Test drive experience: not enough power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drive experience: not enough power!

Hi,

I test drove the Acura TSX recently. I was impressed with the interiors and all the luxury features, but the ride was very disappointing. I am interested in the 6sp manual but the dealer doesn't stock sticks and so I had to drive the automatic. My first impression was "not enough low-end torque". I don't know if this was just because I was driving an automatic. But it seems like dealers don't stock stick shifts since they sell very few of those.

I was really hoping that I'd fall in love with the TSX, but the TSX didn't appear to be fun to drive. I drove my girlfriend's Mazda6 (v6) to the dealer and my obvious reaction was to compare the TSX to the Mazda6. It was sad that the manual Mazda6 felt more exciting than the rather sluggish TSX. The Mazda6 is not even a car that I am considering.

A week earlier, I test drove the contender -- Subaru Legacy GT limited manual. With 250hp of power and 250Nm of torque, that car definitely is a thrilling ride. I know that the Acura cannot beat the Legacy GT in terms of performance, but I would have liked the TSX to be at least in the same class. I am ready to sacrifice a few hp for the better interiors and refinement of the Acura.

Anyone driving a 6speed TSX, could you tell me what your experience is like. If you've driven other stick shifts, especially the Mazda6, how'd you compare them?

Later,
Rushi
Old 11-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Drifting

Well, it's a 200 hp 4 banger pulling 3300 lbs of steel.. 0-60 performance shouldn't have surprised you.. TSX's forte is the way it handles, and I'm surprised if you didn't find it "fun" to drive.. Maybe you just drove it back and forth on a long straight boulevard..
Old 11-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Your idea of driving excitement is too focused on moving in a straight line. The TSX is all about being nimble and well-balanced in the corners. The Legacy GT is a quick car, but the interior materials and build quality aren't up to par with Toyota or Honda.

As for the TSX being sluggish, this is solely a perception. It may not be the quickest car in its class, but it definitely falls into the same range as most of the competition.

If you're looking for straight line speed, perhaps the TSX is not the car for you. If you're looking to get a comfortable, decently powered, entry-luxury sedan with excellent handling characteristics, then the TSX is the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

i dont know about you guys but its always fun when i drive my tsx.. even with an auto its still fun.. i think i made a great purchase when i bought this tsx but thats just me.. it was right for my family and right for my pocket.. i love my car no complaints.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=TSX+Legacy+Gt
Old 11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
i dont know about you guys but its always fun when i drive my tsx.. even with an auto its still fun.. i think i made a great purchase when i bought this tsx but thats just me.. it was right for my family and right for my pocket.. i love my car no complaints.

except i hab no family yet..
Old 11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

I'm not looking for straight-line acceleration only. I did test the handling of the two cars around corners. The TSX handles brilliantly, although the Legacy's AWD seemed to provide more traction on slippery surface. I'd like to have some extra torque handy while passing semi's on the highway or changing lanes on smaller roads to move past slower traffic. I could not appreciate this on the TSX.

At least with the automatic TSX, I felt that hitting the gas causes the engine to rev up, but the torque converter doesn't transfer the extra boast to the wheels instantly. I could not appreciate the capability of the engine.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

well, i have a 6MT, and i think it's fun to drive, the mazda 6 and subie gt def have more power in the straight line.

but i didn't buy the car w/ performance intended, i bought it is b/c it's refined and a nice ride and has nice touches - like hid, good stereo.

the tsx is a great value at 25k.

bottom line is that you should get what you feel is the most comfy to drive, the 6MT may be slightly quicker than the AT, but dont expect to blow the doors off every car out there.

and driving 6MT is more fun imo than ANY AT. period.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I think you shouldn't buy a TSX
Old 11-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by rushi
I'm not looking for straight-line acceleration only. I did test the handling of the two cars around corners. The TSX handles brilliantly, although the Legacy's AWD seemed to provide more traction on slippery surface. I'd like to have some extra torque handy while passing semi's on the highway or changing lanes on smaller roads to move past slower traffic. I could not appreciate this on the TSX.

At least with the automatic TSX, I felt that hitting the gas causes the engine to rev up, but the torque converter doesn't transfer the extra boast to the wheels instantly. I could not appreciate the capability of the engine.
Uh...that's why there is the SS. An automatic will always be tuned more towards the comfort and ease of use side of things, but if you use the SS, you get more control over the transmissions behavior.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878

The TSX isn't for everybody.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Drive a 6 speed it's better matched with the TSX engine. The TSX was developed for the european market where most if not all europeans generally prefer manuals to automatics. The auto adds weight and saps horsepower where as the 6sp with it's magnesium case is lighter and short throws is lots of fun to drive to boot !
Old 11-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Below is a link from a LGT forum where owners have posted "Missing features/quirks":

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5078

Most of the features missing on the LGT, the TSX already has.

IMO, TSX>LGT>Mazda6
Cruisin'

I'm not a big fan of SS. It's not as responsive as I would like it to be and I've found the transmission overriding in higher revs or on slowing down. The BMW steptronic is definitely better tuned than the Acura's SS. Of course, I wouldn't buy a car with SS/steptronic/tiptronic transmission. Until I can afford an SMG transmission, I'm okay with shifting gears myself using a stick. Puts me in control and avoids wasting power in the torque converter :-)

I wish I could drive a 6MT TSX so that I could do a fair comparison with the Legacy GT.
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
breaking news! the TSX is not fast!
Old 11-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish I could drive a 6MT TSX so that I could do a fair comparison with the Legacy GT.
The LGT does not have a 6-speed transmission.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:06 PM
ric
Safety Car

This thread, based on the comparison run between four presumably equal cars, beat the comparison issue to death; dig out the original article on the internet and review the thread - it may alter your thinking or confirm your worst fears, but it will provide you with a wealth of additional data. .

