Stick or Auto? Which do you have and.............

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:16 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Stick or Auto? Which do you have and.............

do u think about having the other?

I have a stick and I love driving stick, but sometimes I think "what would it be like it I got an auto?"

-It'll complete the whole "luxury" thing because most luxury cars are auto.
-Auto is easier in traffic, which I am in a lot (Bay Area)

Thats about it huh, what other advantages are there w/ an Auto?

I dont know, just some random thoughts. What do u guys think?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Take it from me, be glad and happy and stop starting threads wondering about getting an Auto

MT is definently the way to go, especially with the TSX.

Having said that, I really like my Auto but still crave a 6 Speed everyday.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by domn
Take it from me, be glad and happy and stop starting threads wondering about getting an Auto
Old 10-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the same boat as domn. The TSX is my first auto. I won't say I regret it because the traffic here really sucks and I don't take that well, but I am still going through withdrawel. Everytime I hear some car mag talk about the 'sweet shifting 6-speed' it gets worse.

On the other hand, the auto is really smooth. The sport-shift function is nice, but not quite enough to placate me.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stick or Auto? Which do you have and.............

Originally posted by STC

Fuel economy is another advantage of the auto. Although I will debate that in city driving you could get better in the MT if you really wanted to. On the highway the MT wont stand a chance though with its shorted 6th gear.

I test drove both the AT and MT. The AT kind of underwhelmed with with its power and I wanted to make the car as fun and rewarding to drive as I could so I got the MT.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Instructor

I have 5AT right now and 6MT is definitly more fun to drive...

sportshift can give me a feel of what MT is like but if i am in traffic with the MT, i think i will go crazy
@_@;;;
Old 10-07-2003, 03:23 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by STC

I don't think an Acura TSX is a "luxury" car.

True, traffic is awful with a manual tranny.

But the same traffic is just as awful with an automatic.

Main advantage of an automatic is that it allows one to concentrate on things other than driving while one is driving: hand-held cell phones, eating, drinking, makeup (woman), shaving (man), screaming at the little ones, laptop computer, reading newspaper.....
Old 10-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and yes, traffic can be a real dawg. I've only bought MT cars all my life. I bought 6MT and don't regret it. The 6MT took a little bit of acclimation at first, but now I do it pretty much without thinking, so stop and go traffic isn't really an issue. The clutch is very obliging--it not at all a tough, rough, heavy, clunk and chunk setup that some cars and tractors have.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Drifting

It wasn't even a question for me--I wanted 6 MT, and 6 MT only . I first learned to drive stick when I was 21, and I "broke in" my transmission skills on an Integra GS-R. The TSX was my reward for working so hard the past couple of years, and it "had" to be a machine that I could really "drive," I guess.

Traffic can be a real pisser, but I consider driving to be the only real time that I have to myself, so I try my best just to concentrate on engaging the clutch, shifting gears, etc.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ricecake
It wasn't even a question for me--I wanted 6 MT, and 6 MT only . I first learned to drive stick when I was 21, and I "broke in" my transmission skills on an Integra GS-R. The TSX was my reward for working so hard the past couple of years, and it "had" to be a machine that I could really "drive," I guess.

Traffic can be a real pisser, but I consider driving to be the only real time that I have to myself, so I try my best just to concentrate on engaging the clutch, shifting gears, etc.
Will you marry me?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:04 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by Brad
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and yes, traffic can be a real dawg. I've only bought MT cars all my life. I bought 6MT and don't regret it.
Around San Francisco, it's not the traffic that would worry me, but the hills.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Racer

Well, got AT for one reason. Other family member might need to drive my car (my wife). Also, when u have a 2-year-old in the back seat, u will want to have 4th hand just for him sometimes.

But if I am still single and under 25, I would go for 6 MT for sure. After all, I have 13 years experience with MT and MT in tracffic or on hills is never a problem for me.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Thats how my fiance is. All she wants is manual. Plus she loves driving fast. Thats why she got the Evo.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Racer

Auto. I'm lazy and they're easier to sell later.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:19 PM
Registered AssHat

Manual. Just because it's sweet. I'm also an engineer by trade and am really picky (read: anal) about efficiency and proper use of tools for the job.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by STC

I have a stick and I love driving stick, but sometimes I think "what would it be like it I got an auto?"

