Thinking of TSX to replace V6 Passat

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:09 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of TSX to replace V6 Passat

Greetings from another newb:

So, my 1999 Passat is giving me heartbreak in the realibility department. (It's a great car but has been in the shop for the psat month ) I'm looking for something that's fun to drive and safe but is reliable enough to offer eight years of relatively trouble-free driving.

I thought I'd settled on the TSX but I see lots of niggling problems on this bulletin board. Bad bearings, rattles, leaky windshields, transmission syncros on the 6M, noisy above 61K. Are there more? If so, I'd like to know common gripes.

I know you guys are biased because you own the TSX (same as at clubb5.com for Passat owners). Having said that, I wonder if you think my expectations are out of line with what I'd get with the TSX in the reliability department.

FYI, I'm 38 yrs old. The Acura salesman thought I'd be happier with a V6 Accord. Sorry, that's too soft for me.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on this board is that people will always complain more about the problems than giving praise. If you search, you'll find that people have a lot of good things to say about this car as well.

My personal experience has been that the car is rock solid reliable. There are a few creaking sounds from the cold weather, but aside from that, I haven't had any of the other problems some people have experienced.

In the end, I think that you'll enjoy this car immensely if you take the plunge. Take an extended test drive if you can and see for yourself how good the TSX really is.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My TSX had a few minor problems, mostly related to first year production problems. For example, many 2004 TSX owners had the lights in the HVAC controls go dim. Other than that, I had a few minor problems with buzz in the audio speakers (again, a known problem on the first year TSX) and a problem with the seat moving a little during hard breaking. All of this was addressed quickly and painlessly by the dealer.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Cruisin'

VW purchased back my 2002 1.8T Passat a few months back due to reliablity issues. When looking for a replacement vehicle, reliablity went to the top of the list of features I was looking for. That is why I bypassed cars like Volvo and Saab. My 80 year old mother in law owns an Accord. I know I am getting up in years, but I couldn't get the same car as her. The TSX seemed like a good alternative. So far it has been trouble free.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:28 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
It amazes me that VW's resale values have remained relatively high in comparison to their long term reliability record. IMO - the TSX has brought more pleasure to me than any car I've previously owned. Maybe, I've been lucky, but I think for the most part, most of the quibbles we have here on this board are very minor. I mean seriously...did you read the thread about door locks not locking automatically --- sheesh!

I think (recent) VW's are mostly style and little substance/Acura's vice versa, but now styling has caught up.

Get your TSX on!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As a 38-year-old, I would go with the 05 TSX. I am usually not a huge fan of the first year of anything, but Honda did OK with the 04... but the 05 is better in build as well as features, I'm certain. You may have some door rattles but I kinda doubt it.

Forums are not representational - people with problems complain, people without don't... and people on car forums are often more critical than most anyway.

Just plan on upgrading the amp and speakers and you'll be set.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:54 PM
4th Gear

Upgrade the amp? Is the stock one a dog? Thought with the 360-watt description that it would be adequate (better than my Passat), but I've only taken a short drive. Didn't pay much attention to the stereo on the drive -- it was an AT. I'd go for the 6M, sans nav.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by maine-iac
Upgrade the amp? Is the stock one a dog? Thought with the 360-watt description that it would be adequate (better than my Passat), but I've only taken a short drive. Didn't pay much attention to the stereo on the drive -- it was an AT. I'd go for the 6M, sans nav.
It's not bad for a stock system, but doesn't satisfy the audiophiles. For everyday use, it's decent enough.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Disappearing rattles on the passenger side door. Right now, no rattles ... *crossfingers
Old 12-27-2004, 03:28 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moonroof rattle, bad wipers from factory - all dealer fixed

no major engine/tranny issues; best value for under 30k
Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 PM
G36
Instructor

Don't forgrt, this car really isn't in it's second year, here in the US it is. This car has been around awhile in Europe. This is the European Accord!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Racer

One of the great things about the Internet is that it allows everyone to have a voice and to be heard. Naturally, those that bark the loudest are the ones that are not pleased. And, there is always some of them. Giving the complexity of modern automobiles and the competitive pressures, there will be some defects. What about the fellow that buys a $250,000 car and the clutch goes out at 5000 miles? Or, the Rolls Royce with a bad wheel bearing that cost $170.00. Then, when the owner gets the wheel bearing it has "Ford Motor Company" stamped on it.

When I shopped for a car, I did my research and found plenty of problems with every model. You would not believe how my TSB's were on one model, how many recalls on another, how many defects with another, and so on. I looked for three things on the web: 1) A large percentage of satisfied owners 2) Minimum "out of service time" and 3) Responsive dealer's that took care of the customer. I found all three with both Honda and Acura -- but a little more so, IMO, with Acura; as one might expect.

