Stupid pot hole ruined my tire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Angry Stupid pot hole ruined my tire!!!

I went over a pot hole recently and didn't think anything of it... then I noticed that there was a bulge in the front right tire. Since my car was in for regular service at the dealership anyway, I asked them to take a look at that bulge. They told me that it was irreparable damage from the pot hole, before I even told them that I went over one! Since it could not be fixed, I had to have it replaced - the same Michelin tire cost me $210 (tire + labor) plus tax!!! :'(

Anyway, I read somewhere that this particular Michelin tire is expensive and easily damaged. Is it true? What other all season performance tires have you guys had good experience with please?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Don't ever buy a tire from the dealer. They will rip you off like nothing else.

You're better off going to a store like America's Tire Co. or Discount Tire Co. They offer a warranty that if your tire fails prematurely for any reason (that includes your own stupidity) and they can't fix it, they'll give you a new tire for free. All you pay for is to renew the warranty (which was like $20/tire) and the disposal fee of the damaged tire (~$5). Plus, you'll pay less for the tire initially so you save a lot of money.

I had two different ocassions where a front tire on my Integra developed a bulge in the sidewall (Kuhmo Ecsta 712s after contact with a particularly nasty pothole) and I had purchased the warranty. Needless to say, I'm glad I did. Plus, I got a few more worn tires replaced for $25 apiece.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Master in Science

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly! I got two new tires for free because of said warranty for my family's 4Runner. Store said they had too much wear for the time that passed... I said, " sounds good!"
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Wait a minute, I thought our Michelins come with warranty, as well as the spare Dunlop. I got warranty paper too. Does it cover for damage like this?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Advanced

I haven't done much research on tires but my friend was showing me a chart where the Michelins that come on TSX ranked at the bottom for both wet and dry traction and were one of the most expensive too.
I'll have to look more into this but I'm quite sure I'll buy a different brand when the time comes for replacement.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The 2004+ acuras do not come with a road hazard warranty on the tires. I found that out one week after I took delivery.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Dan, you are right... these tires were not covered by their warranty!!! Yikes!

Sixspeed, that's what I am thinking - when it's time to replace my tires, I will go with a different brand. I wonder what people have used successfully so far? I remember reading something about some Continental tires here before? Anyone?

CGTSX, HP and slo - I am definitely going to buy them from another place next time! I didn't have time to shop around this time, plus it's only one tire, so I just told them to replace it.... when it's time to get all 4 tires replaced, I will definitely not go back to the dealership! Thanks.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Instructor

Those Michelin Pilot tires or Michelins in general are pretty expensive even from the Tire Rack they're asking $176.
per tire. Once you factor in shipping and mounting and balancing, you're not going to be too far away from the the $210 that you paid.....so don't feel too bad, dealers gouge you but you weren't gouged that bad. Thats merely the cost of driving a higher end/luxury car.
Any low profile tire is going to giveyou better handling but due to the low profile or height of the tire it has less sidewall to cushion upon impacts.
Our roads generally suck, and are a bit too much for our European like tires...the europeans don't have that problem.
I've concluded that thats why so many Americans drive trucks.
The bigger tires make them somewhat impervious to potholes.
The tire warranty included with your cars paperwork as with all Warranties are for Manufacturing defects...not driver mishaps or accidents. That's what insurance is for.

I mean really, if you sold someone your car in perfect condition and 1 week later they bring it back wanting their money back because they wrecked it ...would you ?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ostrich
I went over a pot hole recently and didn't think anything of it... then I noticed that there was a bulge in the front right tire. Since my car was in for regular service at the dealership anyway, I asked them to take a look at that bulge. They told me that it was irreparable damage from the pot hole, before I even told them that I went over one! Since it could not be fixed, I had to have it replaced - the same Michelin tire cost me $210 (tire + labor) plus tax!!! :'(

Anyway, I read somewhere that this particular Michelin tire is expensive and easily damaged. Is it true? What other all season performance tires have you guys had good experience with please?

First of all, I have exactly the same tire on my stock Mazda6 which was totaled last year and I have exactly the same problem. They are NOT covered under warranty for sure.

2nd, yes, it is that expensive to replace it. ($330 cdn in Canada)

3rd, you might want to consider buying all 4 tires at $300 usd with cheaper but similiar performance tires. You spend $100~200 more, but u have 3 extra tires to resale I guess.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:06 AM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your dealer may be able to provide road hazard coverage, even after your purchase. You might be able to prove your car is ok and then buy the additional protection. I purchased a protection plan when I bought the car that covers the tires AND wheels from any kind of damage for the term of the car's warranty (4yr/50K). Any damaged tires or bent rims from pot holes are covered. It cost around $350 and I figured one pothole could easily do this much damage (blown tire and bent rim). I live in the Boston area and potholes are common. So far I haven't needed the coverage but I still have over 3 years and 38K miles to go. Just a thought...........
Old 06-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by toddstuh
Our roads generally suck, and are a bit too much for our European like tires...the europeans don't have that problem.
Have you driven in Europe much? Might be true on the highways of Western Europe, but the local roads and rest in general are worse than the US.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Instructor

....try the Boston roads...and you'll buy a Truck !

I purchased that tire/wheel protection package as well...living in the Boston area our roads here are the worst !

Yes, I've driven in Western Europe, primarily southern Germany, Stuttgart - Munich and their roads are like heaven compared to ours. Ask anyone whos from Boston ! What is really hilarious is in Germany they'll have a huge orange sign for a bump and you hit it and say ....That's not a bump...that's normal back home in the States !

Biker, I see you're in Switzerland. I've been to Geneva,Zurich,Basel, Lucerne,Lausanne, Wangs am Pizol near Sargans, close to the Austrian border. I also go to Konstance on occasion for it's not too far from Stuttgart where I go on business. Beautiful country !
Old 06-04-2004, 03:30 PM