take off front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate the front plate...subsequently, it is required in illinois...oh well, take my chances...i'd hope that law enforcement has more important things to do than cite me for that. there are plenty of occasions that i see them overlook other crime (read: not requiring a fixit ticket)
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
no0bIe

No front plate here in Las Vegas, NV and I love it!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been pulled over X2 without a front plate. neither cop said a thing about not having it. BTW, it really helps to have your hospital badges hanging in view.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM
06 CGP

i know it texas its required but since i live in houston and about half the new cars here are sold without front plate holders, the audi's,bmw,benz, and a few other cars, i told the dealer dont even bother installing the bracket to hold mine, so far no probs.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by driver centric
Did you just pay the ticket outright or go to court? I've only had my TSX since April and decided to try to run front plate-less for the first time. Just my luck, a state trooper pulled me over last month and gave me a ticket for not having the plate on. I'm thinking I'll put it on, take a picture of it, go to court and show the judge and he'll drop it. Then it'll come right back off. Unless multiple no front tag tickets turns into some kind of misdemeanor....
This was when I was living in VA last year. My rule is that if I did something wrong to earn the ticket, I just pay it. Considering that it's only $40 over 3 years, I can afford it.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Cruisin'

i got pulled over for no front plates in houston, the cop was kool though he said just put it back on and take pictures of it and show it to the judge when u appear for court and she will dismiss the ticket
Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Professional SLACKER

Originally Posted by Howard911s
if you are in CA, they can give u a ticket even if your car is parked and unattended without front plate~

Really..... damn.. gotta stay away from Arcadia.... if you see my car park around there please be nice to me...
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Instructor

If you don't have front plates in a state that needs front plates, where can the meter maid ticket you? only in streets? or even like the costco parking lot or right outside your house/dorm?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it looks a lot cleaner without out. Especially if you have a front lip kit.

Mine is on though. I just don't want to give a cop a reason to be able to pull me over and harass me. They try to crack down on people with modded cars in my area and look for any reason to pull them. Once you get pulled they start looking at the car more closely and nit picking at the mods. Although it's tempting to take off, mine is still on. Plus, I don't wanna get pulled over one day when I'm ridin' dirty.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh well it's

I've had mine off since I purchased the car in 04, still have not been harrased about it *knocks on wood* I'm in SoCal San Diego
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I got mines removed since Oct 2004 and I haven't got a ticket here in the Bay Area. I did get a fix it ticket when I was visiting Santa Monica in 2004 parked but that was with my Milano Red 2000 Accord coupe.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I took mine off. Looks much better I agree. If they pull me over ill get a fix it ticket, which is not even a moving violation. (Big deal)
Old 09-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Instructor

$125 fine in White Plains, NY.....I learned my lesson
Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Instructor

I just got pulled over yesterday afternoon on my way home from work in Irvine by the CHP for not having my front plate on, and for my tinting on the front windows. Like the CHP have nothing better to be doing.

I hate the laws in CA. Who needs a plate on the front of your car anyway. It looks so dumb. And as for the tinting, its stupid living in such a warm sunny state that they don't allow tinting to protect your eyes and the interior of the car.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Cruisin'

Illinois requires it

Is the front registration plate required on vehicles registered in Illinois?
Yes, the front registration plate is required on vehicles registered in Illinois. Both registration plates are required to be attached on vehicles registered in Illinois.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
NBP6MTTSX

TX requires the front license plate but I took it off 2 weeks after I got my TSX and I was pulled over once on my way to Dallas. He let me go with a warning. In Beaumont where I live though, I see atleast 25 to 30 cars everyday without the front plates and almost every Merc in town doesn't have front plates. So, I decided to drive mine without the front plate and it totally looks much better without the front plate.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by pizzaman555
Here in NJ I havent ran a plate since day 1 it looks so much nicer with it off.
no tickets in NJ for no front plate? We'll be converting to NJ Tags soon (from PA) and PA doesn't require one, but we left the holder on cause the dumba$$ service guys screwed it into the bumper so there is a screw hole in it.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

bringing this thread back...

if i put my license plate on my dashboard, will police pull me over?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Pro

I had a front plate on when I bought the car but I took it off last weekend. Here are before and after pics.
Before:
[IMG][/IMG]
After:
[IMG][/IMG]
I like it a lot better without the front plate.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
They Taser you in Texas for that!

