Thinking About Getting a Mazdaspeed3

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, you guys get it cheap. The equivalent to the TSX here is 31k for the non-navi, while the Mazdaspeed3 is 29.6k.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by taylor314gh
eh, actually it is only 100 pounds lighter- 3260 vs 3156. It is also a smaller car; what i ment was that the increased HP might be deceptive when comparing to other cars, like for instance the Si, which is 300 pounds lighter than the ms3, or the STI, etc.
Even with the 300 pound advantage, the Si is slower. Just calculate power to weight ratios.

TSX: 3260/205 = 15.9 lb/hp
Si: 2960/197 = 15.0 lb/hp
MS3: 3156/263 = 12 lb/hp

While the Si accelerates only slightly faster than the TSX, the MS3 will be a very big step up in acceleration.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
He ended up selling it after 3 years and got a Saab 9-3, looking for reliability. I guess that when your car is that unreliable, everything else looks good...
Which Mazdaspeed is that? The MS3 has not been out for 3 years. Heck, the MS6 hasn't been out for 3 years.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Go for it. I call dibs on everything on your tsx.
that is messed up!!! ummm.. amadeus303 pm first!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
I say go for it... You got nothing to lose!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Car Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Which Mazdaspeed is that? The MS3 has not been out for 3 years. Heck, the MS6 hasn't been out for 3 years.
That was the Mazdaspeed Protege, which existed in MY 2003 and 2004. Turbo 2.0l engine, good for 170hp (0-60 6.9 sec.).
Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Race Director

Shouldn't the Mazdaspeed6 be a better comparison or is that for the TL.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
TSX4EVR

Since your father in law works for Ford and you want power, how about the Shelby GT500. It's a few more bucks, but you will never want for power.

I love my TSX but I'm not on the page that it is the only car. There are lots of great cars and lots of different people have different wants and needs and these can certainly change over time.

There was a time that I had the same passion for my Ford Escape as I do for my TSX. At the time that I purchased the Escape it was the perfect car for me. My needs changed and so did my preference in automobiles.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

(ps a friend told me that their cousin bought a GT500 and for what ever reason dedided to pick it up in Vancouver and drive it home to Edmonton. He got caught in the first snow storm of the season in Golden and crashed his brand new car. Yikes)

Excited
Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a great car. Just as long as you accept that you will be paying for more repairs/spending more time in the shop because 1) you'll drive it harder, and 2) it's not a Honda or Toyota.

I was considering a mazda3 hatch as a 2nd car within the last couple of weeks and, despite consumer reports giving it a good rating, i sure found a LOT of people that posted in various forums about primarily the Check Engine Light (CEL) coming on anywhere from 3 years down the road to 3 minutes off the new car lot due to any number of reasons, ranging from a loose gas cap to cheap-ass parts in the fuel system (e.g., the fuel pump is apparently located inside the fuel tank) - and Mazda has had 3 years to address many of the issues people are having. Also several reports of stalling or near-stalling vehicles. Keep in mind, however, that at no time did I ever read about the Mazdaspeed3, so YMMV (we're going with a Subaru Impreza RS instead of a Mazda).

Just as long as you accept what you're getting in to and are ok with it, then have fun, damn it!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
That was the Mazdaspeed Protege, which existed in MY 2003 and 2004. Turbo 2.0l engine, good for 170hp (0-60 6.9 sec.).
Totally different family of engines. I doubt you'd get the same problem on the MS3 though...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by aaronng
Totally different family of engines. I doubt you'd get the same problem on the MS3 though...
agreed; the 2.3 is probably much better... i just hope that they resolved all the other issues!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Racer

If you like the way the Mazdaspeed 3 looks and feel comfortable on a long drive in the interior than I would say go for it by all means.

I am just not a big fan of hatchbacks, but that car is an amazing all around package.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Instructor

I currently drive an '05 Mazda3 hatch. I'm currently at ~33000 miles on the odometer. It's definitely a great car for what you pay. The handling is good and the interior is better than average. I'm assuming the speed3 will be very similar with just a lot more power and even better handling. For $24,000, it really can't be beat.

Before I owned my Mazda3, I owned a '93 Civic and an '01 Prelude. I decided to try Mazda based on the great reviews. With my Mazda at 33000 miles, I can can tell you in all truthfullness that my Civic and Prelude held up better to the 30,000 mile mark. I'm not talking about serious problems, I'm talking about all the small things ranging from how well the windows roll up/down to how responsive the transmission/engine has remained and little squeeks and rattles. Honda's just holds up better and feel "new" longer. I'm ready to switch back to honda for my next car and I drool over the TSX constantly.

But...I can't compare my Mazda to a TSX because I have never driven one. The reason I haven't driven a TSX is because I have a bad habit of buying cars right after the test drive and I'm still wanting to drive my Mazda through the winter and spring (since it's the most taxing time for a car with all the rain and temperature fluxuations).

I don't know if I could go from a TSX back to a Mazda though, simply based on what I've read about the TSX. But 263hp 280tq would definitely persuade me.

Oh and just as a note:
The speed3 dynos, according to the Mazda techs, 242whp and 282wtq. So the torque rating on the speed3 is under-rated. (it's actually more like 263hp and 300tq at the flywheel)
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Thanks... that was a really helpful post. The comments that come from actual (or at one time) owners of Mazdas and Hondas are ones that I put extra "weight" on since they have first-hand experience over time with both vehicles.

Originally Posted by Roffles
I currently drive an '05 Mazda3 hatch. I'm currently at ~33000 miles on the odometer. It's definitely a great car for what you pay. The handling is good and the interior is better than average. I'm assuming the speed3 will be very similar with just a lot more power and even better handling. For $24,000, it really can't be beat.

Before I owned my Mazda3, I owned a '93 Civic and an '01 Prelude. I decided to try Mazda based on the great reviews. With my Mazda at 33000 miles, I can can tell you in all truthfullness that my Civic and Prelude held up better to the 30,000 mile mark. I'm not talking about serious problems, I'm talking about all the small things ranging from how well the windows roll up/down to how responsive the transmission/engine has remained and little squeeks and rattles. Honda's just holds up better and feel "new" longer. I'm ready to switch back to honda for my next car and I drool over the TSX constantly.

But...I can't compare my Mazda to a TSX because I have never driven one. The reason I haven't driven a TSX is because I have a bad habit of buying cars right after the test drive and I'm still wanting to drive my Mazda through the winter and spring (since it's the most taxing time for a car with all the rain and temperature fluxuations).

I don't know if I could go from a TSX back to a Mazda though, simply based on what I've read about the TSX. But 263hp 280tq would definitely persuade me.

Oh and just as a note:
The speed3 dynos, according to the Mazda techs, 242whp and 282wtq. So the torque rating on the speed3 is under-rated. (it's actually more like 263hp and 300tq at the flywheel)
Old 11-20-2006, 12:08 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i agree with most on this thread. if you like the looks and feel of the speed3, then go for it.

i haven't driven it, but from seeing pics and reading reviews, it looks like an awesome little car.

there was a time when i thought that mazadas were just "rebadged" fords, but from hearing from other mazda owners, it looks like they're really starting to build quality cars. (i think the cx-7 is so cool.)

personally i probably wouldn't get a mazda3 because i think the tsx is the perfect size. but that's just me. if i was younger, i'd be all over the mazda3. i prefer the looks over the new civic sedan.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think my biggest concern about the Speed3, which was something that annoyed me a great deal with the Speed6, is the clutch. If the clutch is the same, I wouldn't even consider a Speed3. Too on/off and not enough linearity to the feel.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

I currently own a 97 Miata, but previously had a 1990 626. My parents also owned a Millenia.

I will say that in our experience, we have been nothing but satisfied with the reliability of our Mazdas. My 1990 626 had 190,000 miles on it when I was rear ended. 15 years and the car looked great (I took wonderful care of it). Still had original clutch. Really routine maintenance. Had to replace the CV joints at about 120K and a $80 A/C issue were the biggest items. It just ran and ran and ran. It developed some rattles and buzzes, but not until well over 100K. Just a wonderful car I could always trust. Felt like it had a lot of life left when it was towed away....

My Miata is also great on the reliability side. However, besides being noisy (sports car/convertible), I do have probably 3-4 good rattles that drive me nuts. The A/C sometimes doesn't work properly. Doesn't bother me too much except on those roasting days we sometimes get. Too cheap to go fix it.... Other than that, not a lick of trouble with anything. I got 75K on it now and bought it used, so it wasn't maintained to my exacting standards. Mechanically sound for sure. Same with my folks old Millenia. Sold it with 150K on the clock. Very little trouble.

I'm intrigued by this thread because I am considering either the MS3 or the TSX. Unfortunately the local dealership will not allow test drives unless you have agreed to a price, etc, then you can drive it before you sign the dotted line. No thanks for the hassle. I'm still thinking about it but in all actuality leaning towards the TSX. My reasoning? A non-nav 3 is about 24,500 MSRP. I have been emailed offers on a non-nav TSX for ~$25,500. The MS3's are not going out the door for much under full sticker, and I feel like the TSX offers far more than $1,000 in "extras" over the MS3 that make it too good of a deal. Add $2K for the navi on both cars, but the Mazda is not voice activated and not touch screen. You have to use the joystick and enter buttons for everything. The system really blows, and I wouldn't get it on the Mazda, I'd for sure get the one on the Acura.

Also, check out some of the Mazdaspeed3 forums regarding the Ford/S Plan pricing. I can get S Plan on Mazdas, but apparently there was a directive from Mazda HQ (not a dealer choice) that S Plan was NOT going to be honored on the Mazdaspeed 3. That really kinda put a damper on my thoughts. It is a great deal at sticker, but the TSX is another level of luxury abov that for very little extra. However, if you're a speed junky, the power might mean more to you than the luxury items. I'm not so sure it does for me (otherwise I wouldn't be driving a Miata).

