Thinking of purchasing a TSX in the future...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of purchasing a TSX in the future...

I am 17 and I am saving up money to buy a car, right now I drive a P.O.S. 92 Ford Tauras. (Hey what can I say, it was free and has 39k miles and I get free gas) Whatever I save up, my father is going to double. (IE- I save up 6k, he gives me 12k, and I have 18k to spend) Now before this I really liked the 2001 Lexus IS300 and thought I was going to go after that. But now after driving my friends TL Type-S, I like the Acura make and I am highly considering buying a TSX. I will most likely be able to purchase a car in the spring sometime before summer. Right now I am going with the TSX, what do you guys think? And how much do you think I would need to get a used TSX? I am thinking maybe 18k? Let me know guys, please give me some feedback. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:48 AM
Racer

You wont regret getting a tsx new or used. For guys like you and I that are 17-18 this ride is pretty pimped for guys our age. My friend ordered his 2004 mercedes 230 kompressor and he said its pretty pimped. Most ppl who get in the car the first thing they say is how nice the interior is, second is how smoothe the handling is, third is did you see that guys girl friend check out your car (imo girls in vancouver like luxury cars more than the sports cars except the expensive shit)
Old 11-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
It'll be tough to get a used TSX for 18K that's in good shape. Also, with your location get ready to bend over when it comes to insurance. You might be able to afford the car but not the insurance. Save your money and drive that free POS some more.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker
It'll be tough to get a used TSX for 18K that's in good shape. Also, with your location get ready to bend over when it comes to insurance. You might be able to afford the car but not the insurance. Save your money and drive that free POS some more.

Why not drive that POS another year or two? You will be able to save more money for even a better car, posssibly a brabd new one as opposed to a used one. You mentioned that you realy liked your friends TL, why not save to get that?

If you are going to go for a used TSX, then I would suggest test driving one but dont compare it to the TL. It will be hard to find a TSX for $18K. Do you want to take out a loan? If thats not a problem with you, then there may be somebody on this board thinking about selling theirs. See below link to the Ramblings section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17923

Old 11-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Racer

Before buying any car, be sure to check with your insurance agent and determine what the rate will be. At your age, there can be a major variance in rates based upon the automobile. I have a feeling that the TSX will be towards the high end of the scale.

One option is to put the car, and insurance, in your parent's name -- even though you are the one that will drive it most of the time. Then, every time you are on the road, remember that if you have an accident it will likely impact your parent's rates for years to come.

And, don't let other driver's, or passengers, prod you into driving differently than you would if they were not around. I never had others trying to pick street fights with me when I was in my Cyclone, GTO, or Grand Am, but I have several instances of it since I got the TSX. As one example, I had a young kid, in a Prelude, come blowing by my left side on an off ramp the other day (in other words, he passed me on the off ramp). It is just a matter of time before he will be in an accident -- or gets or ticket for reckless driving -- or both. Some states have a severe penalty for "racing" and it is usually up to the cop to say if you were "racing" or not.

Otherwise, the TSX is a good, safe, car. It is a good size, is fairly easy to maneuver in tight quarters, is easy to park, gets good gas mileage, warms up quickly, and will likely hold its value well. The estimated total cost of ownership (TCO) for the TSX can be surprising low -- and is likely to be less than many domestic models.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

....Also, with your location get ready to bend over when it comes to insurance. You might be able to afford the car but not the insurance.....
Search for some of the NJ insurance threads here.

Here's one to get you started. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Race Director

Thanks DEI, hey buddy down the line i might be selling my car, and i might have alot of things that would appeal to you. Just something to keep in mind, drop me a PM in a few weeks or so, we might be able to work something out
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by DEI99662

Why not drive that POS another year or two? You will be able to save more money for even a better car, posssibly a brabd new one as opposed to a used one. You mentioned that you realy liked your friends TL, why not save to get that?

If you are going to go for a used TSX, then I would suggest test driving one but dont compare it to the TL. It will be hard to find a TSX for $18K. Do you want to take out a loan? If thats not a problem with you, then there may be somebody on this board thinking about selling theirs. See below link to the Ramblings section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17923

You'll be going to college soon. If you are going away to college, Freshman usually can't bring their cars the first year. And then your sophmore - senior year your car will spend most of it's time sitting in the parking lot. If you go to a school like NYU then it won't even be practical to have a new car. You should keep saving money and buy the car new rather than used.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Luke 1:37

If you get a TSX as your next car, then you better be ready to step up to a more luxurious car after this one. I don't know what your financial situation will be in a few years, but I like to step up in luxury each time I decide to get a new car. For me, I started driving a 1983 Volvo DL station wagon during high school, then I moved onto a 1991 Volvo 740 Turbo Sedan during college and now I'm driving a 1998 Acura Integra LS Coupe. See how I'm gradually stepping up in luxury which parallels my financial status. Now that I've been out of college for 3+ years working full time, I'm looking to upgrade in the spring. Maybe a new TL/TSX or used TL/TSX. I believe this is the best way to go at it.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I'm with the others here who think you should keep the beater for a while longer. It will allow you to accrue more mone and then you can get a new car when the time comes. Plus, if you're going to be in college soon, you may not even be able to drive the car that much. Amass your savings for an additional 4 years and you may be able to get a decent used TSX that you would have money to mod.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Why blow all your moeny on a car? You'll need it for an education.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:12 AM
7th Gear

One option is to put the car, and insurance, in your parent's name -- even though you are the one that will drive it most of the time. Then, every time you are on the road, remember that if you have an accident it will likely impact your parent's rates for years to come.

