Test drove the Legacy GT yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test drove the Legacy GT yesterday

I didn't post this over in car talk since I'm really relating it to the TSX...

I know others have posted about the LGT before, but I figure I throw in my too

So I passed by the Subaru dealer yesterday, and said, eh why not since I was always interested in checking out this car to see how it compares with the TSX.

In short, I was pretty impressed with the car especially with the driving dynamics. I must admit that I think stock for stock and (important factor) when new, the Subaru is a better performer. Acceleration is no question, and the engine was very smooth with almost no noticeable turbo lag.

I personally think the handling to be superior to the TSX. There was minimal body roll when I tested it on the tight back twisties with a lot of sudden uphills/downhills. The car stayed pretty glued to the ground on turns and especially in those sudden drops. In tight corners I can feel the AWD doing its thing and none of the FWD understeer business. The suspension felt really tight but yet still very comfortable and absorbs bumps very well. Steering was very responsive, the steering wheel was just at the right size and not big like the TSX's, and the brakes felt better than the TSX's (although I remember in tests TSX had a shorter stopping distance).

I was surprised by the quality of the interior and more so with the overall quality of the car (at least when new). Interior was much better than I expected, and everything is intuitive and at reach. It didn't look as luxurious as the TSX, but it's pretty good compared to other $30k cars. The seats were OK with good support but I found it to not have enough bolstering, it was pretty flat. The interior was quiet when driving and pretty well-mannered when at full throttle.

Feature-wise it has most of the features of the 04-05 TSX, with the exception of HID The navigation was defintely much better on the TSX, though... I just think the one on the TSX is by far one of the best (if not the best) out there currently.

The price was pretty expensive I think (~$30k for nav model and -$1800 without), but I think it's a reasonable price for such a car. I found it expensive only because it didn't carry a premium brand tag, and lacks HID. All in all, I think it's a very good car although I question the quality of the car after a few years, but assuming it's as good as when new, I honestly think it's a better buy than the TSX if you don't care about the brand, and a very good all season sports sedan.

Would I buy it? Probably not. I think the main reasons are: exterior-looks good sometimes, but blends in with other cars, and frankly maybe I'm being naive, but I just feel something's wrong when I'm paying $30k for a Subaru. I felt at home when I jumped back into my TSX.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the LGT too but 2 things turn me away. 1, made in USA. 2, the sloppy and lousy manual tranny. BTW, our local newspaper describe the LGT as a perfect car for robbery since it has ultimate preformance to run away from cop and also it is so invisiable that no withness able to tell what car it is. But I still think the JDM LGT looks hot.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I were in the market for a $30K car right now, I would definetly look at the Legacy. It's a Damn nice car for the money.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ianS
I like the LGT too but 2 things turn me away. 1, made in USA. 2, the sloppy and lousy manual tranny. BTW, our local newspaper describe the LGT as a perfect car for robbery since it has ultimate preformance to run away from cop and also it is so invisiable that no withness able to tell what car it is. But I still think the JDM LGT looks hot.
You clearly didn't drive the car with the factory short-throw shifter. Very nice with that option.

On the other hand, the original poster clearly drove the car correctly, as the way to experience minimal turbo lag is to keep the engine over 3000 RPM. Many people report lag with this engine, and a lack of smoothness, but that's because they aren't keeping the revs up. With automatic the engine lacks smoothness from 2k to 3k.

These cars carry rebates, and tend to be discounted pretty heavily. To run a thorough price comparison, go here:

http://www.truedelta.com/models/anym...l=Legacy2006.0
Old 02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Instructor

There's an error in the link that I provided that tags the Legacy as an Acura. Still works otherwise. I started with a link to the TSX page, and neglected to change the brand when I changed the model.

