Still Using "The Club" ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still Using "The Club" ???

Is the steer wheel lock - "the Club" still useful or a thing of the past with TSX anti-theft features ?
Anyone still using it on his TSX ???

Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO I dont think it will be useful at all in a car like the TSX, since anyone who is ready to get by the immobilizer and alarm will have little trouble dealing with the club.

On a lower end car I think the club is useful and can act as a deterent to the casual car thief.

But peice of mind is worth something too .. so if you are thinking about it it might be a good idea for you.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Max
Racer

I had it on my Corolla (no anti-theft system) but not on the Camry or the TSX - both have good anti-theft systems and the TSX also has LoJack. The Club is actually really easy to break off, I can get the tool that does it for about $20.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:19 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
or I have seen them just cut through the steering wheel instead of trying to cut through the club....but they are all deterents...if a theif wants you car, he will get it...imo.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by fdl
IMO I dont think it will be useful at all in a car like the TSX, since anyone who is ready to get by the immobilizer and alarm will have little trouble dealing with the club.

On a lower end car I think the club is useful and can act as a deterent to the casual car thief.

But peice of mind is worth something too .. so if you are thinking about it it might be a good idea for you.
i just use it as a visual deterrent and a peace of mind...not like it'll really do anything
Old 07-12-2004, 01:27 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no i don't use the club on the tsx anymore
Old 07-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dabuda2004
i just use it as a visual deterrent and a peace of mind...not like it'll really do anything
True.. Any self-respecting car thief shouldn't have any problem with clubs.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:25 PM
such a dirty birdy

True, the club won't stop the thief who really wants your particular car, but it will make yours a less appealing target for random theft than the clubless cars parked next to yours. If you're in a high-crime area, I suppose there's some value in that.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dabuda2004
Ditto. I don't expect it to stop a thief who wants my TSX, maybe not even slow one down much. But, if my TSX is parked next to another car without a club then the opportunistic thief may bypass mine and go after the other.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
Ditto. I don't expect it to stop a theif who wants my TSX, maybe not eve slow one down much. But, if my TSX is parked next to another car without a club then the opportunistic theif may bypass mine and go after the other.
Only if its another TSX parked beside you. If its an 86 corrola then your still getting *&%$'ed.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I use one as a visual deterrant. I always believe that if the thieves want your car, they'll get your car. I use one so it makes my car a little harder to steal.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Only if its another TSX parked beside you. If its an 86 corrola then your still getting *&%$'ed.
True enough. I try to park next to nice cars.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlukja
True enough. I try to park next to nice cars.
But then you risk dents & dings.....
Old 07-12-2004, 03:50 PM
ric
Safety Car

I found that the club was useful (maybe) only to the point of encouraging someone to take someone else's car parked on the block, and I have had one on the wheel but never locked. However the club did not deter someone stealing a Merc Sable and a Toyota Camry from our little urban block (Both of which are at the top of the theft list in Philly), but my new/nearly new company cars have never been touched - not theft or vandalism. If they want it badly enough, they will get it. Best deterrent is a nosy neighbor who can't sleep. The Merc was never recovered, probably in a chopshop in 40 minutes, the Toyota was used for a getaway car, then a joyride, then a site for a fire. Ultimately reclaimed, repaired and driven for another 50,000 miles. In Philly, at least, chopshop fodder consists of older cars no longer supported by the manufacturer much with parts, but still with enough on the streets to provide an active pieces market - so the 4-7 year old cars, middle/upper end are targets. And, of course, airbag thiefs, but those folks just usually do a smash/grab deal. They don't seem to steal sound systems much on our block, preferring to break into homes and steal the sound rack. (for that, we have Brink's)

In public, I try to park next to more expensive cars..........
Old 07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Drifting

The best usage of club i've witnessed in my life:

A guy gets beat the crap out of by a couple of dudes at a shopping plaza in Philly (Cottman & Bustleton) at night. He escapes to his car all bloodied and comes back swingin' his club. Those dudes ran away and the guy goes back to his car and drives away...
Old 07-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Max
Racer

Originally Posted by sipark
The best usage of club i've witnessed in my life:

A guy gets beat the crap out of by a couple of dudes at a shopping plaza in Philly (Cottman & Bustleton) at night. He escapes to his car all bloodied and comes back swingin' his club. Those dudes ran away and the guy goes back to his car and drives away...
The club is indeed a formidable weapon - and you can fling out the locking part at people - motherfucker goes real fast.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Quattro in.....

I used the club on my old car for 13 years and started to notice wear on the steering wheel (leather). I can't remember how many years before I noticed the wear .

I think its a good visual deterent but I don't use it on the TSX b/c of the wear I noticed on my old car.