I obtained my PWP TSX from Apple Tree Acura in Fletcher, NC (near Asheville) on 5 Oct., 2004 and have been 100 percent satisfied. I have 4500 miles on the car and thus far have had zero problems, zero defects, zero rattles, and so on. It drives great and handles both dry and wet roads better than my previous cars. I doesn't seem to handle snow and ice as well as my Pontiac Grand Am and Pontiac 6000, but that could be due to my increased apprehension (I don't worry about banging up the 6000 -- it has a Fair Market Value of $50.00). Or, it could be the wider and larger tires with more surface area. The car is tight and a joy to drive. I knew that Honda and Acura had a reputation for reliability, with the exception of some transmissions and some minor problems with brake rotors, so I am hopeful that the car will provide at least 200K miles of reliable service.

I am giving some thought to replacing the tires and the rear sway bar with the objective of making the cornering even better. As of right now, I haven't been behind anything on the mountain roads that I didn't want to pass at the first opportunity except for a couple of two wheel sport bikes -- and I could stay with them. I was running with a 325i a couple of weeks ago and he was pushing it. Believe it or not, a KIA was a challenge; but he was all over the road and squealing the tires on nearly every curve. In contrast, I stay on my side of the road around curves unless I can clearly see ahead. Note: Considering the crash ratings for the KIA, I certainly wouldn't be pushing one hard.

For some photos, see:
http://www.psiprograms.com/cImages/TSX/
http://www.psiprograms.com/cImages/TSX/Page2

No car is without potential defects and problems. From my research, and based upon sources such as J. D. Edwards, Consumer Reports, and customer feedback, the TSX is near the top when it comes to quality of parts and workmanship, reliability, and dealer responsiveness.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Instructor

I went from '03 passat to '04 TSX and I am really happy with the increase in performance, fit and finish, and over quality/reliability. The electrical system and drivetrain are top notch and can take a beating. I haven't experienced too many of the problems listed above, maybe just a few rattles in the doors with the system up loud. I added two 10" subwoofers and turned down the bass on the head unit, sounds perfectly balanced and great. Overall, a HUGE improvement on the horribly unreliable car/service of the VW. Get the TSX, if you need or want more, look at the TL. Both are awesome.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Drifting

maine-iac, it's true, we are picky and critical. and we still got the tsx. all of the above guys have been right on. the only problem i'm having so far is the windshield rattle (when it's 60 or below). i'm not too crazy about the stock rim/tire setup either, but it's decent i guess.

i'm sure the 05 will be a little better than the 04. i like vws, but the reliability (mostly electrical) hasn't been as good as i would like it to be. some relatives/friends that have vws feel the same way. so far (after 11k), i haven't had any issues other than that rattle.

the radio is fine for everyday use. personally, i think acura's got some of the best stock systems around (3rd gen tl soundsystem....). if you want some more refinement or power, you may want to make some mods accordingly.

get the tsx, you won't be disappointed. for under/around 30k, this is the best car you're going to get that combines luxury, quality, performance, and design. i'm sure you've seen that the tsx has everything included w/nav and tranny as the only options. personally, i'm recommending the tsx to everyone i know, even though i really don't want to see even more of them on the road. good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

We had an '02 Passat GLX wagon prior to our '05 TSX. The Passat had a suprbly executed interior, excellent exterior build quality, but had some major problems that made both of us very nervous. The worst problem we experienced was a porous transmission case, which leaked oil, for which VW replaced the entire transmission.
Following the new transmission install, I found a bolt lying under the car in my garage. I took it to VW and was acused, by the service rep, of "fooling aound"(sic) with the car!
When we turned the car in at the end of the lease it was making an odd noise, maybe a portent of things to come.
We've only had our TSX for one week and already we are wild about it! How can Acura sell a car like the TSX for the amount charged? What a remarkable value!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:46 PM
ric
Safety Car

So, my 1999 Passat is giving me heartbreak in the realibility department. (It's a great car but has been in the shop for the psat month ) I'm looking for something that's fun to drive and safe but is reliable enough to offer eight years of relatively trouble-free driving.

I thought I'd settled on the TSX but I see lots of niggling problems on this bulletin board. Bad bearings, rattles, leaky windshields, transmission syncros on the 6M, noisy above 61K. Are there more? If so, I'd like to know common gripes.

I know you guys are biased because you own the TSX (same as at clubb5.com for Passat owners). Having said that, I wonder if you think my expectations are out of line with what I'd get with the TSX in the reliability department.

FYI, I'm 38 yrs old. The Acura salesman thought I'd be happier with a V6 Accord. Sorry, that's too soft for me.
If you pursue the search tool, you will find a number of VW "converts" on this site, mostly war-weary from maintenance issues and electrical failures. I had a 2001 VW Jetta GLX V6, a deceptively packaged little knockabout car that I enjoyed a great deal until it hit 50,000 miles and seemed to disintigrate daily, although the ingenuity of the new problems was forever a changing array of challenges. They did concentrate in the electrical arena, forcing me to have the #^&%*$(@*& towed from the parking garage where it lived at night.......One of my partner's Passat endured a similar transition, though his started to deteriorate at 40,000 miles. I ended up turning mine in several months before the end of the lease.

VW interiors are well-thought out, but I fail to see why the demands of a cupholder should be such a mystery to German engineering. The Passat's were extraordinarily inept, and the Jetta's quite laughable. In addition, I found the coy concealment of the CD changer in the trunk was not fun in the wind, rain or snow....... when one needed to change the cassettes. Again, the concept of an in-dash CD player has been mastered by most manufacturers.

I test drove a number of vehicles, and had it narrowed down to the TL and TSX, expecting, actually to lease the TL. The TSX proved to be way too much fun. I have had it for just under 10,000 and expect to fully load at least 70,000 miles on it before the lease is up. To date, I have experienced one niggling squeak, which I hope to have disposed of when I take it in for its first service run.

The posting by Holloman indicates where the TSX is brilliant - linked turns on tight curves - are more fun than the law allows. THe rest of the time, the car is just merely a lot of fun. It is smaller than the Accord, but the Accord is rather lifeless and bloodless (although a very accommplished family sedan). The TSX is a sporty, very nimble, reasonably economical and very comfortably fitted out small sedan that will be a delight for one or two folks, and can handle two in the back without torture.

I have rapidly grown to appreciate the simplicity of the dash and control layout, which are so deceptively clean as to make one believe that something has been left out by the manufacturer. And- the CD player is in the dash, the center console actually supports my elbow, and the drinkholder actually holds my coffee without sloshing it when I turn.....

My car is one of a "fleet" of company cars, selected and primarily assigned by each partner, but used by the staff when we are not using them. The 'acid test" of the fleet is which one is the most popular - I will confess that mine outdraws a BMW, and is easily preferred over the Volvo S60. Several folks have refused to return the keys, and most folks return with a grin on their face, even if the trip has been the prosaic mail run between two of our offices..........

Honda/Acura drives their prices below the competition by keeping the number of options to a minimum, thus simplifying manufacturing and inventory issues. I assume that the price savings is what is being passed on to the consumer, as their reliability is quite high. The reliability for the TSX is not yet established in this country, but the car's accolades include such diverse "wins" as being C & D's top ten for two years in a row and Consumer Report's "Recommended' car in its category.

and, for the record, I'm 56, and enjoy driving a car that people don't expect me to drive.....................
Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Racer

Most amazing point about the initial post was the 'Acura salesman recommended the Accord" What the #8($&^????? Bizarre.

TSX is a great car - reliability-wise it blows the Passat away (though it is a beautful car and with the turbodiesel is a blast to drive too).
Old 12-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm currently driving a 04 TSX auto/ no nav as a loaner for two days. This is the my second time getting a 04 TSX for a loaner. My friends and i have been out with the car ALL DAY today, and i gotta say that THAT TSX IS REALLY FUN. Coming from a TL-S Nav, even though the TSX doesn't really have tire-burning power, it's smoother, handles better, more fun to drive.....i'd seriously consider buying a TSX as a second car just to beat around on.....it is so fun i can't stop driving it. I can't imagine how fun a 05 TSX in a 6MT with Nav could be!

Here are the problems that i found with the TSX which would not stop be from buying one if i were in the market for one:

1- front pillar rattles....yeah, they rattle a lot....if i owned it i'd go and have em fix it.

2- a tad unstable on the highway because of the lightweight car....but nothing serious or unsafe.

3- gawddamn horn is SO easy to push in!...it's almost funny...

that's it....parking brake by the shifter is really useful.......
also, of course it's a HONDA so reliablily and long lasting mechanics is great.

i'd definitely recommend this car to ANYONE.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

We purchased a TSX '04 demo AT from a local dealer...(had 6400mi on the clock)

...we have had the car for a few weeks the thing is awesome, not one problem--plus it came with a 7yr warranty per Acura Cert. used program. No squeaks, bumps, or rattles and it really cold out up here.

We also have a '00 Accord Coupe -- it's never had any major issues...and still going strong--and I beat the crap out of that car.