Other little things: Acura 4 year warranty plus loaner, Mazda is 3 years no loaner. Acura dealership experience vs Mazda's very average experience. Resale is likely higher on the Acura, though I'm sure the Mazdaspeed will likely be high as well. CR gives both cars pretty high marks for reliability (regular 3). And based on my past history with Mazdas, and several Hondas, our Mazdas have actually cost us less to keep on the road and held up better, though the 91 Accord certainly felt more plush through the years than the 1990 Mazda.

If you like it, go for it. And it makes a difference that you are going from TSX to MS3. For someone looking to buy either one, I just feel the TSX features and luxury more than cover up the lacking power for just a tad bit more money. Not sure I've decided that 100%, but maybe if I can drive the MS3 I can make a better decision. I just don't want to play that stupid game either....
Old 11-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Racer

i was considering MS3. I didn't test drive it, I just set inside at the car show and realized that it's not for me... I wanted luxury and not performance and MS3 to me felt cheaply made, just like my wife's M6 feels... the next day I bought TSX
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced

I just traded my 02 Mazda MPV for a Toyota Highlander (wife liked it more than the Pilot and the RDX).

In the 4.5 years that we had it, it held up fairly well. Nice all around car/van. The engine did have 2 major issues - the PCV valve cracked and needed to be replaced. This was a recall issue, but even after being fixed once, it happend a second time. Nice replacement parts, eh?

In the last 6 months, the engine just wasn't as responsive, and the ride was slightly rougher. I'd say it was worth the price in the long run.

The Highlander V6 Sport 4x4 has been fun, too

Todd
Old 11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I think if I were 10 years younger and more into the hot-hatch thing than I am now (at a ripe, old 39), the Mazdaspeed 3 would be at the top of my list. Especially if you're like me and tire of a car after two or three years, in which case longevity isn't really an issue although day-to-day reliability still is. Any car can be a lemon or a dud, but the incidence seems lower with Honda or Toyota than Mazda. Those gaps, over time, are closing though.

Here's one thing I always try to imagine: once the newness of the car wears off and the hp becomes something you're used to -- which it will to some degree -- will you be happy getting into your car every day? I can honestly say that, after a little more than two years and 40k miles, I still look forward to getting into my TSX every morning and evening. Literally.

If you do drive the 'speed3, I'll sure be anxious to hear your impressions. On paper and from the news, it sounds awesome. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I haven't driven a MS3, but the regular Mazda3 was fun to drive, and I think Mazda makes some pretty cool cars. The MS3 made R&T's top 10 under 30k cars recently too

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4206
Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Racer

i don't think these two cars can really be compared as they meant to attract different buyers... Although, I have to admit that I would've gotten MS3 if it offered AWD & AT transmission as an option (I believe in Japan it does offer AWD). To have so much power and torque in a FWD is a waste IMHO.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

my mom has a tribute

its a POS

passanger rear door stopped working, at about 15K miles
brakes start squeeking every few months ( Mazda has replaced the brake pads about a dozen times now)
and one day it wouldnt start and we had to get it towed to the dealership.. the anti-theft system turned on and wouldnt allow the engine to start

just one big headache
Old 11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Racer

2003 M6 in the family, 45k miles and no problems.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think my biggest concern about the Speed3, which was something that annoyed me a great deal with the Speed6, is the clutch. If the clutch is the same, I wouldn't even consider a Speed3. Too on/off and not enough linearity to the feel.
Unfortunately, it does feel the same.... The TSX clutch just shits all over the MS3 and MS6 clutch in terms of feel when releasing.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Racer

I have 04 TSX and normal 05 Mazda3 HB. Yes, i spent a lot more time in the shop (under warranty) with the Mazda3 and they gave me a loaner car everytime.

With TSX (Auto) = safe, secure, quiet, peace of mind, relax, luxury.

With Mazda3 (5 speed) = busy, noice, a lot more fun. accelarate, stop and turn better. It is a very very rewarding fun car to drive. I still recommend to everyone with the warning of reliability.

Actually, i am think about trade in my Mazda3 with speed3. Remember to check out this site

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...a9d&board=10.0

i say GO FOR IT.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
cp1
10th Gear

My wife has an automatic mazda 3, from 2004? It's the first model year. She's had no problems except that the oil filter is a cartridge type which makes it a slight pain to have changed.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Thanks... that was a really helpful post. The comments that come from actual (or at one time) owners of Mazdas and Hondas are ones that I put extra "weight" on since they have first-hand experience over time with both vehicles.
So anyways, I traded in my mazda3 for a TSX NAVI about a month ago. Right off the bat I noticed I can't push the TSX nearly as hard as the mazda3 in a corner....but it honestly seems to be mostly because of these shitty OEM Michelins. Despite this, the TSX has excellent feedback and road manners. The tight steering response and tall high-revving gears of the TSX reminds me of my '01 Prelude. A tire upgrade is a must for me, and possibly the a-spec suspension.

So yeah, the mazda3 was raw and fun. But I'm not missing it at all. The luxury and refinement of the TSX added to its excellent road manners make it better than the mazda3. I don't miss my mazda3 at all.