Do that in Houston and you'll end up tasered and in jail!

Texans lineman Weary Tasered, arrested after traffic stop
Nov. 14, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans offensive lineman Fred Weary was shot with a Taser before being arrested Tuesday after a traffic stop.

Weary was pulled over at 1 p.m. about 6 miles from Reliant Stadium and transported to jail. Houston Police officer Gabriel Ortiz said he "possibly faces charges of resisting arrest."

The 29-year-old was being held at Houston's Central Jail on Tuesday evening, but had not yet been charged with a crime and no bond had been set, a jail official said. The jail official did not know whether Weary had an attorney.

Weary pushed an officer away and was shot with a Taser after he stepped toward officers when they ordered him to put his hands on the vehicle, police said.

"We're aware of the situation regarding Fred Weary," said Tony Wyllie, Texans' vice president of communications. "At this time, we're gathering all the information and getting all the facts."

Wyllie said the Texans were informed of the arrest by an anonymous tip and that their director of security and other team officials were working to find out what happened.

According to the police report, the incident began when officers noticed a Chevy Impala SS driving in an area near Reliant Stadium where police are on alert due to criminal activity. They noticed the driver "looking very suspicious" as he looked back and forth at the police several times. Weary was pulled over after police followed the car and noticed that it did not have a front license plate.

When officers asked for Weary's license he angrily asked why he had been pulled over, police said. Police said they asked him for his license three times before he produced it, during which time he became increasingly agitated. Weary was asked to step out of the vehicle when he began to reach for something.

After exiting the car he continued to be verbally combative toward the two officers and refused their commands, police said.

It was then that he pushed the officer away and was shot with a Taser after stepping toward the officers. He was arrested without further incident after he was shot with the Taser.

Weary has appeared in eight games and started five this season. Coach Gary Kubiak credited him with a key block on a fourth-and-inches play that sealed Houston's 13-10 victory over the Jaguars on Sunday.

The 6-foot-4, 308-pound right guard has spent his entire five-year career with the Texans after they drafted him in the third round in 2002. He has played in 44 games.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Race Director

Yeah here in NC we dont need them at all but I took my front plate off the car because it came from a state where it needed it and now I have nice to ugly holes I hate them ALOT. I wish there was some way to fix it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Yeah here in NC we dont need them at all but I took my front plate off the car because it came from a state where it needed it and now I have nice to ugly holes I hate them ALOT. I wish there was some way to fix it.
What year is your TSX. The front plate on my 06 was put on with three screws under the front bumper. I had a front plate on my 04 but never noticed how it was attached.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Do that in Houston and you'll end up tasered and in jail!

Texans lineman Weary Tasered, arrested after traffic stop
Nov. 14, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans offensive lineman Fred Weary was shot with a Taser before being arrested Tuesday after a traffic stop.

Weary was pulled over at 1 p.m. about 6 miles from Reliant Stadium and transported to jail. Houston Police officer Gabriel Ortiz said he "possibly faces charges of resisting arrest."

The 29-year-old was being held at Houston's Central Jail on Tuesday evening, but had not yet been charged with a crime and no bond had been set, a jail official said. The jail official did not know whether Weary had an attorney.

Weary pushed an officer away and was shot with a Taser after he stepped toward officers when they ordered him to put his hands on the vehicle, police said.

"We're aware of the situation regarding Fred Weary," said Tony Wyllie, Texans' vice president of communications. "At this time, we're gathering all the information and getting all the facts."