Running the comparison myself, the TSX and LGT are very close at MSRP - rebates. I suspect an LGT without nav can be bought for about $26,000, and maybe even less.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hmm...they must have made some adjustments to the suspension since I drove one back in 2004. I remember taking one and nearly understeering into a curb on a turn that the TSX took with aplomb. Still, I felt that the LGT was just louder than the TSX and the engine sound wasn't nearly as pleasing. Overall, I felt it was a decent car, but not for my money.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good point, I forgot to mention that. I asked the sales person and I think he told me it was made in Ohio, with ~50% parts from the US. That kinda turned me down.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Legacy GT is a really interesting car. I like the speed, my wife doesn't like the fact that it is not as luxurious as a TSX, and that it is really just a Subaru.

It is really fast, Road and Track recently tested 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. That is Mustang GT fast, and faster than a 350Z. You cannot get a navi with the stick (both of which probably inferior to the TSX), so it can be easily purchased for a little over $26k. It is a more mature alternative than a WRX or STI, but it is still not as refined as the Acura.

I would not worry about it being made in the States, Consumer Reports rates Subarus very high in quality. The reason why I considered it so much is the roadtest comaprison between it and the TSX, but also the fact that Acura has me waiting six-months so far for my 6-spd TSX.

The Legacy GT is a sleeper, because you wont get noticed, even though it is handsome, but it is so fast.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supraken
and the brakes felt better than the TSX's (although I remember in tests TSX had a shorter stopping distance).
This statement surprised me. The brakes, for me, were too soft and exihibited fade quickly. I think the TSXs are far superior.

Other than the [insert synonyms for "bad" here] climate control system, the manual transmission is the car's mechanical weak spot. There is simply too much torque... leading to the transmission to be described as a "glass tranny" on several Subaru boards. I understand that even the recent revision isn't as durable as Subaru would have liked...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
Good point, I forgot to mention that. I asked the sales person and I think he told me it was made in Ohio, with ~50% parts from the US. That kinda turned me down.
I think it's made in Indiana.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 PM
STi'd

I'm surprised you think the handling is better than the TSX as I also test drove it and didn't think much of it in the twisties. I also took it up a nice windy road and found much body roll when cornering. Probably the worst thing I noticed were the tires which I broke free with almost no effort at all. I also didn't like the numb feel of the transmission.

Power-wise there is no question it is far superior to the TSX. Turbo spools fast, very minimal lag. If it was priced around the mid-twenties, I'd definitely consider it.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Understeering an LGT into a curb or almost doing it can be totally attributed to the driver...awd is different than rwd and fwd. Next time you get a chance to drive one do it...go to a big parking lot and coax some understeer into the situation and then play around with the throttle you'll see how much different it is.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Understeering an LGT into a curb or almost doing it can be totally attributed to the driver...awd is different than rwd and fwd. Next time you get a chance to drive one do it...go to a big parking lot and coax some understeer into the situation and then play around with the throttle you'll see how much different it is.
Believe me, I have plenty of experience driving all three drivetrains. The problem was that the LGT failed to turn initially and I went into the corner pretty hot, fully expecting the AWD system to handle a great deal of the sorting out. However, because the suspension took longer to set than it does in the TSX, the timing of the whole maneuver was out of whack. Not saying there isn't some driver error in the whole situation, but I feel like the TSX is much quicker to take a set and hold a line through the corner entry than the LGT.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Cruisin'

The LGT's biggest weaknesses are the tries which do not do the car justice in the corners (why the hell they put them on a car with this much power i do not know) and the brakes which could use better pads and some stainless steel breaklines. The suspension is definately softer on the subaru and provides a little more of a smooth ride so this is purely a driver preference issue. If i had the money i would waite a year or two till the hybrid version comes out which is supposed to boost the torque anoter 100fbs+ and illiminate all traces of turbo-lag!!! And give it the gas efficientcy of a civic!. For now though subaru still needs to figure out how to make the batteries and technology cheep enough to be marketable. I am crossing my finger!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Instructor

if your going to spend 30k+ on a LGT, get an STi, for 32k.....like me...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by macaddict315
if only it was that easy in canada.

if a lgt was only $2000 less than a sti, i'd be driving an sti right now...
Old 02-26-2006, 10:01 PM
quietly loud

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
if only it was that easy in canada.

if a lgt was only $2000 less than a sti, i'd be driving an sti right now...

Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Babassboy
For now though subaru still needs to figure out how to make the batteries and technology cheep enough to be marketable. I am crossing my finger!
Fuji Heavy (Subaru's parent) has the batteries and Toyota has the system... it is coming in a couple of years to the market...

"As reported by Nihon Keizai Shimbun, after become a major shareholder in Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) in October, Toyota Motor Corp. (TMC) is going to supply hybrid systems to FHI and help train FHI engineers in hybrid technology. Toyota will deliver core hybrid components, including drive and control systems. They will also consider to integrate Fuji Heavy engineers with its own engineers in hybrid car development."
Old 02-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Drifting

true...

the wrx would also be an option too...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by macaddict315
but the legacy is like a wrx in a good looking package
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Last month I cross-shopped the 06 LGT when looking for a replacement to my 04 TSX AT. Even after driving the LGT, there were too many things missing from it that I had grown accustomed to in my TSX.

Things such as an intuitive dual auto climate control, steering wheel controls, HID, and a factory radio that supports aux input. When comparing the 06 TSX to the 06 LGT, the TSX is far more refined and feature-laden: Dual power seats, memory driver's seat, trip computer, bluetooth, kick-ass NAV is available, built-in XM, 60/40 fold-down seats, better fuel economy.

Just about the only things that make the LGT better than the TSX are the turbocharged engine and AWD.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by XPLORx4
Last month I cross-shopped the 06 LGT when looking for a replacement to my 04 TSX AT. Even after driving the LGT, there were too many things missing from it that I had grown accustomed to in my TSX.

Things such as an intuitive dual auto climate control, steering wheel controls, HID, and a factory radio that supports aux input. When comparing the 06 TSX to the 06 LGT, the TSX is far more refined and feature-laden: Dual power seats, memory driver's seat, trip computer, bluetooth, kick-ass NAV is available, built-in XM, 60/40 fold-down seats, better fuel economy.

Just about the only things that make the LGT better than the TSX are the turbocharged engine and AWD.
Just to pick some nits, the LGT does have dual power (and heated) seats, dual climate control and a trip computer. One feature that it has that the TSX does not is heated wipers - a real plus for winter climates.

I agree with your general response, though... the TSX is a better car to ride in.

The LGT is merely a better car to drive.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:23 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally Posted by kenzo
Just to pick some nits, the LGT does have dual power (and heated) seats, dual climate control and a trip computer.
You're right about the power heated seats and trip computer. I forgot about those.

The dual climate control, though, is nothing like the TSX version. The LGT dual-zone is ALWAYS dual-zone. That is, the passenger side and driver side are ALWAYS separate, whereas the TSX is single-zone until the passenger temp is adjusted separately.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Instructor

LGT and STI are two very different cars. If you care at all about ride quality or noise levels, you won't be happy in an LGT.

While if you're expected an STI-like experience, you won't be happy in the LGT. It's a much softer car.

I personally like the manual in the LGT, but I've only driven it with the factory short-throw shifter option. Subarus I've driven in the past without this option have been much less satisfying.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
6MT or Death

I'd SERIOUSLY consider Subaru if they did a complete exterior&interior redesign. I get upset when I see a reliable car that's fun to drive but looks like utter ass. With a redesign I'd buy one in a second (STI that is), but that's only because I want to like the car not JUST when I'm sitting in it but when I'm walking up to it too.

My TSX makes me smile when I'm inside and out.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
I'd SERIOUSLY consider Subaru if they did a complete exterior&interior redesign. I get upset when I see a reliable car that's fun to drive but looks like utter ass. With a redesign I'd buy one in a second (STI that is), but that's only because I want to like the car not JUST when I'm sitting in it but when I'm walking up to it too.

My TSX makes me smile when I'm inside and out.
true...

the interior is outdated. but, for me, i think it's fine.

the impreza line-up just went through minor changes. i'm assuming you're not too fond of the new front end...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kenzo
I agree with your general response, though... the TSX is a better car to ride in.

The LGT is merely a better car to drive.
That pretty much sums up the difference right there. Which for me makes the LGT more desirable, for others it makes the TSX better.