I think you will be very happy with a TSX.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:52 AM
4th Gear

Thanks folks. It's reassuring to hear about the reliability. My Passat has been great except for the reliability; the TSX offers just about every feature from the Passat but with the realibility to boot. (Does the TSX have puddle lights under the doors? I didn't check that on the test drive) The achilles heel of older Passats were the control arms, but I've had other problems as well. The car was in for an engine rattle and they ended up frying a head while putzing with the timing belt adjuster before figuring out it was the water pump all along. Then the timing belt tensioner broke because of the inept repairs, necessitating another head replacement. The car has two new heads, new timing belt, new water pump and new front brakes. (All covered by 100k warranty except the brakes) Sort of hard to let it go because it has only 47K on the odo! But my trust has been shaken both in the car and in the local service dept.

Anyway, back to the TSX, I'm looking for a car that's as fun as the Passat (V6, 5M, 16-inch rims--laughable now, but decent back in 1999!) As for reliability, I know about the Acura reputation. I'm also aware of Honda's weak trannies (as noted above); our Odyssey has one of those. Surely the 6M can handle 200hp! I think the TSX would hold together for many miles, but I'm more worried about the niggling things. If I get a TSX, I can get it serviced locally for oil changes but I'd have to drive an hour to get it to the nearest dealer -- in Hampton Beach, N.H. That would be a PITA to do on a regular basis.

So thanks for the comments. It's reassuring.

BTW, zircon, I think the sales guy was trying to steer me to an Accord because they sold both cars, and perhaps I don't fit the demographic for this car. I also had been asking him about a Type S, and said I'd be disappointed if I bought the 200hp only to have the Type S come out a few months later.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

I'm a convert from a 2001.5 1.8T Passat. It had approx. 55,000 miles and things just started to go wrong around 50,000. It was leased and I put way too much money into the thing since it only had 2 yr./24,000 mile warranty. And the rattles were almost unbearable. I do not, and I repeat, DO NOT miss the turbo lag.

I am now the happy owner of a 2005 Milano Red TSX. I've only had it about 3 weeks and have noticed a couple of temperature dependant rattles but nothing that is continuous. The steering is much tighter and responsive that the Passat. I must say that the Passat had a couple of features that I miss, but I love my new TSX.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Advanced

VW builds some exciting cars; I think the R32 would be fantastic--but I refuse to consider VW products because of their reliability issues. Look at Consumer Reports: VWs are way below average in reliability. I've had only great results with Honda products in that regard. Thanks to Ric for his thoughtful post; I'm also a more chronologically gifted if not mature driver. I returned my S2000 at the end of its lease with regret, and only the prospect of my soon-to-arrive TSX PWP/AT/Navi keeps me from feeling sad now.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:13 PM
7th Gear

Go for it and don't look back...
Old 12-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Had an 05 Nav/CG/AT for a few weeks now. zero rattles, zero problems at all. I consider myself pretty picky driver.

Only problem is the power, which seems adequate when downshifting anyway.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Racer

i say dont buy the tsx, only cuz it's becoming so common to see around this area. my once rare beauty is now everyone's whip, and that sux.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

The TSX and V6 Passat are our two cars. Here's my comparision: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=passat+tsx
and: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=passat+tsx
VW service makes Acura service seem like a dream, FWIW.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts

I'm one of those many people who complained about rattles in the car. But to put that into perspective for you, I wrote maybe 2 or 3 posts about the rattles, souding all pissed off the day I discovered them, but each time they only happened for a couple of days and then went away. My last rattles were a few weeks ago after a long drive in 0 C weather. Since then it's been a lot colder and then it went to around -1 again, and no rattles. I've driven for a couple of hours on bumpy roads today and nothing. So sometimes people complain about these thing but it doesn't necessairly mean it's a big problem with the car.

Overall I LOVE this car, it's my baby, and I love sitting in it holding the steering wheel. I get a big gring every time I take a curve. No regrets at all.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, I tried a V6 4Motion 2003 Passat last week, and the rattles in my TSX were not much compared to that in the passenger side door panel. It was pretty bad, and wouldn't go away. It sounded like 2 cheap plastics rubbing away at each other, just like you'd hear in an old Pontiac Trans-Sport.

Needless to say I wasn't impressed...
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 AM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maine-iac, the TSX is a fine car. Handles the twisties with style, feels very connected to the road, has lots of toys, usable torque over 3000 RPM and Honda reliability. This is a much better car than my wife's Jetta 1.8T and has very few problems (none for me, just what the other's complain about). I live on the North Shore and bought from Acura of Peabody, Hampton, NH is my fall back. Your concerns about the distance from the dealer are valid but you probably won't need to go there unless you arer very picky about minor rattles. The TSX is a solid car, from a reliable manufacturer and should give many years of trouble-free driving ENJOYMENT! My only desire for the car is a bit more low-end torque (came from a Maxima). Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
10th Gear

I don't know...the new (future) Passat is growing on me!

TSX in my future!