This is what I had planned on doing, otherwise it is not even worth getting a car like this.

I wont be paying for my own college education, and may take a year off first so that is no problem for me.

Thanks for your input so far, and keep the advice coming!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:53 AM
ric
Safety Car

Oh, hell, I'd hold your dad to the 2/1 deal but take a raincheck -( if you can, both you and he could stash the bucks in a basic mutual fund fund, pick up a few bucks on the accrual over a few years and increase your buying potential) , at least until you know where you're going to college or - wait until you graduate. Am concerned that any used TSX in your price range will have been beaten to death to bring it down to your budget (RMATIC09's might be a good deal, but the rear deck is going to be infested with eels, I can guarantee you).

If' you're taking a year off to beat around, travel, do stuff, better to do that in a knocker than a newer car, even with the challenges of older car maintenance - that old Ford with 40,000 is not that bad; if it has been well tended to, it's got at least another 40 in it before it starts to rack up the repair bills. And - if/when you do go to school, they may have restrictions on cars for the first year or you may choose some urban school where keeping a car is an exercise in insanity (which is why RMATIC09 is looking to sell.................) - far better to walk away from a beater than a car you really care about. There are a lot of guys posting on this website who have new or nearly new TSX's as their first car, and some of them have noted the challenges of keying, other random vandalism, minor accidents that occur to new testosterone-laden drivers, etc - better to work that shit out on an old beater.

The TSX is a major addition to the Acura lineup, and will be around with minor mods for more than a few years........... I don't see what you loose by waiting for a year or two at least, until your life takes a defined trajectory.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Sorry don't mean to rain on your parade but I just don't think cars in the class of TSX/TL
suit 17/18 year-olds in terms of financial aspects & style.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by matelot
Sorry don't mean to rain on your parade but I just don't think cars in the class of TSX/TL

I just turned 22 and my Dad is hooking me up with the 2/1 deal too... so i'm putting down 15,000 and he's putting down 30,000...but i'll be working next yr pulling in 6 digits! haha.. so i'm giving him my signing bonus.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by uworich

I just turned 22 and my Dad is hooking me up with the 2/1 deal too... so i'm putting down 15,000 and he's putting down 30,000...but i'll be working next yr pulling in 6 digits! haha.. so i'm giving him my signing bonus.
Jesus..what do you do for a living?.. I need to change careers.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What are you jealous? So what if kids have it easy enough to be able to afford a TSX right away! I know I would have bought one if I had the money...
Old 11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
has been here awhile

Here we go again...

Another dead horse being beaten...

(BTW--no disrespect intended. This has proven to be a rather heated topic around these parts)
Old 11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Jesus..what do you do for a living?.. I need to change careers.
Banking... which means i wont' be able to drive my car a whole lot, but i'll have the satisfaction of owning it. haha.. =)
Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Race Director

well, i think your wrong.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sauceman
What are you jealous? So what if kids have it easy enough to be able to afford a TSX right away! I know I would have bought one if I had the money...
nothing to do with jealousy or whatever. He can buy a Bentley for all i care. and bless him.
Just stating my opinion is all.
I just think cars in this price range and above are too much "responsibility"
for 17-year old.
I'd love to get a TSX when I was 17
Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just think cars in this price range and above are too much "responsibility"
for 17-year old.
You gotta be kidding. That's actually pretty lame. Whether you are a driver that's 16 or 65, in a car, no matter which one, you bear the same kind of responsability: Drive safe, and keep everyone around you safe. It applies to everyone, whether they drive a friggin Pinto or an Enzo.

Being a TSX driver has nothing to do with age. There's this small group of members here who are bitter about kids getting their TSX's paid by their parents at 16 years old. These people can get bitter on many things because they can't be happy for other folks' good fortune, they would have to have it all themselves. And all it does is make them miserable.

I say good for the kids. Now you got a big responsability with keeping the TSX flawless, learn to wear those shoes, and wear them well!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

:padlock:

One aspect of the TSX appeals to me for young 'uns - it can be found here and here. If that's what mommy and daddy want to buy for their kid, I couldn't care less. Better that than another Escalade on the road.

jcg, who thinks these arguments are dumb
:padlock: