Subaru WRX vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"from a random green light," I think the WRX is more powerfull. If i'm not mistaken, I think the turbo kicks in around 3K RPM or so, which is much lower than what we have to rev ours up to in other to get any serious performance out of the car. I love my car but the one thing I hate, like most other TSX owners, is the bottom end performace.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Racer

performance wise the wrx is way better
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I drive an 02 wrx, its fun, but I couldn't bare with my friend's interior for a long ass drive. Theres nothing in it haha, and all the wrxs have the same layout almost. The cars power is great, awd is fun. I would love to have it as a weekend car, but not everyday.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04acptizzy
"from a random green light," I think the WRX is more powerfull. If i'm not mistaken, I think the turbo kicks in around 3K RPM

Yup, it kicks in around 3k. When you launch close to there, it's pretty fun. (haven't quite managed to launch on turbo yet...) It's best when you've got it around 5k, sounds great and just flies! It just gets a little rediculous when you're sitting at a light (and driving like a "normal" person, I don't drive hard unless it's a controlled area like autocross) and the high school punks are next to you reving the engines in their Cavaliers..... That's one of the big downsides to the WRX actually :P (well, that and the profiling from the cops because of the hood scoop). Hence why I needed a bit more inconspicuous of a car that's still fun

Regarding the interior, we actually waited for the '05 WRX because of the introduction of real cupholders, not those weird things that popped out from over the radio controls.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the STI and to truly tell you, let's not talk about speed, lets talk about the sheer joy of driving, cuz STI is similar to WRX in that category.

If you want fun in anytime any weather any where of the day, I'd pick the WRX anyday.
But for comfort, some might consider a TSX.

A TSX is more of a daily driver for those people who aren't looking for real crazy fun in driving and doesn't wanna spend their food money in putting in gas for their car.

The WRX would definitely rip the TSX though. Much lighter also equipped with AWD.

For me, I'd pick the WRX over a TSX anyday.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
CL9 ABP

Yea but watch when you get towards starting a family you probably choose a car like the tsx than the wrx.

Alot of guys here in queens are switching over to family cars, they can't keep the noise level and the fun factor for us younger people dies away as we get older.

Wrx is a fun car i driven it a few times now, so its a thrill or a rush, but practicality tsx wins that.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM
where is my garage?!

lol @ the thought of putting a baby seat in the back of a STI.

that's probably what stopped me from even considering a car like that. family.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

As many have already said you cannot compare the two. Without a doubt the WRX (STI or no STI) will smoke the TSX. Sitting in the two is very different. Really cheap and dry interior in the WRX. Rolling over a 1mm crack with the WRX feels like your climbing a boulder with the car. Outside very appealing but rough drive if your a everyday driver. #1 car in body jerking!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
B A N N E D

BTW the wrx is nice, handles well, and has MORE than enough power... but I just feel like its #1 Tiny on the inside and #2 any bonehead with $26000 can read the HP/tourque rating and go buy one.

The refinment on the TSX is really only appreciated by a few who care about an all around great performing car. Don't get me wrong, the wrx is a great all around handling car and obviously power is there. I just feel like most people who buy WRX's just want something they can say is fast off the line. People who dont REALLY know that much about cars but want to look like it. The kind of people who intentionally stare you down at red lights hoping you'd get mad and gun it on green just so they can feel like a bad ass... these are the same idiots who bought camaros and firebirds back in the 90's. lots of power but no real style or performance outside of the engine block.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 PM
B A N N E D

BTW the lancer is in my opinion a HUGE piece of shit. lets throw a tiny engine in a car... turbo the shit out of it and then line it in cheap plastic and sell it for $30,000.

gay
Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Racer

What about their transmissions?

I know a Legacy owner who calls their manual transmission "agricultural". Is the shifter and clutch similarly less refined in the WRX?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Instructor

I find the clutch fine in the WRX, but then I've been randomly driving sticks for some time (my cars have always been autos, but I've driven other people's). First time I took it out during the test drive I had no problems at all. I don't know, maybe I just know how to drive a manual better than most. Sure, it's no Honda clutch, but really, what is??

It's a little easier driving the WRX over the base Impreza (RS) as you're already hitting 2nd gear by the time you're out of the driveway in the RS. Got to drive our friend's STi before he traded it in-- that shifted even better. Didn't get a chance to take a manual TSX out as I knew I wanted our 2nd car to be an auto for several reasons and I didn't want to like it too much. I'm guessing it's as good or better than the various Civic clutches.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 AM
6th Gear

Funny I saw this thread. I currently am a WRX owner. I've had my car for 2 years and I love it... MOST of the time.

There aren't too many cars out there as fun to drive as a WRX. When you can roll the windows down, roll through the gears on a back road and hug the road nice and tight.

BUT

I get to do that maybe 10% of my driving experiance. Then there is the 40% of normal commute which isn't bad, but when you can't enjoy the speed and agility... its just a low end sedan.

Then you get to the 50% of the time you are in traffic or on city roads. If you haven't done it before, driving a WRX in stop and start traffic from 5-20 MPH is HELL OF EARTH. The tranny is stiff, the clutch is weak, and its almost TOO much power to drive that slow. I might as well be riding a rodeo bull I buck so much.

That is why I'm trying to get myself into a TSX. I just have to try and forget about that original 10% and get into a more reasonable car.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM
CL9 ABP

^^ agree, in buffalo traffic is alot less than here in nyc and LIE. So my friend's wrx is fun to drive, learning on his car was a bitch because I couldnt keep underspeed limit when i was learning, don't get me wrong after he took me for a spin i was so sad the tsx couldn't have that much speed.

Oh wells i still laugh at him when he gets stuck in canada's traffic and starts cursing alot.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

My cousin has 2 WRXs, and we switched cars from time to time... in terms of the clutch, I actually felt the engagement point was better placed than in my TSX. It's the actual gear shifter that I think Hondas/Acuras win hands down against all of the cars I've ever driven.

I love the tossability of the Subie, and having the power run through all 4 wheels is mighty fun on those spirited runs. I'm in agreement w/ kaaks post though... it's a little "high strung" during normal daily commutes.