Is it as dark as it sounds or it's still kinda see-through? (as in, someone can just look through the window without much focus)

4. Do you have to get used to it for awhile? If so, how long?

5. If 25% is actually agreeably still see-through, what % do you guys recommend for a really dark tint but without impairing visibility too much? 35% is my state's limit I think. I also want to keep the tint subtle; too much tint feels... (can't find word).

6. How does tint affect the auto dimming rearview mirror? I have a feeling that it'll dim too much (its own dimming combined with the tint) at night where I won't be able to see it at all. I don't want that to happen too often if it can't be avoided.

I took the time to sit in my dad's SUV and stare through the tinted window... but it doesn't feel like a good example. So any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i recently got 35% huper optik tints.

while visibly darker, it's not so bad that you can't see at night. you just need to get used to it. but overall, it doesn't hamper your visuals. it doesn't take long to adjust. if anything you need to adjust to the 'wet' look in the back window b/c if you go with thicker, ceramic tints, they take longer to cure fully.

i sometimes wear glasses when i drive at night. but even without them, i can still see through the tints. my vision isn't that bad. my glasses just help sharpen out what i see. but if you need to wear glasses, just wear them. better safe than sorry.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Background: I have a black/black TSX, 20% rear, 35% front tint)

1. 20% is perfectly visible at night, as long as it is not completely (i.e. pitch black) dark. A small amount of light behind you/next to you and you can see it just fine.

2. My vision stinks without glasses regardless of the tint. You're not (I hope) tinting your windshield, so this shouldn't be that serious of a change for you.

3. I have 20% on the rear of my TSX and it is still reasonably transparent. I like the look of it on my vehicle because someone walking by can't see in very well (since the interior of the vehicle is all black). I would have done 5% in the rear, but I have a very narrow garage and have to back in, so I felt more comfortable with a little bit better visibility. If you really don't want anyone to see in, you should go 5%. A good tint shop will probably have several vehicles in their lot with tint on them (if nothing else, the owners/employees probably will) and you can look at their vehicles for a better perspective. If you just want to keep the bright sunlight out and keep your car cooler in the summer (which is primarily what I wanted to do), then something like 20% would be good for you.

(As for my front windows, I went with 35% because front tint is not legal here and 35% is noticable but doesn't stand out in a crowd).

4/5. With 35%, you will have no adjustment at all. I wouldn't bother tinting at all if you're going to do 35% all around. If 35% is the limit for front windows (most states don't have that strict of limits on rear tint), go with 35% on the front and 20% on the rear. Based on your description of what you want ("subtle"), it's going to be your best compromise.

6. It doesn't seem to have changed the dimming effect of mine all that much. Besides, you still have side mirrors... But seriously, with 20% or less in the rear, you won't have a problem seeing other vehicles behind you.

About using the SUV as an example, you're right, it's not going to be exactly the same. Even if you measured that level of tint and got the same thing, it's going to "feel" slightly different in your car because most SUVs have factory tinted glass. If you tint your windows, you'll have tint film on them which (although it looks excellent if properly installed) is going to have a very slightly different visual appearance.

If you're even thinking a little bit about tinting, go for it. You won't be sorry that you did. If my TSX weren't my daily driver, I would have tinted it 5% all the way around...

-Bill
Old 06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
if you want to see 20 % tint PM me and you can sit in mine yo! Both Portland residents.