I dont know, just some random thoughts. What do u guys think?
Here is my 2 cents:
I bought a 6MT TSX. This is/was my first stick-shift car. I took 2 hours of driving lessons with a friend of mine prior to purchase. I then practiced for about 3 hours by myself at the local school parking lot. I now drive it to work everyday, thats 26 miles each way. I drive on the Garden State Parkway in NJ. It is actually more like the Garden State Parking Lot, you could walk faster than the speed at which cars move on this road.
Anyway, I have had the car for about a month and now I drive the car like I have been driving a stick for ever!
As I stated I sit in a LOT of traffic each and everyday and I would not trade my 6MT TSX for an Automatic. I absolutely love driving a stick-shift car. I will never buy another automatic as long as I live!
I think many people have said this before, but when you drive a stick you feel like you are actually "driving" the car as opposed to just "riding" in an automatic.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Re: Stick or Auto? Which do you have and.............

Originally posted by gmen
Here is my 2 cents:
I bought a 6MT TSX. This is/was my first stick-shift car. I took 2 hours of driving lessons with a friend of mine prior to purchase. I then practiced for about 3 hours by myself at the local school parking lot. I now drive it to work everyday, thats 26 miles each way. I drive on the Garden State Parkway in NJ. It is actually more like the Garden State Parking Lot, you could walk faster than the speed at which cars move on this road.
Anyway, I have had the car for about a month and now I drive the car like I have been driving a stick for ever!
As I stated I sit in a LOT of traffic each and everyday and I would not trade my 6MT TSX for an Automatic. I absolutely love driving a stick-shift car. I will never buy another automatic as long as I live!
I think many people have said this before, but when you drive a stick you feel like you are actually "driving" the car as opposed to just "riding" in an automatic.
Sounds like you're in your MT 'honeymoon' phase - thrilled about the car, happy to drive stick. Let us know if you feel the same about 2 years of the garden state parking lot at rush hour. If you still prefer MT, you've passed the test. I think each of us who's gone MT->AT realizes that its much more fun to drive MT, it's just a test of patience about whether one can put up with having to use the clutch in goddawful traffic on Rt 18/GSP/Schukyll Expwy/NYC Tunnels/Ben Franklin Bridge/etc.

I miss it though. If (when) I leave NJ for a less congested area, it's back to MT for me. For here it's not worth it for me.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

auto for me in the tsx. i consider it borderline luxury so might as well keep the driving simple and worry more about the looks rather than performance. also main reason why i traded for a tsx auto is because of the traffic, too tired of being in traffic with a mt. if i wanted a car for performance or wanted to stay with MT, i would have kept the rsx. i miss it thoe. hopefully i'll get another one down the road. it should be my 'midlife crisis' hehe 30 years from now.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Manual. Just because it's sweet. I'm also an engineer by trade and am really picky (read: anal) about efficiency and proper use of tools for the job.
Ditto
Old 10-08-2003, 03:10 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
It wasn't even a question for me--I wanted 6 MT, and 6 MT only.
Same here. In addition to that, I told the dealers before my purchase that I wanted 6MT SSM/ebony with Navi only, no other combination.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Stick or Auto? Which do you have and.............

Originally posted by jcg878
Sounds like you're in your MT 'honeymoon' phase - thrilled about the car, happy to drive stick. Let us know if you feel the same about 2 years of the garden state parking lot at rush hour. If you still prefer MT, you've passed the test. I think each of us who's gone MT->AT realizes that its much more fun to drive MT, it's just a test of patience about whether one can put up with having to use the clutch in goddawful traffic on Rt 18/GSP/Schukyll Expwy/NYC Tunnels/Ben Franklin Bridge/etc.

I miss it though. If (when) I leave NJ for a less congested area, it's back to MT for me. For here it's not worth it for me.
Trust me this is no honeymoon. I have been driving in this crappy traffic and making this same commute for 8+ years now. The traffic and the 6MT does not bother me at all. I will definitely keep you updated if I should feel different, down the road.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Stick or Auto? Which do you have and.............

Originally posted by jcg878

Trust me this is no honeymoon. I have been driving in this crappy traffic and making this same commute for 8+ years now. The traffic and the 6MT does not bother me at all. I will definitely keep you updated if I should feel different, down the road.