If you want straight-line acceleration for flatline driving, the TSX will not do it. If you want a sense of precision handling coupled with a very well-bred suspension supporting a very well-thought out rather minimalist interior, the overall "package" of the TSX will. I spend way too much time in my car, and that process has been shifted from a chore to a pleasure, partially because my coworkers now fight for their time at the wheel................. the driving I do is in dense urban traffic, both city and freeway, so it may be that I no longer lust for pure power and raw acceleration. Howver, at speed, the TSX (even my 5at) has the capacity to dance through traffic at my determination; I have yet to experience a sense of inadequate power on the freeway while trying to pass some trucker bound to live in the middle lane.............

The debate between at and mt rages on this site as well, and if you run a thread search on this site, you can garner an additional chunk of emperical commentary, most of it impassioned, and some of it based on logic. You can draw your own conclusion, but the concensus seems to be that the 5at is a bit less aggressive in handling, though the SS does serve as compensation for some.

The TSX is one of those odd cars where the total is greater than the sum of the parts........... but before you reject the TSX completely, try to get the test drive to cover some twisties................ that's when this little beast comes into its own.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:11 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
although the Legacy's AWD seemed to provide more traction on slippery surface.
thats the purpose of AWD.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Instructor

I wasn't impressed by the test drive either but bought my 6MT anyway for other reasons. I've never been "in love" with the car but it also never fails to impress. Maximum performance requires driving with some finesse. Keep the RPM's below 2500 and you'll enjoy remarkably high mileage for a 200HP car. Keep them above 3500 and the TSX delivers smooth power and deceptively quick acceleration. As far as handling..........
Blowing past old farts on the on-ramp: A+
Weaving in and out of heavy traffic: A+
Yellow light, right/left acceleration through intersection: A+
Christmas time WalMart parking lot demolition derby obstacle course: ? Not attempted.
Hope this helps.
You may also want to see if a friend will take you on a "real" test drive before you make your decision.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The Mazda6 and TSX are very comparible in terms of overall power. But on the low end of the tach the difference in torque is niticable (although not huge).

When I test drove the 5AT TSX I also felt the lack of low end torque was a problem. The 6MT was much better (but its still no rocket). Did you try the SS? It will make a big difference (keep the revs above 3500 and you should be very happy).
Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

i agree with not enough low end torque... but overall package TSX is still tops in this price range...
Old 11-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by domn

The TSX isn't for everybody.

Why do people fail to realize this? If I drove a car and was disappointed, that would be the end of it. If one tries to force one's mind into thinking "well, maybe..." then the lingering doubts are continual.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

go with your gut and get something else. get something that wows you, i know the tsx wowed me when i first sat in it. maybe you need an evo or an sti, those will push you into the seat.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
I test drove the Acura TSX recently. I was impressed with the interiors and all the luxury features, but the ride was very disappointing. I am interested in the 6sp manual but the dealer doesn't stock sticks and so I had to drive the automatic. My first impression was "not enough low-end torque".
Did you try pushing that triangular button on the dash between the middle air vents? It engages the "performance" mode, you should then get the full torque.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Special-K

Wait..why are you comparing Auto's to Manuals?? Of course if you drive a manual car it will feel alil peppier than an auto...go drive a 6speed TSX and then compare...because i've been in all 3 cars (TSX auto and Manual which i own and a Mazda6 manual) and my Manual TSX felt faster...i raced my friend in his Mazda6 and beat him, not by much but i got him..but the TSX is just a better car overall and it looks 10times better than a GT and Mazda6! And make sure the traction control isn't on!! make sure when your in the car this symbol is displayed..."look at the top left side of my post to see it"
Old 11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
if you smoke a bunch of crack and drive a TSX it feels wicked fast.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

I'd really like to compare the LGT with the TSX 6MT. Unfortunately, the dealers don't have stick shifts. I'd probably have to look for TSX owners who are willing to let me drive. Anyone from south-east Michigan?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by jiggaman
if you smoke a bunch of crack and drive a TSX it feels wicked fast.
But if you are completely blasted drunk, the TSX feels slow...that's why there's the urge to go 120 mph in the rain.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd really like to compare the LGT with the TSX 6MT. Unfortunately, the dealers don't have stick shifts. I'd probably have to look for TSX owners who are willing to let me drive. Anyone from south-east Michigan?
I don't know if you come to Chicago area much...maybe call around one of the many Chicagoland Acura dealerships and schedule a test drive?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:33 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look at the power difference between the LGT and TSX, it should already tell you. TSX has better features for the price. you give up some performance...the TSX is not exactly a snail either.

find another car with all the TSX's current features and more power for a lower price, then that's the car you should get
Old 11-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Take a G35 6MT for a spin and the Legacy will be a let down ( you could probably get an 04 G35 for the price of a Legacy GT). Regardless of what you get there's always some other "better" car out there for you. You have to draw the line at what is enough for you.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Instructor

just installed the ingalls camber kit on the car and re-adjust the whole car's alignment with hunter's digital alignment system. My friend and I were amazed with how much thoughs were put into this car's multi link suspension. It is just a work of art! Straight line acceleration is not where the TSX is at. and you "must'" try the 6mt on the TSX. Please dont write off the TSX because the AT you drove!