Wyllie said the Texans were informed of the arrest by an anonymous tip and that their director of security and other team officials were working to find out what happened.

According to the police report, the incident began when officers noticed a Chevy Impala SS driving in an area near Reliant Stadium where police are on alert due to criminal activity. They noticed the driver "looking very suspicious" as he looked back and forth at the police several times. Weary was pulled over after police followed the car and noticed that it did not have a front license plate.

When officers asked for Weary's license he angrily asked why he had been pulled over, police said. Police said they asked him for his license three times before he produced it, during which time he became increasingly agitated. Weary was asked to step out of the vehicle when he began to reach for something.

After exiting the car he continued to be verbally combative toward the two officers and refused their commands, police said.

It was then that he pushed the officer away and was shot with a Taser after stepping toward the officers. He was arrested without further incident after he was shot with the Taser.

Weary has appeared in eight games and started five this season. Coach Gary Kubiak credited him with a key block on a fourth-and-inches play that sealed Houston's 13-10 victory over the Jaguars on Sunday.

The 6-foot-4, 308-pound right guard has spent his entire five-year career with the Texans after they drafted him in the third round in 2002. He has played in 44 games.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
or maybe cause he resisted arrest instead..
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by cbxqt
$10 fix-it ticket in so-cal...
You have it lucky its a 55 dollar ticket here...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Pro

new york plates are required to have front and back =|
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Chaplain on call

TSX looks better without front plate.:agree

Not required in Oklahoma, thank goodness.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in cali, 10$ fix it. Or sometimes they dont make it a fix it and its 100 bux
Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Nissin Ramen

No need front license plate here either in Alberta, Canada...

but you probably don't want to live here...too many crazy people who loves to park their rusty truck beside ya... *DING*
Old 11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJSGTI
What year is your TSX. The front plate on my 06 was put on with three screws under the front bumper. I had a front plate on my 04 but never noticed how it was attached.
Actually its a TL its a 2000 it should say that in my signature im not sure why its not working. The thing that bothers me is it had two that screwed in under the bumper then two on the bumper.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Instructor

In Florida...not needed...
Just for decoration (i.e. College or favorate team or somethin)

I keep mine off...
Back liscense plate on the other hand...
With a white TL-S and 30 minutes outside of Miami...I definately am hoping for the White Miami Heat Liscense Plate (All White with a lil heat logo)
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by CurryFishBall
No need front license plate here either in Alberta, Canada...

but you probably don't want to live here...too many crazy people who loves to park their rusty truck beside ya... *DING*
LOL. Thank god I only drive rentals when I'm out in Calgary!!!

Front plates are not required in Quebec either! Cars look much better without them!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ck123
bringing this thread back...

if i put my license plate on my dashboard, will police pull me over?
It's funny how this thread was brought back with this question, and none of the threads following it answered the question

In the old days, people would put it on the dashboard to try and avoid tickets. However, people still get ticketed. According to the letter of the law, the front plate must be mounted at the front of the bumper, at a certain height, yadda yadda yadda. So putting it on the dashboard would just make it more noticeable that the plate isn't mounted, and it could turn into flying debris in an accident. So basically, yes...it's possible to get pulled over

You should just decide whether you want to keep the plate where it is, relocate it, or take it off. Taking it off carries some risks and consequences...so is it worth it?

Personally I might get away with it due to my police license plate frame...although the parking maids won't care about it. I don't want to bother with having to fix it later. But I did relocate the front plate because I didn't like reading all the threads where the plate holder rubs against the front bumper.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Nissin Ramen

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
LOL. Thank god I only drive rentals when I'm out in Calgary!!!

Front plates are not required in Quebec either! Cars look much better without them!
Yah...stupid dinks everywhere..
Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by sonnyg80
or maybe cause he resisted arrest instead..
Slippery slope... first you're skating the law by taking your plate off... then you're resisting arrest! What's next? Drug dealing, contract killer!!! Just say !